What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the earliest major news event that you remember in your lifetime? (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Footballguy
I saw this trending on Twitter and thought it might make for an interesting (shtick and non-shtick) topic.

The earliest one that I can remember was the Challenger explosion.  I remember coming back into class after lunch/recess and my teacher telling my class about it, because she was watching in the faculty break room.  Some teachers at my school (as many all over did) had applied for the spot that went to McAuliffe.

I was 6 at the time.  That seems a bit old for first news memory, but I can't think of anything earlier.

Watergate scandal.  I would have been about 5 or 6 and it was constant to the point where I (clearly) can remember not wanting to watch TV because this story was on.  I didn't understand why it was on, I didn't understand why it was so important, etc.  I get it now but as a 5 or 6 year old, it drove me and my brother to go play outside! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
my reaction to the Sputnik launch, the wk b4 i turned 3, got me on TV. i've told the story too many times before - a FBG search of the name of the satellite should yield sumn

First thing off the top of my head is the Bicentennial Celebration in 1976. I was about 7 at the time. I'm sure there is something else, but that was the first one that popped into me head. 

Watergate scandal.  I would have been about 5 or 6 and it was constant to the point where I (clearly) can remember not wanting to watch TV because this story was on.  I didn't understand why it was on, I didn't understand why it was so important, etc.  I get it now but as a 5 or 6 year old, it drove me and my brother to go play outside! :)
I remember Nixon resigning, but not watergate. 

I remember the Apollo 11 moon landing, though I was only 6 months old at the time. 

Ive been told over and over it’s not possible to have memories at that age, but I can remember distinctly the images on that old Zenith tv, and the green painted tv stand it was on. 

John Glenn going into space in 1962.  The entire elementary school was taken to the cafeteria/auditorium where we got to watch about a 12-inch B&W television with a rabbit-ear antenna show the launch. I'm told the 6th-graders up front could actually see what was happening through the "snow" on the screen. Us 1st-graders in the back could barely tell the tv was on.

I remember the Apollo 11 moon landing, though I was only 6 months old at the time. 

Ive been told over and over it’s not possible to have memories at that age, but I can remember distinctly the images on that old Zenith tv, and the green painted tv stand it was on. 
Same here but I was almost 4, it's the earliest thing I can remember.

I seem to remember the funeral of Pope John I being a big deal.  Remember watching some of it with my mom and an elderly lady named Sue Sue who was a hoarder and an awful driver. 

Eruption of Mount St. Helens also stands out.  Was terrified of lava coming to get me.  

I saw this trending on Twitter and thought it might make for an interesting (shtick and non-shtick) topic.

The earliest one that I can remember was the Challenger explosion.  I remember coming back into class after lunch/recess and my teacher telling my class about it, because she was watching in the faculty break room.  Some teachers at my school (as many all over did) had applied for the spot that went to McAuliffe.

I was 6 at the time.  That seems a bit old for first news memory, but I can't think of anything earlier.
This ... or... 

Eruption of Mount St. Helens also stands out.  Was terrified of lava coming to get me.  
Maybe this actually... 

This for me too I think.  Although being 12 I would think there was something before that.  Maybe Im old and cant remember anymore

Baby Jessica was the first thing that came to mind for me for some reason but this is a better answer. We must be close in age. 

I remember watching the news and seeing the hunt for the Night Stalker (Richard Rameriz), it freaked me the hell out as I was 10 and living in North Orange County.

Baby Jessica was the first thing that came to mind for me for some reason but this is a better answer. We must be close in age. 
Yeah, I remember Baby Jessica too.  A fair amount that I remember from 86/87 -- Halley's Comet too.  I was looking at a list of events in 1985, and don't have memories of any of those; so, I feel like that's where I started.

Yeah, I remember Baby Jessica too.  A fair amount that I remember from 86/87 -- Halley's Comet too.  I was looking at a list of events in 1985, and don't have memories of any of those; so, I feel like that's where I started.
Yep we went to see Halley’s Comet so that’s in the mix too. 

I vividly remember when Reagan was shot, because the Vice Principal came into our classroom (1st grade) to tell us. I remember how he was waving his arms up and down and asking us to remain calm, which seemed odd because none of us kids were hysterical (and he was the one with the quivering voice). We were all just stunned and confused.

First one that immediately came to mind was Challenger explosion since it happened while I was at school.  But I just looked it up and I was about 5 years older than I thought.  Oof my memory is for ####.

Probably vote DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES

Last edited by a moderator:
Earliest would be the 1985 World Series (lived in Missouri) when I was 7.  Lots of buzz about who to root for.

After that, the Challenger explosion when I was 8.  Remember the somber reaction from our teachers and the principal.

Same for me. I was your same age. 

I remember my parents being glued to the television and I had no idea why. 

The fall of the Berlin Wall - I was 6. My grandpa was friend's with Bush and I think I remember his inauguration earlier the same year, but it certainly could have been some event during his presidency I'm sorta but not really remembering.

I'm amazed that my kids remember things from when they were as young as 2 or 3. I can't remember anything beyond a couple of visuals from before age 6.

I feel like I remember the Challenger but I was really young I probably just remember anniversaries of the event on the news. So I think the Berlin Wall coming down might be my first that I definitely was very aware of and had lots of qestions, interest. 

Reagan being shot or the airplane that crashed on the 14th street bridge in 1982.   I don't know why I remember the second one but remember being home and watching all the news coverage of it.
These might be mine, too, although I don't have very strong memories of either and it's hard to know if I remember when they actually happened or if I just "remember" them based on other memories after the fact. I was 5 when Reagan was shot. But, I'm somewhat confident I remember watching news coverage that day.

I definitely have a clear memory of watching the first 49ers-Bengals SB, which would have been almost a year after Reagan.

I seem to remember the funeral of Pope John I being a big deal.  Remember watching some of it with my mom and an elderly lady named Sue Sue who was a hoarder and an awful driver. 

Ronald Reagan shot.
Reagan was first thing in my head, but I do vividly remember MSH eruption.  Living in Central Oregon we got some ash.  My sister and her husband had moved to Yakima, WA not long before the eruption.  We visited them early that summer and there was ash everywhere.

My memory's kind of going, but I remember a while back there was an earthquake outside of LA that was like a 7.1.  It hit just days after a 6 something on the Richter scale hit.  Crazy times.

Users who are viewing this thread