What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NC State Basketball LOL (1 Viewer)

We had a 53 page thread on one of those schools that many of the State fans enjoyed participating in.  It goes on everywhere, the only question is if/how the beans get spilled.
Yep, I am not sure if it can be cleaned up or if there is even a solution but I would like to see them change the model or whatever even if its at the expense of my school.   The situation that is in place now is totally unsustainable and needs to be figured out.

Yep, I am not sure if it can be cleaned up or if there is even a solution but I would like to see them change the model or whatever even if its at the expense of my school.   The situation that is in place now is totally unsustainable and needs to be figured out.
When peoples jobs and food for their family depend on Ws, they are going to do whatever they can to deliver Ws.

I’ll beat the same dead horse I’ve been beating for years to say again these problems and many more would be solved if we disassociated sports from educational institutions as it is in the entire rest of the world. Colleges can have intramural sports and the ncaa would be a superfluous organization. Basketball, volleyball, soccer and several others are already moving in this direction at the high school level as club teams dominate over school teams as the destination of choice for top talent.  Many top soccer players turn down scholarships in favor of pro contracts and basketball would be the same but for arcane rules which should have been declared illegal long ago.  

Gott was a slimeball POS. Of all the great things Debbie Yow did at the University that is the one black mark.

That said, college athletics is bull####. I have no doubt that Gott did this without the knowledge of the university, yet who will pay the price? The NCAA protects it's money interests, and NC State is not one. Whatever.

It goes on everywhere, the only question is if/how the beans get spilled.
it's a matter of who got rubbed the wrong way to the point that they decided to snitch

who didn't get their cut, their promise fulfilled, their new job/title/promotion as a result of their role in the "scandal".

who misjudged their leverage/over-played their hand and found out the hard way that they weren't in control.

In detailing NC State’s alleged infractions, the NCAA specifies numerous aggravating factors. They include that the NCAA enforcement staff, rather than NC State’s compliance department, identified many of the violations. If a school identifies and reports a violation to the NCAA, the NCAA is usually more forgiving than if the NCAA discovers it first.

Here, the NCAA claims that while NC State reported Level III violations (which are mere “breaches of conduct” and provided NC State only minimal advantages over other schools), the university failed to report Level I and II violations.
This is ridiculous. NC State didn't report the Level I violations that it took a comprehensive FBI investigation to uncover? Violations that were only discovered because they wiretapped someone? And NC State will be looked upon harsher because they didn't discover/report those? So dumb.

When peoples jobs and food for their family depend on Ws, they are going to do whatever they can to deliver Ws.
Let's not go there. 

Fired D-1 coaches survive just fine dropping down to an assistant job or to a smaller level school.  This stuff is more about ego and greed than simply providing for their family.

You know this is stupid when even a lifelong Tar Heel like me who critized State fans' obsession with taking down the Heels doesn't feel the slightest bit of schadenfreude. 

The amateurism rules are silly, and the idea of punishing players, coaches and fans who have done absolutely nothing wrong is even sillier. Take down Gottfried if you feel the need to hammer someone for failing to abide by your pointless rules, but the current players, coach and program have nothing to do with it and should be left alone.

Gott was a slimeball POS. Of all the great things Debbie Yow did at the University that is the one black mark.

That said, college athletics is bull####. I have no doubt that Gott did this without the knowledge of the university, yet who will pay the price? The NCAA protects it's money interests, and NC State is not one. Whatever.
Sortof, not really.  From the linked article it states that Doyle testified that they had concerns with Gott and some people around him.  So there was definitely some suspicions.  What they could have done who knows but they knew something was up.

You know this is stupid when even a lifelong Tar Heel like me who critized State fans' obsession with taking down the Heels doesn't feel the slightest bit of schadenfreude. 

The amateurism rules are silly, and the idea of punishing players, coaches and fans who have done absolutely nothing wrong is even sillier. Take down Gottfried if you feel the need to hammer someone for failing to abide by your pointless rules, but the current players, coach and program have nothing to do with it and should be left alone.
A post season ban punishment seems like a fair compromise.  NCAA gets to look tough and State isn't really impacted.

Users who are viewing this thread