What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

50th anniversary of man walking on the Moon: July 20, 2019 (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

July 20th will be the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong walking on the moon.

I can't think of another anniversary in my lifetime that I've been more excited about. I wasn't born yet at the time of the moon landing, and so grew up in a world where the moon had already been reached. But I think in the grand scheme of things it is one of the great milestones in human history, and the more I've learned about the events, the more impressed I am by what was accomplished.

I can't think of another anniversary in my lifetime that I've been more excited about. I wasn't born yet at the time of the moon landing, and so grew up in a world where the moon had already been reached. But I think in the grand scheme of things it is one of the great milestones in human history, and the more I've learned about the events, the more impressed I am by what was accomplished.
I'm excited about it too.

I was elementary school age at the time so I have pretty good memories of around Apollo 8 and on.

I've been watching a lot of Space Race documentaries on the Smithsonian Channel, History Channel, etc. There's a couple of good ones on Netflix too....Last Man on the Moon (about Gene Cernan) and Mission Control.

I was in Ireland for the moon landing. A trust from the relative who sponsored our family to America allowed me to go every summer of my minority. I remember the first week i was there that year, everybody who heard my Yank accent was condoling me on the latest Kennedy tragedy (Teddy dumping his secretary in the drink) and the 2nd wk they were treating me like i'd gone to the moon meself.

Of course, the moonwalk occurred in the wee hours of the morning there and the party lager made staying up til 3am a chore for a 15yo. Funniest detail was that the council flat in Dun Laoghaire where i stayed w relatives was rented from the govt, the TV included. 7 pound a yr and you got it serviced anytime you wanted. Me Uncle Andy had a bloke over to make sure everything was ok for the occasion and his Da started his telling stories about being @ the Post Office during the Troubles (boring to us but fresh to a stranger, i guess) and it connected w the repairman's background and soon enough he stayed for supper, then festivities and ended up being there for the landing.

Last edited by a moderator:
50 years ago today.

At 1:46 p.m., the lunar module Eagle, manned by Armstrong and Aldrin, separated from the command module, where Collins remained. Two hours later, the Eagle began its descent to the lunar surface, and at 4:17 p.m. the craft touched down on the southwestern edge of the Sea of Tranquility. Armstrong immediately radioed to Mission Control in Houston, Texas, a now-famous message: "The Eagle has landed."

At 10:39 p.m., five hours ahead of the original schedule, Armstrong opened the hatch of the lunar module. As he made his way down the module's ladder, a television camera attached to the craft recorded his progress and beamed the signal back to Earth, where hundreds of millions watched in great anticipation. 

At 10:56 p.m., as Armstrong stepped off the ladder and planted his foot on the moon’s powdery surface, he spoke his famous quote, which he later contended was slightly garbled by his microphone and meant to be "that's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

https://www.history.com/topics/space-exploration/moon-landing-1969

50 years ago today.

At 1:46 p.m., the lunar module Eagle, manned by Armstrong and Aldrin, separated from the command module, where Collins remained. Two hours later, the Eagle began its descent to the lunar surface, and at 4:17 p.m. the craft touched down on the southwestern edge of the Sea of Tranquility. Armstrong immediately radioed to Mission Control in Houston, Texas, a now-famous message: "The Eagle has landed."

At 10:39 p.m., five hours ahead of the original schedule, Armstrong opened the hatch of the lunar module. As he made his way down the module's ladder, a television camera attached to the craft recorded his progress and beamed the signal back to Earth, where hundreds of millions watched in great anticipation. 

At 10:56 p.m., as Armstrong stepped off the ladder and planted his foot on the moon’s powdery surface, he spoke his famous quote, which he later contended was slightly garbled by his microphone and meant to be "that's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

https://www.history.com/topics/space-exploration/moon-landing-1969
For some reason, I always thought it was later in the day (I was on the East Coast).

I remember when Eagle landed, but it was night in my memory. I do recall that my parents woke me up to watch Armstrong walk down to the lunar surface.

I was 7 years old. My friends and I thought Mars was just around the corner.

I have no memory of watching this. Which is weird because I remember events from 1967 and 1968 (born in '62.)

I do remember watching Apollo launches in school but without looking it up couldn't say which mission it was. I also don't remember Apollo 13 (but do remember race riots, MLK, RFK and Mai Lai.)

My mother always tells the story with laughter on top of bitterness, how she missed watching the moon landing. Everyone else on the planet got to see it, except her, I guess.

She was almost 20 at the time, living in the US, but went back to the Old Country that summer with her father (my grandfather) to visit relatives back in Italy. Mostly her mother's (my grandmother's) side was still living in this tiny little farming village. My grandfather, who'd worked construction when he immigrated to the US, was going to install a bathroom in his father-in-law's house (my great-grandfather). My mother was there to help, as he had no sons. 

So my mother spent the month working on indoor plumbing. It was a huge deal in that little village, they were the first house to get a toilet inside, no outhouse or chamber pots anymore. There was no television, I don't think there was even electricity in some of the homes. But word spread. And that weekend, history was made. People came from all over the village, and miles around, and lined up to walk through the house and watch the toilet flush. July 20, 1969: the day some little Italian village got their first toilet. It was the big news of the day there.
Well at least there was no question about the flushing toilet being fake.

Users who are viewing this thread