What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"I was like...and I said I'm all...and I'm like" (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Do these people know how stupid this sounds? Personally and professionally? A whole generation has lost the ability to speak.  Want a fun drinking game? Watch Love Island.  Shot for every time one of the contestants says "like".  Frank Gallagher wouldn't last.

Do these people know how stupid this sounds? Personally and professionally? A whole generation has lost the ability to speak.  Want a fun drinking game? Watch Love Island.  Shot for every time one of the contestants says "like".  Frank Gallagher wouldn't last.
When my daughter was around 10 or 11 she had a base case of the likes.   Her older brother started to make a toot sound every time she would tell a story.  It was pretty funny and it actually helped her get over it. 

Like is the just the new um....OK, not exactly new anymore.  Its a crutch word. Annoying once you start looking for it.

These days I hear a lot of teen starting sentences with "wait". 

We have a young lady (mid 20's) in our company who is absolutely stunning.  10 on 10 scale.  Until she opens her mouth.  She has a bad case of the "likes".  There are some in management who want her to move up in the company, and she has done so a little bit.  It's not for her public speaking ability, I can assure you of that.  We have morning meetings where most people talk, and it's horrible hearing her speak.  Good thing she is indeed eye candy for the old fogies, or she wouldn't be going anywhere.

Um

Wait

True

Right

All words I have come to hate because of how young people speak.

Friends of ours daughter is apparently on that show, btw. I watched a couple minutes to see if she was there and for the sake of my sanity, mood and hope for humanity, had to stop. 

It may just be a mechanism for that person to get their thoughts in order.

My wife is Chinese and she always use to say, "nega nega nega".  I asked her what nega meant and she said it didn't really mean anything.  It was the Chinese version of uhmm.  Just a filler.  This may the the nega of millennials. haha

I'm not sure if this is a new trend, or if it never really stopped. 

Maybe it's because I grew up in SoCal in the 80s, but the "Valley girl talk" was hip way back then and that's how they talked..  "I was like... and she was like.. and he's like so hot...".  It's when acting and talking stupid became cool.  I knew a lot of real-life Specolis too, couldn't start a sentence without "Dude."

Pretty innocent when you think about it, but also hard not to cringe sometimes.

Yeah, the Dude-Bro from San Diego had a serious case of the “likes” last night. Maddening. 

"Like" is bad, but "literally" is quickly approaching.  I like have to tell my daughter like literally a billion times a day she's not literally going to die because of what her coworker did.     
I think the "literally" thing was overblown by everyone wanting to sound smart on the internet.  It's not that big of a deal.

You can say, "Aw, man.  I'm so hungry I could eat a horse."  And that's cool.  But if you say, "Aw, man.  I'm so hungry I could literally eat a horse", somehow you've crossed the line of acceptable?  It's just people adding more umph to their exaggerations.  I don't understand why everyone wants to take it so literal.  "I can look past the part where you said you could eat a horse.  That makes sense.  But when you said 'literally', that was a bridge too far, my friend.  Literally, a bridge too far.  :angry: "

It literally makes me mad enough to kill someone.

It’s even worse when they type it.

When you see the idiocy come out on a page your instinct should be to correct it.

It may just be a mechanism for that person to get their thoughts in order.

My wife is Chinese and she always use to say, "nega nega nega".  I asked her what nega meant and she said it didn't really mean anything.  It was the Chinese version of uhmm.  Just a filler.  This may the the nega of millennials. haha
Randomly throwing “nega nega nega” into your conversations seems like it could be particularly problematic.

I think the "literally" thing was overblown by everyone wanting to sound smart on the internet.  It's not that big of a deal.

You can say, "Aw, man.  I'm so hungry I could eat a horse."  And that's cool.  But if you say, "Aw, man.  I'm so hungry I could literally eat a horse", somehow you've crossed the line of acceptable?  It's just people adding more umph to their exaggerations.  I don't understand why everyone wants to take it so literal.  "I can look past the part where you said you could eat a horse.  That makes sense.  But when you said 'literally', that was a bridge too far, my friend.  Literally, a bridge too far.  :angry: "

It's because one is correctly used hyperbole and the other is...stupid. If you're not part of the solution to this, you're part of the problem.

It's literally mind blowing that people don't understand this.

Good day, sir.

It's because one is correctly used hyperbole and the other is...stupid. If you're not part of the solution to this, you're part of the problem.

It's literally mind blowing that people don't understand this.

Good day, sir.
Again, I understand it.  I think it's you who doesn't understand this.  People understand what "literally" means.  They are not confusing it's meaning.  They are adding it to add to the hyperbole.  If anyone doesn't understand it, it's people like you who get mad about it.

Again, I understand it.  I think it's you who doesn't understand this.  People understand what "literally" means.  They are not confusing it's meaning.  They are adding it to add to the hyperbole.  If anyone doesn't understand it, it's people like you who get mad about it.
First they came for the adverbs, but I didn't care for the adverbs. Then they came for the pronouns, but I didn't care for the pronouns...

https://images.app.goo.gl/5YDTMQuRz3sEU4ab6

Last edited by a moderator:
they're all useful identifiers to me - i do not like to waste time knowing who i'm dealing with - but i'll happily indulge all of it were it to make upspeakers fall off their flat earth

I think you're understating the issue.  I understand how someone can say, "I could literally eat a horse."  I give that a pass as it's used as a point of exaggeration.  What I don't give a pass to is, "I'm literally on pins and needles."  No.  You're not literally on pins and needles.  You're not even close to any pins and needles.  ST#U.  

Maybe it's because I grew up in SoCal in the 80s, but the "Valley girl talk" was hip way back then and that's how they talked..  "I was like... and she was like.. and he's like so hot...".  It's when acting and talking stupid became cool.  I knew a lot of real-life Specolis too, couldn't start a sentence without "Dude."

don't think it's that innocent in a business setting.  I believe this use of language puts lower ceilings on careers

Randomly throwing “nega nega nega” into your conversations seems like it could be particularly problematic.
I prefer to Yada Yada Yada....
(damn Leroy beat me to it)

As for the OP, this isn't new but it seems to be getting worse, or maybe just more noticeable and these types get more publicity.  I have a co-worker who can't complete a sentence before starting another.  That's more annoying then throwing in "like" or "uh".  Sometimes the brain needs to catch up with the mouth.  But I agree some of these people can't seem to string more then 3 words together without a "like" in there.

People use different filler words as they get older, it rarely lasts forever unless they never leave the same bubble. I don't think I ever had a "like" phase, the dude equivalent is more often "um". As I got older I started just speaking more slowly and shifting eye contact between people if among a group. Speaking more slowly and confidently certainly keeps people more engaged with what you're actually saying, unless you're the type to never shut up. And it helps you gather your thoughts as you go. Slowing down a bit is probably the best way to kill the "likes" and "um's" but it's not something you can just change in a day.

Whoever said that young people have made him hate words like "true", "right", etc. that actually hit home. I hear that a lot among my age group (just turned 30). As I've gotten older I've consciously started eliminating filler affirmatives like that as people are telling a story, giving instructions, etc. I find that good eye contact and affirmative head nods at the appropriate time are a much better indication of "I'm listening, go on" or "good point" which is what I think most people are trying to convey with the words that are annoying you. 

Personally I think it's a spill-over (for young people) from growing up IMing, texting, Facebook messaging etc. You get used to acknowledging each separate point someone makes as the conversation moves quickly, you don't just sit and wait until paragraphs of text are finished and then respond to it all. You affirm or acknowledge things as you go, sometimes sentence by sentence. Idk, just a theory

don't think it's that innocent in a business setting.  I believe this use of language puts lower ceilings on careers
I've told this story before here... 

architecture grad school at a top 3 school c'94- my studio (about 15 people) are individually presenting our projects to a jury of esteemed, world-known architects (called a jury... which only just now comes across as way too ominous). 

my gb, and very talented dude from georgia is presenting his (kick ### project, IIRC). he was prone to "you knows", "likes" and "ums" which was exacerbated by having gotten less than a full night's sleep total over the previous week, and from being nervous standing up and presenting in front a bunch of industry big-shots.

he finishes, and there's a moment of silence while the jury organizes it's thoughts and politely sees who's commenting first.

robert stern leans in and says "like. um. you know. like. um. you know... ARE YOU ####### DONE?!". it went downhill quickly after that.

my gb is doing really well for himself with a nice little firm here in NYC. he has survived the like um you knows

"And then she goes.....and then I'm like....and then he goes".....

When did "goes" become an acceptable replacement for "says"?
Same time that "all" also became an acceptable replacement for "says" or "does".

"He's all like <x>." Been around since I was a teen. I think it began surfacing in the 70's and really exploded in the 80's. I don't recall hearing/seeing it in media from prior to the 70's.

Users who are viewing this thread