What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What songs make you misty eyed? (1 Viewer)

Butterfly Kisses.   

When OKC was bombed in 1995 I was home on leave visiting my wife's family in the Tulsa area.   After everything cleared we made a trip up to see damage.  Everyone was putting pictures of their killed family members.  Some people had placed stuffed bears as well with the pictures of all the kids who were killed.   I knew that I didn't want to read any of the letters but for some reason the one I stopped to read was from a father to his daughter who got killed in the bombing.  The father wrote a lot about how he was going to miss his daughter growing up into a lovely woman but most of all he was going to miss her butterfly kisses.    I can't even listen to the song.  I just turn it off or switch the channel. 

"See you Again" it happened to play on the radio on the drive to my grandpa's funeral and it gets me every time. It plays it in the final scene with Paul Walker in FnF7. 

I have a few.

The Wolf- Mumford and Sons

Put my dog to sleep around the time this came out and it really struck a chord for me.

Country Roads- Mountain Man

A folky female acoustic remake of the John Denver tune. I was listening to satellite radio one day recently with my kids in the car. This song came on, I'd never heard this version. My 2 year old daughter,  who is crazy cute and the absolute center of my universe, says excitedly " I wike dis song!" First time she's ever said that, and we listen to a lot of music in my house. I know I'll hear this in 10 or 20 or 30 years and completely lose it.

Last one is the real deal. I spent a few weeks in NY and DC after 9-11 for work (TV news). Saw some things that will be with me forever. Tough trip. Within a few days of returning home, I attended a Dropkick Murphys show.  They dedicated This one to the victims and first responders.  Seeing 400 punks in tears was next-level craziness. But this is my go-to song now when someone important passes. 

I seriously envy people that can draw that much emotion from a song or a movie. I have honestly never cried from either and have come to realize that it's more of a problem with me.

That said, I do associate Green Day's Time of Your Life with my dad who died not long after and it does make me think of him when I hear it.

Taps

Goodnight my Angel - Billy Joel

I'll never get over you getting over me - Expose

Daddy Don't you walk so fast - Wayne Newton

Rocky - Austin Roberts

Apple Jack said:
Only time it's happened was the coda of Mississippi Half-Step driving across the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset not long after Jerry passed.
Listening to Bobby sing this on the day of Jerry's death can do it for me.

Pinegrove - Old Friends

Doesn't make me cry, but a very emotional song

Walking out in the nighttime springtime
Needling my way home
I saw Leah on the bus a few months ago
I saw some old friends at her funeral

My steps keep splitting my grief
Through these solipsistic moods
I should call my parents when I think of them
Should tell my friends when I love them

Waaaaaaaay too many to count for me.

Here are just a quick few i can think of

Tracy Chapman -  Fast Car

Hum - Stars

Sia - Breath me

Talking heads - this must be the place

Nirvana- all apologies

NIN hurt (reznor gets me misty...cash ca. Get me ballin)

The cheers theme song

The verve pipe - Freshman

Petty - Learning to fly (especially live) and Crawling back to you

Tool H

Wu tang - can it all be so simple

Simon/Garfunkel- The sound of silence

Counting crows - round here/raining in Baltimore 

Soul asylum- runaway train

Yea yea yeahs - maps

All 4 one - i swear

The horrible crows- i believe jesus brought us together 

Pete rock CL smooth- they reminisce over you

Tupac - dear mama

Blink 182 Adams song

Ben folds - brick

Floyd- wish you were here

Depeche mode -enjoy the silence

Radiohead - fake plastic trees

I got issues, I'm going to bed now

U2 - Bad.  

Will randomly tear up sometimes when I hear it.  The live version.  

There are so many incredible live performances, but this one from Rome back in 2010-11 is the best (with All I Want is You snippet):

https://youtu.be/LEzIV1Lc-cQ

Nathan R. Jessep said:
There are several that I have sentimental ties to that can evoke emotions when the mood is right. But the one I'll mention is different.

I was in the car with my kids back in 2007 and the local country radio station was on and they played a new track from Jason Michael Carroll called Alyssa Lies. It gave me chills and had tears streaming down my face. Pretty intense first reaction. Watched that video just now and it still gives me the chills and the lumpy throat. I can't think of another song (that doesn't have deep personal meaning) that has ever done that to me. 
If you haven’t listened to this one, you should. I can barely even think of this song without it putting me in some kind of mood and that’s with no personal connection to something like that. 

My wife refuses to accept that the Dire Straits’ “Romeo & Juliet” is better than the Indigo Girls’ cover.  Should be one of those topics that isn’t open for debate, but somehow is.
Indigo Girls are decent but I honestly had no clue they even did a cover of that song.

