What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm bored with my hobbies, what are some of yours? (1 Viewer)

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***
Not sure if this is mid-life crisis type of stuff, or just boredom.. but I haven't picked up many new hobbies lately and due to either age or boredom I need something new.

Hobbies I'm about done with or already done with:

FFL - been playing since '93..  2 leagues...  1 is going to end after this season...  the other may continue for awhile and I commish it, but I've lost the passion for it about 3-5 years ago.

Poker - playing since '04..  play once a month with a group..  it's not the same rush since they took away the online tournaments.

Video Games - quit awhile ago.. still occasionally turn the system on in dead of winter... but I'm out.

Fishing - still do it because my boys like it, but I've lost the passion.

Watching sports -  Still watch the Chiefs and might be getting more into them with Mahomes going for the next decade.    Royals - after they won the W.S. it was like beating a video game for me..  i just don't care as much anymore.    Federer - still catch almost every match... but he'll retire and i'll quit watching the ATP within 2 years.

Wakeboarding/Waterskiing - still enjoy these but they are only a couple months in the year... though they hurt my back a lot more than they used to, so i do them less.

I know one of the things I need to get into is fitness...  but like almost everyone else. that's tough to get excited about.

What do you do?   I need something to get excited about.

Dang. It does sound a bit mid-lifey. I'd suggest things but I have few hobbies to speak of. Maybe find something that you truly - by yourself and on your own - enjoy and proceed thusly. 

You are not alone in feeling "bored"..... and I have many hobbies. :mellow:  

In my case I think it has to do with my wife & I becoming empty nesters as of last fall and still trying to fill in that extra time..
My current hobbies include:

Photography, Pyrography(wood burning), Vineyard management, Wine Making(grapes, apples, pears, etc.), fishing( although that is only twice a year in Canada), Lake Map data editing/creating( we are mapping lakes we fish in Canada and I edit that data using AutoChart), Playing Civilization 6, Fantasy Football, Cross country skiing, Hiking, converting record albums to mp3. 
Started to look at getting into leather crafting but can't seem to get enthused about it so far...

You are not alone in feeling "bored"..... and I have many hobbies. :mellow:  

In my case I think it has to do with my wife & I becoming empty nesters as of last fall and still trying to fill in that extra time..
My current hobbies include:

Photography, Pyrography(wood burning), Vineyard management, Wine Making(grapes, apples, pears, etc.), fishing( although that is only twice a year in Canada), Lake Map data editing/creating( we are mapping lakes we fish in Canada and I edit that data using AutoChart), Playing Civilization 6, Fantasy Football, Cross country skiing, Hiking, converting record albums to mp3. 
Started to look at getting into leather crafting but can't seem to get enthused about it so far...
Actually sounds like you lead a really, really full adult life. The empty nest thing must be strong. 

playing or listening?    I signed up for youtube premium recently that comes with youtube music and got back into music after being mostly into podcasts for the last 3 years.. and that's been good for me.. .but i find myself just listening to stuff that i did in my 20's and early 30's..  not connecting with as much of the new...  damn that makes me feel old.

You seem like a pickleball kinda guy.
i plan to try that actually later this month.

I did play at a local tennis club a few years back...  but as much as I like watching tennis.. i just wasn't good enough to enjoy playing.

Dang. It does sound a bit mid-lifey. I'd suggest things but I have few hobbies to speak of. Maybe find something that you truly - by yourself and on your own - enjoy and proceed thusly. 

That's the real thing..    since i had my first of 2 kids 5 years ago the number one thing I miss is time to myself...  it is what got completely taken away from me.  i have time for my career, my kids, my wife....  but barely enough time to hang with my friends (and they are busy also)...  but then if there's anything left that's what I get to myself.. and it ain't much.   Before kids my wife worked and I had Thursdays off.. to myself..  I watched movies, read books/comics, played video games, worked out... basically whatever the eff I wanted.   In theory that should come back to me in 18 months when both boys are in school and the wife is back to some sort of work.....  so I guess i'm trying to get a jump start on that.

Football officiating. 

I initially did it for money and out of boredom, but absolutely came to love it.  If you played or really enjoy watching the game at all, being a ref is a blast.  It gets you out of the house and hanging with a bunch of guys and getting together drinking some beers.  If you want to get serious and try college, it will push you toward getting in shape.  I hear baseball umping is similar, but I've never done that (I do basketball, but wouldn't recommend that to anyone that doesn't love basketball....it is much more difficult than football).

If you are interested, hit me up with a PM.  I know a good number of refs in your area.

Become a Sporting KC fan.  Games are way may for fun than Royals and honestly Chiefs games.  Buy a scarf, learn a few chants, free parking.

Also old man soccer is fun - run around and try not to get hurt.  Exercise is way easier when chasing a ball.

Become a Sporting KC fan.  Games are way may for fun than Royals and honestly Chiefs games.  Buy a scarf, learn a few chants, free parking.

Also old man soccer is fun - run around and try not to get hurt.  Exercise is way easier when chasing a ball.
I used to attend some wizards games when they were at arrowhead...   but that stadium is really far from me..  long drive.  I've been to a half dozen games..  soccer just doesn't hold my attention well..   I'll give it another go tho.

Bowling

For fitness, try to find something that is a little bit competitive and fun.  Just running on a treadmill or whatever won't keep you motivated.  Maybe something like soccer, adult softball, running 5ks, whatever.

What kind of fishing did you do? If you haven't tried fly fishing before, you might want to give it a shot. I took it up 3 years ago and absolutely love it. You can even try learning to tie your own flies if that interests you. Be forewarned though, it might set back your retirement by a few years. Fly fishing isn't a cheap sport.
trolling for walleye...  i've never tried flies, but my dad does it... or used to.   

Football officiating. 

I initially did it for money and out of boredom, but absolutely came to love it.  If you played or really enjoy watching the game at all, being a ref is a blast.  It gets you out of the house and hanging with a bunch of guys and getting together drinking some beers.  If you want to get serious and try college, it will push you toward getting in shape.  I hear baseball umping is similar, but I've never done that (I do basketball, but wouldn't recommend that to anyone that doesn't love basketball....it is much more difficult than football).

If you are interested, hit me up with a PM.  I know a good number of refs in your area.
he won't be able to be objective...he'll overlook the bad beats and just want the best/favorite team to win every time.

Not sure if this is mid-life crisis type of stuff, or just boredom.. but I haven't picked up many new hobbies lately and due to either age or boredom I need something new.

Hobbies I'm about done with or already done with:

FFL - been playing since '93..  2 leagues...  1 is going to end after this season...  the other may continue for awhile and I commish it, but I've lost the passion for it about 3-5 years ago.

Poker - playing since '04..  play once a month with a group..  it's not the same rush since they took away the online tournaments.

Video Games - quit awhile ago.. still occasionally turn the system on in dead of winter... but I'm out.

Fishing - still do it because my boys like it, but I've lost the passion.

Watching sports -  Still watch the Chiefs and might be getting more into them with Mahomes going for the next decade.    Royals - after they won the W.S. it was like beating a video game for me..  i just don't care as much anymore.    Federer - still catch almost every match... but he'll retire and i'll quit watching the ATP within 2 years.

Wakeboarding/Waterskiing - still enjoy these but they are only a couple months in the year... though they hurt my back a lot more than they used to, so i do them less.

I know one of the things I need to get into is fitness...  but like almost everyone else. that's tough to get excited about.

What do you do?   I need something to get excited about.
For years (decades?) Youve been making every decision to save every 1/4 penny to retire 33 seconds sooner and your already bored?

I started running 1/2 marathons almost a year ago - good way to get in shape, test yourself and kill some time if catches your attention. 

Also recently started umpiring baseball games earlier this year. It's fun times, gets you just a wee bit of exercise, and can put a little poker money in your pocket. 

how would you feel about crocheting stuff because i could use a hat with a bunch of holes in it from being crocheted for winter mornings take that to the bank brohan

Get a fishing kayak. You have a couple good lakes close to you, and it adds a whole new dimension to fishing. Longview would be a good lake for that because you launch from a couple of different spots.

You can also drift from the marina down to the dam and drop night crawlers and get into some walleye there.

Homebrewing since the 80s but really kicked into high gear about 3 years ago with a group of 5 guys.   We brew 1/2 BBL batches every 2 weeks in my garage which has morphed into a brewery.   I have 8 beers on tap and enjoying the hobby more now than when I first started.

Get a fishing kayak. You have a couple good lakes close to you, and it adds a whole new dimension to fishing. Longview would be a good lake for that because you launch from a couple of different spots.

You can also drift from the marina down to the dam and drop night crawlers and get into some walleye there.
My boat is on blue springs  lake...  i need to up my fishing game there first

For years (decades?) Youve been making every decision to save every 1/4 penny to retire 33 seconds sooner and your already bored?
To be fair I haven't really posted much about it... but I have significantly loosened the purse strings in the last 3 years.  Built a home, bought 2 new cars, have taken multiple trips to turks and caicos with my family over the past couple years.   Don't worry though, i didn't borrow anything for any of the purchases

Users who are viewing this thread