What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things you don't understand about society (2 Viewers)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
I've got a few...

1. Why do they plant hedges in parking lots?  Many times a hedge will block my ability to see if someone is coming when I'm trying to turn.  Is the aesthetic really worth it?

2. Why do people wear hooded sweatshirts or skull caps outside in the summer in Florida?

3. Why do printers make so much damn noise when they're starting up and shutting down?

Why can't able bodied adults push their empty shopping cart another 20 feet to the cart return thingy after pushing it up and down every isle of the Super Walmart? 

Why isn't tossing a cigarette butt considered polluting any less than anything else 

Why do they call it Ovaltine?  The mug is round.  The jar is round.  They should call it Roundtine.
Ovaltine was developed in Bern, Switzerland, where it is known by its original name, Ovomaltine (from ovum, Latin for "egg", and malt, which were originally its main ingredients). Soon after its invention, the factory moved out to the village of Neuenegg, a few kilometres west of Bern, where it is still produced.

Ovomaltine was exported to Britain in 1909. A misspelling of the name on the trademark registration application led to the name being shortened to Ovaltine in English-speaking markets

Ovaltine was developed in Bern, Switzerland, where it is known by its original name, Ovomaltine (from ovum, Latin for "egg", and malt, which were originally its main ingredients). Soon after its invention, the factory moved out to the village of Neuenegg, a few kilometres west of Bern, where it is still produced.

Ovomaltine was exported to Britain in 1909. A misspelling of the name on the trademark registration application led to the name being shortened to Ovaltine in English-speaking markets
I want to party with you, Cowboy.

Come to think of it, I don't really understand the point of parking cars in a garage.

I don't have a garage, but if I did, I could think of a million better uses for it than keeping my freaking cars out of the rain.  Even if the other use is storing crap. Keeping a car out of the rain is no more a noble cause than storing crap.

There's a good chance I'm white trash, so maybe that answers it. Either way, I'm going with the white trash take on this.

Come to think of it, I don't really understand the point of parking cars in a garage.

I don't have a garage, but if I did, I could think of a million better uses for it than keeping my freaking cars out of the rain.  Even if the other use is storing crap. Keeping a car out of the rain is no more a noble cause than storing crap.

There's a good chance I'm white trash, so maybe that answers it. Either way, I'm going with the white trash take on this.
If you park them in your driveway, then it’s not a problem. Only when the streets get parked up to enable hoarding do I get a bit annoyed.

Looking “professional”. If your clothing isn’t offensive and hygiene decent, I don’t care how you dress if you do your job well.

Break-ins. Hail. Damage due to summer sun that rots wiper blades here in Texas. There's a ton of reasons to keep your vehicles protected.
Cars running into your parked car. It happens. A lot more than you'd think. Street parking, especially in cities, is dangerous to your vehicle's well-being. It happened to me twice in New Haven. Hell, I had a policeman hit my car on the street while waving to the citizens. He knocked on my door and said he was "sorry, but..." I thought he was going to tell me my sick father had died and nobody could get a hold of me. I was actually relieved.

No joke. 

eta* We live on one of the more suburban cul-de-sacs you'll ever see and our neighbor got his car drilled about four months ago by a guy that wasn't paying attention to the road. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cars running into your parked car. It happens. A lot more than you'd think. Street parking, especially in cities, is dangerous to your vehicle's well-being. It happened to me twice in New Haven. Hell, I had a policeman hit my car on the street while waving to the citizens. He knocked on my door and said he was "sorry, but..." I thought he was going to tell me my sick father had died and nobody could get a hold of me. I was actually relieved.

No joke. 

eta* We live on one of the more suburban cul-de-sacs you'll ever see and our neighbor got his car drilled about four months ago by a guy that wasn't paying attention to the road. 
I saw a line of cars parked on the street the other day, at least five of them, that had been hit by some obviously wasted driver. He just grinded all the way down the block. Significant damage. Gave me the willies.

I saw a line of cars parked on the street the other day, at least five of them, that had been hit by some obviously wasted driver. He just grinded all the way down the block. Significant damage. Gave me the willies.
I had this happen outside that same apartment building once. I heard the horrific braking, the absolute crash. I went down the stairs and out to the street whereupon I saw a car that had seriously damaged four or five other cars in a line, and the perpetrator had left the car in the street, unattended. It was a stolen hit-and-run job, and the guy got away on foot as I saw him running away to the next streets.

I didn't chase as I was afraid of the area I was in (the projects were right down the street; I had heard gunfire before and once the police presence had left our town n'-gown area, I actually had people yelling through open windows at me during the summer. It was bad.) and didn't want to put myself at risk. My car, thankfully, was unharmed. 

You must not live in the north.  I don't care about the rain, but the snow and ice in the winter is a ##### to clear every morning for several months of the year.  The sun can take it's toll as well as Dallas mentions, but I could probably survive with my car outside through other parts of the year, but there damn well better be garage space in the winter.

glvsav37 said:
Why is everyone (many people) so angry and competitive when driving?  
This is easy. Because we’re traveling 50-100 mph in 3,000 lb projectiles of death all while being surrounded by others doing the same. Your heightened sense of awareness leads to aggression. 

Why do people have garages if they never park their vehicles in them? 

Neighbor has a 3 car garage and yet parks all 4 of his vehicles outside.. :whoosh:
Some of us need the garage for storage space because we have too many forking kids. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The big problem out here in the desert area of So. Cal. is that the paint on your car peels and gets that ocean salt look after being exposed to sunlight for a long period of time.
I go to the further mall in everything but perfect weather just because it has a parking garage.  Cooler in the summer, and no snow to clear off in the winter. Also nice when it's raining.

I don't understand why people care or pay attention to anything Stephen A. Smith, Lamar Ball or any Kardashian says or does.  The fascination with them is perplexing to me. 
Both positive and negative, I don't care either. I think if they were ignored that would be the best antidote to their continued omnipresence in people's lives.

You must not live in the north.  I don't care about the rain, but the snow and ice in the winter is a ##### to clear every morning for several months of the year.  The sun can take it's toll as well as Dallas mentions, but I could probably survive with my car outside through other parts of the year, but there damn well better be garage space in the winter.
Conversely, as someone from Florida, I don't want to hop into a 160 degree oven every time I want to drive somewhere.  

How do people have no self awareness or consideration of others, including their own kids?

Why as a society do we value athletes more than those that teach our children? I get the economics of it as people will pay to watch an NBA game but not a 3rd grade math lesson.... that said, it seems to me that there should be a way to incentivize some the brightest to educate future generations. (Not a teacher, just concerned about the future of our society)

Why do people drink to the point of being incapacitated/useless? You have zero control over the decisions you make, can easily do something dumb, and plus, you wake up the next day and you're hung over and feel like crap. Why can't people just have a couple drinks to get buzzed instead of getting plastered? Why do some people find getting plastered to be fun?

Yeah my wife and I park in our driveway. Our garage has storage in the winter for our outdoor furniture and grill, it has many of my tools and a work space, my lawn/gardening equipment and trash/recycling. 

Users who are viewing this thread