What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Earthquake - Check-in if you felt it (1 Viewer)

how old is your wife?
40. Has a sister and 7 brothers all ages, though. Just talked to one of her brothers on the phone and they're driving out toward Trona to the fault line. Other brother called into the plant to assess damages.  2 of her brothers have power at their houses. As you probably know, he said a couple gas stations are open and lined up out the door. 

If you ever see a big Snap-on tool truck in town, that's one of my brother-in-laws
Pretty sure the only Snap-on guy in town is down the hill from me a block or three from Eastridge Market. I drive by the "Snap-on house" every day. It has power atm. I am 57. Any of them up there like me?

Pretty sure the only Snap-on guy in town is down the hill from me a block or three from Eastridge Market. I drive by the "Snap-on house" every day. It has power atm. I am 57. Any of them up there like me?
That's him. Lives right across from the Jehovah's Witness church. We usually come out every couple years. My oldest in laws are early 50s.

That's him. Lives right across from the Jehovah's Witness church. We usually come out every couple years. My oldest in laws are early 50s.
What a small world. The house I flipped last summer was three doors from the JW church. I spent my HS years a nine iron in the other direction. Mid 50s and went to Burroughs, we would probably know each other by name at least. It was that small a town back then. Early 50s, I was long gone.

Apparently < 5.0 since the Earthquake Robot didn't register it. 

(Twitter:  @earthquakeBot)
caltech reported 3.5 11 miles ESE of Little Lake. Which puts it at the base of the Coso Mountains on the Navy Base. The distance between these quakes has been about 25 miles from Trona to Little Lake. The Little Lake ones seem to hit a little harder for some reason, jolts as opposed to rolling.

caltech reported 3.5 11 miles ESE of Little Lake. Which puts it at the base of the Coso Mountains on the Navy Base. The distance between these quakes has been about 25 miles from Trona to Little Lake. The Little Lake ones seem to hit a little harder for some reason, jolts as opposed to rolling.
KGET just posted some pics on FB of your Albertsons.  

KGET just posted some pics on FB of your Albertsons.  
There's two. The one that had the fire is where I have been helping out. The military evacuation has created paranoia in my inner circle. "They know, they know... the big one is coming." So a pretty large extended family migration to Vegas is underway. I might go. I want to stay. :shrug:

There's two. The one that had the fire is where I have been helping out. The military evacuation has created paranoia in my inner circle. "They know, they know... the big one is coming." So a pretty large extended family migration to Vegas is underway. I might go. I want to stay. :shrug:
I just checked and was surprised to see that you’re only about 45 mins closer to Vegas than I am.  I need to brush up on my local geography.

I’m not trying to interject politics here but...

Say what you will about California being a “nanny state” with all of our laws and regulations, and I’ll agree things can get silly for sure, but there’s a reason why there were no fatalities yesterday.  I mean aside from luck and that Ridgecrest isn’t heavily populated

Earthquake safety is something we do NOT fool around with.  Construction, retrofitting etc.
@laura_nelson

Good news from Ridgecrest and Trona, the California Mojave Desert towns rocked by a 7.1 magnitude earthquake last night. Per Kern County Fire Chief David Witt, there are no deaths, no major injuries and no major building collapses.
I think this is the better story. I have driven around the whole town several times and it looks same as it ever was. Not only are there NO major building collapses, there is little road damage, very few lost homes. Businesses are opening. I'm getting tires. Most fast food is open. Walmart is open. Home Depot is open. It is very close to just another day here. And that is amazing.

I think this is the better story. I have driven around the whole town several times and it looks same as it ever was. Not only are there NO major building collapses, there is little road damage, very few lost homes. Businesses are opening. I'm getting tires. Most fast food is open. Walmart is open. Home Depot is open. It is very close to just another day here. And that is amazing.
Right before the 1989 quake in SF there was one of a similar magnitude in Khazakstan that killed something like 50,000 people.  Pretty good reminder of how good we have it here.

ETA:  Wikipedia tells me it was shortly after the SF quake.  In Armenia.  And 25,000 died.  Basically the same intensity (6.8 vs 6.9) and the deaths were 1000 times greater.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was stunning to me is if you look on Wiki at the other California quakes bigger than this one, it’s amazing how few people have died in any of this things.  Mostly it’s like:

-This year/this quake: 1 fatality, 6 injuries, some property damage

-This year/this quake: some property damage

-This year/this quake: some property damage and a few injured

While these earthquakes SEEM terrifying to us east coast/smart people, it seems realty is they’re nothing all that bad at all.  Other than the fact that they’re totally terrifying.  

What was stunning to me is if you look on Wiki at the other California quakes bigger than this one, it’s amazing how few people have died in any of this things.  Mostly it’s like:

While these earthquakes SEEM terrifying to us east coast/smart people, it seems realty is they’re nothing all that bad at all.  Other than the fact that they’re totally terrifying.  
Keep in mind a few things.

Ridgecrest is like 27k in population.  And it’s pretty spread out. Plenty of open land.  

It also wasn’t incorporated until the 1960s.  Their population was around 15k in 1980.  That means most structures were built in accordance to strict CA building standards.  You’re not going to see a bunch of old unreinforced masonry buildings like the older parts of CA.

They also had a 6.0 quake in 1995.  This probably weeded out any weaknesses that probably could have been catastrophic in 2019.

Not to mention the residents of that area are hardy folk.  Carved out of stone by the desert winds and unforgiving sun...and boredom.

Keep in mind a few things.

Ridgecrest is like 27k in population.  And it’s pretty spread out. Plenty of open land.  

It also wasn’t incorporated until the 1960s.  Their population was around 15k in 1980.  That means most structures were built in accordance to strict CA building standards.  You’re not going to see a bunch of old unreinforced masonry buildings like the older parts of CA.

They also had a 6.0 quake in 1995.  This probably weeded out any weaknesses that probably could have been catastrophic in 2019.

Not to mention the residents of that area are hardy folk.  Carved out of stone by the desert winds and unforgiving sun...and boredom.
1995 was nada for damage too. I think the building regulations is a good story. we were shook like few places have been shook and i cannot find one issue with my house and a dozen neighbors homes. my sis had a branch take out some spanish tiles on her roof. my nephew thought it was fun. his house undamaged. and on and on. we are fine.

well we are fortunate because of the locations. had this hit LA, SF, even SD... it would be a catastrophe. there would  be many dead and untold damages.

Still having aftershocks 
also we have hundreds of faults out here. a hundred earthquakes a day is very common. we just rarely feel them. so some pressure built up and released. no real harm done. nice to know we can withstand so much and have mcdonald's open for breakfast, the infrastructure in good condition, no serious injuries, and very minor damage. gas water electricity all good. 

1995 was nada for damage too. I think the building regulations is a good story. we were shook like few places have been shook and i cannot find one issue with my house and a dozen neighbors homes. 
:goodposting:

And it goes beyond just building codes purse hay.

There are a ton of regulations especially when it comes to public buildings.

Charles Barkley could do chin ups on the mount that holds the TV up in my classroom.  The screws/bolts that keep it mounted are some John Holmes looking hardware.

Sometimes it is even somewhat ridiculous.  

We can’t even have empty boxes on top of the cupboards in our classrooms.  

1995 was nada for damage too. I think the building regulations is a good story. we were shook like few places have been shook and i cannot find one issue with my house and a dozen neighbors homes. my sis had a branch take out some spanish tiles on her roof. my nephew thought it was fun. his house undamaged. and on and on. we are fine.
Wife was still there at that time and remembers it. Just pictures off the wall

sorrh my english is vague. he burned it to the ground. adjuster called it arson.
Arson is one of the hardest things to prove. The fire Marshall can certainly tell if a fire was intentionally set- proving who did it and that it was intentional is the hard part. And LO-FN-L at an insurance adjuster having any qualifications to prove anything. 

Full disclosure, none of this is directed at you as you’re just sharing the story and no,  It wasn’t me who burned the house down! 

https://media.tenor.com/images/4d06c3a18b3d51160545ff1ae5cb807d/tenor.gif

Arson is one of the hardest things to prove. The fire Marshall can certainly tell if a fire was intentionally set- proving who did it and that it was intentional is the hard part. And LO-FN-L at an insurance adjuster having any qualifications to prove anything. 

Full disclosure, none of this is directed at you as you’re just sharing the story and no,  It wasn’t me who burned the house down! 
yup, thanks, no worries. i'm glad you posted because the story might be bs.

flapgreen said:
Still having aftershocks 
Still... just had an interesting bouncy one. Literally bounced things vertically for 7-8 seconds. Was different. Had a bigger 4.5 an hour and a half ago.

it might be starting again... hmmm... 3.6 and 3.2 just a couple minutes apart. The kind that gently rattle windows or make you think the garage door opener activated. :)

It’s hard for this Maryland east coaster to fathom what you guys go through and your caviler approach to it. I actually think I’m more worried for you guys than you are. 

We had ONE here in my lifetime and it was the only time in my life I felt truly helpless. The entire world is shaking around you and there is nothing you can do about it. Bazaar. 

Last edited by a moderator:
having a very odd aftershock atm. it started at 12. it is gentle. but we can feel it. been going for over five minutes... and stopped before i posted. strange to live on moving ground that "has a voice".  ooof moving again. 

It’s hard for this Maryland east coaster to fathom what you guys go through and your caviler approach to it. I actually think I’m more worried for you guys than you are. 

We had ONE here in my lifetime and it was the only time in my life I felt truly helpless. The entire world is shaking around you and there is nothing you can do about it. Bazaar. 
Just from observation, it feels 50-50 for people remaining calm and people losing their minds. Of course to different degrees. 

Otis said:

Now imagine these quakes happened along the New Madrid fault.

i was on the 395, when the 7.1 hit, about at the 15.  didn't feel a thing.  nice to see all the cali folks in here are ok

Users who are viewing this thread