Comfortably Numb finally got to Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. The other that immediately came to mind was Black by Pearl Jam.

So if you guys have this reaction, is it the song itself, or is there a specific connection with that song to a life event that triggers the tears?

The Rainbow Connection.

First, I really love this song. I was 11 years old when this came out, and it was a special tune for me.

More importantly though, I had to find this link for @otb_lifer👍

I know how strongly he feels about it ... 

Why are there so many songs about rainbows  and what's on the other side? 🤷‍♂️
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection 💁‍♂️🌈
The lovers, the dreamers and OTB🌈🙆‍♂️
Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices? 🤦‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Constant Sorrow said:
First, I really love this song. I was 11 years old when this came out, and it was a special tune for me.

More importantly though, I had to find this link for @otb_lifer👍

I know how strongly he feels about it ... 

Why are there so many songs about rainbows  and what's on the other side? 🤷‍♂️
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection 💁‍♂️🌈
The lovers, the dreamers and OTB🌈🙆‍♂️
Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices? 🤦‍♂️
you shoeless, heartless, CRUEL bastid!!1!  :censored:

i am both appalled and disturbed - this was not how i planned on spending the morning of the 5th - you, @Man of Constant Sorrow, have bought me much of that sorrow -i gotta clean my palette

carry on. 

:shock:

Shoeless? Of course.

Heartless? Well, I have had a pericardiectomy ... close enuff?

Cruel? Cruella!

Bastid? Why yes ... yes in fact.

You are good at this!

i am both appalled and disturbed -
You are disturbed - no doubt in my mind. It is appalling!

this was not how i planned on spending the morning of the 5th -
Boo F'n Hoo!

you, @Man of Constant Sorrow, have bought me much of that sorrow
I am also widely known as Sorry Claus for that very reason ...🎅

-i gotta clean my palette

carry on. 

Dump, dump, dump, dump
Aaaah!

🦌🦌🦌🦌🏍️

i am both appalled and disturbed - this was not how i planned on spending the morning of the 5th - you, @Man of Constant Sorrow, have bought me much of that sorrow -i gotta clean my palette

carry on. 

Heh. I love this -- and I love the Rainbow Connection.

Dude, missed you in Newark but there was no way after flying across the ocean that I was going to be able to meet up for the first time, dead to the world, uttering nonsense, worried about making a connection. I plan on an East Coast trip in six months or so to Boston or NY. Let's try and get together, my friend.

Payce. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Leroy Hoard said:
The one where he says how much he loves his son yet never seemed to have the time to be around him?
That seems a harsh read.

How about it is about a dad who mistakenly thinks he's too busy today, but will have time tomorrow until he realizes he is out of tomorrows?

I have this song on "favorites" playlist.  When my kids were younger, once in a very long while I would head out to a friends house to play poker, or video games.  I would put on my playlist and innevitably this song would come on.  Several times I almost turned my car around.

Agree with Daddy’s Little Girl. Another Tim McGraw one - Don’t Take the Girl. 

If Tomorrow Never Comes another great call  

Truly from Lionel Richie was our wedding song. Have a great wife and it gets me misty eyed when I hear it still 

Walk me out- Morning Dew Grateful Dead version

The day after my youngest was born, my Megan had the worst back pain. And for somebody 4'11" and 100 lbs., she was tougher than $3 steak, never complained about anything. I knew something was wrong. After ultrasound, and MRI and CT scans, a friend of ours, her OB-GYN walked in her hospital room and just started bawling. Breast cancer spread everywhere: bones, lungs, liver. Their estimates were about 6 months left., and hospice care.

After processing the news, and holding myself together, I walked out to my car for a smoke. There was a ####'s Picks Dead CD from a '79 show already loaded. This song came on and I just wept like a baby. Still chokes me up to listen to it.

Pipes said:
Yep my daughter went off to college last fall and I heard that song a few days before we were moving her into the dorms...just about lost it.
I have a couple of teenage daughters myself. The song that gets me is I Loved her First by Heartland

Heh. I love this -- and I love the Rainbow Connection.

Dude, missed you in Newark but there was no way after flying across the ocean that I was going to be able to meet up for the first time, dead to the world, uttering nonsense, worried about making a connection. I plan on an East Coast trip in six months or so to Boston or NY. Let's try and get together, my friend.

Payce. 

yeah, no worries ... woulda been sweet, but somethin' tells me we'll cross paths eventually. 

and MoCS ... and Wik

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread