What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things you don't understand about society (1 Viewer)

Captain Cranks said:
Conversely, as someone from Florida, I don't want to hop into a 160 degree oven every time I want to drive somewhere.  
I live in between the North and FL (VA), so that probably explains it. Actually, in much of this city, including my neighborhood, garages pretty rare.

Captain Cranks said:
Conversely, as someone from Florida, I don't want to hop into a 160 degree oven every time I want to drive somewhere.  
This x1000. I weep for those who can’t park in their garage in FL. 

General Malaise said:
I don't understand why people care or pay attention to anything any Kardashian says or does
Along the same lines, why does everyone think that every random thought needs to be broadcast to the world on 5 different social media platforms?  I stood in line at Disney World back in May and watched a gaggle of teenage girls behind me all pose for about 20 selfies across 4 phones, then they all airdropped the photos to each other, then argued over who would post which photo, then argued over who would post to which social site. 

Also, why are selfies even a thing?  

Get off my lawn

Last edited by a moderator:
Along the same lines, why does everyone think that every random thought needs to be broadcast to the world on 5 different social media platforms?  I stood in line at Disney World back in May and watched a gaggle of teenage girls behind me all pose for about 20 selfies across 4 phones, then they all airdropped the photos to each other, then argued over who would post which photo, then argued over who would post to which social site. 

Get off my lawn
I was at a firework show on the 4th with my son and was behind 2 people who were older than I am recording the whole damn thing on their phones.  1.  WTF is ever going to watch that? 2.  Why would you go to an event to watch it on a 4" screen as you record it?  

I'd say get off my lawn, but these were old people doing it.  

Why do people drink to the point of being incapacitated/useless? You have zero control over the decisions you make, can easily do something dumb, and plus, you wake up the next day and you're hung over and feel like crap. Why can't people just have a couple drinks to get buzzed instead of getting plastered? Why do some people find getting plastered to be fun?
I don't think it's usually planned.  People are searching for a high, and once they get there, they think more is better.

I was at a firework show on the 4th with my son and was behind 2 people who were older than I am recording the whole damn thing on their phones.  1.  WTF is ever going to watch that? 2.  Why would you go to an event to watch it on a 4" screen as you record it?  

I'd say the same applies to most photos/videos. Even if not taken by a phone.

Come to think of it, I don't really understand the point of parking cars in a garage.

I don't have a garage, but if I did, I could think of a million better uses for it than keeping my freaking cars out of the rain.  Even if the other use is storing crap. Keeping a car out of the rain is no more a noble cause than storing crap.

There's a good chance I'm white trash, so maybe that answers it. Either way, I'm going with the white trash take on this.
Yeah my wife and I park in our driveway. Our garage has storage in the winter for our outdoor furniture and grill, it has many of my tools and a work space, my lawn/gardening equipment and trash/recycling
If you live in the North and don't see a need to park in the garage then you must REALLY like brushing snow off your car in -30 wind chill.  :loco:  

Why do people drink to the point of being incapacitated/useless? You have zero control over the decisions you make, can easily do something dumb, and plus, you wake up the next day and you're hung over and feel like crap. Why can't people just have a couple drinks to get buzzed instead of getting plastered? Why do some people find getting plastered to be fun?
I don't think it's usually planned.  People are searching for a high, and once they get there, they think more is better.
yep... In my drinking days I didn't go to a party planning to be the guy on the right :suds:  ..

But it happened more often than I care to admit. 
Woke up a few times in the morning in a back seat of a car with no recollection of how I got there.

If you live in the North and don't see a need to park in the garage then you must REALLY like brushing snow off your car in -30 wind chill.  :loco:  
Wife’s side of the family is from Minnesota and they do this, I can not begin to understand it.   Life is hard enough already, why make it harder?

I don’t enjoy cleaning my car when it snows but I use the automatic starter and it’s usually mostly melted by the time I get out there. Plus I have to shovel the driveway and sidewalks anyway. The cars actually keep most of the driveway from getting snowed on and makes the shoveling a little quicker.

Wife’s side of the family is from Minnesota and they do this, I can not begin to understand it.   Life is hard enough already, why make it harder?
exactly :hifive:   I spent all my life parking outside.. At out old house we had a single garage so wife parked indoors and I outdoors.. hated early morning work days..  then 10 years ago when we bought our new house with double garages.. I am NOT going back!

When our daughter got old enough to drive, we built a 2nd garage as there was no way I was going to start parking outside again.

Those of you not understanding alcoholism or drug addiction should simply be thankful.  Our current society's epidemics of addictions and suicide are all basically the result of mental illness.

What I don't understand about society is why we don't start doing more to treat mental illness across the board.  I think it would help with all of those categories of self-abuse as well as poverty and homelessness.

Why as a society do we value athletes more than those that teach our children?
Because there is 1 person on this earth capable of being a professional athlete for every 50,000 capable of teaching. However, FAR more people would rather be the professional athlete. Why is this so hard for some to understand? It's simple supply and demand.

How do people have no self awareness or consideration of others, including their own kids?

Why as a society do we value athletes more than those that teach our children? I get the economics of it as people will pay to watch an NBA game but not a 3rd grade math lesson.... that said, it seems to me that there should be a way to incentivize some the brightest to educate future generations. (Not a teacher, just concerned about the future of our society)
Society tends to place a higher value on people who work hard and reach the pinnacle of success in their chosen field.

The cats actually keep most of the driveway from getting snowed on and makes the shoveling a little quicker.
Do they have their own little shovels and handle it as it's falling or something?  Maybe it's because I'm from the south and have never once in my life had to shovel snow, but how the heck do cats help?

What are you judging this by?  
I just threw it out there for no particular reason.  I do however think people aren't nearly as polite (in general) as they used to be.  From getting up to give your seat to an old/pregnant woman to just saying thank you.  It is just not standard practice in the current times.

I just threw it out there for no particular reason.  I do however think people aren't nearly as polite (in general) as they used to be.  From getting up to give your seat to an old/pregnant woman to just saying thank you.  It is just not standard practice in the current times.
I don't think that is really defined by morals.  In many ways our morals have improved (how we treat minorities, women, homosexuals, prisoners, etc.)

Not too long ago blacks had separate schools and drinking fountains.  Before that they were property.  Before that we'd determine if someone was a witch by drowning them.  So on and so on....

I don't think that is really defined by morals.  In many ways our morals have improved (how we treat minorities, women, homosexuals, prisoners, etc.)

Not too long ago blacks had separate schools and drinking fountains.  Before that they were property.  Before that we'd determine if someone was a witch by drowning them.  So on and so on....
Best to burn witches as everyone knows they float (ergo, same weight as a duck).

Get off my lawn
It's funny, I've done a 180 on selfies.  My wife, too old for the selfy crazy, takes them all the time.  She's the only one that ever takes pictures in the family, so whenever we go on vacation now, she always has us take a selfy in front of whatever we are seeing.  It has come to the point where if I see a posed picture of our family taken by someone else, it looks totally out of place.

Why people suddenly think that it is amusing or entertaining to film and post themselves doing stupid and illegal things is beyond me. The new trend of people opening products and licking,spitting etc and then returning the packaging for sale just angers me.

Jayrod said:
Those of you not understanding alcoholism or drug addiction should simply be thankful.  Our current society's epidemics of addictions and suicide are all basically the result of mental illness.

What I don't understand about society is why we don't start doing more to treat mental illness across the board.  I think it would help with all of those categories of self-abuse as well as poverty and homelessness.
We definitely could pour more resources into mental illness, but societal stigma and willingness to seek help are probably the biggest parts of the problem.

Why people suddenly think that it is amusing or entertaining to film and post themselves doing stupid and illegal things is beyond me. The new trend of people opening products and licking,spitting etc and then returning the packaging for sale just angers me.
Wait, what???

I was hoping that was just bad shtick so I ignored it. 

If not, well, I guess we'll probably have to agree to disagree with Jayrod.    
I might be wrong, but I think he is team jeebus all the way.  But, I also get him mixed up with Jaywalk or Jayrock or whatever the other Jaysomething is.  One of them loves themselves some God. 

Those who are chronically late.

Those who lack spatial awareness.

Those who cannot throw.

I might be wrong, but I think he is team jeebus all the way.  But, I also get him mixed up with Jaywalk or Jayrock or whatever the other Jaysomething is.  One of them loves themselves some God. 
This jogged my memory on one of the biggest things I don't understand about society.  How, in #######' 2019, an age of science and reason, is it a political death sentence to announce that you're atheist but a positive attribute that you believe in something that can't be proven to exist? 

'What?  Candidate Rooney doesn't believe in Santa Claus?  Well guess who's not getting my vote.'  

I stood in line at Disney World back in May and watched a gaggle of teenage girls behind me all pose for about 20 selfies across 4 phones, then they all airdropped the photos to each other, then argued over who would post which photo, then argued over who would post to which social site. 

Get off my lawn
It's all the Beatles fault, they had the first crude version of the selfie stick..

https://d2s36jztkuk7aw.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/tile/image/PleasePleaseMe_1.jpg

You should read up on addiction.  Its a real thing.  

You should read up on addiction.  Its a real thing.  
I just figured it was people putting themselves in situations they can't handle mentally and emotionally (Ex. large groups of people/large groups of people they don't know/afraid of looking weird if everyone else is drinking), and they cope with it and get themselves out of it by drinking a ton. Kind of like an emotional/mental immaturity thing. Maybe deep down, they don't believe they're fun and interesting to people if they aren't drinking a ton. 

I've had people tell me this before. "There were so many people there I didn't know, I needed to be really drunk to get by."

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's addiction or the early stages of it. I have no clue. I'm not like that so I have problems relating to it/understanding it, but I'm interested in learning more about it and why some people are like that.

Yep, saw the same thing. Bizarre as hell. 

I just figured it was people putting themselves in situations they can't handle mentally and emotionally (Ex. large groups of people/large groups of people they don't know/afraid of looking weird if everyone else is drinking), and they cope with it and get themselves out of it by drinking a ton. Kind of like an emotional/mental immaturity thing. Maybe deep down, they don't believe they're fun and interesting to people if they aren't drinking a ton. 

I've had people tell me this before. "There were so many people there I didn't know, I needed to be really drunk to get by."

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's addiction or the early stages of it. I have no clue. I'm not like that so I have problems relating to it/understanding it, but I'm interested in learning more about it and why some people are like that.
It could be any number of reasons - anxiety, addiction, depression, not being able to hold their liquor, etc.    As I get older, I try my best not to judge others.  You never really know what they're going through.  

It could be any number of reasons - anxiety, addiction, depression, not being able to hold their liquor, etc.    As I get older, I try my best not to judge others.  You never really know what they're going through.  
Good point. Very true. We all have our issues. Maybe for some it's addiction. Maybe others it's mental health. Who knows. No one is perfect and everyone struggles with something.

I don’t understand grown men who take out their frustrations physically on young children or the elderly.  Yet I read, on what seems like a weekly basis, a recap of an adult male taking full swings at an 80 year old for being slow or a 2 year old for crying.  Kind of what they do, guy.

Guys like that are near the lowest form of life, and are obviously too pathetic to scrap with anyone who poses a threat.

I don’t understand grown men who take out their frustrations physically on young children or the elderly.  Yet I read, on what seems like a weekly basis, a recap of an adult male taking full swings at an 80 year old for being slow or a 2 year old for crying.  Kind of what they do, guy.

Guys like that are near the lowest form of life, and are obviously too pathetic to scrap with anyone who poses a threat.
They seriously need some jail time.  Throw them in jail and then let the prison population know that this person beat up on a little kid. 

Unfortunately, someone who is beaten as a little kid is much more likely to do the same when they have kids.  Luckily, society norms have changed and hitting your children is now considered anathema.  

Why are moving violations so expensive?  I rolled a stop sign, came to about a 90% stop looked and proceeded through.   $200.00 ticket.    I think 75.00 is more than enough for that offense.

Why are moving violations so expensive?  I rolled a stop sign, came to about a 90% stop looked and proceeded through.   $200.00 ticket.    I think 75.00 is more than enough for that offense.
It is a way for the municipality/state to make money and pay for the Police force.

eta. Not sure if it is still this way, but the end of the month is a time you best stay on your toes as it used to be the time the police caught up with their month end quota.  One time a guy pulled me over for doing 59 in a 55 zone.  I was fuming and at the end of our discussion he gave me a ticket for no seat belt.  At least 3 times I've gotten out of speeding tickets by offering a seat belt violation in it's stead.  

Users who are viewing this thread