What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Using The Word "Owner" For Fantasy Sports Teams - What Do You Think? (1 Viewer)

What Do You Think Of FBG Avoiding Using "Owner"?

• Totally agree with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Mostly agree with with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Slightly agree with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • On The Fence / Don't Care

Votes: 28 15.9%
  • Slightly disagree with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Mostly disagree with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Totally disagree with FBG in avoiding using "Owner"

Votes: 117 66.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of agree with your points, and I don't think we're finding it offensive in the least, just weird in the owning "shares" case. That said, I can see it, too -- I always thought owning "eight shares" meant he was on eight of your teams. By portfolio, I meant the sum total of all your players on all your teams. This is when someone asks you how heavily is your portfolio (the sum of your teams) invested in Player X you can say, "Oh, I own eight shares of him."

That's the way I've always interpreted it. Others' mileages may vary. 
You are correct here. If you use Draft to do Best Ball it has a feature called “ownership percentage” where it breaks down every player you have drafted on all your teams and how many times. 

I think if someone is offended by the use of “guys” in the website or the use of “owner” in fantasy context they probably are being overly sensitive. I think it sounds odd and try to avoid it. However, there’s an equally oversensitive backlash to the idea as well. Some of these posts here have me rolling with laughter.  

Exactly. Joe I want you to change the site to footballpeople.com or I’m personally lining up a dozen or two females to start a social media campaign against your sexist business practices. 

I can’t help but notice he’s replied to every post but conveniently ignored the requests of several members to remedy the sexist URL and business name. This tendency perhaps could also have something to do with the complete lack of female staff.

Is there a culture of sexism within Footballguys? Upon first glance it certainly seems so. 
Unless Keith Roberts, Devin Knotts, Ryan Zamicheili, or Craig Zumsteg are females or black, J should probably focus on how he could make his site and this hobby more inclusive of those demographics rather than taking English advice from Steven A. Smith.

I find it interesting that Footballguys clings to their sexist name likely for business reasons while refraining from using the reference Redskins.

In the future, polls like this should have Disagree, Neutral or Agree.  Either you do, you don’t, or you don’t care.  Too many options and only makes the landslide Disagree appear skewed. 

Exactly. Joe I want you to change the site to footballpeople.com or I’m personally lining up a dozen or two females to start a social media campaign against your sexist business practices. 

I can’t help but notice he’s replied to every post but conveniently ignored the requests of several members to remedy the sexist URL and business name. This tendency perhaps could also have something to do with the complete lack of female staff.

Is there a culture of sexism within Footballguys? Upon first glance it certainly seems so. 
Man, Joe pulled the pin on a grenade and dropped it at his feet.

Yes, I agree that this needs changed to footballpeople.com. 'footballguys' offends me as does 'general manager.'

This place shall now be referred to as FBP.

I voted "totally agree" although, honestly, I really don't care all that much.

The first time I heard this issue raised was when Draymond Green brought it up maybe a year or so ago about NBA owners. Mark Cuban strongly disagreed.  Cuban mentioned most of the same points that have been brought up in the thread.  Those points are valid, of course, and my immediate reaction was to side with Cuban.

A year passed and the NBA recently decided to refer to "owners" as "governors".  By this time, my feelings are that I'm fine with it.  I must admit that it's a little weird for me to hear a mostly white group of men referred to as owning a mostly black group of players.  If you don't see this, that's fine.  But some people do.

The meaning of words change.  It's the nature of language.  I don't think we need to fight it.  In fact, life is easier when we just roll with it.  It's probably a good thing to continue to adapt to changes as we grow older.  We all know/knew people from older generations who resisted.  What good did that do them?

As far as Joe's decision, it makes sense to me.  If fantasy football is around still in 20 years, I'm sure this "owing" language won't be used.  Always nice not to be behind the curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
The meaning of words change.  It's the nature of language.  I don't think we need to fight it.  In fact, life is easier when we just roll with it.  It's probably a good thing to continue to adapt to changes as we grow older.  We all know/knew people from older generations who resisted.  What good did that do them?
The gendered already came for my singular pronouns, do I have to let the T in LBTGQ have them so totally and completely, too? What exactly are we sacrificing here? 

Let's change the name of the White House too so that players don't get offended when they win a championship
Hasn't this been a running joke that depends on the absurdity of taboos about white/black designations being racially motivated?

We just had a Betsy Ross flag kiboshed by a giant corporation because that is supposedly racist; this doesn't seem too far off as to ruin the joke. 

Change the term "free agency" too. It is a code word for "free slave" 

The gendered already came for my singular pronouns, do I have to let the T in LBTGQ have them so totally and completely, too? What exactly are we sacrificing here? 
I would love it to be simpler.  The he/she and "singular they" stuff is awkward.  If we had just one word for a person (like just "one"), writing would be easier.  

Let's change the name of the White House too so that players don't get offended when they win a championship
The game of pool needs to be changed too! You use a white ball to knock all of the colored balls off the table. And the black ball is the last one that can be knocked off the table!

What are we doing here? Are we moving forward? Where does all of this lead too before someone comes up with something new? It never stops.

@Joe Bryant, Serious question among all the excellent jokes — Have you actually polled black people (and only black people) how they feel about this issue since not using “owner” seems to be an earnest and noble (albeit misplaced) attempt to not cause offense to that demographic? 

This strikes me as similar to some people avoiding using the team name “Redskins” when polling of the demographic that should allegedly be offended by that term shows that the majority of that demographic that others are supposedly acting on behalf of aren’t really offended themselves.

rather than taking English advice from Steven A. Smith.
You probably didn’t watch the video (and who could blame you) but Steven A. was actually thought it was ridiculous that the NBA was doing away with the word “owner”. He said they own their teams.

@Joe Bryant, Serious question among all the excellent jokes — Have you actually polled black people (and only black people) how they feel about this issue since not using “owner” seems to be an earnest and noble (albeit misplaced) attempt to not cause offense to that demographic? 

This strikes me as similar to some people avoiding using the team name “Redskins” when polling of the demographic that should allegedly be offended by that term shows that the majority of that demographic that others are supposedly acting on behalf of aren’t really offended themselves.
Why in the world should he poll black people on this?  They wouldn't be offended or harmed in any way by the the switch to "general manager".  

Why in the world should he poll black people on this?  They wouldn't be offended or harmed in any way by the the switch to "general manager".  
The majority wouldn’t be offended or harmed in any way by maintaining “owner”.

And why wouldn’t you poll the group whose interests you believe you’re acting on behalf of?

”Hey, other white guys, what do you think about this move that I, another white guy, am doing for black people?”

That doesn’t tell you anything about what the group your acting on behalf of actually thinks or whether they actually want someone to act on their behalf in such a manner.

Team Leader

Team Captain

Team Exec

I could see this terms being used and I agree the word "owner" is not the best term to use.

I voted "totally agree" although, honestly, I really don't care all that much.

The first time I heard this issue raised was when Draymond Green brought it up maybe a year or so ago about NBA owners. Mark Cuban strongly disagreed.  Cuban mentioned most of the same points that have been brought up in the thread.  Those points are valid, of course, and my immediate reaction was to side with Cuban.

A year passed and the NBA recently decided to refer to "owners" as "governors".  By this time, my feelings are that I'm fine with it.  I must admit that it's a little weird for me to hear a mostly white group of men referred to as owning a mostly black group of players.  If you don't see this, that's fine.  But some people do.

As far as Joe's decision, it makes sense to me.  If fantasy football is around still in 20 years, I'm sure this "owing" language won't be used.  Always nice not to be behind the curve.
Why is it relegated to only the players?

You say mostly black players.

So an owner owns a team. The 12 players are what 0.5% of the actuall company?  

The majority wouldn’t be offended or harmed in any way by maintaining “owner”.

And why wouldn’t you poll the group whose interests you believe you’re acting on behalf of?
I think you should include the percentage of people (like me) who think it just sounds weird.  Not necessarily offended or harmed.  

On one hand, you have a group of people who feel harmed, offended or just think a use of a word seems weird.  On the other hand, you have a group of people who want to object to change for anti-PC reasons.  If Joe personally wants to make the change, why should he have to kowtow to the latter group?

Why is it relegated to only the players?

You say mostly black players.

So an owner owns a team. The 12 players are what 0.5% of the actuall company?  
Sure, it doesn't have to be relegated to only players.  Sometimes, however, we talk about a "team" and that sometimes just means the players.  Or, perhaps, just the players and coaches.

You probably didn’t watch the video (and who could blame you) but Steven A. was actually thought it was ridiculous that the NBA was doing away with the word “owner”. He said they own their teams.
What's amazing is I didn't watch the video for the exact reason that you impliedly described and I'm glad I now know his position. Way to take one for the team, even if just knowing his position might even be too much. 

If Joe personally wants to make the change, why should he have to kowtow to the latter group?
It’s Joe’s site.  He can do what he wants.  I don’t see many people suggesting otherwise.

On one hand, you have a group of people who feel harmed, offended or just think a use of a word seems weird.  
Right, and we’re just telling Joe the size of that group is smaller than he may believe.  The poll results bear that out.

On the other hand, you have a group of people who want to object to change for anti-PC reasons. 
Or it could be for pro-rationality reasons.

Man, Joe pulled the pin on a grenade and dropped it at his feet.

Yes, I agree that this needs changed to footballpeople.com. 'footballguys' offends me as does 'general manager.'

This place shall now be referred to as FBP.
handeggpeople.com would be better. Football in most countries in the world refers to a different sport. footballpeople.com is inconsiderate of our foreign subscribers

I think you should include the percentage of people (like me) who think it just sounds weird.  Not necessarily offended or harmed.  

On one hand, you have a group of people who feel harmed, offended or just think a use of a word seems weird.  On the other hand, you have a group of people who want to object to change for anti-PC reasons.  If Joe personally wants to make the change, why should he have to kowtow to the latter group?
Joe can do whatever he wants and call things whatever he wants.  He OWNS the business.

Sure, it doesn't have to be relegated to only players.  Sometimes, however, we talk about a "team" and that sometimes just means the players.  Or, perhaps, just the players and coaches.
And sometimes, however, we talk about "owning a player" which sometimes doesnt mean you own that person at all.

We’re talking about fantasy football right? Sorry, I think this is a bit much.

I do agree however that this is your show though Joe, and you can do whatever you feel is right. 

My apologies to Steven A.  Now I'll have to watch/read Steven A's material before I read Joe's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread