What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Parade route - saving spots by putting out chairs/rope (1 Viewer)

Fishboy

Footballguy
Driving around my town today and see many chairs out or areas roped off on the parade route.  Of course all the prime locations in the shade under trees, etc. 

Some are a bit more creative and have a chain and lock around the stuff.  Heck, there were even a couple of those tent/canopy's all set up.  Parade isn't until tomorrow obviously.

Have to admit, I was tempted to veer a bit out of the lane and just take some of these set ups out, but that's not the holiday spirit.  I'd be tempted to take their whole set up and move it 10 feet further off the road and set up my own stuff.  See how that would be received tomorrow morning. 

People amaze me sometimes.

I'll give credit to the homeowners who put stakes in the ground with a rope strung through them to "reserve" their own f'n front yard. 

I had no idea this was a thing.  I would suggest that if you do not have a live person there asserting your possessory rights that one cannot stake out public thoroughfares and lay claim to them.  In fact I consider the items abandoned property, free for the taking.
yep...free stuff!

gotta love the people who lay out a full king sized bed sheet and then have a bunch of crap and just 2 people on it

I had no idea this was a thing.  I would suggest that if you do not have a live person there asserting your possessory rights that one cannot stake out public thoroughfares and lay claim to them.  In fact I consider the items abandoned property, free for the taking.
Exactly my stance when I inherit a new tent or two. Assuming you'll be representing me of course. 

My town holds a pretty well-known parade for the 4th.  I don't think I've ever been.  No desire to go.

Instead, I'll take my kids to my parents' house... as my old street is lined with houses full of kids that put on their own parade down our rarely-traveled little street.

The kids will decorate their bikes, scooters, etc... and ride a good length of the street while parents relax and cheer the kids on.

Pot-luck breakfast before the parade... fireworks later.  Good times.  

This has been going on in my town for so long it's almost freaking famous.  People start putting out chairs 3 to 4 weeks ahead of time.

Ridiculous. 

We go every year for the kids. I have it all planned out every year. Parade starts at 9 but we get to this key spot where I can park and walk right up to a spot that is never thick with people. We usually get there around 9:45 right when the main floats and bands are rolling by for the kids. Parade usually ends by 10, 10:15. We get back to the car before people even pack up their stuff and pull away in the car before any traffic. Whole thing is usually a half hour tops. Kids are happy. I'm happy for not having to claim a spot and deal with traffic. I'd lose my fn mind if I had to deal with actual parade crowds and BS.

Our town has a notoriously long 4tg of July parade. Kids have outgrown going and scrambling for candy so this is the first year we'll not go. I will miss mocking the quality of floats, but a little relieved to not sit through a 3 or 4 hour parade. 

If people wanted to camp it out and stay in the tents overnight, more power to them. Cool. But saving spots by simply roping off chairs is lame.

Can you have your dog pee on the chairs?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never bought something for myself from a starbucks and I've never been to a parade.    I'm convinced I'm happier for it.   

My town holds a pretty well-known parade for the 4th.  I don't think I've ever been.  No desire to go.

Instead, I'll take my kids to my parents' house... as my old street is lined with houses full of kids that put on their own parade down our rarely-traveled little street.

The kids will decorate their bikes, scooters, etc... and ride a good length of the street while parents relax and cheer the kids on.

Pot-luck breakfast before the parade... fireworks later.  Good times.  
This is the true holiday spirit.

Not for parades, but for the fireworks here. People go to the park days ahead and lay out rope to mark large swathes of territory that they somehow claim. City lets them do it. I don't get it TBH. I think if you want to lay claim to a large piece of turf, you should at least be required to have a person there to occupy it. The 4th pales compared to Easter though where they start camping out a WEEK ahead of time. Ruins it for everyone that has to work for a living. Want to show up on Easter and enjoy the park? Don't even think about it!

Parades are awful.  It's been years since I have had to go to one and I hope to never go again.  
Last time I went to a parade must have been Veterans Day about 15 years ago.  My oldest son (6th grade at the time) was in the school marching band.  He played drums.  But there were more drummers than drums so the more experienced 8th graders got to play.

My son, along with the other extras,  still had to march.  They were given an extra flute or trumpet or clarinet and told to just march along and act like they were playing. I don’t think they were issued reeds or mouthpieces even.  I guess the idea was to fill in the ranks and make the band look bigger.

My kid hated it.  He told me “if Mr. Holland makes me do this at the Christmas parade I’m sneaking a trumpet mouthpiece from my friend Jacob and make us sound really bad”. :lmao:

At 630am yesterday...drove down main street and have to say there were maybe 1000-2000 chairs out on main street?

We have a pretty locally popular 4th. I dont mean Macy's but i mean its known several other larger towns come to our town for the festivities. 

I, early on would think its a bit dooshy putting chairs out but being in the small town, now i see...you have a lot of the same groups going to their main spots so they claim them before out of towners take em.

Our 1st couple years in town we went to the parade just as a family of 4. We walked over found a spot plopped down. Following year we put chairs out in the mornin as eveyone did. Last several years we don't as we are in a large group of friends whose grandma will put out 18 chairs to claim a corner so all the kids can have a spot to all be together. 

I was never really for parades but now the 4th has gotten to be one of my favorite holidays and the parade is part of it as there is a fun filled day with all types of fun.

800am i ran the 5k with my 10yo son. That was brutally rough but had a great time.

13 year old daughter didn't run this year as she was scheduled to be in the parade cause of her softball team won their district. 

Son and i got home at 915

Showered and got dressed to go to the parade.

Made me a laaaaarge vodka drink in my yeti and we walked over to the parade spot.

The whole crew spends 1000-1130 in the sun drinking and watching the parade. You see alot of local kids in the parade.  The kids see their friends. The kids are all on the side of the road collecting candy being thrown by the parade's. 

The bagpipes guys are always my favorite.  The school band is good. The mummers are cool. You get a few bands on floats doing their thing. Fireman, local military  vets and EMS etc...

Parade ends we walk back home rest up and munch. At 3 we go to  BBQ. Some friend has about 50-100 people come in/out throughout the night. Tons of kids in the pool. Around 830 we leave and go to a other friends house and have a clear wiew of the fireworks from the pool.

Hang out there til around 1130 and then head back home. 

Loooong day of walking/swimming/standing/running and drinking.

When we left for the BBQ my 10yo son asks 

Dad where are we going after Kelly's house?

Me: Aiden's house to watch fireworks.

Son: yay! 4th of July is the best

I mean once the kids are grown up not sure how much more i will go to the parade but maybe i will go to just to use it as a reminder of all the good times we had as a family. 

So i guess...put me down as a parade fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m so happy my kids have no interest in parades or fireworks anymore. No parades or post firework gridlock for me anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread