What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seeking some serious advice about financial aid for college (1 Viewer)

Payne

Footballguy
My oldest daughter has been dating a guy for about 8 months. Really nice kid who has had a pretty rough life.

He just turned 18 a few months back and graduated in June. He has been bounced around from home to home. Mother is homeless and he has no idea where his dad is. He is working just to pay for his phone and I just helped him with getting a new (1990 Cobalt) car so he had better transportation. He treats my daughter well and my wife and I really want to help him succeed, even if they don't end up together. I want this kid to do well.

He tried applying for financial aid for college was denied. He was trying to explain it to me, but it sounds like it has to do with guardianship and something involving his mom and dad signing off on it. His mom will not return his calls and he has zero idea where his dad is. 

First, does anyone understand what he is going through or what he needs to do? And second, how can we help him get what he needs to further his education?

I told him to maybe talk to an attorney, but he literally just paid of his braces and scraped up enough to buy this car. Last thing he can really afford is lawyer fees. Even though that might end up being necessary. 

Just wondering if anyone else has any knowledge of this type of issue. 

Thanks

I really dont have much to offer in way of advice. I assume the issue he is having is due to parent's income being a major factor in financial aid. 

Honestly, he’s going to need to work or go into the military unless he’s done we’ll grade wise. If he had Ivy League smarts he wouldn’t pay a dime, but I don’t think he’s got that from his background (hard to do that with 0 support). No one is going to give him a $30k per year in a loan if he doesn’t get a scholarship from a school. Many jobs at larger companies have continuing education perks so maybe a community college can be paid for or the GI bills help pay for college as well. He’s likely going to have to go a route where he’s making money and going to college part time or after service.

there's a thread about college admissions... doubt it's covered this specific thing, but lot of info in there about financial aid.

Honestly, he’s going to need to work or go into the military unless he’s done we’ll grade wise. If he had Ivy League smarts he wouldn’t pay a dime, but I don’t think he’s got that from his background (hard to do that with 0 support). No one is going to give him a $30k per year in a loan if he doesn’t get a scholarship from a school. Many jobs at larger companies have continuing education perks so maybe a community college can be paid for or the GI bills help pay for college as well. He’s likely going to have to go a route where he’s making money and going to college part time or after service.
I try not to pry, but he has told me he has "good grades". And he is trying to go the community college route due to financial restraints. 

The message he is getting while trying to apply is:

Submit a copy of the court's decision that confirms you are an emancipated minor or are in legal guardianship. 

If 18 (which he is) show paperwork that shows you were emancipated or in legal guardianship when you turned 18.

Fafsa will be his main source for information on federal grants and loans. This will cover his tuition if he is going to a community college and it will also be about another 1800 per semester that he can use on books or parking. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa

Now that he is 18 he should able to fill all of that out and put down that no one claims him as a dependent, I don't believe you need to show emancipation at 18 anymore. He should go to a local community college and talk to the counselors as they can give him insight on how to go about this. Also, most county courts have an office that offers free legal support to assist with filling out forms to file so if he does have to file something then he can utilize them.

Fafsa will be his main source for information on federal grants and loans. This will cover his tuition if he is going to a community college and it will also be about another 1800 per semester that he can use on books or parking. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa

Now that he is 18 he should able to fill all of that out and put down that no one claims him as a dependent, I don't believe you need to show emancipation at 18 anymore. He should go to a local community college and talk to the counselors as they can give him insight on how to go about this. Also, most county courts have an office that offers free legal support to assist with filling out forms to file so if he does have to file something then he can utilize them.
This is the form he is trying to complete.

Thanks for your help! I will pass it on. Just want this kid to have a chance.

Agreed. I'd have him talk to a counselor at the school, and explain his situation. I'd think they'll be able to assist him, if nothing else, on how to fill out his application. 

This is the form he is trying to complete.

Thanks for your help! I will pass it on. Just want this kid to have a chance.
Counselor's have experience with these types of situations, even if the ones at the school he goes to talk to don't have first hand experience they will be able to reach out across their network to someone who has dealt with something like this. He should also go to the financial aid office and talk to them, usually they can help him get everything done.

To be clear, it was the community college counselor who told him he needs these signatures. 

I passed on the suggestion of going to the county court and he was going back to the counselor today to seek more answers.

Thanks everyone. Really do appreciate it.

To be clear, it was the community college counselor who told him he needs these signatures. 

I passed on the suggestion of going to the county court and he was going back to the counselor today to seek more answers.

It's a slow day in the Coast Guard so I did some more digging:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/parent-info#special-circumstances

What if I'm unable to provide parent information due to special circumstances?

In situations such as the ones below, you may be able to submit your FAFSA form without parent information despite being considered a dependent student:

Your parents are incarcerated.

You have left home due to an abusive family environment.

You do not know where your parents are and are unable to contact them (and you have not been adopted).

You are older than 21 but not yet 24, are unaccompanied, and are either homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.

If you are filling out the FAFSA form online or on the myStudentAid app, you will be asked whether you are able to provide information about your parents. If you are not, you will have the option to indicate that you have special circumstances that make you unable to get your parents’ information. You will then be able to submit your application without entering data about your parents.

However, it is important for you to understand the following:

Although your FAFSA form will be submitted, it will not be fully processed. You will not receive an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and must immediately contact the financial aid office at the college or career school you plan to attend.

The financial aid staff may ask for additional information to determine whether you can be considered independent and have an EFC calculated without parent data. Gather as much written evidence of your situation as you can. Written evidence may include court or law enforcement documents; letters from a clergy member, school counselor or social worker; and/or any other relevant data that explains your special circumstance.

The financial aid office’s decision about your dependency status is final and cannot be appealed to the U.S. Department of Education.

Groan - get what you pay for, I guess.

If the kid has clearly articulated the issue with the counselor then the above is not the answer.

I recommend sending him back to the school then demand he speak with someone else. Perhaps go up there with him too, so he doesn't get the runaround.  If mom and dad are out of the picture then there are avenues for him to pursue to get federal aid.  He may not be able to get additional aid year one (I don't remember all of the rules), but once he's cleared all independency hurdles he's eligible for more.  He's gonna have quite the bill to pay once all is said and done though.

your county (or other jurisdiction) should have legal aid services available for free or virtually nothing that can at a minimum give a free consult.  Also, I suspect  that many other lawyers would give a free consult anyway. 

It's a slow day in the Coast Guard so I did some more digging:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/parent-info#special-circumstances

What if I'm unable to provide parent information due to special circumstances?

In situations such as the ones below, you may be able to submit your FAFSA form without parent information despite being considered a dependent student:

Your parents are incarcerated.

You have left home due to an abusive family environment.

You do not know where your parents are and are unable to contact them (and you have not been adopted).

You are older than 21 but not yet 24, are unaccompanied, and are either homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.

If you are filling out the FAFSA form online or on the myStudentAid app, you will be asked whether you are able to provide information about your parents. If you are not, you will have the option to indicate that you have special circumstances that make you unable to get your parents’ information. You will then be able to submit your application without entering data about your parents.

However, it is important for you to understand the following:

Although your FAFSA form will be submitted, it will not be fully processed. You will not receive an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and must immediately contact the financial aid office at the college or career school you plan to attend.

The financial aid staff may ask for additional information to determine whether you can be considered independent and have an EFC calculated without parent data. Gather as much written evidence of your situation as you can. Written evidence may include court or law enforcement documents; letters from a clergy member, school counselor or social worker; and/or any other relevant data that explains your special circumstance.

The financial aid office’s decision about your dependency status is final and cannot be appealed to the U.S. Department of Education.
This is what he found out this morning. "Special circumstances". He needs to provide three letters from teachers, social workers, etc verifying his information.

I've been really having a heart to heart with him and it's been tough. I told him how proud I was and he thanked me and said he's really never heard somebody say that to him. Jesus. 

Just please don't tell us his name is Anakin.

Good luck to all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what he found out this morning. "Special circumstances". He needs to provide three letters from teachers, social workers, etc verifying his information.

I've been really having a heart to heart with him and it's been tough. I told him how proud I was and he thanked me and said he's really never heard somebody say that to him. Jesus. 
No matter what happens kudos to you for trying to help this kid.  :thumbup:

No matter what happens kudos to you for trying to help this kid.  :thumbup:
When my wife and I first found out he was living with another family, we were a little concerned. Obviously wanting to protect our daughter.

But he fought his way through high school. Pays for his own phone. bought his own car. Now jumping through hoops to get into college. He has shown a lot of character and there is something to be said about that. I live in a very nice area. an area where kids get BMW's for their 16th birthday. My wife and I don't have that kind of money, but the point is, this is a kid who has worked hard for everything he has. He understand the value of a dollar. He understands hard work. I think I might like that for my daughter more than some dweeb picking her up in his new Jeep Wrangler. 

Thanks for all your help. Have a good night.

Not schtick... He's automatically "independent" if he gets married and isn't claimed by parents on taxes. Our daughter got married before Sr year of college and her expected family contribution cratered as he was also in school. 2 years later and they just moved to NYC and is attending Columbia for her MSW (I'm bragging about this last part but hey).

Not schtick... He's automatically "independent" if he gets married and isn't claimed by parents on taxes. Our daughter got married before Sr year of college and her expected family contribution cratered as he was also in school. 2 years later and they just moved to NYC and is attending Columbia for her MSW (I'm bragging about this last part but hey).
you had a thread about that, right? 

good for her for taking the leap (and the hubby). :thumbup:  roar, lions roar- wake the echoes round the hudson valley

Community college with payment plan not an option? 

Does he currently work? Maybe find a job that also provides tuition reimbursement.

Users who are viewing this thread