What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Using The Word "Owner" For Fantasy Sports Teams - What Do You Think? (1 Viewer)

What Do You Think Of FBG Avoiding Using "Owner"?

• Totally agree with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Mostly agree with with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Slightly agree with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • On The Fence / Don't Care

Votes: 28 15.9%
  • Slightly disagree with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Mostly disagree with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Totally disagree with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 117 66.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No dude, we most certainly get to give our input on this one.  This is monumentally stupid and I think Joe just does this type of stuff to drum up posts on a thread.  This is a new thing for him and this site. 
Yeah, I think he's asking for input. I'm just saying with respect to the public bathrooms thing, it seems a majority of people certainly weren't heard. That was all. 

I have not paid for the extras on the site in a couple years due to not being able to follow football as much.  I'm back to having more time available this year and had considered paying again.  The continued PC nonsense I read from Joe has convinced me to spend my money elsewhere.  

Probably time to look for a new forum to read as well.  

No dude, we most certainly get to give our input on this one.  This is monumentally stupid and I think Joe just does this type of stuff to drum up posts on a thread.  This is a new thing for him and this site. 
BINGO.

This is a response to the criticism that Joe wasn't really "part of the community" (since he almost never posted for years) back when he took us from PG13 to PG.  The response has been topics like this, which draw a lot of posts because A) Joe started the topic and B) they're usually very polarizing (but IMO, aren't really indicative of the kind of fun discussion that we had here for nearly 20 years)

As for the actual issue of the term "owner" it definitely seems like a white guilt sort of thing.  Nobody reasonable actually thinks they "own" their fantasy football players in some sort of racist way.  I'm the captain of my Sunday morning basketball team. Doesn't mean everyone else has to salute me when I enter the gym.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the statement in Joe's response to someone saying it's easy & takes no effort to say general manager instead of owner, why the opposition? Well maybe some people are tired of being told how to talk and how to think. The cry baby mentality of people anymore at every word spoken is making people numb to caring how anyone feels.

And the statement in Joe's response to someone saying it's easy & takes no effort to say general manager instead of owner, why the opposition? Well maybe some people are tired of being told how to talk and how to think. The cry baby mentality of people anymore at every word spoken is making people numb to caring how anyone feels.
We don't always agree, but this is really astute. People have their reasons for doing things and are a bit tired of being told they're insensitive or wrong-headed. We all get to be our own moral agents at some point. 

We don't always agree, but this is really astute. People have their reasons for doing things and are a bit tired of being told they're insensitive or wrong-headed. We all get to be our own moral agents at some point. 
Not even necessarily wrong-headed or insensitive. I think people, in general, just don't like others telling them what they meant. I mean, when I say something, I know exactly what I meant. So do you. For someone to come along and tell you "I know EXACTLY what you meant, and it was..." can be quite annoying. It's also quite common in the FFA, though less so now there there's a separate political forum.

Not even necessarily wrong-headed or insensitive. I think people, in general, just don't like others telling them what they meant. I mean, when I say something, I know exactly what I meant. So do you. For someone to come along and tell you "I know EXACTLY what you meant, and it was..." can be quite annoying. It's also quite common in the FFA, though less so now there there's a separate political forum.
That is awfully true, IMO, also. Going to motive and "dog whistles" and other modern accusations of appealing to certain base elements without intending to do so is a real problem and is annoying and conversation-stultifying. 

I don't think it is horrendous but I try to avoid saying it (thouh I slip out of habit all the time). It just sounds weird imo. 

Christo said:
Yes, you do. Ownership is the right to possess, use, or dispose of something. It doesn't have to be tangible.
Correct counselor, but the point remains. I am an owner of the pile of #### my dog left in my backyard this morning.  You own your fantasy team.  One is tangible and will soon be disposed of. The other is intangible, but has the same value, whether legal, financial or otherwise. 

I'm just wondering when things changed to the point where people seem to  expect to live a life that is completely void of being offended.  Life is filled with billions of moving parts--some of those parts will make you happy, some will make you sad, some will make you feel empowered, and some might actually offend you.   That's called reality.  Anybody that expects the world to change because something might be slightly offensive to them ---is most likely guilty of cognitive dissonance and extreme entitlement.  Intent and context need to be evaluated when establishing if a particular word is acceptable.   The term "fantasy owner" to me is clearly not used with a mean spirited context or anything close to that.   If somebody truly believes it's a terrible term--they have a choice to stop playing and their voice can be heard that way.   Forcing an entire community of people to change their diction for a phrase that is being used with no ill will or mean spiritedness is arrogant and entitled behavior.  The solution to this problem is not to enable these kinds of thoughts (people) but to rather remind that them everybody at some point is offended by something.  It's just life. 

Sorry but wrong. No offense, but I've got a ton to do that's way more important than trying to "drum up posts on a thread". :lmao:  Everything posted is welcome for input. I assume that's most things are posted on a board. 

Yeah, I think he's asking for input. I'm just saying with respect to the public bathrooms thing, it seems a majority of people certainly weren't heard. That was all. 
Thanks. Not really asking for input for us. As I said, we're not changing anything. I just thought the Stephen A thing was interesting and threw out for discussion. 

Thanks. Not really asking for input for us. As I said, we're not changing anything. I just thought the Stephen A thing was interesting and threw out for discussion. 
You know how people say “it’s funny because it’s true”? The same thing applies here. It’s interesting to you because you know what he’s saying is true. As a white guy you felt guilty for using the term “owner” and he, as a black man, is basically laughing at you and the others that somehow think you’re doing right by the black race by not using a word (that has some racial component in only the smallest sliver of the words history) when in its proper context is a completely innocent word.

You aren’t being as noble as you seem to think you are by undertaking this policy because it’s not making up for any mistreatment of the African American race that at one point was treated as chattel in this country. I would call it a meaningless gesture, but it actually does have meaning, but unfortunately for you not that meaning you are going for. Instead you are bastardizing the English language by assigning the improper meaning to the word “owner” in this context. 

No disrespect intended because by all accounts I believe you to be a good guy. I just think you’re trying way too hard to be one here, and it actually makes you look worse. Just my honest opinion.

You know how people say “it’s funny because it’s true”? The same thing applies here. It’s interesting to you because you know what he’s saying is true. As a white guy you felt guilty for using the term “owner” and he, as a black man, is basically laughing at you and the others that somehow think you’re doing right by the black race by not using a word (that has some racial component in only the smallest sliver of the words history) when in its proper context is a completely innocent word.

You aren’t being as noble as you seem to think you are by undertaking this policy because it’s not making up for any mistreatment of the African American race that at one point was treated as chattel in this country. I would call it a meaningless gesture, but it actually does have meaning, but unfortunately for you not that meaning you are going for. Instead you are bastardizing the English language by assigning the improper meaning to the word “owner” in this context. 

No disrespect intended because by all accounts I believe you to be a good guy. I just think you’re trying way too hard to be one here, and it actually makes you look worse. Just my honest opinion.
:confused:  Thanks but I"m not sure how you think you know so much about me. I definitely don't think there's anything "noble" about this. :shrug:  But thanks for the kind words and the feedback.

Also perhaps I’m a little salty because I was banned for a week (the only time in 15 years here) literally because I used the phrase “a certain poster” to reference someone who mocked what I said in my response post to give it more context. And the guy that mocked me, and was frankly stirring the pot in that topic was left unscathed.

So since I think that reaction went too far, maybe this topic is triggering me a little because it’s also going “too far”.

I'm just wondering when things changed to the point where people seem to  expect to live a life that is completely void of being offended.  Life is filled with billions of moving parts--some of those parts will make you happy, some will make you sad, some will make you feel empowered, and some might actually offend you.   That's called reality.  Anybody that expects the world to change because something might be slightly offensive to them ---is most likely guilty of cognitive dissonance and extreme entitlement.  Intent and context need to be evaluated when establishing if a particular word is acceptable.   The term "fantasy owner" to me is clearly not used with a mean spirited context or anything close to that.   If somebody truly believes it's a terrible term--they have a choice to stop playing and their voice can be heard that way.   Forcing an entire community of people to change their diction for a phrase that is being used with no ill will or mean spiritedness is arrogant and entitled behavior.  The solution to this problem is not to enable these kinds of thoughts (people) but to rather remind that them everybody at some point is offended by something.  It's just life. 
I think this whole owner/GM thing is a s dumb as anyone, but good lord people just throw the word "entitled" around for anything anymore.  Joe isn't demanding any users avoid the term.  He asked his PAID EMPLOYEES if they would.  WTF is entitled about a business owner asking the people he's paying to avoid a term?

Again don't care less about the word "owner" in this context, but if anyone is being entitled here it's the dude who thinks he should get to pick what is OK to say the free forum that someone else is providing for him.

It's become such a dumb word.  You can apply it to anything.  Heck you sound entitled as hell for "I should be able to say what I want and people that are offended should just suck it up and deal with it.".  The irony that people who use the term "entitled" are almost always complaining about possibly losing something they feel they are entitled to.

I think this whole owner/GM thing is a s dumb as anyone, but good lord people just throw the word "entitled" around for anything anymore.  Joe isn't demanding any users avoid the term.  He asked his PAID EMPLOYEES if they would.  WTF is entitled about a business owner asking the people he's paying to avoid a term?

Again don't care less about the word "owner" in this context, but if anyone is being entitled here it's the dude who thinks he should get to pick what is OK to say the free forum that someone else is providing for him.

It's become such a dumb word.  You can apply it to anything.  Heck you sound entitled as hell for "I should be able to say what I want and people that are offended should just suck it up and deal with it.".  The irony that people who use the term "entitled" are almost always complaining about possibly losing something they feel they are entitled to.
Joe asked posters in this forum their thoughts on the use of the word "owner" in a thread.  He obviously wanted feedback from more than just the "paid employees" as he could have just emailed them privately.  I never said Joe was "entitled" about asking his employees or his patrons for feedback-so I don't know where that is coming from at all.   

I used to think this kind of insanity was just something online that gets blown out of proportion.  Just people trying to stick out and get coverage/clicks.

Scary to think reasonable people are debating this.  

It is like mass hypnosis.  It is social media but I must be way underestimating its influence.  
I personally believe that part of it is that as a society we have glamourized being victimized to the point where people are effectively creating new reasons or ways to claim to be offended or "victims" of something or another.  We are distracting ourselves with stupid crap while our society continues to devolve.   It's just like using our energy to re-organize  the deck chairs on the Titanic as it's starting to sink.   

Sending my kids to camp.

Lets make "camp" a thing.

Holocaust, Japanese, Mexicans etc.

I'm sure those connections have always been in your head whenever you thought about summer camp.

So we need a new word.  

My kids are imaginary/fantasy too so this is perfect.

Also perhaps I’m a little salty because I was banned for a week (the only time in 15 years here) literally because I used the phrase “a certain poster” to reference someone who mocked what I said in my response post to give it more context. And the guy that mocked me, and was frankly stirring the pot in that topic was left unscathed.

So since I think that reaction went too far, maybe this topic is triggering me a little because it’s also going “too far”.

I understand being sensitive there. Looking at the report, it looks like we posted:

And on our board we're going to stop being ##### bags to each other with the cute slap fights and told you so's. We're going to keep it where the goal is 100% of what people post is about the player and zero is taking shots or snarky passive aggressive swipes at other posters. 

If that works for people, we'd love for them to continue posting here. 

Full Stop. No discussion on that point. 
And you kept digging at the other poster. Sorry. :shrug:  The other poster was also warned but that's never seen. In the history of suspensions at FBG, it's always been "I was doing nothing and got suspended but the one who really did it got nothing". Same as day one. 

No idea how that relates to this but ok. Don't be triggered. We'll all be ok. 

If someone owns a warehouse shipping company and has employees that he pays to work there, does he own those people or does he own his company?

Can't see how a team is any different. This is another really dumb made up issue for the outrage police to make some headlines.

It's 6.  I voted that one but meant the last one in the list.  I have reading comprehension issues. :bag:
I did the exact same thing.  I was the first to make the mistake back on page 1.

I couldn't believe I was the only one who thought this was nuts when the poll showed my only vote on the first answer and then read the first choice more closely.   doh!!

So I think there are 5 people who need to either explain themselves or admit to our reading comprehension levels :)

I will say that "I own so-and-so ..." is not a common turn of the phrase for my FF group. "I have ..." or "I got ..." are much more spoken out loud -- "I got Davante Adams and the Packer D going tonight."

Is it simply the words "own" and "owner" that offend (mildly or otherwise)? Nothing more of less than that?
I think it's more of a dynasty thing

TheIronSheik said:
Honestly, white women seem to be the main people claiming everything is racist or cultural appropriation.  
Eeeesh man you need to open up your worldview quite a bit more. I’m kind of disappointed to see a guy like you have this opinion. I don’t really care about the owner/GM take but there is racism everywhere.

I'm going to blow people's minds here that know me politically. I fully agree with NOT using the term "owner." Whenever humanly possible, I say that I "roster" somebody if they fall under my auspices as GM.

That's it.

No owners, no chattel. 
I always thought it was odd how people say “I own 8 shares of _____”. Not saying it’s wrong or anything, I doubt anybody saying it means negative intent, just really weird to me. 

I always thought it was odd how people say “I own 8 shares of _____”. Not saying it’s wrong or anything, I doubt anybody saying it means negative intent, just really weird to me. 
A way of talking about your teams and players as part of an overall portfolio, I guess. Ownership feelings there are strong, or so I've noticed.

A way of talking about your teams and players as part of an overall portfolio, I guess. Ownership feelings there are strong, or so I've noticed.
I don't think anybody means it as if they own a portfolio or a person.  In regards to fantasy--the only thing that "ownership" implies is only that players statistics and nothing more.   It's ownership of that players statistical performance in the leagues that you play in.  Thats why context I think is the key.    If somebody says they own "8 shares of ____"--it just means they are believers in the production and on field performance of that particular player.  I just cant fathom how anybody would find it offensive to say "i own the statistical production of ___ player in my fantasy league"--because that is all that drafting players on a fantasy team means.  

I don't think anybody means it as if they own a portfolio or a person.  In regards to fantasy--the only thing that "ownership" implies is only that players statistics and nothing more.   It's ownership of that players statistical performance in the leagues that you play in.  Thats why context I think is the key.    If somebody says they own "8 shares of ____"--it just means they are believers in the production and on field performance of that particular player.  I just cant fathom how anybody would find it offensive to say "i own the statistical production of ___ player in my fantasy league"--because that is all that drafting players on a fantasy team means.  
I kind of agree with your points, and I don't think we're finding it offensive in the least, just weird in the owning "shares" case. That said, I can see it, too -- I always thought owning "eight shares" meant he was on eight of your teams. By portfolio, I meant the sum total of all your players on all your teams. This is when someone asks you how heavily is your portfolio (the sum of your teams) invested in Player X you can say, "Oh, I own eight shares of him."

That's the way I've always interpreted it. Others' mileages may vary. 

100% this...I’ll add, there is real plight and manufactured plight in this country and in the world in general.  Unfortunately over the last 10-20 years or so, the ratio has slanted dramatically to the latter, which to your point produces systematic indifference that is counterproductive to moving the needle forward on the former.

If at anytime when debating on message boards you used the phrase “I owned” my opponent you should reflect on what you’ve done and consider yourself lucky that you avoided hate crime charges.

This is too much.

While we're in hypersensitive mode, shouldn't this site's name be changed to footballpeople.com?
Exactly. Joe I want you to change the site to footballpeople.com or I’m personally lining up a dozen or two females to start a social media campaign against your sexist business practices. 

I can’t help but notice he’s replied to every post but conveniently ignored the requests of several members to remedy the sexist URL and business name. This tendency perhaps could also have something to do with the complete lack of female staff.

Is there a culture of sexism within Footballguys? Upon first glance it certainly seems so. 

I accidently voted for the top choice when I meant to vote for last choice so cancel my vote out..   So it is only 6 that agree.  Landslide against.

Exactly. Joe I want you to change the site to footballpeople.com or I’m personally lining up a dozen or two females to start a social media campaign against your sexist business practices. 

I can’t help but notice he’s replied to every post but conveniently ignored the requests of several members to remedy the sexist URL and business name. This tendency perhaps could also have something to do with the complete lack of female staff.

Is there a culture of sexism within Footballguys? Upon first glance it certainly seems so. 
Should probably add a personal pronoun identifier field to everyone’s profile too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread