What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm bored with my hobbies, what are some of yours? (1 Viewer)

To be fair I haven't really posted much about it... but I have significantly loosened the purse strings in the last 3 years.  Built a home, bought 2 new cars, have taken multiple trips to turks and caicos with my family over the past couple years.   Don't worry though, i didn't borrow anything for any of the purchases
You buried the lead! Now we know why you’re unhappy! Get back to misering!

To be fair I haven't really posted much about it... but I have significantly loosened the purse strings in the last 3 years.  Built a home, bought 2 new cars, have taken multiple trips to turks and caicos with my family over the past couple years.   Don't worry though, i didn't borrow anything for any of the purchases
If I were you, I'd travel.  See the country and maybe the world.  Make it a game to do find good deals or great places off the beaten path.  Take a trip a month.  You could do just a bunch of 3-5 day excursions per year and get to experience everything this country has to offer and slowly expand to other places around the world.  Use CC miles and start to get stuff for free.  Revisit or extend your days when you find something you really like.  The world is your oyster, my penny-pinching friend.

What do you like Dentist? Do you like cars? Hunting? Camping? Traveling?

We can share what we like to do all day long but unless it’s in your wheelhouse it’s all gonna look dumb to you.

I play basketball twice a week in the winter, sporadically in the summer.

I love to work on cars/trucks/motorcycles- restoring/modding them.

I play a game called Ultima Online a couple of hours a week. 

I love to jet ski and plan on buying one next summer 

I play guitar a little, need to practice more

the rest of the stuff is all exercise. Bikes, JuJitsu, weights, hiking, high intensity training. 

ETA- I would love to travel more, specifically I want to see the pyramids and parachute in Normandy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you like Dentist? Do you like cars? Hunting? Camping? Traveling?

We can share what we like to do all day long but unless it’s in your wheelhouse it’s all gonna look dumb to you.
I asked because i figured something might get unearthed that I hadn't considered.

I don't think anything mentioned has been dumb..  maybe not somethign i'd do, but not dumb

Guitar -> 5 minutes a day is better than 10 hours once a week.

Bodybuilding? I’d recommend less weight, higher intense reps. Ride a bike instead of running and treadmills are dumb.
Guitar - Yeah...I need to dedicate myself to the five minutes a day.  I also need to focus on the basics like strumming and chords rather than trying to learn Metallica lead guitar samples.

Bodybuilding - I've been using a great Athlean X program and learning from Jeff Cavalier's Youtubes.  I've definitely ratcheted down the weight and am focusing on tempo and doing quality eccentric and concentric reps.

I've embraced lawn and landscaping work over the past couple of years.    Lived downtown for 10+ yrs and moved to the burbs 3 yrs ago always hating maintaining a lawn.   Always had a love for interior design and something clicked in me that lawn and landscaping is just EXTERIOR Design.    

Hardest part was year one just cleaning and clearing the crap out, but once in a good place and able to maintain and improve it's very enjoyable and relaxing.  Take 30 mins a night to just do a walk around the house to pick any new weeds here and there, give everything a good watering, etc. while listening to music on headphones.  And it's not just the grass...upgrade bushes, flowers, exterior lighting, etc.     I enjoy it, and my house has quickly become the nicest exterior in the area that I'm pretty damn proud of.

I know one of the things I need to get into is fitness...  but like almost everyone else. that's tough to get excited about.
Biking.  Specifically mountain if your local geography makes that possible.  The bike itself is always something you can tinker with, if you're into that mechanical type stuff.  Easy to burn calories when you're on the bike for that fitness goal.  Easy to turn the hobby into travel plans as well.

I've embraced lawn and landscaping work over the past couple of years.    Lived downtown for 10+ yrs and moved to the burbs 3 yrs ago always hating maintaining a lawn.   Always had a love for interior design and something clicked in me that lawn and landscaping is just EXTERIOR Design.    

Hardest part was year one just cleaning and clearing the crap out, but once in a good place and able to maintain and improve it's very enjoyable and relaxing.  Take 30 mins a night to just do a walk around the house to pick any new weeds here and there, give everything a good watering, etc. while listening to music on headphones.  And it's not just the grass...upgrade bushes, flowers, exterior lighting, etc.     I enjoy it, and my house has quickly become the nicest exterior in the area that I'm pretty damn proud of.
You know I've thought about this..  i think i am going to get dialed in on my lawn starting this fall...  good thought

Cycling, golf and guitar.  Plan on making bowling my winter replacement for golf.   
The winter activity is the one i need to focus on the most..  i have enough going on in the summer.. but in the winter I'm so guilty of coming home, eating, playing with the kids, then just falling asleep to some crappy movie on the couch... and that's not good for anyone

The winter activity is the one i need to focus on the most..  i have enough going on in the summer.. but in the winter I'm so guilty of coming home, eating, playing with the kids, then just falling asleep to some crappy movie on the couch... and that's not good for anyone
Yeah, winter is terrible.   My life is night and day between winter and summer.   I'm actually considering just taking a couple of trips this winter just to break it up.  Nothing crazy.  Just somewhere warmer (possibly San Diego) where I can just hike, bike, golf and get stoned for a week.    

Yeah, winter is terrible.   My life is night and day between winter and summer.   I'm actually considering just taking a couple of trips this winter just to break it up.  Nothing crazy.  Just somewhere warmer (possibly San Diego) where I can just hike, bike, golf and get stoned for a week.    
Totally.   I have thought about this also.   This winter was so cold and snowy..  that literally my hobby was rewatching the 8 harry potter movies... so effing lame.

What about cooking?  It's the rare hobby that can actually save money.  Pairs well with some other other hobbies the OP listed or that others have suggested, too.  Fitness, fishing, gardening, watching sports, smoking weed- all of them can go hand in hand with cooking.

I'm actually more active in the winter( except on Football Sundays) then the summer...
Winter time I am cross country skiing a couple times a week.. each trip is 2 to 5 miles.
I also enjoy hiking more in the winter then the summer..

During the summer.. my time off is spent riding a lawn tractor around the yard mowing ( about 3 hours each Saturday), and then :drive:  to a spot to take photographs. Each year I say "I'm going to get out more during the spring/summer" and each year notta.. 

Reading.  I've been working on a quest to read biographies of all of the Presidents in chronological order for about two years now.  Up to Obama!
Always thought there should be a Presidential History of America. 45 volumes and counting, written/coordinated by the same team (not unlike Cambridge Ancient, Medieval & Modern Histories) that serve as both thoroughgoing biographies of the individual POTUS and a contextualized history of the Republic.

Free time allocation

10% Live Poker

20% movies/concerts - theatre/amazaon/netflix/cable

30% Sports - live and on TV

10% excercise/basketball

10% Fantasy Sports and Sports Gambling

5% Hikes with my dog

5% dining

2% Stock picking and politics

10% International Travel

102% total I realize, but you get the point

Always thought there should be a Presidential History of America. 45 volumes and counting, written/coordinated by the same team (not unlike Cambridge Ancient, Medieval & Modern Histories) that serve as both thoroughgoing biographies of the individual POTUS and a contextualized history of the Republic.
There are a couple of options that are close to that.  Some of the books that I read were from the American Presidents Series of books edited by Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.  They are mostly short books around 200 pages in length on each President -- I used this series for some Presidents that it was hard to otherwise find a full-length bio on.

The Oxford History of the United States is a great multi-volume history series too.  I've read many of the ones in that series, but more history of the US than biographies of the Presidents, but it hits each one.  Intended to be about a dozen books covering the entire history of the US.

Free time allocation

10% Live Poker

20% movies - theatre/amazaon/netflix/cable

40% Sports - live and on TV

10% excercise/basketball

20% Fantasy Sports 

5% Hikes with my dog

10% International Travel

117% total I realize, but you get the point
Jayrok is spot on once again.

TripItUp said:
Free time allocation

10% Live Poker

20% movies/concerts - theatre/amazaon/netflix/cable

30% Sports - live and on TV

10% excercise/basketball

10% Fantasy Sports and Sports Gambling

5% Hikes with my dog

5% dining

10% International Travel

102% total I realize, but you get the point
Other than the dog thing and basketball that's similar to my breakdown..  I also used to spend more like 5-7 percent on the stock picking, but gave up and indexed after following too many Dodds plays without his bankroll.

You should try rock climbing. It's great for strength, flexibility and balance, plus it involves a lot of problem solving. Outdoor climbing is best, but if you're scared you can start in a gym.

My other hobbies include snow skiing, ice climbing, canyoneering, hiking, road and mountain biking.

For passive stuff I play European board games.

Oh, I enjoy watching football much more after quitting ff.

Consider Photography.

It's a great excuse to travel, get in shape, break up your normal routine (like waking at 4am to catch a sunrise). And it's fun!

Also a big part of it is spent on the computer, processing your shots in various artistic ways - so that's stuff you can do when the weather is bad or between shoots.

And if you can sell a few prints here and there - BAM! Everything is a business expense!

k

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Bodybuilding? I’d recommend less weight, higher intense reps. Ride a bike instead of running and treadmills are dumb.
Lifting weights is also fairly dumb. After doing it for decades, I realized you can do just about everything with body weight exercises and not destroy your joints.

Dentist said:
Totally.   I have thought about this also.   This winter was so cold and snowy..  that literally my hobby was rewatching the 8 harry potter movies... so effing lame.
If you have the right clothing and terrain, winter is great. Unfortunately no mountains where you live but snowshoeing is fun, and cross country skiing is supposed to be excellent exercise.

Lifting weights is also fairly dumb. After doing it for decades, I realized you can do just about everything with body weight exercises and not destroy your joints.
Agree 100%. 

I have a few dumbbells and and the rest of my workout is done at the local park or elementary school jungle gym. 

correct

ask any orthopedic physician or physical therapist if you should be powerlifting past 40.   They'll all tell you, hell no.

crossfit is the opposite of healthy...but I digress.

correct

ask any orthopedic physician or physical therapist if you should be powerlifting past 40.   They'll all tell you, hell no.

crossfit is the opposite of healthy...but I digress.
Yeah, I don't like cross-fit or HIIT training either - injuries waiting to happen.

The problem is people want rapid results, and vanity drives them instead of health and functionality.

Start a website about no marriage.  Profit

Collect wheat pennies.  Profit

An Otis fan blog. Profit

A pigeon racing trainer. Profit

Ohh and my hobbies besides grad school....

I like tech stuff?

I have a fly tying table I havent touched since I started school.

Mountain biking, see above.

Land.  Get a house on 10-20 acres and spend your time making it into a paradise.  

If you cant move because you basically just built your house, then look for land to purchase and put a small cabin on it or something.  It will take you a few years, and in the end you can turn a profit on it if you want.  Best of both worlds.

urbanhack said:
Disc golf

Get started with a bag and some discs for $100 to $200.  It's usually free depending on the course and it's a good way to meet people and get some exercise.  

Check out https://www.dgcoursereview.com/ to locate courses in your area.
If you liked throwing frisbees growing up this is a great suggestion.  You can spend $30 on a couple discs and see if it’s your cup of tea before spending more money. 

matttyl said:
Biking.  Specifically mountain if your local geography makes that possible.  The bike itself is always something you can tinker with, if you're into that mechanical type stuff.  Easy to burn calories when you're on the bike for that fitness goal.  Easy to turn the hobby into travel plans as well.
+1 mountain biking.  Hiking is another good one. Woodworking is fun to get into as well. 

Learn some new home improvement skills.  Build a deck or something.

Lawn care/landscaping/gardening.  

What about putting together a list of your 1000 favorite songs by different artists?

Consider Photography.

It's a great excuse to travel, get in shape, break up your normal routine (like waking at 4am to catch a sunrise). And it's fun!

Also a big part of it is spent on the computer, processing your shots in various artistic ways - so that's stuff you can do when the weather is bad or between shoots.

And if you can sell a few prints here and there - BAM! Everything is a business expense!

k
Question: Where does one go to sell a print? I've dabbled in photography for a few years and have some great landscapes from some great vacations. I doubt anything will come of it, but do you know of an avenue to attempt this? 

Surprised golf isn't getting more mention.

Gets you out alone or with friends. Enjoy the outdoors. Can get exercise if you walk. Always room to improve.

Surprised golf isn't getting more mention.

Gets you out alone or with friends. Enjoy the outdoors. Can get exercise if you walk. Always room to improve.
too time consuming, and...

the minute he lips out he's going to yell "bad beat" and walk off the course.

Users who are viewing this thread