What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***EPL 2019-20 Fantasy League*** Games start on Friday! (2 Viewers)

Ok - back to the grind.  I will roll shortly and send my results to someone

A quick re-cap on the rules for the new owners:

We will have a 17-round draft in this thread.  Rounds 1-16 will snake, Round 17 will be a free-for-all for a set period of time (typically 24-48 hours depending on how close we are to the start of the season.

We have 12 teams - so we will play 6 teams 3 times, and 5 teams 4 times over the 38-week EPL schedule.

Everything is head-to-head - 3 points for a win, and 1 point for the rare tie.  First tiebreaker is total points for the season.

1st = 50%
2nd = 25%
3rd = 15%
4th = 10%
5-12 = pat on the back

For the draft - any player in the world is eligible to be drafted.  So, if @Slapdash wants Messi - he can draft him.  But only stats accumulated in EPL count...  We typically get about 12 or so speculative picks in any given year.  That might be changing as the English Transfer deadline is August 8 - the day before the season starts.  But players are at risk of being bought and sold up to that time (and could even be sold after that date in line with other European transfer deadlines).  After the draft - only players in the fantrax database can be selected.  Fantrax is pretty good about adding players if/when they are added to an EPL team - but all players who are added - must go through waivers first.

I will create a Google spreadsheet that will track the draft - It stays pretty up-to-date - so you can check for previously drafted players.  I will also try to keep the 2nd post in this thread up-to-date, but I usually don't do as well with that...

I also do a reasonably good job at keeping the League web site up-to-date - at least once a day I will add the drafted players to the teams.

LINK to 2018/19 spreadsheet - last year - if you want to get a sense for how the draft went last year (we had 14 teams)

LINK to 2019/20 League - I will add the new owners later this morning - I will use the same email address you used for the dice roll - if you need/want a different email address - send me a PM.

Waivers - Waivers will be set as the reverse order of the draft - so whomever drafts 12th, will have the 1st waiver priority slot.  We run waivers every Wednesday night at 9:00 ET - after waivers run, it is first-come - first-served.  Rosters may be adjusted at any time up to 5-minutes prior to a player's game that week.  So players will lock at various times during a given game week.

New this season - we will have a special waivers run during weeks where the EPL has a mid-week "week" - this won't be until December - I think there are two mid-week weeks scheduled over the christmas period - and maybe a third early in January when they play the 3rd round of the FA cup on a weekend.  I have not settled on the precise details but we will lock that down before those weeks come up - right now I anticipate that I will manually run Waivers at 9:00 ET on Monday or Tuesday of those weeks - depending on when the games are scheduled - and then running a second waiver manually before the weekend - so either Thursday or Friday.   The reason is that players are locked until waivers run - so we could not pick anyone up prior to the mid-week games - and then were also locked out of picking anyone up before the weekend games during that period.

For the new owners - its a surprisingly active league - in terms of roster turnover.  You won't necessarily want to burn a waiver position every week, but you might very well be picking up FAs every week.  (one last thought on the waivers - its a little antiquated, and it dates back to when the transfer window did not close until a few weeks after the season started, and there were a few good players transferred in late in the window - making a waiver pick a bigger priority.  Now with the transfer window closing before the season starts - its a little less important.  But, you still will have some owners saving a high waiver priority until the January window.  Others will use a waiver pick every week.)

Roster - 17 is the maximum roster size.  You can use any reasonable formation.  You must play 1 Keeper, 3 (5 max) defenders, 2 (5 max) MFs, and 1 (3 max) Forward - but within those constraints you can play a 343, 433, 532, 352, etc.

Scoring is listed on the 1st page in the thread - nothing too drastic.  You want players who start - assist/score - and/or keep clean sheets.  Some points awarded for tackles/interceptions, defenders and keepers lose points for conceding goals - everyone loses points for yellows/reds, own goals.

Any questions - please feel free to ask

Player position eligibility - fantrax is the final arbiter of player position eligibility.  Its not an argument I want to be involved in.

Some players will be eligible at multiple positions - Sadio Mane for example is listed as F/M - you can play him at either position.  (M get more points for goals, and are eligible for clean sheet points - but you might also need to start him at forward if you have no other viable alternative, or have 5 other M you want to play)

ETA - and players will gain position eligibility if they play 15 games at a new position this year - but don't come asking me why Player X is listed as a F when they are clearly playing M - fantrax gets their feed from somewhere - and that is the only source we will use.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few questions:

Is there a waiver run between the draft and season starting?

How does the league deal with players/teams that get off cycle due to cup matches?  Some "weeks" a team could have no games, but other "weeks" a team could have multiple games

Will the website keep the calendar of waivers and "weeks"?

What is the draft clock?

A few questions:

Is there a waiver run between the draft and season starting?

How does the league deal with players/teams that get off cycle due to cup matches?  Some "weeks" a team could have no games, but other "weeks" a team could have multiple games

Will the website keep the calendar of waivers and "weeks"?

What is the draft clock?
1.  Depends on when we finish the draft.  Last year we ran waivers, I think the year before we did not.

2.  Just the luck (good/bad) of the draw - you may end up short one game-week, and may double up another week.  This really is not an issue until the spring - but all the fantasy clubs have to deal with that roster management - i.e. there will be a lot of teams that will have open weeks when the FA cup gets going in the 4th round and onward.  I don't think this is an issue with the league cup in the fall.

3.  Yes - waivers are automatically scheduled to run Wednesdays at 9:00 PM - we will manually run waivers on those weeks when the league has scheduled a "week" for Tuesday/Wednesday - on your team page - you can select a tab "Schedule - Period" and it will list the matches in the given week for your players.  Likewise - you can do the same on the "Players" page - so you can see any FA's schedule in a given week.

4.  We don't generally have a draft clock - it moves fairly quickly during the week, and slows down a bit on the weekend.  We just ask that people keep an eye on the draft, and after you pick send a PM to the person next in line, and tag them in a post.

On the multiple games per week - last year - week 36 - I played Jmon - and we each started players with a total of 19 (i.e 8 extra starts for each team) games that week - so you get creative on the Waiver wire/ free-agent pick ups looking for players who might be viable with double weeks.

Final score was 75-74.3

A good score in a given week is generally 40ish - but this year it might be a little higher with fewer teams.

1.  Depends on when we finish the draft.  Last year we ran waivers, I think the year before we did not.

2.  Just the luck (good/bad) of the draw - you may end up short one game-week, and may double up another week.  This really is not an issue until the spring - but all the fantasy clubs have to deal with that roster management - i.e. there will be a lot of teams that will have open weeks when the FA cup gets going in the 4th round and onward.  I don't think this is an issue with the league cup in the fall.

3.  Yes - waivers are automatically scheduled to run Wednesdays at 9:00 PM - we will manually run waivers on those weeks when the league has scheduled a "week" for Tuesday/Wednesday - on your team page - you can select a tab "Schedule - Period" and it will list the matches in the given week for your players.  Likewise - you can do the same on the "Players" page - so you can see any FA's schedule in a given week.

4.  We don't generally have a draft clock - it moves fairly quickly during the week, and slows down a bit on the weekend.  We just ask that people keep an eye on the draft, and after you pick send a PM to the person next in line, and tag them in a post.
Largely what I thought, thanks.

With fewer teams this year can we consider adding one more roster spot?  It will be crucial to ensure a full starting lineup each week and the extra roster spot will help w/ that.

One more tidbit on schedules and fantrax - generally the EPL "week" runs from Friday to Monday - with most matches on Saturday/Sunday.

When games start getting rescheduled, Fantrax will generally lump games from Tuesday to Monday into a given week (other than specifically designated mid-week weeks).

These game weeks do not always coincide with the official EPL fantasy game - if you play that also - where I think they lump games from Friday to Thursday into one game week.

So yeah, drafting this late basically sucks. Every player I kinda like is in danger of being sold.

So I'll take the most talented and hope he doesn't

1. 11 Paul Pogba- MF Man United.

Users who are viewing this thread