What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Earthquake - Check-in if you felt it (1 Viewer)

F yeah I felt it.  

I was trying to take a quick nap on the couch.  Thought my dog was bumping against the couch.  But he’s only 15lbs.  

Looked around and window blinds were swaying, water in aquarium was sloshing big time.

Haven’t felt a quake like that since Northridge.

Upstairs on the third level of my condo in Glendale/Pasadena area while on my PC. Gave me a start as it kept going (about 20-30 seconds) to the point that I went downstairs and was ready to run outside if it got worse as my place is built on a slope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made me a little dizzy. I couldn't tell when it even stopped. Dog next door was going berserkers for a good 2 minutes.

Multiple aftershocks. I'd post a few pics of broken roads and burning homes from town if I could on here. Saying there could possibly be a stronger one later. 
My dad is alone in his home in Irvine. Really hope no more. He can only walk slow with a cane or he falls (he's post stroke). 

Good to hear.  I mean about everyone being safe. Not the part about having to live in Ridgecrest.
Hey now. You may recall I am in lovely Ridgecrest. I was cooking sides for the 4th bbq when it hit. It was some roller but no real damage here. A toilet popped out of the bathroom floor. The damage is... i dunno. Not terrible. A friend with a great car collection lost his house. Maybe another couple dozen max... all to fire. Anyway, I spent the day helping clean up our Albertson's where a couple family members work. 

Hey now. You may recall I am in lovely Ridgecrest. I was cooking sides for the 4th bbq when it hit. It was some roller but no real damage here. A toilet popped out of the bathroom floor. The damage is... i dunno. Not terrible. A friend with a great car collection lost his house. Maybe another couple dozen max... all to fire. Anyway, I spent the day helping clean up our Albertson's where a couple family members work. 
Glad to hear you came out OK. Sucks for your friend.

How bad was Albertsons hit? A lot of Refreshe soda and Snack Artists chips destroyed?

Glad to hear you came out OK. Sucks for your friend.

How bad was Albertsons hit? A lot of Refreshe soda and Snack Artists chips destroyed?
Thanks. I was in Northridge for that one too. This one just dumped the content of the shelves on the floor. I had pickle duty. Same with Walmart and the other groceries. Half the town has had a power out since it hit. My side of town, closest to the epicenter never lost power, internet for 30 minutes. I had a pretty good laugh at Ridgecrest tweakers (a very specific breed) turned looters. There's too many people in a panic and thinking the end is nigh. The base commander ordered an evacuation, so did the hospital. I am taking bets there will NOT be anther 6 or above. We had a dozen around 4 - 4.5. 

Thanks. I was in Northridge for that one too. This one just dumped the content of the shelves on the floor. I had pickle duty. Same with Walmart and the other groceries. Half the town has had a power out since it hit. My side of town, closest to the epicenter never lost power, internet for 30 minutes. I had a pretty good laugh at Ridgecrest tweakers (a very specific breed) turned looters. There's too many people in a panic and thinking the end is nigh. The base commander ordered an evacuation, so did the hospital. I am taking bets there will NOT be anther 6 or above. We had a dozen around 4 - 4.5. 
Tweekers gonna tweek. 

Sister felt it this morning in Vegas. She thought she was fainting and my bil thought he was just really high.

I could walk to the epicenter if it wasn't on the base. 6/7 miles or so. I think I might drive as close as a I can... which would put me in the middle of the desert... and see what these feel like up close. I can get as close as a mile. 

You're kidding me? Didn't know there were any Ridgecrest people on here. Was out last year. Be out again next year. 

I haven’t felt any others since the big one.
The big one was 9 miles from my place. There's maps of the aftershocks for any who care. The group closest to town are within two miles of my house. Seven 3.8-4.0 quakes and minimal damage. A mirror fell. Toilet came off the floor. Neighbor's pool drained unexpectedly. Crazy how this would have wrecked LA and here? A few house fires. A couple poorly built homes are totaled. Pickles everywhere. 

I was with my wife and kids on the Santa Monica pier when in hit and we definitely all felt it.  Gave us a little scare and we instantly knew it was a earthquake.

The big one was 9 miles from my place. There's maps of the aftershocks for any who care. The group closest to town are within two miles of my house. Seven 3.8-4.0 quakes and minimal damage. A mirror fell. Toilet came off the floor. Neighbor's pool drained unexpectedly. Crazy how this would have wrecked LA and here? A few house fires. A couple poorly built homes are totaled. Pickles everywhere. 
Damn, dude.  I think after the 20 or 30th one I’d get out of Dodge.  Come down here to God’s Country.   If you hurry you can catch the festivities at River Walk Park.  Mento Buru is playing (all 17 members probably).  

I guess they don’t do the big show up at B.C. any more.  Probably one too many stabbings in the parking lot.

Damn, dude.  I think after the 20 or 30th one I’d get out of Dodge.  Come down here to God’s Country.   If you hurry you can catch the festivities at River Walk Park.  Mento Buru is playing (all 17 members probably).  

I guess they don’t do the big show up at B.C. any more.  Probably one too many stabbings in the parking lot.
My daughter is home from UCLA for the summer. She has a box of Nevada grade fireworks, but more importantly four of her friends are here tonight and off to Vegas tomorrow. The pool hasn't looked so good in years. I cook. Wild horses couldn't drag me away.... and booooommmm another aftershock as I type. haha

caltech measured it at 4.0 5 miles from my house

Glad to hear everyone is safe.

Looks like a lot of minor quakes going on in the PNW are over the last few hours (b/w 1.5-2.5 M) with what looks like a larger 4.6M event off the coast of Canada out in the ocean past Queen Charlotte Sound.

Not sure if the frequency of these quakes is within normal historical distribution but wouldn't be surprised if this activity is picking up as a result of the large one in Ridgecrest -- and you would much rather have small frequent dispersed quakes relieving fault pressure than have it all sit and build for a massive one centered in a high density population area.

As @bradyfan kindly pointed out with a link, for those of us on the West Coast, preparation and planning is key. 

I’m not trying to interject politics here but...

Say what you will about California being a “nanny state” with all of our laws and regulations, and I’ll agree things can get silly for sure, but there’s a reason why there were no fatalities yesterday.  I mean aside from luck and that Ridgecrest isn’t heavily populated

Earthquake safety is something we do NOT fool around with.  Construction, retrofitting etc.

Whoa, Nicole was in town and I missed it. There is little "whoa" damage. I buy gas and lotto tickets at Eastridge. I know everyone in that vid. The kids doing the play at the HS is pretty intense, I guess, but no one was hurt and it was over fast. I drove around town after midnight and you would never know we had a major quake. Sleepy, quiet, we good. 

Users who are viewing this thread