What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We Should Drink More Like The French (1 Viewer)

Do you agree with the article?

• Absolutely agree

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Mostly agree

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • On the fence

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Mostly disagree

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Absolutely disagree

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Thought this was a really good article.

Why the French Are Better Drinkers Than Americans

Basically it's saying we Americans make drinking a sport and for the French it's a compliment to the social experience.

The whole article is good but i think this sums it up:

Apparently, it’s not that the French can drink anyone under the table, but rather, that no one wants to be under the table to begin with. In fact, the table is such a beloved piece of real estate, the opportunity to sit there discounts the desire for just about anything else. 

What do you think?

We should drink more like whichever population drinks the most water.  I try to make sure that I always drink more water than anything else in a given day. 

As a better answer to the OP - I basically limit my all-day drinking to beach trips and even then I make sure to spread it out.  Alcohol just makes me sleep bad and then I inevitably feel bad the next day - whether I’m hungover or just tired/feeling crappy.

The whole concept of acquiring a taste for alcohol, typically as a result of peer pressure, is silly. It’s even sillier to value how much/what one drinks, suggesting there is an iota of skill/sophistication in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess most people have a revelation like the author did between the ages of 25 and 30.

Looks like she graduated college in 2016 and assumes her experience there and as a 20-something living in NYC is the "American way of drinking."
I haven't ever been to NY, but I imagine it isn't anywhere near as excessive as the environment I grew up. And if it is then that's another check mark in her favor.

“Here, you take a long lunch, you go home early, you stay home if you’re tired."
You can do this here too, pal.  May not have a job to go to in the morning but you can do it.  

"You drink with your friends because it enhances the mood, not because you’re trying to get away from something.”
So all Americans drink because they are trying to escape something?  To drown sorrows?  Way to paint with a broad stroke there.  And I'm sure there are no French citizens that use alcohol for reasons other than socializing.  Uh huh.  

So all Americans drink because they are trying to escape something?  To drown sorrows?  Way to paint with a broad stroke there.  And I'm sure there are no French citizens that use alcohol for reasons other than socializing.  Uh huh.  
I think the author might be an alcoholic the way she describes her drinking habits (and attributes the way Americans drink to the way she drinks).

I think the author might be an alcoholic the way she describes her drinking habits (and attributes the way Americans drink to the way she drinks).
Good point.  Maybe in her life alcohol abuse is all she's seen.  Maybe college kids getting wasted is her breadth of experience. 

On the fence, only because almost all the French Execs I have been around from Peugeot do not fit that mold at all. Seen my share of drunken Frenchmen.

In Wisconsin kids with their parents are allowed to have a drink at restaurants/bars. The owner/Bartender always has the option to say no if they feel it is warranted.

My wife would meet up with a couple of her friends once or twice a month and started bringing our daughter along to have a drink or two when she turned 15.
Not sure if our daughter is just more responsible then we were when we were young, or if that helped.
But she is now 20 1/2 has yet to be the the person on the right :suds:  

I think most people are getting so offended by the "French v. American" spin on the article that they are failing to see the forest for the trees.
Yes, not sure how we could be so dense as to make a thread titled "We Should Drink More Like The French" based on an article titled "Why the French Are Better Drinkers Than Americans" about France v. America.

It’s interesting to see which stereotypes are allowed and which aren’t.  I find that the people most against stereotyping in principle are often the people most apt to stereotype in practice, but only with stereotypes they view as acceptable.

Yes, not sure how we could be so dense as to make a thread titled "We Should Drink More Like The French" based on an article titled "Why the French Are Better Drinkers Than Americans" about France v. America.
Well, that's pretty much my point.

I've only been to France once so I can't claim to be an expert on French culture but as some one else mentioned that approach to drinking is pretty prevalent in European culture. Of course that doesn't mean every Frenchman is a sophisticated drinker while every American is a beer guzzling drunken idiot (or that there aren't any drunken idiots in Europe) - but generally speaking those images are there for a reason. Almost every stereotype has some basis in reality.

Even at 50 years old I still know some old friends that when they drink they go all out (obviously I know plenty of casual drinkers as well). Go out to bars, festivals, sporting events and you'll see plenty of people that are hitting it pretty hard to the point that getting drunk is more important than the rest of the experience, instead of just using alcohol to enhance the experience.

So instead of getting hung up on the generalization, pretend it's called "casual drinkers" (instead of French) and "binge drinkers" (instead of Americans) and ask yourself what should be the correct way to handle alcohol?

It’s interesting to see which stereotypes are allowed and which aren’t.  I find that the people most against stereotyping in principle are often the people most apt to stereotype in practice, but only with stereotypes they view as acceptable.
..and to be fair it also seems that those people that laugh it off when others get offended by some stereotypes get pretty defensive when they feel like part of the group that is being stereotyped.

Not only should we never model ourselves after anything the French do, I'm deducting one Patriotism Point™ from your running total, GB.   :angry:
The French get way more vacation time than we do and take more vacations than we do.  That's something I'd like to see carry over here.  

The French get way more vacation time than we do and take more vacations than we do.  That's something I'd like to see carry over here.  
Minus two Patriotism Points™ for you, good sir.  :angry:

Lots of countries do that.  There was no need to reference the French.

It is nice to be able to "shoo" waiters away four times before ordering drinks (as mentioned in the article), but I'm not sure how well that would fly over here -- both from a customer perspective and a restaurant perspective.  Their business model is built on churning tables.  Restaurants often lose money on people ordering desserts.  If there's a line of people waiting for a table, I tend to feel bad for them if I'm part of a group just sitting around chatting.

It is nice to be able to "shoo" waiters away four times before ordering drinks (as mentioned in the article), but I'm not sure how well that would fly over here -- both from a customer perspective and a restaurant perspective.  Their business model is built on churning tables.  Restaurants often lose money on people ordering desserts.  If there's a line of people waiting for a table, I tend to feel bad for them if I'm part of a group just sitting around chatting.
All this time, I thought I was doing the business a favor on the the occasions that I do order dessert and decide to splurge.  I typically pass as I'd rather not pay $10 for just an ok dessert which I find most desserts to be.   I'll skip it from now on.  

Users who are viewing this thread