What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL owners & NFLPA approve a 17-game season: details & fantasy football discussion thread. (1 Viewer)

I can appreciate this happens all the time, but its not a requirement and I'd say people look at this as a negative in other sports.
I'm not being a d-bag here, but do they? People really expect their all-star goalie to play all 82 games? I guess we just look at it differently. I appreciate the team aspect of the game and don't go to root for a half dozen guys.

Admittedly, it may be the reason I hate what the NBA has turned into and my opinion may be in the minority. 

I'm not being a d-bag here, but do they? People really expect their all-star goalie to play all 82 games? I guess we just look at it differently. I appreciate the team aspect of the game and don't go to root for a half dozen guys.

Admittedly, it may be the reason I hate what the NBA has turned into and my opinion may be in the minority. 
I look at it as, Lebron James is coming to your city and youd like to watch him play. That ticket is a premium cost due to the Lakers coming. so you're paying more than normal. You take your 10 year old son who loves the NBA and the stars, then minutes before the game Lebron James is sitting out and you're watching a bunch of bench players. Kind of a let down for those who dont have a hundred dollars to blow on a whim. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I read an article a while ago that nfl also considering 18 week season with 2 bye weeks to help teams and players to stay healthy.  

I look at it as, Lebron James is coming to your city and youd like to watch him play. That ticket is a premium cost due to the Lakers coming. so you're paying more than normal. You take your 10 year old son who loves the NBA and the stars, then minutes before the game Lebron James is sitting out and you're watching a bunch of bench players. Kind of a let down for those who dont have a hundred dollars to blow on a whim. 
I see your point, and again that's what has been going on for years. Not everyone got to see Kareem at the end of his career depending on the night that he suited up.

Honest question. What if you take your son to a Packer game in week #6, and Rodgers was injured in the first few weeks of the season. Everyone in the NFL is trying to so the smart thing to do is fill him full of pain killers and have him hobble around the field for two months. OR if he were required to rest for two weeks anyway..... actually let the man rest up and be the REAL Aaron Rodgers for the rest of the season and you and your son get to enjoy watching a healthy Aaron Rodgers. 

For the people making the "I just wanna watch the stars argument"(not just saying you Dr. Dan) do you factor into the equation that if these players weren't trotted out there injured without breaks to let themselves heal they might actually be able to play an extra season? Or Two? You might be able to actually see more games of the star if they were better able to manage their injuries over the course of their career. Yeah, I know Brett Favre was a medical miracle. And the upside of that amazing anomaly? An addiction to pain killers. Who'da figured?

Ultimately my point is I would be just fine watching a game or two of backups mixed in if these players weren't physically WRECKED by the age of 45. As much as I wanted to watch Jr Seau play every Sunday, I could have watched David Griggs make two starts.... while still seeing a rested/healthier Seau start 16 games. I can't say for sure if Seau would still be around if he were able to take occasional breaks to heal from the rigors of an NFL season. I am convinced that it wouldn't have hurt. That either makes me the biggest stooge in the world for sitting through two weeks of David Griggs on the field or it makes me a compassionate human being that looks at the people on the field as human beings. Anyway, I'll get off my soap-box. There is a large contingency of NFL fandom that is against almost any change, certainly change as big as this. It's always been an 'ol boys network that insist that you should NEVER go for a two-point conversion unless it's at the end of the game and you are down by two. But if there is any wiggle room to make changes shouldn't we prioritize the compassionate ones if we claim to really be fans of these players?

I've also liked this idea for a few years...

I really don't see any significant drawbacks, and there are lots of positives, especially for the league itself (owners and players).

Sure it may muck with FF, considering possible last minute player-bye announcements, but I really don't think that would be too common. Plus, we already have to do a ton of this with all the game time decisions we deal with from week to week. That said, don't you think we'll know based on the practice week who is going to start/sit? Do you really think some coach is going to try to be all sneaky and give his normal starter all their usual reps, and then sit him in favor of the player that didn't get nearly as much practice with the week's scheme, etc.? In fact, this could possibly even lessen the number of times we have to watch the actives/inactives. Banged up players will probably be ruled out ahead of time much more often.

Also, I really like this for the QBs. Any team that's been without a franchise QB for a while should. This will give a lot more experience and exposure to a lot more QBs

For the folks in the "fans pay to see Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers" boat. You still get that 16 times per regular season. You're not getting less opportunities. I can see the complaint for the scenario where you buy individual tickets to one specific game, just to see Star-player-X. That could burn some people, but I don't think it's that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Some other minor things I like about this, some of which have already been touched on... A healthier player base overall (not so minor, actually); More strategy (someone above listed some of the different approaches teams could take); Preservation of some historical integrity (seasonal records); More meaningful football/less pre-season garbage;

Anyone that thinks this idea was concocted with the player's health in mind is sorely mistaken.  This is 100% about money, nothing more.  Rest periods are built into all sports already, based on the physicality of that sport.  For example, baseball players can play 2 games in one night, because the physical demands are alot less than other sports.  Ripken's 2632 consecutive game streak would equate to 164.5 years in the NFL.  Chamberlain played all but 8 minutes in the 1961/62 season, and that was only because he got ejected with 8 minutes left in a game.  There are examples for every sport, including football.

What if a player wants to play in all 18 games?  Is mandatory rest needed for every position?  Punter Jeff Feagles will tell you no, as he played in every single game for 22 straight seasons.  Just lengthen the season by adding bye weeks, not by forcing healthy players to watch from the sidelines as the local janitor dons his jersey.

Anyone that thinks this idea was concocted with the player's health in mind is sorely mistaken.  This is 100% about money, nothing more.
I don't think anyone is debating that the push for 18 games is all about money. That is obvious. This is just a compromise that happens to have player health as a major benefit.

I don't think anyone is debating that the push for 18 games is all about money. That is obvious. This is just a compromise that happens to have player health as a major benefit.
The problem is, no it doesn't.  What does forcing a kicker to sit 2 out of 18 games have to do with his health?  Are kickers going to extend their careers by 5 more years?  No.  The time between games is sufficient rest for any kicker, and if it isn't, he is surely injured.

Ok, lets use hockey goalies. Do you want to pay your money to see the best goalie on the team, or the backup? In the NHL the #1 goalie only starts ~2/3rds of the games. It is by far the single most important position on the ice.
While i don't follow hockey, i highly doubt people decide whether to go to the game based on who the goalie is.

The problem is, no it doesn't.  What does forcing a kicker to sit 2 out of 18 games have to do with his health?  Are kickers going to extend their careers by 5 more years?  No.  The time between games is sufficient rest for any kicker, and if it isn't, he is surely injured.
Ok, I concede... This will not have any significant impact to kicker health. You're spot on.

Ok, I concede... This will not have any significant impact to kicker health. You're spot on.
I went to the extreme to prove a point - every position in the NFL has different demands on the body.  Sure, some positions require longer rest periods, but to force any healthy player who is willing and able to sit for a game (for his own good) does not make sense.  What about the backup players, like a RB who only comes in for 2 carries a game?  Does he need more than a week's rest?

It's the mandatory rest that I disagree with.  Remember when you were a kid and Mom would say, it's 8pm, time for bed?  But Mom, I ain't tired yet.  Shut up and go to bed!

I see your point, and again that's what has been going on for years. Not everyone got to see Kareem at the end of his career depending on the night that he suited up.

Honest question. What if you take your son to a Packer game in week #6, and Rodgers was injured in the first few weeks of the season. Everyone in the NFL is trying to so the smart thing to do is fill him full of pain killers and have him hobble around the field for two months. OR if he were required to rest for two weeks anyway..... actually let the man rest up and be the REAL Aaron Rodgers for the rest of the season and you and your son get to enjoy watching a healthy Aaron Rodgers. 

For the people making the "I just wanna watch the stars argument"(not just saying you Dr. Dan) do you factor into the equation that if these players weren't trotted out there injured without breaks to let themselves heal they might actually be able to play an extra season? Or Two? You might be able to actually see more games of the star if they were better able to manage their injuries over the course of their career. Yeah, I know Brett Favre was a medical miracle. And the upside of that amazing anomaly? An addiction to pain killers. Who'da figured?

Ultimately my point is I would be just fine watching a game or two of backups mixed in if these players weren't physically WRECKED by the age of 45. As much as I wanted to watch Jr Seau play every Sunday, I could have watched David Griggs make two starts.... while still seeing a rested/healthier Seau start 16 games. I can't say for sure if Seau would still be around if he were able to take occasional breaks to heal from the rigors of an NFL season. I am convinced that it wouldn't have hurt. That either makes me the biggest stooge in the world for sitting through two weeks of David Griggs on the field or it makes me a compassionate human being that looks at the people on the field as human beings. Anyway, I'll get off my soap-box. There is a large contingency of NFL fandom that is against almost any change, certainly change as big as this. It's always been an 'ol boys network that insist that you should NEVER go for a two-point conversion unless it's at the end of the game and you are down by two. But if there is any wiggle room to make changes shouldn't we prioritize the compassionate ones if we claim to really be fans of these players?
Yes I think fans get set on the game they get to watch/attend vs the big picture. I guess for me, my opinion will be in the minority because I really dont care too much about sports. I enjoy them, but I'm not a die hard fan that watches every week and gets bummed when my team loses. So I couldnt really care less if Rodgers retired at 38 vs 39 or 40. Life goes on and these guys typically tend to have trouble fitting through doorways at that point of their career anyways. I admit, I'm the wrong guy to ask that rhetorical question to. 

I think its interesting to see so many people immediately against this without thinking about what the difference would be with the NFL today. Most players sit out one or two games anyways whether its rest or injury. This wouldnt be much different except for those super durable players who start every game of their career, which is unusual it seems. 

Personally I'm in favor of 2 bye weeks and an 18 game season. 

Ok, lets use hockey goalies.
Hockey goalies are a straw man - if the NHL had a 16 game season the starting goalie would play all the games.

My biggest issue with the proposal is forcing teams to sit players during games in a 16 game season.

Why? I'm very curious as to why this part bothers people.

We see it pretty often in week 17, and I don't recall anyone being up in arms.
We never see the NFL forcing teams to rest players in week 17, that is a choice the team makes to benefit themselves.  I have no problem with teams resting players, i have a problem if it is mandated from the league for any reason.  The league would be forcing teams to put a sub-optimal product on the field.

Why? I'm very curious as to why this part bothers people.

We see it pretty often in week 17, and I don't recall anyone being up in arms.
No team, and I mean no team, rests players in week 17 when their playoff lives are on the line.  Can you imagine a team being forced to start a backup in the most important game of their season, when the starter is completely healthy?  Now, I haven't run all the analytics about it, but if we assume all players on a team are healthy to start a season, doesn't it seem reasonable that all teams would do the same thing, whatever that may be?  Perhaps the season would end up just being 2 preseason weeks, followed by 16 "real" games.

I got a better idea - 106-man rosters, Team A & Team B alternate games, no need for bye weeks, as every player gets 2 weeks rest between games.  Heck, if we do that, you could have 20 game seasons with no byes at all.  You could even give out the award like the NBA gives out for 6th man, and call it "Best Scrub".

No team, and I mean no team, rests players in week 17 when their playoff lives are on the line. 
Nobody said they did.

Can you imagine a team being forced to start a backup in the most important game of their season, when the starter is completely healthy?
Nobody would be forced to do this. They would have chosen to do it with their actions earlier in the season.

Now, I haven't run all the analytics about it, but if we assume all players on a team are healthy to start a season, doesn't it seem reasonable that all teams would do the same thing, whatever that may be?  Perhaps the season would end up just being 2 preseason weeks, followed by 16 "real" games.
I don't think so. Sure maybe a couple teams, due to whatever reasoning, may just use the first two weeks as warm-ups, but I doubt many would even consider it. What I think most teams would do is use the player byes in the middle of the season. You don't want to use them too early in case the player gets banged up, because then you've wasted them. You don't want to use them too late, because the games get more and more important. I could see a lot of teams using them before and after their bye for a variety of reasons. I think we'd see a lot of QBs rested after the team's bye because of all the extra practice reps you could give the backup. So, in short, no, I really don't think we'd see the league all doing the same things resulting in 2 weeks of sub-par football.

I read an article a while ago that nfl also considering 18 week season with 2 bye weeks to help teams and players to stay healthy.  
Wow you mean they may wake up and realized that was a good idea...back in 1993? These people are such idiots. I remember that year when they went to 2 bye weeks. Sweet, another extra fantasy game and 1 extra NFL week. Then they went full blown stupid again and cut it back to 1 bye week.

As far as this stupid idea, (it won't happen but) you just wont see the big names in the final 2 weeks if they have a playoff spot locked up. You won't see Brady vs the weakest team on the schedule, they would have to designate the guys well before the start of the game.

A 16-game, 19-week season with three evenly spaced bye weeks solves all of these problems. More TV money from the longer season, players play the same number of games and get more rest throughout the season, and you aren't forced to sit any players if you don't want to.

ETA: And you get the added benefit of cutting the preseason to two weeks to make it fit in the same time frame, so you'd have less opportunities for injuries in meaningless preseason games.

A 16-game, 19-week season with three evenly spaced bye weeks solves all of these problems. More TV money from the longer season, players play the same number of games and get more rest throughout the season, and you aren't forced to sit any players if you don't want to.

ETA: And you get the added benefit of cutting the preseason to two weeks to make it fit in the same time frame, so you'd have less opportunities for injuries in meaningless preseason games.
I like this idea if the league wants more that 17 weeks of regular season TV games.  For FF, would still need to expand rosters a wee bit to handle more bye weeks, but at least there would be no "mandatory" rest weeks. 

The NFL did a 16 game, 18 week season in 1993. It went so poorly that the following year, the league went back to a 17 week schedule.  I don't see how a 19 week schedule will work well.

The NFL did a 16 game, 18 week season in 1993. It went so poorly that the following year, the league went back to a 17 week schedule.  I don't see how a 19 week schedule will work well.
Yeah, but that was a different era in sports, relatively speaking. TV money was nowhere near what it is today and "bigger is better" in the owner's eyes. More money = happy owners.

Plus, this is less demanding physically on the players than the current design. By allowing time during the season to heal from the everyday wear and tear, you could actually be extending careers and probably lessening the severity of some of those injuries that can occur throughout the season (i.e. playing on a sprained ankle and making it worse, etc.) 

Expand the rosters by a few players and that also makes the players' union happy (more jobs). Most of those new jobs would be players getting the league minimum, so the ever-growing salary cap shouldn't be affected negatively by the larger roster size.

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution (nothing is), but it's a lot better than anything else I've seen proposed. 

While i don't follow hockey, i highly doubt people decide whether to go to the game based on who the goalie is.
If you did follow hockey I think that you might be surprised on how much of the success of the team they are going to watch hinges on how well the goalie plays and who is playing goalie that particular night. At least as much as a starting NFL QB.

In 1992 total league attendance was 13.135 million. In 1993 total league attendance was 13.295 million. In 1994 it was 13.469.... so the growth in attendance seemed to be steady growth. So the fans must not have thought it went poorly.

The owners want more revenue so I don't see how a 19 game schedule will not work out well for them.

The networks would love to show more games for the giant TV deals they sign with the NFL and can sell more advertising. Again, I don't see anyway it won't go well for them.

The players will get more rest throughout the season and don't play in any more games than they did before, if anything being able to sit while injured instead of pumping their bodies full of pain killers. As many have suggested this might lead to larger rosters and more jobs for the players. I don't see how this doesn't work well for the players.

For all the ancillary businesses that make money off an NFL game night(bars, parking garages, restaurants, convenience stores around the stadiums, etc) I doubt they will be troubled that there is an extra home game or two on the schedule.

When you say, "I don't see how a 19 week schedule will work well"....... who are you talking about? It won't work well for who?

We never see the NFL forcing teams to rest players in week 17, that is a choice the team makes to benefit themselves.  I have no problem with teams resting players, i have a problem if it is mandated from the league for any reason.  The league would be forcing teams to put a sub-optimal product on the field.
Don't look at it that way. This isn't the NFL forcing teams to sit starters. This is players agreeing in the CBA that they will only have to play 16 regular season games per year, despite there being 18 games in total.

The owners want 18 games (to some extent, I think we all do). The players don't want to increase the beating on their bodies. This proposal achieves both desires. And, the added benefit is an uptick in player health overall, as players will know they have to sit a couple games per year, so they won't be so inclined/pressured into suiting up if they are 80%.

The other thing I wonder about, which I haven't seen brought up, is what if they get rid of the bye week altogether as part of this plan?

18 games over 18 weeks, compared to 16 games over 17 weeks. That doesn't affect the overall calendar as much (1 extra week added to the regular season as opposed to two.) It also allows teams to kind of pick their rest periods, instead of the league schedule determining it. (Sometimes byes come at bad times, and the teams just have to deal with it.)

For fans of teams, I think this would be great. I hate the bye week for my Bills. I like watching other games, but nothing compares to watching my team each and every week.

In 1992 total league attendance was 13.135 million. In 1993 total league attendance was 13.295 million. In 1994 it was 13.469.... so the growth in attendance seemed to be steady growth. So the fans must not have thought it went poorly.

The owners want more revenue so I don't see how a 19 game schedule will not work out well for them.

The networks would love to show more games for the giant TV deals they sign with the NFL and can sell more advertising. Again, I don't see anyway it won't go well for them.

The players will get more rest throughout the season and don't play in any more games than they did before, if anything being able to sit while injured instead of pumping their bodies full of pain killers. As many have suggested this might lead to larger rosters and more jobs for the players. I don't see how this doesn't work well for the players.

For all the ancillary businesses that make money off an NFL game night(bars, parking garages, restaurants, convenience stores around the stadiums, etc) I doubt they will be troubled that there is an extra home game or two on the schedule.

When you say, "I don't see how a 19 week schedule will work well"....... who are you talking about? It won't work well for who?
and with those same dollar signs in the owner's eyes, they still went from 18 weeks to 17 weeks.  The owners didn't changed their minds because they had too much money back then.

As for the bolded - seriously?. You can't tell me they care about player health and safety while telling them they have to play Sunday and then play Thursdays. Rest instead of painkillers? Will they be swimming in a rejuvenation pond as well during their magical week off that will cure their aches and pains?

Adding a few extra roster spots and bumping the salary cap up $10-15 million which will probably all go to the QB is something I don't think the players will want.

The other thing I wonder about, which I haven't seen brought up, is what if they get rid of the bye week altogether as part of this plan?

18 games over 18 weeks, compared to 16 games over 17 weeks. That doesn't affect the overall calendar as much (1 extra week added to the regular season as opposed to two.) It also allows teams to kind of pick their rest periods, instead of the league schedule determining it. (Sometimes byes come at bad times, and the teams just have to deal with it.)

For fans of teams, I think this would be great. I hate the bye week for my Bills. I like watching other games, but nothing compares to watching my team each and every week.
If the players wouldn't do 18 games during the last contract negotiations, then what makes you think they'll want it now with even more information and knowledge about health and concussions?

If the players wouldn't do 18 games during the last contract negotiations, then what makes you think they'll want it now with even more information and knowledge about health and concussions?
I don't understand your question. This isn't about the players 'doing' (playing) 18 games. They are staying at 16 games. Can you elaborate?

As for the bolded - seriously?. You can't tell me they care about player health and safety while telling them they have to play Sunday and then play Thursdays.
I totally agree with the Sunday>Thursday thing regarding player health. That said, I think that sentiment has been gaining steam the past year or two. I've heard a lot of clamor for Thursday games to only come after a week off, but that poses logistical problems. The league would have to eliminate Thurs games in weeks 2 thru the week after the first round of byes. They obviously wouldn't want to lose a few Thurs games in there, but if they want to be serious about player health, they should.

That said, they could also implement this change and put it into the hands of the teams to make their own choices regarding their players. If you get stuck with a Sun>Thurs, you can opt to rest any players that may need it, knowing that other teams down the line are going to have to rest some of their players at times.

(But, as an aside, even if something like this doesn't go into effect, I really think they need to go to a model where Thurs games only involve teams coming off a bye. I doubt that will happen, but it's my preference.)

I totally agree with the Sunday>Thursday thing regarding player health. That said, I think that sentiment has been gaining steam the past year or two. I've heard a lot of clamor for Thursday games to only come after a week off, but that poses logistical problems. The league would have to eliminate Thurs games in weeks 2 thru the week after the first round of byes. They obviously wouldn't want to lose a few Thurs games in there, but if they want to be serious about player health, they should.

That said, they could also implement this change and put it into the hands of the teams to make their own choices regarding their players. If you get stuck with a Sun>Thurs, you can opt to rest any players that may need it, knowing that other teams down the line are going to have to rest some of their players at times.

(But, as an aside, even if something like this doesn't go into effect, I really think they need to go to a model where Thurs games only involve teams coming off a bye. I doubt that will happen, but it's my preference.)
The Thursday game itself needs to be eliminated.  It's rarely a good match up, both teams are in poor shape, and nobody wants to stay up til midnight on a Thursday.

The Thursday game itself needs to be eliminated.  It's rarely a good match up, both teams are in poor shape, and nobody wants to stay up til midnight on a Thursday.
Well, I can't agree with that. I'm fine staying up until midnight for TNF (if the game is compelling enough), so that's one, to counter your 'nobody'. I'm sure there are plenty of other folks in the non-Eastern time zones that have no problem staying up for the TNF game.

Also, in my younger years I was wishing for TNF, FNF, 2 or 3 games on Saturday, the full slate of Sun games, to go with MNF. Now that I have three young kids I'm glad that's not the case, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would indeed still love that dose of NFL.

Posted 10 hours ago

11 hours ago, Blue Thunder said:

I like this idea if the league wants more that 17 weeks of regular season TV games.  For FF, would still need to expand rosters a wee bit to handle more bye weeks, but at least there would be no "mandatory" rest weeks. 

I don't have much new to add. This solves all problems. Players play 16 games and all of their players play every game they are healthy for. League gets 2 extra weeks of games for TV revenue - more for players and owners to split up. It adds a little bit more time for players to recoup and play healthy with 2 extra bye weeks. No impact on whether to expand rosters. It would even be easier to have teams only play Thursday nights after a bye - since there would be far more of them. Far, far better than 18 games with players forced to sit twice.  

It might happen occasionally, just like the San Antonio Spurs were criticized when they rested several starters on the end of a road trip. If the end of the road trip ended with back-to-back games toward the end of Duncan's career he would rarely play in the second game. And those fans didn't get to see Tim Duncan play that night.

People act like this doesn't happen all throughout sports already.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying what I could see happening. As others have alluded to, maybe the teams with a Sun-Thur turnaround opt to rest their starters for one of those two games.  Or let them take an extra week of rest off a bye to allow backups more practice time to prep for a game.  Essentially, I think teams would synchronize the games they would take out their key players (like starting o-line with their QB1).

To clarify, I'm against the two game rest mandate. I'm all for adding in rest, but I like the idea of more bye weeks rather than forced resting during games.  With so few games, each outcome has a much greater impact than other sports. If you are a borderline playoff team all year, you would hate to get to the end of the season and be forced to rest key players vs. having more rest built into the schedule that doesn't impact standings.  Perhaps the compromise to an 18 game schedule is adding in additional bye(s).

Another potential problem is who gets to decide when the mandatory rest games are? If a player is healthy, can he choose which game(s) he wants to sit out?  That could cause some serious rifts between players and teams/NFL.  Imagine an instance where the SNF is a big rivalry or clash of top QBs and the players opt not to play...

This wasn't the first we have heard of this.  Heard about this like a month ago.  I said back then fantasy football would be crushed by this.

Another potential problem is who gets to decide when the mandatory rest games are? If a player is healthy, can he choose which game(s) he wants to sit out?  That could cause some serious rifts between players and teams/NFL.  Imagine an instance where the SNF is a big rivalry or clash of top QBs and the players opt not to play...
I think the only way that would happen is if the player were to say he had an injury that he really didn't have. And if you really think about it, he could just do that now if he really wanted to. Doesn't happen much if at all imo because somewhere down the line it would cost him money and pride.

Otherwise I would assume the team would decide who rested when. Just like the team decides who gets to start a game now..... unless a player pretends to be injured I guess. But I don't think that happens.

I could live with additional team bye weeks as well, especially if it meant we saw healthier players on the field. Watching the shell of Aaron Rodgers last year was pretty awful. In that circumstance he still would have limped around for a month before his first "team bye" came up. That's the only reason I think "player bye weeks" make more sense. Injuries rarely adhere to a strict schedule.

If there were multiple team by weeks throughout the season it would be easier to schedule Thursday night games only AFTER that team had a bye week. That way the players have more time between games to recover and teams have more time to prepare for their next game as the following Sunday is more than a week away. Again, everybody wins.

I agree that "short week" games are of a lower quality and are bad for the health of the players. 

Don't look at it that way. This isn't the NFL forcing teams to sit starters. This is players agreeing in the CBA that they will only have to play 16 regular season games per year, despite there being 18 games .
Even if you choose to look at it this way, the product on the field will be less than what it is now because starters will have to sit games when they are healthy

Most teams decide to bench their stars for the "unwinnable" games (i.e. NYG benching Saquon vs NE), so they will have a better chance at winning the "winnable" games.  Before you know it, all the best teams are facing backup players, and all the worst teams are facing all the starters.  That is a very likely scenario, making for some very lopsided games, and inflating the records of already good teams.  You literally could have a team that faces 16 backup QB's.

Again, my only real complaint is the FORCED benching of healthy starters.

Teams would either have to roster a 2nd kicker and punter, or teach another positional player to do it.  The starting kicker gets laces out by the backup holder.  The next thing you know, they are making a movie out of it.  

I just now sent this email to Roger Goodell (and forwarded it to the NFLPA as well). We'll see if they read it and respond. I figured it was worth a shot. Let me know what you guys think.

A Detailed Plan For an 18-Game Season That Should Work For Everybody

Mr. Goodell,

I believe that I have a plan for the NFL schedule that could make all parties happy. Please indulge me by reading the entire email as I hope that you will find this to be true as well.

Part A - Schedule length and bye weeks

You could implement an 18-game, 21-week schedule with three evenly spaced byes during the season. Since the owners seem sold on an 18-game schedule with more traveling to neutral sites involved, it only makes sense for the players to have more time during the season to recover. If you cut the preseason to two games, then this would only add two weeks onto the end of the year time wise.

Bye weeks could be grouped like this:

Group 1 = off weeks 4, 9, 14

Group 2 = off weeks 5, 10, 15

Group 3 = off weeks 6, 11, 16

Group 4 = off weeks 7, 12, 17

Group 5 = off weeks 8, 13, 18

No bye during weeks 1-3 and weeks 19-21

Part B - How to determine the opponents for the two new games

For the two new games, I recommend that you think regionally and create two non-conference “rivalry” games. One of the games would be an international rivalry game and the other would be a “hometown” rivalry game. The rival team match-ups would be the same from year to year, therefore building an actual rivalry between the two teams. Here’s an example…

The Cowboys (NFC) two rivals would be the Texans (AFC) and the Chiefs (AFC). The Texans would also add the Saints as their second rival, the Saints add the Titans, etc. Alternate years between international and hometown games. I have added a list of my recommendation for the rivalries at the bottom of this email.

Cowboys vs. Texans (in San Antonio year 1, Austin year 3, Waco year 5 and international in years 2, 4, and 6)

Cowboys vs. Chiefs (in Norman year 2, Tulsa year 4, Stillwater year 6, and international in years 1, 3, and 5)

If the Cowboys happen to be playing the AFC West in that year’s rotation, then they just play the Chiefs twice – or the Texans twice if they play the AFC South. Teams already play two games per year against their divisional opponents, so doubling up against their regional rival once each every four years shouldn’t be an issue.

By utilizing college stadiums, you can truly make NFL fandom even more widespread and more regionally effective. Also, by using geographically close teams, many Cowboys fans that live in Dallas would be willing to drive a few hours to Austin or Norman to see their favorite team beat the hated Texans or Chiefs. Many fans in Austin or Norman would get the opportunity to see their favorite NFL team play in their hometown. Who wouldn’t like that?

Imagine the Lions and Browns alternating games in Ann Arbor, Columbus, Canton, and East Lansing… the Saints and Titans alternating games in Baton Rouge, Knoxville, and Oxford… you could use anywhere from 2 to 4 host cities based on the realistic options located between the two teams.

Part C - When to schedule the rivalry games

This would mean that there would be 16 international games and 16 rivalry games each season. The three evenly spaced byes would make scheduling issues more easily solvable, especially if you use the Thursday night, Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Monday night time frames wisely.

International games could be scheduled during the week before a bye, either on Sunday morning (Eastern hemisphere host city) or Sunday or Monday night (Western hemisphere host city) and regional rivalry games could be scheduled for Thursday nights after a bye in order to work around the college stadium that is being used, especially if you can’t find a week when that host college team is on the road. It sounds like a lot until you remember that each team is only affected twice and there are only 32 total games of this manner.

If you schedule the 32 games during the fifteen bye weeks (weeks 4 through 18), that would mean that you would have three rivalry games for two weeks and two rivalry games for the other thirteen weeks. Which week is which would be left up to the availability of the venues that are being used. If scheduled efficiently, you would only have one week in which there would be two international games.

This would also allow the beginning (Weeks 1-3) and end of the season (Weeks 19-21) to be used strictly for more conventional games as teams strive to get off to a fast start and/or finish the season strong. You could have two of the first three and two of the last three be divisional games with the other two divisional games somewhere towards the middle of the season, making all parts of the season (early, middle, and late) important.

Part D - Positives for everyone

The owners should like this as there would be more revenue being generated by both a longer TV contract (21 weeks versus 17) and a percentage of the extra gate money from the rivalry games, both regional and international. As things currently stand, due to the international games, there are always a couple of teams that only have seven true home games. This new schedule would even the playing field by allowing each team to keep their all eight of their home games and everyone is expected to travel internationally once a year.

The players should like the three evenly spaced bye weeks, which would allow for more rest time during the season. Players that have a sprained ankle, for instance, would have more opportunities to let it heal instead of having to play injured and running the risk of aggravating the injury further. This could also lead to players having a longer career overall since they wouldn’t be playing injured as often. You could also allow more IR-Designated to Return slots as there would be a greater chance of return due to the longer season. If you expand the rosters by a few players to help with the longer season, this would create more jobs (making the players happy). Most of those added players would probably be playing for the league minimum, so it shouldn’t negatively affect the increased salary cap much (again making the owners happy). Players should see a general increase in compensation since they are playing 18 games now instead of 16 and they aren’t being arbitrarily forced to sit out for two of those games. No one needs to sit out at all if they don’t want to.

The networks would be happy because a longer season means more football games, which means more ad revenue. Also, NFL games usually receive relatively high ratings, so more games means more frequently high ratings.

The league would benefit from the popularity of being physically present in so many new markets (both foreign and domestic). That could mean a LOT of great things for the NFL.  

The fans would benefit from two more games from their favorite team and the opportunity to travel (both locally and abroad) twice a year to watch their team play in a different setting if they so desire. The smaller-market fans have a more realistic opportunity to see their relatively local NFL team play once a year in a city much nearer to them.

I hope that you receive this email in the spirit that it was intended. I love football and the NFL and I want to help to see it be the most successful version of itself that it can be. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,

Blue Thunder (I used my real name here though)

Team           Rival #1  &   Rival #2

Arizona = Denver &  Houston

Atlanta = Tennessee  &  Jacksonville

Baltimore = Washington &  Carolina

Buffalo =  Philadelphia &  Detroit

Carolina =  Cincinnati  &  Baltimore

Chicago =  Indianapolis  &  Pittsburgh

Cincinnati =  Minnesota  &  Carolina

Cleveland  =  Detroit   &    Green Bay

Dallas  =  Houston  &   Kansas City

Denver  =  Arizona  &  San Francisco

Detroit =  Cleveland &  Buffalo

Green Bay = Cleveland & Pittsburgh

Houston = Dallas & Arizona

Indianapolis = Chicago & Minnesota

Jacksonville = Atlanta & Tampa Bay

Kansas City = Seattle & Dallas

Las Vegas = Seattle & LA Rams

LA Chargers = LA Rams & San Francisco

LA Rams = LA Chargers & Las Vegas

Miami = New Orleans & Tampa Bay

Minnesota = Indianapolis & Cincinnati

New England = NY Giants & Philadelphia

New Orleans = Miami & Tennessee

NY Giants = NY Jets & New England

NY Jets = NY Giants & Washington

Philadelphia = New England & Buffalo

Pittsburgh = Green Bay & Chicago

San Francisco = Denver & LA Chargers

Seattle = Kansas City & Las Vegas

Tampa Bay = Jacksonville & Miami

Tennessee = New Orleans & Atlanta

Washington = Baltimore & NY Jets

The list of rivals above isn't perfect. For instance, I would like to see the Eagles and Steelers as rivals, but this was the best overall geographic fit that I could come up with.

Faust said:
Math must not be his strong suit. In the old schedule fans have the potential to see "the stars" 16 games. With the new schedule the fans have the potential to see "the stars" 16 games.

Nobody talks about the fact that if a player was injured for two weeks and used those two weeks as his bye, in week 17 and week 18 they could actually be on the field. You would actually have a better chance to see the stars play 16 games. Right now there are 16 opportunities for a player to be healthy and play a game. In an 18 game schedule with player byes instead of team byes there would be 18 opportunities for a player to be healthy for 16 games. You might actually see MORE stars in the games.

Users who are viewing this thread