Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Captain Cranks

Things you don't understand about society

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, arrow1 said:

why people think flip flops are a good thing

hmmm.  I love me some flip-flops.  They're comfortable at the beach and ultra-casual situations.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kentric said:

It is a way for the municipality/state to make money and pay for the Police force.

eta. Not sure if it is still this way, but the end of the month is a time you best stay on your toes as it used to be the time the police caught up with their month end quota.  One time a guy pulled me over for doing 59 in a 55 zone.  I was fuming and at the end of our discussion he gave me a ticket for no seat belt.  At least 3 times I've gotten out of speeding tickets by offering a seat belt violation in it's stead.  

That happened to me once.  I hadn't thought about it in years until just now.  Got pulled over by a state trooper in Louisiana for speeding - I was easily going 80+ and he spotted me from the opposite direction, U-turned through the big median on I-20 and got me.  He was actually a hell of a nice guy, we talked baseball for about 20 minutes and he wrote me a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt at the end.  When I briefly tried to offer up that I always wear me seatbelt he suggested strongly that perhaps I wasn't this time, and we should leave it at that.  I understood then.  I offered him a Dr. Pepper, which he politely declined.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Cranks said:

Why do people think paying $130 to stand in line for 12 hours for a cumulative 6 minutes on a rollercoaster is a good use of time and money?

 

Because it is a damn good 6 minutes!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do people feel the need to lick/spit into food products and put them back on the store shelves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Galileo said:

Why do people feel the need to lick/spit into food products and put them back on the store shelves?

Is this really happening?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kentric said:

What is with the moral decline of society?  

I guess mine would be "why does everyone think we're getting less moral instead of the other way around"?

Civilized society gets more and more moral every day.  Part of it is social media singling out the bad stuff and part is just pure nostalgia but we weren't so damned moral in the past.

Even at our peak in the WW2 era when we had a supreme evil to compare ourselves against we segretated schools, put Japanese people in internment camps, hated teh gayz, and even overthrew prosperous democratic societies to implant corrupt dictators to make sure friggin banana prices didn't get too high.

Society wasn't more moral, there was just less of a platform for the people that were getting ####ed in the ### by society to tell anyone about it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Social Media “Challenges”.  lots of pointless LAM fodder.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, Captain Cranks said:

This jogged my memory on one of the biggest things I don't understand about society.  How, in #######' 2019, an age of science and reason, is it a political death sentence to announce that you're atheist but a positive attribute that you believe in something that can't be proven to exist? 

'What?  Candidate Rooney doesn't believe in Santa Claus?  Well guess who's not getting my vote.'  

Agree, but put more simply, how in this day and age the "majority" of people still believe in a deity at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Is this really happening?  

Do you not watch the news? Well, maybe that isn't fair. The first culprit, the one who will spawn millions of copy-cat moronic social media idiots, was from this area. So it is just impossible not to see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Buck Bradcanon said:

Agree, but put more simply, how in this day and age the "majority" of people still believe in a deity at all.

I understand why people want to believe in a god.  The mere existence of the universe and humankind has so many unanswered questions, it's an easy, comforting exercise to assign a being that fills in the gaps.  What I don't understand is the completely irrational versions of God that so many believe in.  If you want to be a deist because it feels like it explains how something came from nothing (disregarding the idea that god must have come from nothing too), then cool.  Yet so many people put faith into something so obviously constructed by man, leaving themselves to cite metaphor where science has made a literal interpretation indefensible.         

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Captain Cranks said:

I understand why people want to believe in a god.  The mere existence of the universe and humankind has so many unanswered questions, it's an easy, comforting exercise to assign a being that fills in the gaps.  What I don't understand is the completely irrational versions of God that so many believe in.  If you want to be a deist because it feels like it explains how something came from nothing (disregarding the idea that god must have come from nothing too), then cool.  Yet so many people put faith into something so obviously constructed by man, leaving themselves to cite metaphor where science has made a literal interpretation indefensible.         

I’m kinda with you, although I don’t really know why people are so uncomfortable with uncertainty. There are so many simple things even the most knowledgeable person doesn’t (possibly can’t) know; I don’t see why there is an assumption humans should have answers to complex questions like the origin of the universe, meaning of life, what happens after death, etc.

And I don’t think there is a rational version of God.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why "Employees must wash hands" signs are usually found right above a sink, where only people already washing their hands would notice them. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Do you not watch the news? Well, maybe that isn't fair. The first culprit, the one who will spawn millions of copy-cat moronic social media idiots, was from this area. So it is just impossible not to see it.

