What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody else sick of buying crap from China? (2 Viewers)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
I don't know what tipped the scales for me, perhaps feeling like the American consumer should be the one to stand up to China's bad trade practices rather than waiting for the government to fix things, but at some point over the last couple of months I began avoiding buying stuff from China where I can.  Anyone else feel the same or has been curbing their Chinese purchases recently? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I stupidly fell for two Facebook ads  recently.  Ordered a shirt... looked awesome online.  Took a month to get here, and only delivered after I emailed them 2 weeks after ordering since I never saw any kind of confirmation.  Shirt arrived and it was polyester and too small.  I can return it for a refund but would have to pay shipping.  $25 wasted.

Ordered a cell phone mount too.  Piece of crap falls out of the air vent all the time.  $20 wasted.  

So, definitely done with Facebook ad stuff, which is all from China.  "Normal" purchases that come from China are still OK at this point.

I stupidly fell for two Facebook ads  recently.  Ordered a shirt... looked awesome online.  Took a month to get here, and only delivered after I emailed them 2 weeks after ordering since I never saw any kind of confirmation.  Shirt arrived and it was polyester and too small.  I can return it for a refund but would have to pay shipping.  $25 wasted.

Ordered a cell phone mount too.  Piece of crap falls out of the air vent all the time.  $20 wasted.  

So, definitely done with Facebook ad stuff, which is all from China.  "Normal" purchases that come from China are still OK at this point.
I bought some cheap ski jackets for a trip to Utah from Amazon.  The zipper on both jackets broke within the first couple of uses.  Since the return process on Amazon was easy, we basically got to rent crappy ski jackets for free.   

How long has "free trade" been considered a bad thing?

If you said you were tired of buying so much, or things that fall apart and need to be replaced which fills landfills..... I'd be behind you.

The problem isn't that we are buying too many crappy products from China, we are just buying too many crappy disposable products. China just plays a big role in filling that demand. We deserve the politicians we vote for, and we deserve the products that we buy.

I've seen some of this too. Pretty surprised the don't have a handle on it better. It's a pretty awful customer experience. For a company that normally values customer experience.

I ordered several pieces of clothing from a Chinese manufacturer on ebay. First, the order got "lost" in shipping. Twice. Then when they finally did arrive, only one of ten items was correct. Several were totally wrong and others were the right item in the wrong size or wrong color. When I tried to return them, I got several correspondences from them asking me to just accept the items. Then they offered a couple of bucks if I would accept the items. They didn't want to replace the items because the cost of shipping them twice cut into their profits too much. WTF? All of the mistakes were theirs. Eventually, ebay made it right but I'll never do that again.

I've seen some of this too. Pretty surprised the don't have a handle on it better. It's a pretty awful customer experience. For a company that normally values customer experience.
Really? See, I think Facebook couldn't care less about the users. They repeatedly have lied to users about how data is used, what they share and with who, how much data they collect, etc. They have hired actual psychologists to help figure out how to design their site to keep people addicted and on the site longer. Zuckerberg famously is quoted as laughing about how dumb people are for willingly giving him all the information they give him.

Facebook only cares about their bottom line, no matter how hard they try to spin it otherwise. If that means collecting way more data on you than you think you allowed, they'll do it. If it means collecting data on people who don't even have account and have not given them permission, they do it. If it means selling that information to Shady people and companies, including foreign entities looking to lie and disrupt elections, they'll do it. And if it means allowing crappy Chinese companies to constantly lie to US consumers and sell them obviously inferior products to what they're advertising, they'll do it in a blink of an eye.

I don't think I've ever inquired about where a product came from before buying it.   
You hit a big issue there.

I care VERY much and consider it with most everything I buy. I will always try to buy something American made. I still obviously buy tons of stuff not made in America. But given the choice, I'll pay more for an American made item of equal quality.

The question though becomes "how much more?"

Because there are obviously a ton of people like @NutterButter who do not care about this. 

It's an interesting question I believe. 

Facebook has issues. But creating a good experience for their customers isn't one in my opinion. 

I think their traffic bears that out. 
At this point everyone is using Facebook because everyone is using Facebook.

In terms of user experience I don't know many that use Facebook that aren't consistently frustrated by the Facebook experience.  They literally prevent people from seeing content they want to see so they can charge the content creators to get the content in front of the people that want to see it.

If you want to go "scoreboard!" regarding traffic then I guess you'd equally consider Jersey Shore as having better writing than The Wire because "ratings!".

In terms of user experience I don't know many that use Facebook that aren't consistently frustrated by the Facebook experience.  They literally prevent people from seeing content they want to see so they can charge the content creators to get the content in front of the people that want to see it.

If you want to go "scoreboard!" regarding traffic then I guess you'd equally consider Jersey Shore as having better writing than The Wire because "ratings!".
This.  

People are addicted to heroin.  How many of them would you say keep using because it's a good experience? 

How long has "free trade" been considered a bad thing?

If you said you were tired of buying so much, or things that fall apart and need to be replaced which fills landfills..... I'd be behind you.

The problem isn't that we are buying too many crappy products from China, we are just buying too many crappy disposable products. China just plays a big role in filling that demand. We deserve the politicians we vote for, and we deserve the products that we buy.
Who said anything about free trade being a bad thing?

You hit a big issue there.

I care VERY much and consider it with most everything I buy. I will always try to buy something American made. I still obviously buy tons of stuff not made in America. But given the choice, I'll pay more for an American made item of equal quality.

The question though becomes "how much more?"

Because there are obviously a ton of people like @NutterButter who do not care about this. 

It's an interesting question I believe. 
The only thing I'd care about to justify paying more is if there were steps taken to minimize environmental impact.   But how do you even know that?   I have little trust in general with companies when it comes to protecting the environment regardless of where in the world that company is located.    I'd personally rather just save a few bucks with the products I by and use that money saved to support organizations that directly tackle the issues that I care about rather than being fooled by some company claiming to be something they're not.   

I buy stuff online but not clothes. Even if I can't try it on, I want to see the thing and check stuff like the zippers and the feel of the fabric.
that's another reason amazon is so great.   they allow you to return clothes for free so if i'm looking for some new shorts for instance,  i'll just order like 10 different pairs with the intention of keeping one or two at the most.  

Joe Bryant said:
I think the customer experience part of it is that if for any reason you are dissatisfied with a purchase -- not just one sold by Amazon but even one sold by a third party vendor that has no affiliation with Amazon -- the company goes out of its way (and even will absorb cost) to make it right by their generous refund/return policy.

Anecdotes like @Captain Cranks and the below that seem to be the norm of a customer's experience on Amazon that bears this out:

NutterButter said:
that's another reason amazon is so great.   they allow you to return clothes for free so if i'm looking for some new shorts for instance,  i'll just order like 10 different pairs with the intention of keeping one or two at the most.  
Agree there is likely more Amazon can do to help reduce the number of what people might consider "shoddy" goods in their own warehouses. But you can only feasibly police at scale so far up the supply chain (especially when third parties are only using Amazon for order/invoicing and not using them to hold inventory). It's much easier and scalable to help the end customer experience by allowing returns for dissatisfied customers without hassles. And I think Amazon holds vendors to a high standard and removes their ability to sell if they aren't hitting high customer satisfaction and other metrics (shipping times, etc.).

As an aside, I never understood the fervor of "buy American" / "avoid all Chinese goods" -- you can likely find similar goods made in America that will be more expensive, but simply buying American doesn't ensure quality. You can avoid buying goods from China, but there are a lot of other countries churning out lower quality products at lower cost thanks to savings on cost of labor, etc.

Seems more accurate to say I'd rather pay more for quality (regardless of where it's made) than pay for cheaper goods of low quality (regardless of where they are made). Anything else seems to add a political element that is a little tangential. 

Captain Cranks said:
Who said anything about free trade being a bad thing?
Did you read the rest of the post? The problem isn't the crappy products that you used to buy from China are somehow inherently crappy because you bought them from China. The problem is you were seeking out products at a price point that they would ultimately end up being a crappy product. The way free trade works is someone(whether it's China, or India, or Vietnam, or Malaysia..... etc) has the ability to get that product in your hands at a lower price point. Chinese people do not make products that are any worse than anyone else. Up until very recently the Chinese were making the vast majority of apple products for instance and most people don't think they are especially crappy.

If you are stating that you have personally decided to be more thoughtful about what you purchase and only buy higher quality products that you intend to own and use for a much longer period of time.... I for one applaud you. That's the bottom line.

Did you read the rest of the post? The problem isn't the crappy products that you used to buy from China are somehow inherently crappy because you bought them from China. The problem is you were seeking out products at a price point that they would ultimately end up being a crappy product. The way free trade works is someone(whether it's China, or India, or Vietnam, or Malaysia..... etc) has the ability to get that product in your hands at a lower price point. Chinese people do not make products that are any worse than anyone else. Up until very recently the Chinese were making the vast majority of apple products for instance and most people don't think they are especially crappy.

If you are stating that you have personally decided to be more thoughtful about what you purchase and only buy higher quality products that you intend to own and use for a much longer period of time.... I for one applaud you. That's the bottom line.
I think you need to go reread my OP.  That might help you understand why I'm trying to curb my purchases of Chinese products.   

Joe Bryant said:
Facebook has issues. But creating a good experience for their customers isn't one in my opinion. 

I think their traffic bears that out. 
They just got hit with a record $5B fine for mishandling user data, a fine that many believe was still a slap on the wrist. 

They just got hit with a record $5B fine for mishandling user data, a fine that many believe was still a slap on the wrist. 
Joe's assertion gave me total pause and I usually grant wide berth because different people have different time commitments to sit and pore over hours of material. 

Facebook is not user-friendly, nor do they seem to strive to make the customer experience a really good one. 

And Amazon's Chinese shirts are a joke. I told them I was hesitating to buy rock t-shirts from them because of it. I got hassles returning small, polyester clothing that should have been regular fit and cotton.

Oof. 

I don't know what tipped the scales for me, perhaps feeling like the American consumer should be the one to stand up to China's bad trade practices rather than waiting for the government to fix things, but at some point over the last couple of months I began avoiding buying stuff from China where I can.  Anyone else feel the same or has been curbing their Chinese purchases recently? 
I think you’re right, but it’s not easy to do given how imbedded they are into everything we consume and the ease/cost of comparing origin when making a decision.

GroveDiesel said:
Really? See, I think Facebook couldn't care less about the users. They repeatedly have lied to users about how data is used, what they share and with who, how much data they collect, etc. They have hired actual psychologists to help figure out how to design their site to keep people addicted and on the site longer. Zuckerberg famously is quoted as laughing about how dumb people are for willingly giving him all the information they give him.

Facebook only cares about their bottom line, no matter how hard they try to spin it otherwise. If that means collecting way more data on you than you think you allowed, they'll do it. If it means collecting data on people who don't even have account and have not given them permission, they do it. If it means selling that information to Shady people and companies, including foreign entities looking to lie and disrupt elections, they'll do it. And if it means allowing crappy Chinese companies to constantly lie to US consumers and sell them obviously inferior products to what they're advertising, they'll do it in a blink of an eye.
Yup. For customer experience among the big companies, Amazon is actually walking the talk. The rest, not so much.

ETA: Per recent reporting: Amazon is not so hot for employee satisfaction, so there is that

IMHO, you may be buying too many disposable/crap products and that is the issue rather than China or Vietnam (perhaps Mozambique or Nigeria in the future).

That said China makes 100% of all Apple products, and a hell of a lot of HP, Sony, XBox(?) and other high end products. So clearly it's not all crap.

Their approach to IP is atrocious that we agree on, the reason is likely that they need to leapfrog other countries to secure the growth and prosperity in their own. Not an "excuse", an explanation.

FreeBaGeL said:

Thanks. We can just disagree on this. All good. 

Way more interested in the products from China discussion. Hope we can get back to that. 

As an aside, I never understood the fervor of "buy American" / "avoid all Chinese goods" -- you can likely find similar goods made in America that will be more expensive, but simply buying American doesn't ensure quality. You can avoid buying goods from China, but there are a lot of other countries churning out lower quality products at lower cost thanks to savings on cost of labor, etc.

Seems more accurate to say I'd rather pay more for quality (regardless of where it's made) than pay for cheaper goods of low quality (regardless of where they are made). Anything else seems to add a political element that is a little tangential. 
This. Although, per supply/demand 101 the more expensive, shoddy products should not be exist long term (but they may thanks to a "buy American" bias" among American customers)

Joe's assertion gave me total pause and I usually grant wide berth because different people have different time commitments to sit and pore over hours of material. 

Facebook is not user-friendly, nor do they seem to strive to make the customer experience a really good one. 
Oh man.

Is it cold in Hell today? I agree with @rockaction on something....

;)  

IMHO, you may be buying too many disposable/crap products and that is the issue rather than China or Vietnam (perhaps Mozambique or Nigeria in the future).

That said China makes 100% of all Apple products, and a hell of a lot of HP, Sony, XBox(?) and other high end products. So clearly it's not all crap.

Their approach to IP is atrocious that we agree on, the reason is likely that they need to leapfrog other countries to secure the growth and prosperity in their own. Not an "excuse", an explanation.
Again, this isn't about the quality of the products for me.  As I said in my OP, I don't know what tipped the scales.  It's likely getting sick of hearing how Trump is going to save the day and fix China's corrupt trade practices when, in reality, the American consumer has the power to do the fixing.  

I think you and Boltbacker may be fixated on my use of the word "crap" and disregarding that this is actually about standing up for the free market by taking my business elsewhere ( in instances where it's somewhat easy and not of significant cost). 

I'll give a quick example.  My son wanted a Stratocaster guitar for his birthday.  He didn't care if it was Squier or Fender.  I could have saved myself $200 by going with the cheaper yet decently rated Squier.  I went with the Made in Mexico Fender.  Sure, there's a quality difference between the two, but if the Squier was made in Vietnam I likely purchase that instead.

Again, this isn't about the quality of the products for me.  As I said in my OP, I don't know what tipped the scales.  It's likely getting sick of hearing how Trump is going to save the day and fix China's corrupt trade practices when, in reality, the American consumer has the power to do the fixing.  

I think you and Boltbacker may be fixated on my use of the word "crap" and disregarding that this is actually about standing up for the free market by taking my business elsewhere ( in instances where it's somewhat easy and not of significant cost). 

I'll give a quick example.  My son wanted a Stratocaster guitar for his birthday.  He didn't care if it was Squier or Fender.  I could have saved myself $200 by going with the cheaper yet decently rated Squier.  I went with the Made in Mexico Fender.  Sure, there's a quality difference between the two, but if the Squier was made in Vietnam I likely purchase that instead.
Fair enough. I fixated on the crap thing instead of the China thing.

I dunno if Vietnam or similar countries don't do the same as CHina has and continues to do. (In all fairness,  stealing IP by a manufacturer seems easy, no?). Maybe in China it's more organized (again, per my previous post you may have read by now) it's IMHO a feature, not a bug (per the Chinese).

At present I'm not really looking at origin when I buy things. But then I don't really buy a lot of "things" right now. I'm mostly set, might move on some more brewing related stuff when I get to own a place again, hopefully later this year, but that'll mainly be for temperature control (I digress) 

This is exactly right. There's a lot of high quality consumer goods that are made in China with Chinese components.  Some factories are excellent, well run, very professional with good quality control. Others produce junk.

Brands aren't just meaningless branding exercises. Often a brand with a good quality history can make things all over the world with little effect on overall product quality.  Also, a poorly run manufacturing organization without a strong quality system can make inferior product in a western country.

Products advertised on fb look awesome but are crap, not as pictured, etc. Never again. I only purchase online from reputable companies. 

I do shop in the asian stores for some things. Can't beat the price. I don't look where something's made. If I like it and the price makes sense I buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread