What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man Beaten to Death After Stealing Car With Kids Inside, Police Say (1 Viewer)

On face value from that article - a clean kill.  The only way I'd charge them with anything is if video evidence show the thief completely subdued/unconscious and the beating continued.

Not that I'm advocating car theft and kidnapping but... once you stop the perp and rescue the kids, I think you should dial down the murdering.
Yeah, unless it's sort of a no-choice situation, deescalation is really the proper response. We value life over property, almost all the time. 

Not that I'm advocating car theft and kidnapping but... once you stop the perp and rescue the kids, I think you should dial down the murdering.
I feel like a shot or two is justified. Maybe the thief started to go after them I have no problem with it.  If they just ripped him from the car and punched and kicked him multiple times out of anger while he was down then yeah I think you're correct.

There has to be some type of charge against the father; at least aggravated assault.  

ETA:  And the mom is most likely looking at reckless endangerment.   

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason those kids were in danger was that those morons left them in the car with it running.  Trying to pretend concern afterwards is a bit much.
Yeah it was dumb on their part but the dead guy did commit multiple felonies despite the victims stupidity.

I could see them charging the mother with this, but not the father. 
Yeah...dad was at work.  Not to excuse the behavior of leaving the kids in the car, that is not acceptable, but they/he was at least watching close enough to see the car taken and try to stop it.

The only reason those kids were in danger was that those morons left them in the car with it running.  Trying to pretend concern afterwards is a bit much.
What?  So once you make a mistake that put your kids in danger any concern you have for your kids as a result of that mistake is pretending?

If anything, I’d be even more legitimately concerned because my guilt would act as an amplifier.

I have little sympathy for the dead guy. But I also want to see the perpetrators do some serious jail time. As a society, we shouldn't be sending a message that vigilante capital punishment is a justifiable response to a slippery slope of non-lethal crimes.

I can see your first point. But regardless of the mom’s complicity in creating the dangerous situation, the kids were still kidnapped. I’m sure the concern was anything but pretend. In other words, when your kids are abducted by a stranger, I’m guessing you’re going to flip out regardless of whether or not you were partially at fault (and it doesn’t sound like dad was at fault at all).

What?  So once you make a mistake that put your kids in danger any concern you have for your kids as a result of that mistake is pretending?
You know, you and Mrs. Rannous are kind of making the same argument: that a small error in judgment justifies disproportionate punishment.

I have little sympathy for the dead guy. But I also want to see the perpetrators do some serious jail time. As a society, we shouldn't be sending a message that vigilante capital punishment is a justifiable response to a slippery slope of non-lethal crimes.
If someone abducts my children, I have no idea whether the result will be non-lethal. 

Why didn't the father think of all those rational and logical arguments when he was running after a moving car with his children inside and all sorts of fears and thoughts of paranoia running through his head? Maybe he should've pulled that man from the car and politely asked his intentions. Was he just looking to steal a car, or does he have a thing for little kids? Once the father weighed the answers and posed follow up questions, then he should've called his pastor to ask what he should do along with two character references the car thief/kidnapper provides. That's what we should all do as a society.  

Or maybe, get out of your ivory tower and realize there is so much more going on in this situation than what we should or shouldn't be as a society. Because as a father, had someone stolen a car with my kids in it and I had caught him...

Let’s say I was carrying a licensed firearm. And some guy abducted my young children. If I managed to catch up to him, I’m thinking it is pretty likely that I would put a bullet in him.

Now this guy may get charged because he continued the beating after the man was already knocked out or otherwise subdued. We’ll have to wait for the facts to come out. 

Why didn't the father think of all those rational and logical arguments when he was running after a moving car with his children inside and all sorts of fears and thoughts of paranoia running through his head? Maybe he should've pulled that man from the car and politely asked his intentions. Was he just looking to steal a car, or does he have a thing for little kids? Once the father weighed the answers and posed follow up questions, then he should've called his pastor to ask what he should do along with two character references the car thief/kidnapper provides. That's what we should all do as a society.  

Or maybe, get out of your ivory tower and realize there is so much more going on in this situation than what we should or shouldn't be as a society. Because as a father, had someone stolen a car with my kids in it and I had caught him...
Yes I get that, but there is a difference between beating up a guy and killing him.

What about the role the other bystanders played in beating the thief to death? What was the emotional drive for their actions?

The article doesn't give us a breakdown of what role they played. 

What about the role the other bystanders played in beating the thief to death? What was the emotional drive for their actions?

The article doesn't give us a breakdown of what role they played. 
Yeah, additional facts will need to be brought to light. 

Let’s say I was carrying a licensed firearm. And some guy abducted my young children. If I managed to catch up to him, I’m thinking it is pretty likely that I would put a bullet in him.

Now this guy may get charged because he continued the beating after the man was already knocked out or otherwise subdued. We’ll have to wait for the facts to come out. 
That's really exactly what I was thinking, too. That if he was armed he'd actually have more of an excuse than in beating the guy to death. 

Likely a combination of the two human instincts to protect children and to get sucked up in violent mob mentality when in that environment.

Likely a combination of the two human instincts to protect children and to get sucked up in violent mob mentality when in that environment.
Probably no way of knowing. I just wonder how much the mob contributed to the thief's death? Would the guy have died if it was just the Dad vs the thief? 

We shouldn't allow emotionally-driven people to have a license to kill.

If you want to take the law into your own hands, that's your prerogative. But you should be fully prepared, if not willing, to accept the consequences of your actions.

I didn't read the article. I'm just thinking of myself in a situation where my kids are taken. Say you have kids in the car and stop to put something in a mailbox but leave the car running. In those few seconds someone takes the car. I'd turn into the hulk. 

We shouldn't allow emotionally-driven people to have a license to kill.

If you want to take the law into your own hands, that's your prerogative. But you should be fully prepared, if not willing, to accept the consequences of your actions.
Heat of Passion legal defense
I'm not so conservative that I oppose this type of defense. But society cannot let crimes go unpunished.

"Heat of Passion" is not synonymous with "Self Defense".

I'd have a hard time toning it down after fearing for my child's safety, but beating a man to death is a whole other issue.  Punishment not fitting the crime and all.
Death by beatdown is definitely a fitting punishment for kidnapping 3 small children.

Anyone that abducts children, even as collateral damage for another crime, should not be in this world.

I didn't read the article. I'm just thinking of myself in a situation where my kids are taken. Say you have kids in the car and stop to put something in a mailbox but leave the car running. In those few seconds someone takes the car. I'd turn into the hulk. 
Yeah but this dumb lady went inside a restaurant and started chatting up her boyfriend.  Kidnapper got what he deserved but mom was negligent here.

Death by beatdown is definitely a fitting punishment for kidnapping 3 small children.

Anyone that abducts children, even as collateral damage for another crime, should not be in this world.

Yeah but this dumb lady went inside a restaurant and started chatting up her boyfriend.  Kidnapper got what he deserved but mom was negligent here.
I guess the mom has a beat down coming?

Users who are viewing this thread