Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jackstraw

IRL Political Activism Thread

Recommended Posts

I have made a committment to the 2020 election cycle. I have been marginally politically active in the past. At one point I was the treasuruer for a failed State Rep run in KS. (DESTROYED) I have made cash contributions in the past and been shouty on the innerwebs. But I feel called to be truly active more than ever. I thought this might be a thread to document FBG's real life efforts on the ground. I think it would be  great way to get a feel for the elections on either side of the political spectrum. I'm just as interested in conservative efforts.  To date this cycle I have made cash contributions to Buttegieg, Warren and Harris for President. I made one this morning for Amy McGrath who announced her run against Mitch McConnell. A man should not have the power that Mitch has had, an abuse it so thouroughly. 

But the mission I have chose as a citizen of KS is the KS Sentate Race. Chris (ERRRR Kris) Kobach anounced his run this week. I can't deal with that. I actually hope he wins the primary because I feel he is defeatable and could possibly be  flip seat in a razor thin senate in 2020. 

I haven't dug into the dynamics of the race but I plan to put some skin in the game in terms of time and effort rather than just cash and innernet BS. (Don't get me wrong the innernet is critical but its not everything). I'll post my learnings and adventures and would love to hear what others are doing across the country. Right or left we need to get off our asses and make our electeds respond to the people.    

Anyone else planning to get in the game? 

  • Like 6
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and I will work to do whatever it takes to flip Susan Collin's seat in Maine. At least Mitch is an honest scumbag. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Oh and I will work to do whatever it takes to flip Susan Collin's seat in Maine. At least Mitch is an honest scumbag. 

So in your world Susan Collins is a dishonest “scumbag”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HellToupee said:

So in your world Susan Collins is a dishonest “scumbag”?

Absolutely.

Barry Grissom is the only Dem to declare for US Senate today. Former US Attorney. Will be researching him in the near future. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Grissom

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This doesn't sound partisan in the least. Collins runs as a moderate Republican. She's not going to break from the party on fundamental issues, or she'd run as an independent. That's sort of the point of having parties.

But enough of that. I am not politically active and cannot think of anybody I support nationally or locally (our Congressman is Duncan Hunter, sadly).

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rockaction said:

This doesn't sound partisan in the least. Collins runs as a moderate Republican. She's not going to break from the party on fundamental issues, or she'd run as an independent. That's sort of the point of having parties.

But enough of that. I am not politically active and cannot think of anybody I support nationally or locally (our Congressman is Duncan Hunter, sadly).

Oh I'm quite partisan I assure you. But she's been toeing the line pretending she's a moderate in a state we might realistically get a dem in. And in the end she always votes the same way a hard right Republican votes. I find that startingly dishonest because she tries REALLY HARD to give the impression that she might......maybe......possibly.......vote moderately but in the end.....she's really just terribly dissapounted.The Kavanaugh vote was galavanizing.  https://crooksandliars.com/2019/05/susan-collins-very-disappointed-again

But again I'd love to hear what people are actually doing out there. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jackstraw said:

Oh I'm quite partisan I assure you. But she's been toeing the line pretending she's a moderate in a state we might realistically get a dem in. And in the end she always votes the same way a hard right Republican votes. I find that startingly dishonest because she tries REALLY HARD to give the impression that she might......maybe......possibly.......vote moderately but in the end.....she's really just terribly dissapounted.The Kavanaugh vote was galavanizing.  https://crooksandliars.com/2019/05/susan-collins-very-disappointed-again

But again I'd love to hear what people are actually doing out there. 

Fair enough on all fronts. I'll indeed also leave the thread to those that are indeed doing stuff. proninja, who doesn't come around anymore, is rumored to have gotten politically active and involved for sure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HellToupee said:

Mitch needs to stay 

https://www.teammitch.com/

Can you say why?