Like, do I sit down in front of the TV to watch nightly news?  No.  I sometimes enjoy reading our local news online or sometimes CNN.  I'm seeing this now.  Had no idea this was a thing.  I don't want to live on this planet any longer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airplane behavior is always perplexing to me.  Why do people jump up immediately when an airplane stations only to stand for another 10-20 minutes?  Relax big guy, no need to push the old lady next to you. You aren't going anywhere.  On another note, there's a special place in hell for anyone that claps after landing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Major said:

Airplane behavior is always perplexing to me.  Why do people jump up immediately when an airplane stations only to stand for another 10-20 minutes?  Relax big guy, no need to push the old lady next to you. You aren't going anywhere.  On another note, there's a special place in hell for anyone that claps after landing.

Usually because my back hurts like hell and I've been locked in the seat for the last hour as the plane circles and lands. Yep, I'm a big guy, and standing for 10-20 minutes is bliss compared to the iron-maiden airline seat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Major said:

Airplane behavior is always perplexing to me.  Why do people jump up immediately when an airplane stations only to stand for another 10-20 minutes?  Relax big guy, no need to push the old lady next to you. You aren't going anywhere.  On another note, there's a special place in hell for anyone that claps after landing.

On a related note, when you are zone 6, you don’t need to stand up and wait at the boarding entrance 15 minutes in advance when a zillion other zones are ahead of you.  also, saying excuse me to go in front of everyone doing this so i then have to say excuse me to you because i am boarding before you gets your feet rolled over by my carryon.  i especially go for the doosh in sandals.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2019 at 9:19 PM, KarmaPolice said:

I was at a firework show on the 4th with my son and was behind 2 people who were older than I am recording the whole damn thing on their phones.  1.  WTF is ever going to watch that? 2.  Why would you go to an event to watch it on a 4" screen as you record it?  

I'd say get off my lawn, but these were old people doing it.  

Reminds me of my old buddy Toby who made a point of attending every concert just to say he was there. But by the time the main act came out he was already passed out drunk. But he was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 4:46 AM, arrow1 said:

why people think flip flops are a good thing

You’ve obviously never lived in a tropical environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 5:22 AM, General Malaise said:

That happened to me once.  I hadn't thought about it in years until just now.  Got pulled over by a state trooper in Louisiana for speeding - I was easily going 80+ and he spotted me from the opposite direction, U-turned through the big median on I-20 and got me.  He was actually a hell of a nice guy, we talked baseball for about 20 minutes and he wrote me a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt at the end.  When I briefly tried to offer up that I always wear me seatbelt he suggested strongly that perhaps I wasn't this time, and we should leave it at that.  I understood then.  I offered him a Dr. Pepper, which he politely declined.  

Not sure I understand this - are seatbelt violations not penalized by auto insurers and/or do they cost less than speeding tickets?

Also, how many people fail to wear their seatbelts? I guess with airbags, etc. they are less important, but I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen someone not wearing one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Not sure I understand this - are seatbelt violations not penalized by auto insurers and/or do they cost less than speeding tickets?

Also, how many people fail to wear their seatbelts? I guess with airbags, etc. they are less important, but I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen someone not wearing one.

Cost much less, but probably more importantly, they do not accumulate points on your license like a speeding ticket would (at least not in Ohio).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Cost much less, but probably more importantly, they do not accumulate points on your license like a speeding ticket would (at least not in Ohio).

Figured as much. Doesn’t make much sense if cops are trying to collect revenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BrutalPenguin said:

Usually because my back hurts like hell and I've been locked in the seat for the last hour as the plane circles and lands. Yep, I'm a big guy, and standing for 10-20 minutes is bliss compared to the iron-maiden airline seat.

I understand that.  The folks that push others in the aisle to get an inch closer to the exit don't make a lot of sense to me.  If I'm in front of them, I'll intentionally take my time and make sure everyone in my aisle goes first.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Major said:

Airplane behavior is always perplexing to me.  Why do people jump up immediately when an airplane stations only to stand for another 10-20 minutes?  Relax big guy, no need to push the old lady next to you. You aren't going anywhere.  On another note, there's a special place in hell for anyone that claps after landing.

I was sitting in an aisle seat near the plane's exit.  As we were about to stop at the gate a pair of women asked politely if I and several other rows of people sitting in the aisle could allow them to pass first as they had a tight connection to make.  They were able to jump three or four rows and exit the plane quickly right behind the first few people off the plane.  In the 10 seconds it took me to tell them "yes, that's ok" and pause a beat while they quickly scooted past before I stood up the guy in the window seat started berating me saying they were lying, they had no connection to make and I was a dupe for being so gullible.  I was totally perplexed.

I'd say people want to stretch their legs and get out of the least uncomfortable position they've wedged themselves into for the last however many hours whether than can move anywhere or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chatting with the barista at starbucks as i wait behind you.  nope, i have nowhere to go and love hanging out in a queue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Grownups that watch professional wrestling....why?  What are you doing?  I do not get it.  At all.

I don't watch it, but are you not the least bit entertained by the physical actions that they perform? They are literally throwing themselves all over the place for our entertainment, so I can appreciate that aspect of it. Not like I would throw money on the outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Grownups that watch professional wrestling....why?  What are you doing?  I do not get it.  At all.

Is this any different than grownups that post on fantasy football message boards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Warrior said:

Is this any different than grownups that post on fantasy football message boards?

You're not going to believe this, but as a group, this is the smartest group of people I've ever been around. God Bless it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Big Guy said:

I don't watch it, but are you not the least bit entertained by the physical actions that they perform? They are literally throwing themselves all over the place for our entertainment, so I can appreciate that aspect of it. Not like I would throw money on the outcome.

I watched it religiously when I was 9 or 10 until one day my dad gave me the sports page of the DMN and told me to read an article where a professional stunt man attended a match with the writer and pointed out all the ways it was fake.  That did the trick for me.  If I want to watch fake fighting I'll go to Disney or watch the NBA.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Warrior said:

Is this any different than grownups that post on fantasy football message boards?

Is communicating with others about pertinent topics or humor different than watching fake, scripted wrestling?  Uh.

..yeah. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, General Malaise said:

I watched it religiously when I was 9 or 10 until one day my dad gave me the sports page of the DMN and told me to read an article where a professional stunt man attended a match with the writer and pointed out all the ways it was fake.  That did the trick for me.  If I want to watch fake fighting I'll go to Disney or watch the NBA

well-played

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Why do people have a natural desire to stop and stare at some car wreck or other disaster?

Because it's interesting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Why do people have a natural desire to stop and stare at some car wreck or other disaster?

Evolutionary advantage (those that note how and what caused are potentially more likely to live longer than those who don't take note.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rockaction said:

Evolutionary advantage (those that note how and what caused are potentially more likely to live longer than those who don't take note.)

You are a very positive person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why people in certain downtrodden areas of town constantly complain about lack of police presence in their area. Then when there is a crime, refuse to cooperate with police. Point in case, just this morning, in a low income housing area, a man shoots three of his neighbors in broad daylight. Obviously folks know exactly who this person is. Yet the refuse to cooperate with police to help capture the person that just shot three of their neighbors. All this as they mug to get in the camera shot holding their small children. It completely befuddles me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Why people in certain downtrodden areas of town constantly complain about lack of police presence in their area. Then when there is a crime, refuse to cooperate with police. Point in case, just this morning, in a low income housing area, a man shoots three of his neighbors in broad daylight. Obviously folks know exactly who this person is. Yet the refuse to cooperate with police to help capture the person that just shot three of their neighbors. All this as they mug to get in the camera shot holding their small children. It completely befuddles me.

Seems pretty obvious to me. They want a strong police presence so that they don't have to risk their own lives by being a witness.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do grown adults get obsessed with Disney?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don’t people understand how double doors work?  Stay to the right and open your own door. We can both pass through at the same time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forming lines when there are multiple cashiers / helpers / whatever. 

Whenever it's possible there should be one long line, 1st person in line gets helped next. Not single lines where it's like some crap shoot, or if a new cashier opens up it's a dash for whoever its rudest to get there first.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When they drive around the parking lot for an extra 10 minutes to get a closer parking place next to the gym. 

If you can't walk an extra 50 feet, what are you even doing there????

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

When they drive around the parking lot for an extra 10 minutes to get a closer parking place next to the gym. 

If you can't walk an extra 50 feet, what are you even doing there????

This with pretty much any parking spot anywhere. You give it one shot for the primo spot then head for the crap stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ned said:

Why do grown adults get obsessed with Disney?  

Because they are a bunch of Dumbos.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.