What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Using cell phone overseas (1 Viewer)

boots11234

Footballguy
I am going to Thailand and HK for work.  I am also taking personal time to see things.  What is the best way to communicate while there and use data?  I have an old android i was thinking about buying sim card for so that i could use data.  is that possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
unlock your phone , its free to do in Canada but not sure for the states
then buy a sim there : I paid 600 baht (24 CDN) for unlimited data for a month
when I got to shanghai bought a sim there that was a little more expensive 

get these apps for travelling

map.me (download the maps ahead of time so you can use offline)
google translate ( download the language  ahead of time so you can use offline)
WhatsApp , great for communication when traveling overseas 
expressvpn for china so you can use gmail ,facebook , twitter and Instagram 

unlock your phone , its free to do in Canada but not sure for the states
then buy a sim there : I paid 600 baht (24 CDN) for unlimited data for a month
when I got to shanghai bought a sim there that was a little more expensive 

get these apps for travelling

map.me (download the maps ahead of time so you can use offline)
google translate ( download the language  ahead of time so you can use offline)
WhatsApp , great for communication when traveling overseas 
expressvpn for china so you can use gmail ,facebook , twitter and Instagram 
Whats map.me?

boots11234 said:
Whats map.me?
its an app for maps

same as google maps but I prefer it when walking around a city 
way more detailed imho - it has shown me water refill stations in Italy , back alleys/shortcuts and I use it for hiking 
download the area before hand so you can use it off line if you don't have unlimited data 

I’m overseas now. AT&T is my carrier. We added overseas coverage for ten dollars per phone for a month. It covers something like 100 different countries.

I’m overseas now. AT&T is my carrier. We added overseas coverage for ten dollars per phone for a month. It covers something like 100 different countries.
My brother and his wife just did this for two and a half weeks to go galavanting around Europe. Solid deal, no fuss. We, on the other hand, used Vodaphone SIM cards and were never right the whole trip. There was clearly a way to do it, and a way not to. SIM was not short for simple.

Did the same thing while in Australia ... works great and didn’t notice any change in service.

Seems to be the easiest route; wouldn’t bother with SIM cards etc.

boots11234 said:
I have att. For 10 bucks a day, i have unlimited data 

Going to Europe tomorrow for 2 weeks. will cost around $150 but worth it. 

Eta: should have read. Already answered 

Yep, if you’re looking for simplicity... $10/day to use your existing package/number. It only charges when you use it (use triggers a 24hr pass for $10). 

Putting it on WiFi only on days when you don’t need it will help avoid charges on some days. 

Getting a local SIM can save some cash but can be tricky and likely will change your number, if I’m correct. 

Yep, if you’re looking for simplicity... $10/day to use your existing package/number. It only charges when you use it (use triggers a 24hr pass for $10). simplest but can be costly if you over use it 

Putting it on WiFi only on days when you don’t need it will help avoid charges on some days. and airplane mode with wifi 

Getting a local SIM can save some cash but can be tricky and likely will change your number, if I’m correct. you are correct it changes your number . only a problem if you need calls or texts . totally save a tons of cash for long trips , break even for short trips . not that tricky , the store does it all for you . WhatsApp , facetime and messenger make having a local sim work perfectly  

you are correct it changes your number . only a problem if you need calls or texts .
For me, calls and texts are a big part of why I have a phone. 

If money is tight, and you are only concerned with keeping in touch with a couple folks, and they’re willing to switch to WhatsApp for a week or however long you’re gone, sure. 

The list of people I’d need to notify, personally and professionally, is just too large... and I’d rather not inconvenience them with having to download the app and use it to talk to me. Not to mention alarm system calls, lawn guy, etc. 

For me, if I’m spending thousands on a week long international trip, the extra $40 over a SIM to have my phone work seamlessly is worth it. Plus you’re not having to hunt down the SIM, buy it, change it out & set it up, keep up with your original SIM all week. :shrug:  

If I was going for a month or more, I’d likely get a SIM or a local phone and forward calls. Thankfully there are options that fit everyone’s needs. 

For me, calls and texts are a big part of why I have a phone. 

If money is tight, and you are only concerned with keeping in touch with a couple folks, and they’re willing to switch to WhatsApp for a week or however long you’re gone, sure. 

The list of people I’d need to notify, personally and professionally, is just too large... and I’d rather not inconvenience them with having to download the app and use it to talk to me. Not to mention alarm system calls, lawn guy, etc. 

For me, if I’m spending thousands on a week long international trip, the extra $40 over a SIM to have my phone work seamlessly is worth it. Plus you’re not having to hunt down the SIM, buy it, change it out & set it up, keep up with your original SIM all week. :shrug:  

If I was going for a month or more, I’d likely get a SIM or a local phone and forward calls. Thankfully there are options that fit everyone’s needs. 
I totally agree if calls and texts are needed switching sims would be a mistake and also agree there are so many options 
just like travelling there is no right way or wrong way , there is just what you prefer and works for you

if calls and texts are critical and 2nd phone will a local sim is an option and just use your personal phone for calls and texts

on a side note , its interesting that WhatsApp is  used more in Europe and Asia then north America 

I mentioned this in another thread, Tep Wireless worked great for me on a recent trip and I plan on using it again on an upcoming trip. Portable wifi hotspot. $10 a day and can handle up to 5 devices. No phone or text but unlimited data.

I totally agree if calls and texts are needed switching sims would be a mistake and also agree there are so many options 
just like travelling there is no right way or wrong way , there is just what you prefer and works for you

if calls and texts are critical and 2nd phone will a local sim is an option and just use your personal phone for calls and texts

on a side note , its interesting that WhatsApp is  used more in Europe and Asia then north America 

Yep! What’sApp is huge outside the US. I have used it heavily when travelling for business to communicate with coworkers. Group messaging function is great when traveling with a couple folks too. 

Just went to italy for 2 weeks and needed my phone number for calls and text.  I use page plus and they do not offer international roaming.  I ported my number to google fi and it worked well.

The people I took my trip with told me that AT & T for Continental Europe (so you might want to check Asia) was $60/monthly for talk and text. 

Users who are viewing this thread