What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What songs make you misty eyed? (3 Viewers)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
None of us dare cry to a song; that's just not how we roll.  However, there are a few tunes that make our allergies act up.  Here's a couple of mine.  

Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin.  It reminds me of the relationship with my father and how we don't keep in touch as well as we'd both like, similar to the relationship he had with his father.

Chandelier - Sia.  It reminds me of my ex and that she's a tortured soul due to childhood trauma.  

Uh, so many. Too many to name. 

Start with NOFX's Linoleum for today

Chicago - Sufjan Stevens 

For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her - Simon and Garfunkel

Etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was crying
In the van, with my friend
It was for freedom
From myself and from the land

I've made a lot of mistakes in my mind in my mind

Last edited:
My answer could easily be labelled as "off target" for what the OP's question is--but I will sometimes get sad if I hear a song from a musician that I like that is decesased.  If I hear music from Chris Cornell (or bands that feature Cornell), Nirvana, Linkin Park, David Bowie, Prince, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Bowie, Prince, Nipsey, Tupac--I still enjoy the music--but I find that my enjoyment comes with a slight feeling of sadness that they are no longer around. 

There are several that I have sentimental ties to that can evoke emotions when the mood is right. But the one I'll mention is different.

I was in the car with my kids back in 2007 and the local country radio station was on and they played a new track from Jason Michael Carroll called Alyssa Lies. It gave me chills and had tears streaming down my face. Pretty intense first reaction. Watched that video just now and it still gives me the chills and the lumpy throat. I can't think of another song (that doesn't have deep personal meaning) that has ever done that to me. 

Several, but the unplugged cover of Where Did you Sleep Last Night immediately comes to mind.  You can feel the pain he's expressing throughout the song, but especially the end.  Then we all know what happened a few months later.

This is more about my mom than me. I was on vacation with my family last week, and my mom and I were sitting around the pool waiting to go down to the beach, and Glen Campbell's version of Yesterday When I Was Young started playing on the Bluetooth speaker,  and my mom started crying. I asked her what was wrong, and she said the song reminded of her of my dad, and that she was losing him. He has had MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment) for several years, and his memory is getting much worse.  :(

about a year after my dad died i was driving down the highway and this song came on.   after a bit, something hit me and i started sobbing, for a good couple minutes.   It was not a song he had probably ever heard, but i had and i knew it was a song he would have loved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtBTqXjeEvc

the first time i heard this song and listened to the lyrics i got choked up, probably for the same reasons (my dad)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHCob76kigA

My Little Girl- Tim McGraw
Yep my daughter went off to college last fall and I heard that song a few days before we were moving her into the dorms...just about lost it.

Pipes said:
Yep my daughter went off to college last fall and I heard that song a few days before we were moving her into the dorms...just about lost it.
Same scenario for me.  Our youngest, and it was hardest off all of them when she went to school.

This is the song that always seems to tap into my emotions regarding Chance.  The hope.  The helplessness.  The joy.  The despair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4V3Mo61fJM 

When you try your best but you don't succeed

When you get what you want but not what you need

When you feel so tired but you can't sleep

Stuck in reverse

When the tears come streaming down your face

When you lose something you can't replace

When you love someone but it goes to waste

Could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home

And ignite your bones

And I will try to fix you

High up above or down below

When you're too in love to let it go

If you never try you'll never know

Just what you're worth

And ignite your bones

Tears stream down your face

When you lose something you cannot replace

And I

I promise you I will learn from all my mistakes

And I

And ignite your bones

On the evening of Fathers Day 2019 I took my mp3 player on a jog with 2000 songs on shuffle play and Eric Clapton's "My Father's Eyes" came up during the run.  That one hit me pretty good (as it had been almost exactly 10 years since he passed).

Apple Jack said:
Only time it's happened was the coda of Mississippi Half-Step driving across the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset not long after Jerry passed.
"He's Gone" still messes me up. 

The Best Day - George Strait

Letting Go - Suzy Bogguss

Songs about kids growing up and leaving the nest. 

If Tomorrow Never Comes - Garth Brooks 

Three come to mind. They may seem silly, but...

Jim Brickman - Dream Come True - I played this song for whatever reason in my car's CD player one day when I was driving home from work. My first son had just been born, and for whatever reason all those emotions spilled out with this song playing in the background. I learned to play this song on the piano for my wife. Automatic panty removal at this point whenever I play it for her.

This one I wrote - Because of You. - I wrote this in about 5 minutes watching my neighbor's son pack the car with his duffel bags heading back to the Navy after some leave at home. The first time I sang it I couldn't get through it. Every time I play this song I tear up. 

PAW - Seasoned Glove. When I was 9 my parents split up, but my dad had been walking out on my mom for a couple of years. I would look in the garage every morning to see if his car was there, and it never was. Anyway, I've carried a ton of hate in my body for 40 years. I heard this song (which was actually written by one of my friends from kindergarten), and all these emotions came flooding out and reminded me of the time when I really needed and wanted my dad. Damn, I'm tearing up just typing this.  :lol:

Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits - a girl once broke my heart and this was the song I'd wallow in misery to until I sacked up and moved on with life.
My wife refuses to accept that the Dire Straits’ “Romeo & Juliet” is better than the Indigo Girls’ cover.  Should be one of those topics that isn’t open for debate, but somehow is.

Clapton

The acoustic version of “Circus” by Clapton (the one from the ‘Unplugged’ he did on MTV) get me.

Since I Lost You  - Genesis

There Goes My Life - Kenny Chesney

Enough to be on Your Way - James Taylor

Ships - Barry Manilow  :(

John Denver - Take me home, Country Roads.

Santo and Johnny - Sleepwalk (no lyrics, so special)

Bill Frisell - Shenandoah (also no lyrics)

Elvis - If we never meet again this side of heaven 

And to contradict myself on being upbeat - Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison.  I have a wife and 2 daughters with brown eyes.  Doesn’t always choke me up but most times it does - especially when my youngest puts it on for me because she knows I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread