What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deep Fakes (1 Viewer)

It might end up being a bit of a good thing if it actually makes people look to see if something is real.  There will probably be a lot of bad before any good though.  The 100 - 1 detection thing is a little scary, but once it becomes imperative to root them out that will bloom as that side becomes more profitable.

It might end up being a bit of a good thing if it actually makes people look to see if something is real.  There will probably be a lot of bad before any good though.  The 100 - 1 detection thing is a little scary, but once it becomes imperative to root them out that will bloom as that side becomes more profitable.
No way it is a good thing. Is the glut of fake information and conspiracy theories causing people to dig deeper for accurate and well sourced info? It seems the opposite.

The good news is that we can still detect them. They are getting better and better, but the head tilts and angles arent perfected yet. 

The straight looking into the camera is the hardest to detect visually. 

I'm not a chicken little when it comes to technology, but this is the first one that really scares me.  People will believe anything they read on the internet.  Now they are going to be spreading actual videos of people saying things they never said?  The internet has shown people will just not put in the effort to root out reality from lies, they will continue to believe what they see and won't go to snopes or whatever to see if these things are real.

I spend half my internet time now calling out the bull#### that my sister spreads as truth.  People don't put in the time or effort now to delineate fact from fiction or science from pseudoscience.  When it becomes even more difficult, fewer will try.  People can no longer tell what is real anymore, so it is easiest to buy into whatever fits their current biases/agenda.  This will undoubtedly fuel conspiracy theories.  I fear people's paranoia and confusion will continue to grow to the point no one will trust anyone.

Unless technology develops to ensure the validity of videos/photos (think something along the lines of a blockchain for media), at some point video/photographic "evidence" won't be trusted anymore.

Personally, I'm not even sure it can be trusted without other collaborating evidence right now.

shuke said:
You serious?  Most people believe almost anything they hear/read.
Right.  What's going to potentially change that?  Something major.  Don't get me wrong, there will be a lot of issues, but it might actually be a touchstone moment for people.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/12/24/deepfakes-michigan-members-of-congress-address-threat/2679222001/

The article takes a political angle, but at least shows there is concern and interest in combating this emerging technology.  

With clear evidence that Russian-backed operatives interfered with the 2016 presidential election in the U.S., those threats are even higher going into 2020 as well.

“We already know the potential for manipulation exists in social media platforms and digital media,” said Peters, the top ranking Democrat on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, referring to evidence of bots and fake accounts on Twitter, Facebook and other social media that can often be used to attempt to confuse or coerce viewers into believing one thing or another. “Deepfakes take that to a whole new level.”

By using advanced technology, precise video and audio editing equipment, specialized software, impersonators and AI — artificial intelligence, through which computing technology can review and fix mistakes, learning not to make the same mistakes again — creators of deepfakes can produce material that makes it seem like something happened that never did.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/12/24/deepfakes-michigan-members-of-congress-address-threat/2679222001/

The article takes a political angle, but at least shows there is concern and interest in combating this emerging technology. 

“We already know the potential for manipulation exists in social media platforms and digital media,” said Peters, the top ranking Democrat on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, referring to evidence of bots and fake accounts on Twitter, Facebook and other social media that can often be used to attempt to confuse or coerce viewers into believing one thing or another. “Deepfakes take that to a whole new level.”

By using advanced technology, precise video and audio editing equipment, specialized software, impersonators and AI — artificial intelligence, through which computing technology can review and fix mistakes, learning not to make the same mistakes again — creators of deepfakes can produce material that makes it seem like something happened that never did.
Sounds like a Madame Secretary episode I just saw...

Hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread