What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

85 degree days, 60 degree nights, no humidity... (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Yeah, we have earthquakes, homes sliding into the ocean, hideous state taxes, the highest gas taxes in the nation, a bunch of liberals - still Southern California is awesome.  Tonight I was sitting on the patio of a phenomenal Mexican restaurant (I mean real, not the kind found in 40+ of the 50 states) having a great margarita.  Looked around and soaked it in.  Crisp, cool.  Not a bead of sweat.  Not a mosquito in sight or touch.  No need for a meshed net around me.  Not a raindrop headed our way for 3 months.  Pretty sure I'll stay.  Some tequila talkin', but pretty sure I'm stayin'.

Yeah, we have earthquakes, homes sliding into the ocean, hideous state taxes, the highest gas taxes in the nation, a bunch of liberals - still Southern California is awesome.  Tonight I was sitting on the patio of a phenomenal Mexican restaurant (I mean real, not the kind found in 40+ of the 50 states) having a great margarita.  Looked around and soaked it in.  Crisp, cool.  Not a bead of sweat.  Not a mosquito in sight or touch.  No need for a meshed net around me.  Not a raindrop headed our way for 3 months.  Pretty sure I'll stay.  Some tequila talkin', but pretty sure I'm stayin'.
You sound like my uncle who lives in New Orleans: "Why do you want to live in PA and have to shovel snow in the winter?"

Earthquakes? No.
Droughts causing huge fires? No.
Rains causing houses to slide down hills because the fires have burned away the cover? No.
Floods? No.
Hurricanes? No.
Tornados? No.
Mosquitos? Boy, I'd better move because lighting those citronella candles is way too much effort.

The rest sounds awesome. This one not so much.
The Metropolitan Water District of Souther California and USC have a joint research partnership studying the impacts of electrolytes on plant growth.  They think it could cut water usage back as much as 50%.  Apparently it’s like totally got what plants crave.

was my great pleasure to do biz in the S.D. vicinity circa late 80s, early 90s ... LaJolla was divine - as was my hookup out there, typical Cali beaut by the name of Dee Dee (from El Cajon) ... tanned and blonde to the Nth - of course, the day i flew in it was overcast and damp - pilot made a point of telling us just how atypical a day we were flying into - dunno exactly what qualifies as "God's Country", but that area is certainly in the top tier, if not the top. 

ps- would be remiss if i didn't mention the highlight of the trip: we took the trolley to "TJ", where i was arrested shortly after arrival for hocking a ginormous lugie whilst semi urinating ... GRINGO BASTA! 🎺

was my great pleasure to do biz in the S.D. vicinity circa late 80s, early 90s ... LaJolla was divine - as was my hookup out there, typical Cali beaut by the name of Dee Dee (from El Cajon) ... tanned and blonde to the Nth - of course, the day i flew in it was overcast and damp - pilot made a point of telling us just how atypical a day we were flying into - dunno exactly what qualifies as "God's Country", but that area is certainly in the top tier, if not the top. 

ps- would be remiss if i didn't mention the highlight of the trip: we took the trolley to "TJ", where i was arrested shortly after arrival for hocking a ginormous lugie whilst semi urinating ... GRINGO BASTA! 🎺
You were in the right area with the right woman doing the right thing. Circumstance plotted against you.

Cheers!

cheers!  i work in laguna beach.  things could be worse.

The Metropolitan Water District of Souther California and USC have a joint research partnership studying the impacts of electrolytes on plant growth.  They think it could cut water usage back as much as 50%.  Apparently it’s like totally got what plants crave.
So water the plants with Gatorade? 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Meh. Crime, smog, traffic, high costs. 

I like Kansas just fine. Sleeper state. Nature galore, hunting, fishing, great people,. low costs, low crime, plenty of cuture available if you know where to look. 2.75 STRONG drinks at my local bar. Four actual seasons. I can be in the middle of knowhere 10 minutes from my house. 

I go to places like the Denver metro area and find it horrifying. Can't stand the place. 

I think our state mottoe should be "Kansas, It's boring don't come here."

Meh. Crime, smog, traffic, high costs. 

I like Kansas just fine. Sleeper state. Nature galore, hunting, fishing, great people,. low costs, low crime, plenty of cuture available if you know where to look. 2.75 STRONG drinks at my local bar. Four actual seasons. I can be in the middle of knowhere 10 minutes from my house. 

I go to places like the Denver metro area and find it horrifying. Can't stand the place. 

I think our state mottoe should be "Kansas, It's boring don't come here."
 I think you're safe

Wife and I were at the Hollywood Bowl last night celebrating our anniversary. It was a glorious evening. She's a transplant from the east coast and often goes on diatribes (usually when the cost of something here seems inordinately higher than how she remembered a thing like that costing back east) about how she just doesn't get what's so great about southern california. Last night was one that went into the "get it" column.

I love the West Coast. Portland is one of my favorite cities. As is San Diego. Going to be in California later this month. 

I also love the East Coast. Going to be in New York next week. 

I love the Southwest and Texas where I grew up.

Was in Colorado and Idaho earlier this year and it's incredible.

And I love the Southeast where I live now. 

I'm not trying to be all inclusive. But it's a pretty rad country. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the West Coast. Portland is one of my favorite cities. As is San Diego. Going to be in California later this month. 

I note you left out Nebraska, Kansas and Iowa. ;)

Sounds like my HS days..... except a beauty from El Cajon.  Beaches and North County were the best places.  And of course the trips to TJ.

cheers!  i work in laguna beach.  things could be worse.
You could work in Orange near Angel Stadium.  Worse, but not bad at all.

where ya headed in CA?

The traffic and cost of living would by my only real strikes against it.  I'm sure you get used to the traffic eventually, but it would be hard for me not to murder someone before I was acclimated. 

It is a beautiful area with beautiful people though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your ranking the states like you rank wide receivers what's your top 5 and what state ranks #50?
That's a fantastic question. Not sure I can do it. 

Some of it's unfair as size is so different. California or Texas is like saying Washington/Oregon/Idaho/Montana and more for sheer size and geography. Texas could be like saying Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia and Tennessee. 

I'm not sure I could rank them. 

I'd have to have Texas and Tennessee up there as they're my home. And I feel like I'd be crazy not to have California, Oregon and New York on there. But that's a tough one. Good question, GB. 

gianmarco said:
There's no mosquitoes in California?  How and why is that possible?

huthut said:
There are definitely mosquitoes in California, just not an overwhelming amount compared to some other places. 

Edit: Could not find anything detailed, but apparently nothing in CA is ranked too high in mosquito density, probably too dry.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/top-worst-mosquito-cities-in-u/47845102

CGRdrJoe said:
There are definitely mosquitos here.

desert, elevated, evergreen forest and mountains make up most of the state.  none of which are conducive to mosquitos.  they're thick in places, but nothing compared to anywhere humid.

General Malaise said:
If your ranking the states like you rank wide receivers what's your top 5 and what state ranks #50?
There’s only like 10 decent states in which to live: all the West Coast, most of the Rockies, North Carolina and Hawai’i.

The worst is probably Mississippi, though the Midwest and Plains states are uniformly sucky.

Today was just beautiful, even inland. You get your like, Cali King. 

What would be better than mediterranean climate, except mediterranean climate in the mediterranean without the earthquakes?

There’s only like 10 decent states in which to live: all the West Coast, most of the Rockies, North Carolina and Hawai’i.

The worst is probably Mississippi, though the Midwest and Plains states are uniformly sucky.
North Carolina is miserable this time of year anywhere but the mountains and the coast. 

Users who are viewing this thread