He is the roadblock to anything getting done at this point.  Even bipartisan and legislation the people want and need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for me, less active than id like at times. More locally than nationally as ive been a community first and nationally the right carries the politics a lot in TN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Kansas resident why do you feel you should have an influence in Maine’s residents’ choice in their representation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did some work for MJ Hegar in the TX-31st in 2018.  i'll probably do some more volunteering for her in her TX Senate bid against Cornyn.  she's impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gary Coal Man said:

As a Kansas resident why do you feel you should have an influence in Maine’s residents’ choice in their representation?

Democrats = good

Republicans = bad 

Its all about rooting for your team

Collins is probably a good senator because she seems to get both sets of fans angry. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gary Coal Man said:

As a Kansas resident why do you feel you should have an influence in Maine’s residents’ choice in their representation?

Because the votes on Maine's Senator has direct consequences in my life.

If Exxon, NRA, Unions etc and all those can contribute hundreds of millions.......

Your point is taken tho. It would be glorious if only individual State citizens could contribute. But that's not where we find ourselves. 

Let's get that on the platform.  

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gary Coal Man said:

As a Kansas resident why do you feel you should have an influence in Maine’s residents’ choice in their representation?

I can't speak for Jackstraw, but I can speak for me: It's a national lawmaking body devoid of most of the federalism restraints first attributed to it. The movement away from the state legislature election of Senators through the 17th Amendment paved the way for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jackstraw said:

Because the votes on Maine's Senator has direct consequences in my life.

If Exxon, NRA, Unions etc and all those can contribute hundreds of millions.......

Your point is taken tho. It would be glorious if only individual State citizens could contribute. But that's not where we find ourselves. 

Let's get that on the platform. 

We disagree on so little, yet on this point we do. It's up to Maine how nationally they view the election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've signed up to volunteer for Jamie Harrison, running for Lindsey Grahams seat.  Not that I know anything about Harrison, but Graham has revealed himself to be the hackiest of partisan hacks. 

I was cool with Graham when he allied up with McCain and played the "maverick" card, but now that he is a Trump nutswinger, he's got to go.  It's an uphill battle in this state, but I can't sit idly by.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure I'll get involved in MJ Hegar's Senate run against John Cornyn, as well as whoever the Dem nominee is against Trump.

But also, I'd encourage y'all to get involved in your local races. The local boards/councils likely have a big effect on your day to day life. 

There are a number of seats up on my City Council. I'll definitely be involved in those.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm on the Executive board of my legislative Dem party here in AZ. Fairly red district, so I'm mainly just working to strengthen the LD by building the donor base and building the candidate bench via school board races and the like - something the R's successfully started doing years and years ago. That role keeps me pretty busy.

I managed two primary and general campaigns last cycle (state House and state Senate). We lost but outperformed the registered R's which has really helped the party grow here. We have a targeted Congressional race and a shot at a state house seat as long as we single shot it. I'll end up involved in those campaigns as well.

I do other stuff, like help the asylum seekers. Most of my activity started after the 2017 Virginia elections but I'm definitely part of the Democratic Class of Trump. I changed registration to Dem from party not defined so I could fight the cancerous growth that is today's GOP.

 

Edited by McBokonon
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And by the way, if you want to get REALLY involved and gain experience and still help the more sexy Senate and Congressional races, find out what your local Legislative District is up to. You'll probably be able to learn and do a lot more there than getting rolled into the bigger machines, but will still impact those races. 

Edited by McBokonon
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to throw my time and money behind McGrath. I like her positions, her style, and I think Mitch is one of the biggest problems in government right now. Unfortunately, he isn’t as inept as trump, so his damage feels more lasting to me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just volunteered to work for Amy McGrath to hopefully Ditch Mitch.  Ive never been active in politics before but if there ever was a time to get active....this is the time.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

13 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Democrats = good

Republicans = bad 

 

Before 2016 I never felt this way. Not by a long shot.  I am the product of a “mixed” marriage between a GOP and a Democrat.

I live and work and socialize in a very conservative world.

Now?  It’s hard for me to disagree with what I snipped/quoted.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Because the votes on Maine's Senator has direct consequences in my life.

If Exxon, NRA, Unions etc and all those can contribute hundreds of millions.......

Your point is taken tho. It would be glorious if only individual State citizens could contribute. But that's not where we find ourselves. 

Let's get that on the platform.  

 

Yes...after Citizens United why does anyone care where money comes from???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great thread.  Love hearing of people who are working hard on either side.

I haven't done crap except contribute $$ to a few D candidates.  I contributed to Mayor Pete (twice) and then to Castro and Inslee just because I wanted to keep them in the conversation.  As a WA resident I'm not a huge Inslee fan but want his climate change agenda out there.  Castro is probably too centrist for me compared to others, but I also wanted his voice to continue to be heard on immigration and other issues.

I don't feel like Harris and Warren need my $$ right now, but I'll throw some in for them when the time arises.

Mr. krista has pledged (and I'll hold him to it) to work hard canvassing for any of Warren, Sanders, Harris, or Mayor Pete if they win the nomination.  I'm not sure if I will or will just throw more $$ at them.  Just being honest.  I hate going and trying to persuade strangers to do something.

To be clear, both of us would vote for a set of googly eyes affixed to a debate podium before we'd vote for Trump, but this is where our allegiances lie at the moment.

Living in Washington, there's not a huge opportunity for local/state changes.  It's as blue as blue can be everywhere we turn.  But we have supported our GB proninja's city council bid!  :D 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McGrath with a record fundriasing haul raising 2.5 Million the first day after her announcement. Make Mitch defend Mordor. He won't have as many orcs to trouble the other Kingdom's. 

Talked to an active leader in the KS democratic party. Says there are a couple of other Dem candidates preparing to announce. One of whom dropped out from the Republican party recently. 

Still keeping my powder dry to look at candidates. 

I will be doing general volunteer work for the Sedgwick County (Wichita) Dems. Call banking, special events etc. Looking into becoming a precinct organizer.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily candidate driven, but more issue driven stuff as well.

For instance, trying to clear up time to attend this event in August. Especially after hearing former Vanderbilt basketball player Shan Foster speak on the topic.  Nashville/Tennessee is apparently very high the list of places where domestic abise and violence against women have happened.  They are looking to change the culture of how all that starts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 6:57 AM, rockaction said:

This doesn't sound partisan in the least. Collins runs as a moderate Republican. She's not going to break from the party on fundamental issues, or she'd run as an independent. That's sort of the point of having parties.

But enough of that. I am not politically active and cannot think of anybody I support nationally or locally (our Congressman is Duncan Hunter, sadly).

You live in East County??  I had no idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

You live in East County??  I had no idea. 

No, I live in the paradise known as the Inland Empire. Moved there about four years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two quick things.

1. Drop the scumbag talk. We can have a board where we talk about people in office without resorting to "scumbag" as that's mostly used just to tweak the "other" side. And yes, I know that's super lame and tame compared to other boards. I'm aware. 

2. This is a great topic. I love seeing people do things in real life. Good for you all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Two quick things.

1. Drop the scumbag talk. We can have a board where we talk about people in office without resorting to "scumbag" as that's mostly used just to tweak the "other" side. And yes, I know that's super lame and tame compared to other boards. I'm aware. 

2. This is a great topic. I love seeing people do things in real life. Good for you all.

 

10-4 sometimes mouf/fingers move faster than brain. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

10-4 sometimes mouf/fingers move faster than brain. 

Me too. 

On side note, of our Footballguys Staffers left a few years ago to go into full time political activism work. He lives in the New England area. Pretty cool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Me too. 

On side note, of our Footballguys Staffers left a few years ago to go into full time political activism work. He lives in the New England area. Pretty cool.

Levin?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Levin?  

No. Craig Zumsteg that did some injury stuff with Dr. Jene. Really great guy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 9:46 AM, HellToupee said:

So in your world Susan Collins is a dishonest “scumbag”?

She is also a target of numerous death threats.  What exactly does 'do whatever it takes' mean in this context.   She is one of the bravest and classiest people in the Senate and that post is one of the worst I have seen on this forum.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 9:42 AM, Jackstraw said:

Oh and I will work to do whatever it takes to flip Susan Collin's seat in Maine. At least Mitch is an honest scumbag. 

Just oozing class up in here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

She is also a target of numerous death threats.  What exactly does 'do whatever it takes' mean in this context.   She is one of the bravest and classiest people in the Senate and that post is one of the worst I have seen on this forum.   

What makes her one of the bravest people in the Senate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whoknew said:

What makes her one of the bravest people in the Senate?

To face endless death threats from people across the country and still vote her conscious.  This includes people who stalked her at home and even got directly in her face and verbally assaulted her.  She exhibited far more bravery than Blasey Ford whom the left lionizes.  The idea that a woman can even have a moderate view on abortion seems to be too much for some people to handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

To face endless death threats from people across the country and still vote her conscious.  This includes people who stalked her at home and even got directly in her face and verbally assaulted her.  She exhibited far more bravery than Blasey Ford whom the left lionizes.  The idea that a woman can even have a moderate view on abortion seems to be too much for some people to handle.

 

Huh. That's an interesting way to view both Collins and Blasey Ford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, whoknew said:

 

Huh. That's an interesting way to view both Collins and Blasey Ford. 

It is a far more objective view than what the OP is taking.  Taking away where each one stands on the political spectrum, which one is braver?  The one who hides behind her lawyer, continually moves out of fear, and is afraid to return to her job despite having private security.  Or the one who faces the public and individuals who threaten her nose to nose and does not even blink and completes her job.  It takes far more 'interesting' rationale to conclude the first one is braver.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

It is a far more objective view than what the OP is taking.  Taking away where each one stands on the political spectrum, which one is braver?  The one who hides behind her lawyer, continually moves out of fear, and is afraid to return to her job despite having private security.  Or the one who faces the public and individuals who threaten her nose to nose and does not even blink and completes her job.  It takes far more 'interesting' rationale to conclude the first one is braver.  

To what does the bolded refer?  I haven't been following her all that closely, but as far as I can tell from Twitter and a quick google search she hasn't held a town hall in a long time, if ever, and has only visited GOP-friendly towns in her state since the vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

To what does the bolded refer?  I haven't been following her all that closely, but as far as I can tell from Twitter and a quick google search she hasn't held a town hall in a long time, if ever, and has only visited GOP-friendly towns in her state since the vote.

Here is a NY Times article about her.  She is surrounded by reporters, does her job, is accessible, and just normally commutes to and from home.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Here is a NY Times article about her.  She is surrounded by reporters, does her job, is accessible, and just normally commutes to and from home.  

I don't seen anything in that article that constitutes "facing individuals that threaten her nose to nose and not even blinking and completing her job." Not would I describe her as "accessible" based on anything in there including the photo (that happens to every prominent member of Congress on both sides of the hill and both sides of the aisle). In fact it seems to me that she has been going out of her way to avoid constituents who might criticize her since the Kavanaugh vote, and to some extent well before that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

It is a far more objective view than what the OP is taking.  Taking away where each one stands on the political spectrum, which one is braver?  The one who hides behind her lawyer, continually moves out of fear, and is afraid to return to her job despite having private security.  Or the one who faces the public and individuals who threaten her nose to nose and does not even blink and completes her job.  It takes far more 'interesting' rationale to conclude the first one is braver.  

 

I know I shouldn't do this, but - I disagree. So the answer to your question is Blasey Ford. 

It takes much more courage for a victim to come forward and speak her truth against a potential S.Ct. justice and panel of GOP senators sent there to protect that judge than it does for a powerful Senator to succumb to her party's wishes and vote for someone she knows will not uphold her own beliefs nor the beliefs of her constituents.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

I don't seen anything in that article that constitutes "facing individuals that threaten her nose to nose and not even blinking and completing her job." Not would I describe her as "accessible" based on anything in there including the photo (that happens to every prominent member of Congress on both sides of the hill and both sides of the aisle). In fact it seems to me that she has been going out of her way to avoid constituents who might criticize her since the Kavanaugh vote, and to some extent well before that.

Doesn't look like a women hiding from the public.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, whoknew said:

 

I know I shouldn't do this, but - I disagree. So the answer to your question is Blasey Ford. 

It takes much more courage for a victim to come forward and speak her truth against a potential S.Ct. justice and panel of GOP senators sent there to protect that judge than it does for a powerful Senator to succumb to her party's wishes and vote for someone she knows will not uphold her own beliefs nor the beliefs of her constituents.

I would also say it takes much more courage for a victim to come forward and speak her truth as Blasey Ford did than it does for a Senator to hold a town hall meeting in which some of her constituents might be angry with her ... and Collins hasn't even found the courage to do that.

I challenge anyone to compare Collins' refusal to hold town halls or respond to constituents critical of her Kavanaugh vote and other actions to empower Trump with what Dems faced at town halls in the wake of the ACA and come back and tell me how courageous she's been.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

 

I know I shouldn't do this, but - I disagree. So the answer to your question is Blasey Ford. 

It takes much more courage for a victim to come forward and speak her truth against a potential S.Ct. justice and panel of GOP senators sent there to protect that judge than it does for a powerful Senator to succumb to her party's wishes and vote for someone she knows will not uphold her own beliefs nor the beliefs of her constituents.

You define not upholding her beliefs in your way.  Let's just say maybe Collins does not believe in the ridiculously modern notion that there should be a litmus test for confirming Supreme Court nominees, but perhaps she see her duties is to confirm nominees based on their qualification.  Collins is the bravest most independent Senator we have left.  She can confirm Kavanaugh on one hand to infuriate the left and she can also vote for Obamacare to infuriate the right.  If that is not bravery to piss off both sides to the maximum extent possible, I am not sure what it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Doesn't look like a women hiding from the public.  

It doesn't?  Did you read this part of the article?
 

Quote

 

The race next year is likely to be fought in more populous southern Maine, where Portland is growing and trending distinctly Democratic. Even the more Republican North sent a warning shot in 2018 when it narrowly elected a Democrat, Jared Golden, to the House.

But here in tiny Eastport, Collins defenders say she is still one of them. The city, whose year-round population of nearly 1,300 more than doubles in the summer, looks across a bay at Canada and has the largest Fourth of July celebration in the state, a razzle-dazzle weeklong affair with beauty pageants, a watermelon-eating contest and a codfish relay race, in which participants doff and don rain gear without dropping a cod.

Many parade-goers did not have Mr. Trump or the Supreme Court at the top of their minds; they were too busy thanking Ms. Collins for making a last-minute call to the secretary of the Navy to assure that a destroyer would be in port — a boon for local tourism and hometown pride.

 

Why is she visiting small towns in GOP-friendly areas and not in the bigger cities where she could see more of the people she is tasked with representing? Has she met with her constituents in the "more populous southern part of the state" since the Kavanaugh vote?  When was the last time she did?  Did she speak with the people in Eastport who yelled to her about Kavanaugh, as you suggested she does in this post, or did she just ignore them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TobiasFunke said:

I would also say it takes much more courage for a victim to come forward and speak her truth as Blasey Ford did than it does for a Senator to hold a town hall meeting in which some of her constituents might be angry with her ... and Collins hasn't even found the courage to do that.

I challenge anyone to compare Collins' refusal to hold town halls or respond to constituents critical of her Kavanaugh vote and other actions to empower Trump with what Dems faced at town halls in the wake of the ACA and come back and tell me how courageous she's been.

She waited for 35 years to dust off this memory (which she had hardly thought about for decades, had never told anyone about until some therapist dug it out of her, which not one other soul can confirm any details about) in the most politically partisan way imaginable, and you want to case that off as speaking the truth.  Her testimony would be destroyed in every court possible as completely unreliable, unconfirmed, and lacking even a single verifiable detail.  You call that 'truth', I can it a dubious and politically motivated.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.