What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man Beaten to Death After Stealing Car With Kids Inside, Police Say (2 Viewers)

A child endangerment charge may be warranted.
Maybe. 

But, if someone can justify a mob beating a man to death for stealing a car with kids inside, then why can't they justify physical justice against the mother. 

I guess she will get her day in court. Due process and all that. 

Maybe. 

But, if someone can justify a mob beating a man to death for stealing a car with kids inside, then why can't they justify physical justice against the mother. 

I guess she will get her day in court. Due process and all that. 
I don't think anyone in this thread has attempted to justify a mob beating a man to death.  The discussions has centered on the father who caught up to the guy.  It could very well be that the father beat up the kidnapper but didn't kill him, and it was the mob that caused the death.  We really need more facts to come to light before we can reach an informed conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
We shouldn't allow emotionally-driven people to have a license to kill.

If you want to take the law into your own hands, that's your prerogative. But you should be fully prepared, if not willing, to accept the consequences of your actions.
We shouldn't let ivory tower dwelling robots deem what society is and isn't in terms of a case such of this that includes only a few of said society. Keep looking at it from a societal macro view and you never see what really happens to people, only what you wish would happen in the real world. The problem is, people like that, don't know what the real world is. 

Will be interesting to hear more about these bystanders that jumped in. Maybe its the dude from Disneyland

Yeah it was dumb on their part but the dead guy did commit multiple felonies despite the victims stupidity.
The dude stole a car.  I doubt he had the least idea that there were kids inside.  Car theft is not a death penalty offense.  

Does the father know that? Or does the father know he may never see his kids again? Empathy down?
The car was RUNNING.  The kids were in it.  Car theft is pretty common.  Kidnappers cruising town looking for cars with kids inside, not so much.  If you care that much for your kids, take better care of them.  Every time this happens in Houston, the Chief of Police tells people this.  But there's just no accounting for stupid.

I loathe thieves.  Still not a death penalty offense.

The dude stole a car.  I doubt he had the least idea that there were kids inside.  Car theft is not a death penalty offense.  
You must not have kids if you don’t think someone can tell there are three young ones in the car.

Plus, the article doesn’t say the thief stopped when he noticed the kids in the car.  The thief only stopped due to traffic at a red light.  As soon as he realized there were kids in the car, which is fair to assume he did notice at some point, then it’s kidnapping.

I don't think anyone in this thread has attempted to justify a mob beating a man to death.  The discussions has centered on the father who caught up to the guy.  It could very well be that the father beat up the kidnapper but didn't kill him, and it was the mob that caused the death.  We really need more facts to come to light before we can reach an informed conclusion.
Agree.

But, I think there are some that are not really waiting for clarification. 

According to officials, Hood had at least 24 prior arrests and convictions.

I think the dad did us all a favor.

The dad or the thief?
Damn, I was actually intending on clearly identifying who I was talking about but that obviously wasn't the case.   The thief.  

ETA:  Never mind, I was replying to someone talking about the thief so there was vital context.   Carry on.

"They were able to pull this car thief out of the vehicle. He fled on foot about a half a block. And the boyfriend caught up to him and there was some sort of physical struggle that ensued," said Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small.

Hood managed to break free from the father, and continued to flee across 29th Street. That's when, police say, a crowd gathered around Hood and forced him to the ground.

The crowd allegedly kicked and punched Hood until the arrival of responding police officers.
Going to be hard to pinpoint this on anyone unless they have CCTV footage like all the Netflix crime shows

I've been leaving my kids in the car for a few years now, but they are 12 (son) & 9 (daughter)...probably started around the time they were 10 & 7.

I don't think I'd leave my daughter alone yet, though, and she's 9.  My son is old enough to do a lot of things on his own.

I guess that's why no one ever leaves their kids in the car on hot days.
Has that ever happened to three kids simultaneously?  A lot easier to keep one kid in a car asleep and quiet than it is three.

But even assuming that all three kids were asleep and quiet it’s difficult to imagine that a car thief doesn’t notice any of them along the way.

I'd be shocked if the thief didn't know there were kids in the car.   I'd also be a little surprised if the thief decided to steal a car with 3 kids in it; what's the end game there.   You steal a car, that hardly gets any police attention.   You kidnap 3 kids, that's a whole other ball game.  

I typically mock the i-Tough Guys who live in this forum, and philosophically there is no defense for beating the kidnapper to death.  But it is not unreasonable for a person to flip out in response to having their kids snatched and to react violently in the heat of the moment.  Based on the facts presented in the article, I am not in favor of charging the father or mother.  

It was a Hyundai sedan - with three kid seats in it.  I'm not sure how how you wouldn't know that three kids were in the car.  It's not like it was a suburban or something.

Why didn't the father think of all those rational and logical arguments when he was running after a moving car with his children inside and all sorts of fears and thoughts of paranoia running through his head? Maybe he should've pulled that man from the car and politely asked his intentions. Was he just looking to steal a car, or does he have a thing for little kids? Once the father weighed the answers and posed follow up questions, then he should've called his pastor to ask what he should do along with two character references the car thief/kidnapper provides. That's what we should all do as a society.  

Or maybe, get out of your ivory tower and realize there is so much more going on in this situation than what we should or shouldn't be as a society. Because as a father, had someone stolen a car with my kids in it and I had caught him...
What about the bystanders that jumped in to stomp some face?

How long did this woman leave her kids alone in a running car?  30 seconds?  30 minutes?

Why are these bystanders jumping in and randomly  helping in this beat down?  Do they even know the situation?

I understand the father is out of his mind concerned, but not very concerned about exposing his children to the scene of a person getting beaten to death? 

If someone abducts my children, I have no idea whether the result will be non-lethal. 
Agree - from what I can tell from the article it wasn’t really an intentional abduction by the guy but either way I’m not convicting those folks.  Doubt I would do the same but who knows how you react in that situation and with your adrenaline going.  If that guy didn’t intend to kidnap them then that’s a tough break but don’t steal cars and you won’t find you self in the situation.

You must not have kids if you don’t think someone can tell there are three young ones in the car.

Plus, the article doesn’t say the thief stopped when he noticed the kids in the car.  The thief only stopped due to traffic at a red light.  As soon as he realized there were kids in the car, which is fair to assume he did notice at some point, then it’s kidnapping.
Interesting point and I tend to agree - I do doubt the guy was attempting to kidnap them unless more details come out but it’s hard to feel sorry for him.

While I have zero sympathy for the car thief. Once he got out of the car and ran who was then watching the kids?  Shouldn't the dad be more concerned?

:devil:

It was a Hyundai sedan - with three kid seats in it.  I'm not sure how how you wouldn't know that three kids were in the car.  It's not like it was a suburban or something.
I’ve never stolen a car or planned a car robbery but I’m assuming if I decide to steal one and there’s one on the street running that I’m getting in fast and taking off.  I’m probably not looking in the backseat first.  I definitely could see a scenario where he gets a block away before realizing it.

Interesting point and I tend to agree - I do doubt the guy was attempting to kidnap them unless more details come out but it’s hard to feel sorry for him.
Completely agree with you.  Very few car thieves intend to kidnap, but once they realize someone is in the car and they continue nonetheless that meets the criminal elements of kidnapping.

Kind of blows for the car thieves because that wasn’t their intent and if they stop to free the passenger they didn’t initially know was in the car they have a higher chance of getting caught, but it’s hard to have any sympathy for car thieves.

While I have zero sympathy for the car thief. Once he got out of the car and ran who was then watching the kids?  Shouldn't the dad be more concerned?

:devil:
He didn’t jump out of the car and run. According to the article, Dad pulled him out of the car. 

That's really exactly what I was thinking, too. That if he was armed he'd actually have more of an excuse than in beating the guy to death. 
I don't think it's always so clear, as the line between ###-whupping and death is razor thin. Moreover, why are we certain the death of the perpetrator was the result of the dad's blows?

Users who are viewing this thread