What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things you don't understand about society (2 Viewers)

Figured as much. Doesn’t make much sense if cops are trying to collect revenue.
Cops don't collect revenue. They enforce the rules. The government assigns the payment penalty for not following the rules. Don't want a speeding ticket? Don't speed. Don't like the speed limit? Work to get it changed.

It's the speed limit, not the speed suggestion. It's a safety rule set up by some geek traffic rule maker, probably 40 years ago. Before ABS, air bags lane detection warnings, etc

As for seat belts, determining whether or not a seat belt would have saved someone in an accident is probably a best guestimate from the accident investigator. But you would be surprised how many probably would have. Probably tens of thousands. 

Mr. Mojo said:
When they drive around the parking lot for an extra 10 minutes to get a closer parking place next to the gym. 

If you can't walk an extra 50 feet, what are you even doing there????
Duh, It's not the extra walk it's winning the parking game 

[scooter] said:
Seems pretty obvious to me. They want a strong police presence so that they don't have to risk their own lives by being a witness.
I understand what you are saying, but this isn't a case where one witness is in court pointing to El Chapo and stating "That's him." A LOT of people witnessed the couples arguing in the parking lot, in daylight, before the coward pulled out the gun and started firing. The cops are basically looking for "What's this guy's name? Where was he likely to run too?" I doubt they'd ever have to be a witness at a trial or anything. So, if you aren't willing to do your part, then don't whine and complain after the next shooting that it is the police's fault for not having enough presence in the area, or that it was your loved one that took the bullet.

[scooter] said:
Seems pretty obvious to me. They want a strong police presence so that they don't have to risk their own lives by being a witness.
I understand what you are saying, but this isn't a case where one witness is in court pointing to El Chapo and stating "That's him." A LOT of people witnessed the couples arguing in the parking lot, in daylight, before the coward pulled out the gun and started firing. The cops are basically looking for "What's this guy's name? Where was he likely to run too?" I doubt they'd ever have to be a witness at a trial or anything. So, if you aren't willing to do your part, then don't whine and complain after the next shooting that it is the police's fault for not having enough presence in the area, or that it was your loved one that took the bullet.
The American judicial system does not guarantee that witnesses can remain completely anonymous, except in extremely rare and specific circumstances (of which "neighborhood shooting" would not qualify). It's one of the things that sets us apart from, for example, Soviet Russia (where anonymous tips can lead to your neighbor disappearing without a trace).

The idea that these neighbors could simply make an anonymous tip (which would lead to conviction) is not only naive and unrealistic, but it further underscores the original point about the lack of police presence. If the police did not adequately patrol the neighborhood in the first place, then how can a tipster expect the police to offer any level of protection after they provide a tip?

Also, it's kind of callous and cynical to describe "risking your life and the lives of your family and friends" as simply "doing your part".

The American judicial system does not guarantee that witnesses can remain completely anonymous, except in extremely rare and specific circumstances (of which "neighborhood shooting" would not qualify). It's one of the things that sets us apart from, for example, Soviet Russia (where anonymous tips can lead to your neighbor disappearing without a trace).

The idea that these neighbors could simply make an anonymous tip (which would lead to conviction) is not only naive and unrealistic, but it further underscores the original point about the lack of police presence. If the police did not adequately patrol the neighborhood in the first place, then how can a tipster expect the police to offer any level of protection after they provide a tip?

Also, it's kind of callous and cynical to describe "risking your life and the lives of your family and friends" as simply "doing your part".
So you truly believe the police can be everywhere 100% of the time? And that each person carries zero responsibility in policing their own neighborhoods? :confused:

Let me know how that works out. Oh wait, this story already did...

simsarge said:
Cops don't collect revenue. They enforce the rules. The government assigns the payment penalty for not following the rules. Don't want a speeding ticket? Don't speed. Don't like the speed limit? Work to get it changed.

It's the speed limit, not the speed suggestion. It's a safety rule set up by some geek traffic rule maker, probably 40 years ago. Before ABS, air bags lane detection warnings, etc

As for seat belts, determining whether or not a seat belt would have saved someone in an accident is probably a best guestimate from the accident investigator. But you would be surprised how many probably would have. Probably tens of thousands. 
I was responding to a post about cops letting people off easy by writing seatbelt rather than speeding tickets. In that post, there was the suggestion that the seatbelt ticket wasn't even accurate, ie. the person was wearing their belt when the cop made the stop. The whole premise still doesn't make much sense to me, as the cop could easily not write any ticket and save everybody the hassle.  Or provide a warning.

As to your rant, I wasn't complaining about speeding tickets. I've accepted them as part of the cost of operating a motor vehicle, which I never try to weasel out of, given my penchant for speeding. I also always wear a seatbelt, and assumed almost everyone else did as well. Regardless of who actually collects the revenue, it's a bit disingenuous to suggest ticketing behavior isn't driven in part by reasons other than simply enforcing the laws.

I do wonder about the appropriateness of some posted limits, however.  As you mentioned, car technology has changed quite a bit since the limits were set. Then again, human reaction times haven't. Despite all the advances, deaths per mile travelled haven't improved much in the last 25 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forming lines when there are multiple cashiers / helpers / whatever. 

Whenever it's possible there should be one long line, 1st person in line gets helped next. Not single lines where it's like some crap shoot, or if a new cashier opens up it's a dash for whoever its rudest to get there first.
Sadly stores have decided they’d rather have the extra 10 feet of retail space that the queueing lane would occupy before feeding into the register lines.  Hard to blame them when there’s really no way for the public to act on the sentiment.

If some enterprising grocery were to implement this we might see enough people shift business there to make it more broadly worthwhile.

Why do grown adults get obsessed with Disney?  
Don’t they own Marvel and Star Wars?  Nuff said.

Why do people drink to the point of being incapacitated/useless? You have zero control over the decisions you make, can easily do something dumb, and plus, you wake up the next day and you're hung over and feel like crap. Why can't people just have a couple drinks to get buzzed instead of getting plastered? Why do some people find getting plastered to be fun?
Outside of alcoholics I agree - I’m shuked too.  I did this for the first time in a long time early this year and one of the few times ever.  I was out of town and with some old friends.  Got hammered and they had to get me back to my room.  I don’t remember much and eventually puked all over the bathroom.  Felt horrible the next day - I was like “this was ####### stupid, what the hell”.  And some people do it all the time.  Doesn’t make much sense.

Why do grown adults get obsessed with Disney?  
Disney fan but less of a fanatic as my kids are older.  

My reasons:  four kids who grew up during the Disney-Pixar era of movies, easy access to Disney World, disposable income for trips, family that loves amusement parks, we got lucky with the timing of Fastpass technology- if you knew what you were doing you could ride a lot of rides, EPCOT food and wine.  We’ve canceled our last two trips - rising cost, crowds and other things we’d like to do but we still enjoy it.

Grownups that watch professional wrestling....why?(1)  What are you doing?(2)  I do not get it.(3)  At all.(4)
(1)It's fun!

(2)Having fun!

(3)That's ok!

(4)We all like different things.

Specifically: I appreciate the improvisational theater (also what I :wub: about D&D) of it all, along with how the audience must become a major player to make the whole thing click.

It can be silly one match and serious the next. There is a lot out there beyond what WWE offers. Honestly, if it were only WWE I wouldn't have stuck around after getting back into the fandom a couple years ago.

When expertly combined, athleticism and theater can make a story that rings true and elicits a real response. That's the good #### right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disney fan but less of a fanatic as my kids are older.  

My reasons:  four kids who grew up during the Disney-Pixar era of movies, easy access to Disney World, disposable income for trips, family that loves amusement parks, we got lucky with the timing of Fastpass technology- if you knew what you were doing you could ride a lot of rides, EPCOT food and wine.  We’ve canceled our last two trips - rising cost, crowds and other things we’d like to do but we still enjoy it.
I’m more talking about the adults going with no children. 

I was responding to a post about cops letting people off easy by writing seatbelt rather than speeding tickets. In that post, there was the suggestion that the seatbelt ticket wasn't even accurate, ie. the person was wearing their belt when the cop made the stop. The whole premise still doesn't make much sense to me, as the cop could easily not write any ticket and save everybody the hassle.  Or provide a warning.

As to your rant, I wasn't complaining about speeding tickets. I've accepted them as part of the cost of operating a motor vehicle, which I never try to weasel out of, given my penchant for speeding. I also always wear a seatbelt, and assumed almost everyone else did as well. Regardless of who actually collects the revenue, it's a bit disingenuous to suggest ticketing behavior isn't driven in part by reasons other than simply enforcing the laws.

I do wonder about the appropriateness of some posted limits, however.  As you mentioned, car technology has changed quite a bit since the limits were set. Then again, human reaction times haven't. Despite all the advances, deaths per mile travelled haven't improved much in the last 25 years.
No offense meant, honest. Was actually preaching to the choir, no one in particular.

Actually, considering the distractions we subject ourselves to nowadays, our reaction times have probably increased. One step forward, one step back I guess. 

Until we get Jetsons cars, I guess. 

No offense meant, honest. Was actually preaching to the choir, no one in particular.

Actually, considering the distractions we subject ourselves to nowadays, our reaction times have probably increased. One step forward, one step back I guess. 

Until we get Jetsons cars, I guess. 
No worries. I bet traffic fatalities not increasing is a testament to newer safety features offsetting people who would have died due to the uptick in distracted driving.

Personally, I can’t wait for the autonomous cars.

No worries. I bet traffic fatalities not increasing is a testament to newer safety features offsetting people who would have died due to the uptick in distracted driving.

Personally, I can’t wait for the autonomous cars.
Funny you mention it. Every time I see a commercial about cars that break on their own, etc., my thought is "Protect the idiots from themselves." But it protect me too, so...

HeWhy do people litter? We were in Yellowstone last week and I watched a lady unwrap a piece of candy and just throw the wrapper on the ground next to the trail. Why would you even be going to a beautiful place like a national park if you are just going to trash it? (I immediately reached down and grabbed the wrapper in front of her while glaring at her. She didn't seem to care.)

I also don't understand why people intentionally destroy things people value. Like, why did people destroy those trees in Joshua Tree during the government shutdown? And why do people carve into rocks and trees in national parks? Or why do people troll in general?

(1)It's fun!

(2)Having fun!

(3)That's ok!

(4)We all like different things.

Specifically: I appreciate the improvisational theater (also what I :wub: about D&D) of it all, along with how the audience must become a major player to make the whole thing click.

It can be silly one match and serious the next. There is a lot out there beyond what WWE offers. Honestly, if it were only WWE I wouldn't have stuck around after getting back into the fandom a couple years ago.

When expertly combined, athleticism and theater can make a story that rings true and elicits a real response. That's the good #### right there.
Happy it makes you happy.  To each their own.  Just boggles me mind.  I liked it at 9 and 10 and then when I knew it was all a skit, well.....I never felt the need to go back.  

Can you gamble on wrestling? 

"This business prohibits guns on these premises"

Are bad guys going to read that and just simply turn around while muttering, "Oh what could have been if not for that DARN SIGN!"?

Why does my neighbor across the street have to park in front of my house, when his driveway is empty?
My neighbor used to do this and I started parking in front of his house

My other neighbor used to mow parts of my lawn which would piss me off so I'd start mowing parts of his lawn and purposefully would mow my lawn first in the week so that his lawn was still long and he could clearly notice I mowed parts of his lawn

1.  Society thinks they can stop bad stuff from happening by simply passing a law against it . But the bad stuff still happens just as much, if not more, and it is worse and more dangerous because it is illegal.

2.  College football overtime rules have been basically the same for almost 25 years, yet they feel like they have to recite the rules before overtime starts.  Why not recite the whole rulebook before the game starts?  I think originally, they were afraid people would turn off the TV after the first team with the ball scored....but that was 1996

I saw a line of cars parked on the street the other day, at least five of them, that had been hit by some obviously wasted driver. He just grinded all the way down the block. Significant damage. Gave me the willies.
'rubbin is racing"

Greed. Some people can never have enough money and don't mind taking from the poor.
on the same spectrum ... misers.

I have a married friend, DINK (dual income no kids), both have great jobs, won't subscribe to cable television because of the cost .... among many other "super thrifty" ideas. 

House all paid for, 7 figures in the bank. What is your plan for all of your money? Leave it to charity?

Greed. Some people can never have enough money and don't mind taking from the poor.
on the same spectrum ... misers.

I have a married friend, DINK (dual income no kids), both have great jobs, won't subscribe to cable television because of the cost .... among many other "super thrifty" ideas. 

House all paid for, 7 figures in the bank. What is your plan for all of your money? Leave it to charity?
It's a psychological hangup. Being thrifty is part of the reason why they got rich in the first place. It's very difficult to just "turn off" that mentality once you've reached the top.

When they drive around the parking lot for an extra 10 minutes to get a closer parking place next to the gym. 

If you can't walk an extra 50 feet, what are you even doing there????
On the same note, we have an elevator at our gym.  Everyday I see people take it so they can do cardio on the 3rd floor.  Cracks me up.  

Canadian drivers. They drive like schmucks. Stay in Canada.
Hey now!

Not going to dispute it, I've seen enough evidence of it my time to know there is some truth there despite regional variances.

Having lived in Seattle for a bit, I can tell you that drivers here are infinitely worse. Camping out in the left-hand passing lane going below speed limit isn't just a fad here, it's the norm. The right hand lane is now the passing lane here.

Maddening.

Why do people need to checks their phones while driving?  Just about got Tboned by a 20 something dude today that ran a stop sign.  He wasn't slowing down so I stopped and sure enough he went right through.  Laid on the horn and startled him as he was looking down and not forward.  Yeah buddy sorry to disturb your snapchatting or whatever was more important than paying attention while barreling down the road in a 2 ton machine.

Why do people need to checks their phones while driving?  Just about got Tboned by a 20 something dude today that ran a stop sign.  He wasn't slowing down so I stopped and sure enough he went right through.  Laid on the horn and startled him as he was looking down and not forward.  Yeah buddy sorry to disturb your snapchatting or whatever was more important than paying attention while barreling down the road in a 2 ton machine.
Its infrequent for me but its typically bc of maps or music.   Id rather not but sometimes i dont plan well and i put myself in that spot.  

1.  Society thinks they can stop bad stuff from happening by simply passing a law against it . But the bad stuff still happens just as much, if not more, and it is worse and more dangerous because it is illegal.

2.  College football overtime rules have been basically the same for almost 25 years, yet they feel like they have to recite the rules before overtime starts.  Why not recite the whole rulebook before the game starts?  I think originally, they were afraid people would turn off the TV after the first team with the ball scored....but that was 1996
Never forget Donovan McNabb got through most of a long career having no idea how OT worked, and it had been the same for even longer.

I don’t think they read the rules for the TV audience, I think it’s for the players.

I don't understand pharmacies.  Are they actually formulating the medicines back there, or is it basically just pouring pills from one bottle to another?  Because if it's the latter, I don't understand why it takes so long to fill one.  I know they have to be super careful about getting it right, but come on.  

I don't understand pharmacies.  Are they actually formulating the medicines back there, or is it basically just pouring pills from one bottle to another?  Because if it's the latter, I don't understand why it takes so long to fill one.  I know they have to be super careful about getting it right, but come on.  
I know sometimes they have to check insurance or call the doc to get clarification.   

Users who are viewing this thread