What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is This An Appropriate Request When Accepting A New Job? Asking to Delay Giving Notice to Current Job (1 Viewer)

ClownCausedChaos2

Footballguy
At my current job, I need to give three weeks notice.  In order to receive my PTO payout, I need to work all three of those weeks.  I have close to 3 weeks of PTO.  I have vacation the week of July 22nd.  I was just offered a new job today. Would it be appropriate for me to ask the new company to wait until July 29th for me to put in my 3 weeks notice at my current company?

I can't give up the vacation week, unfortunately. What is the right play here? Do I give up my PTO payout without asking the new company? If I ask and they refuse to do it, I wouldn't fight them one minute on that. I'm just not sure if even asking is not form when accepting a new job.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an employer I ask about current vacations scheduled amid start-date conversation so both parties agree on the date together. It shows confidence that everything will be okay and work out. It also creates goodwill and let’s them know that you honor commitments and you expect they will too, such as vacation plans or promises to their family. 

I would think a conversation discussing your concerns and their needs is okay. If they say they need you sooner at least you know where they stand and you can weigh the decision further. 

We’ve had people do this recently (ie ask for a start date a month or two out) when we are in desperate need of help. We have pushed back and generally gotten them in more quickly. 

Nothing wrong with asking.  Just tell them you have a previously planned family vacation and want to give your current employer 3 weeks notice out of respect.   Most companies will be totally cool with it unless they hired you for a specific project and need you ASAP.  But you would likely know that already if that's the case.

We’ve had people do this recently (ie ask for a start date a month or two out) when we are in desperate need of help. We have pushed back and generally gotten them in more quickly. 

Nothing wrong with asking.  Just tell them you have a previously planned family vacation and want to give your current employer 3 weeks notice out of respect.   Most companies will be totally cool with it unless they hired you for a specific project and need you ASAP.  But you would likely know that already if that's the case.
I'm leaning towards asking in the most respectful way possible.  If they tell me no then the answer is no and that's that.  

Thanks for all of the advice so far.

I did this exact thing... had a 5 figure bonus coming 6 weeks after my offer with current company.   I didn't ask, I told them when I could start and why.

They were happy to let me finish the fiscal year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this exact thing... had a 5 figure bonus coming 6 weeks after my offer with current company.   
:moneybag:

To answer the OP, we often negotiate a start date.  I'm sure their HR goes down this road with many/most new employees.  Not a big deal.

Did you accept the offer yet?  If not ask for a signing bonus to offset the lost vacation pay.

Just don’t do what one guy did to us on Monday. 

We had to completely rebuild a Sales region. Brought in a great Regional Vice President and had to make 5 sales rep hires. We went through 100 resumes from our 3 recruiters. Umpteen phone interviews. Then face to face interviews with 15 finalists over 2 weeks. One guy we make an offer to came from a former direct competitor (normally we avoid)  They were acquired and it wasn’t working with the new company. Guy accepts the offer and asks if we can wait 45 days as he’s due $75K in commission. Agreed. Then he calls and says it isn’t getting paid for 30 more days. Bummed but agreed, as our compelling event was Summer Sales training. Anyway, he finally starts. Works exactly 2 weeks. Called Monday and said he’s resigning, no notice, is actually in LA and already started with our #1 competitor. First day. Better offer.

So weak.  I want to use his non compete against him so bad (enforceable where he resides in Washington, tougher law not in place until Jan 1)  We’ll send a firm letter from our attorneys but HR is a paper Tiger with this stuff  

Small world in what we do. Didn’t enhance his brand.  Dead to me and my network (including prominent recruiters)  

Just don’t do what one guy did to us on Monday. 

We had to completely rebuild a Sales region. Brought in a great Regional Vice President and had to make 5 sales rep hires. We went through 100 resumes from our 3 recruiters. Umpteen phone interviews. Then face to face interviews with 15 finalists over 2 weeks. One guy we make an offer to came from a former direct competitor (normally we avoid)  They were acquired and it wasn’t working with the new company. Guy accepts the offer and asks if we can wait 45 days as he’s due $75K in commission. Agreed. Then he calls and says it isn’t getting paid for 30 more days. Bummed but agreed, as our compelling event was Summer Sales training. Anyway, he finally starts. Works exactly 2 weeks. Called Monday and said he’s resigning, no notice, is actually in LA and already started with our #1 competitor. First day. Better offer.

So weak.  I want to use his non compete against him so bad (enforceable where he resides in Washington, tougher law not in place until Jan 1)  We’ll send a firm letter from our attorneys but HR is a paper Tiger with this stuff  

Small world in what we do. Didn’t enhance his brand.  Dead to me and my network (including prominent recruiters)  
Sounds like a real nice guy.  Sounds like you might be better off.

Thank you all once again for the advice.  They wanted me to start earlier than would allow me to collect my PTO.  I explained my situation to them, but also emphasized that their position was my top priority.  They said that they understood my situation and had they been in my position, would certainly not want to give up their PTO payout.  We agreed on a date that worked for both of us.  

Thank you all once again for the advice.  They wanted me to start earlier than would allow me to collect my PTO.  I explained my situation to them, but also emphasized that their position was my top priority.  They said that they understood my situation and had they been in my position, would certainly not want to give up their PTO payout.  We agreed on a date that worked for both of us.  
When they want you they'll make it work.  Sounds like a good deal for all.

Definitely ask.  Last week l received a job offer and as I like the people l currently work with I asked them if it was alright to give 3 weeks notice.  They said they would like me to start in two weeks.  I said fine, two weeks.  They did agree to give me off a week in August though as I have vacation plans already set then.

As others have said, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread