What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me with a career choice for my daughter (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
My daughter is 29 and is about the hardest worker I have seen.  Right now she is working for Dunkin as a manager - but it's kind of a dead end career path for her.

She had a child at 17.  Got her GED.  Office skills are poor but she is a wiz with numbers and handling cash and organization.

What are some good ideas on careers that might get her into the $18-$20 dollar an hour range?

Thanks to all serious replies.

Does she actually enjoy the management aspect of dealing with people? Is she good at it?

Career paths...assuming no college education? Might be tough without going back for a degree....but the market is good, i would seek out perhaps office managers at small businesses that can pay well. 

Inventory control manager perhaps?

Restaurant managers can get paid 6 figures. But the hours can be tough.

Medical marijuana industry. One of the companies in South Florida starts at $16 per hour for an associate, but a college degree would help with advancement. Campaign workers get $15 to start, and managers get paid 4 to 5 grand per month.

My daughter is 29 and is about the hardest worker I have seen.  Right now she is working for Dunkin as a manager - but it's kind of a dead end career path for her.

She had a child at 17.  Got her GED.  Office skills are poor but she is a wiz with numbers and handling cash and organization.

What are some good ideas on careers that might get her into the $18-$20 dollar an hour range?

Thanks to all serious replies.
Accounting Office or Paralegal.

The most prosperous route is the 4 year degree in accounting. Because that allows you to take the CPA exam.

If school is off the table, there is still a chance to work at a CPA Office and work up the ranks through experience. Doing the actual work for 3+ years on a daily basis is worth as much as a degree. These offices are run by rich accountants who value consistency and loyalty. They'll pay a good receptionist $20 - 25 an hour if she's a superstar.

Otherwise taking some kind of Associates in Paralegal Studies or something of that junction would open a lot of clerical and administrative jobs.

There are jobs in healthcare but those jobs stress out women pretty badly. But the pay is generally good.

If you're willing to lend up the money for the note, she could become a notary pretty easily. Another great business to be in, opens the doors to real estate and titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work with a paralegal who has no college degree. He makes probably 150k in NYC after overtime. He’s the best paralegal I’ve ever worked with. Super hard worker and minds the details well and takes pride in getting it done right. The hours can be hard. 

Why isn't she making her own career choice?  
This a valid question but I assume that the OP is trying to help.  

What does she want to do?   What interests her?   Once you two figure out what she wants to do, you may want to work together to form a plan that includes some school or formal training.  

I work with a paralegal who has no college degree. He makes probably 150k in NYC after overtime. He’s the best paralegal I’ve ever worked with. Super hard worker and minds the details well and takes pride in getting it done right. The hours can be hard. 
Generally, good paralegals have good office skills. 

Restaurant managers can get paid 6 figures. But the hours can be tough.
This is what I was thinking. If she’s just looking to increase her salary and doesn’t mind the food service business, with her experience she could get a higher paying management job at a restaurant I would think. But would evening hours be difficult given her 12-year-old?

Post Office. 

She can start as a a carrier and work up to a manager. Starting out she will work as a carrier. Once she becomes regular, she will get good benefits and pension.

We tried to get our son to do the same before he decided to get a welding degree. She could look at a trade job. Local community college could be a cheaper option. My sons degree is going to cost around $8k.

Accounting Office or Paralegal.

The most prosperous route is the 4 year degree in accounting. Because that allows you to take the CPA exam.

If school is off the table, there is still a chance to work at a CPA Office and work up the ranks through experience. Doing the actual work for 3+ years on a daily basis is worth as much as a degree. These offices are run by rich accountants who value consistency and loyalty. They'll pay a good receptionist $20 - 25 an hour if she's a superstar.

Otherwise taking some kind of Associates in Paralegal Studies or something of that junction would open a lot of clerical and administrative jobs.

There are jobs in healthcare but those jobs stress out women pretty badly. But the pay is generally good.

If you're willing to lend up the money for the note, she could become a notary pretty easily. Another great business to be in, opens the doors to real estate and titles.
In most states nowadays, just a bachelors degree in accounting isn't enough credits to let you sit for the CPA exam.  Many have to get their masters and then take the exam.

As the manager of a Dunkin now, is she NOT making $18-$20/hr currently? 

I would have guessed managers there make at least $40k.

Realtor? It’s commission-based and hours can be wonky (e.g. open houses every weekend), but it’s a legit career with opportunities to work with/for a firm or hang her own shingle at some point. 

Realtor? It’s commission-based and hours can be wonky (e.g. open houses every weekend), but it’s a legit career with opportunities to work with/for a firm or hang her own shingle at some point. 
Agree. I was going to say a property manager for renting apartments/condos and houses.  

Your daughter sounds like my wife. Only went to high school. Worked years in retail. She's a dental claims examiner. Makes in the 40s. Not exciting work or anything but it's 9-5 with great benefits. 

At 29 who wants more school? I would skip that because if she’s a great store manager she doesn’t need it anyway. Her work performance shows more to an employer imo.

I would look for a good management job outside of food. Like someone said, office manager, movie theater, clothing store? Or get in at a solid local business like a trucking company office, manufacturer office, etc. 

Hard workers who can think are invaluable. She should always be on the lookout and cultivating new opportunities. 

As the manager of a Dunkin now, is she NOT making $18-$20/hr currently? 

I would have guessed managers there make at least $40k.
They pay her about $32k salary but the hours effectively make it considerably lower than $16 per hour

They pay her about $32k salary but the hours effectively make it considerably lower than $16 per hour
Gotcha. Maybe she can roll that experience into another retail manager position that pays more.  

Not saying she's ready for it but I think Walmart store managers make six figures. 

My brother managed Arbys, Marie Calendar restaurant, toys or us, and 7-11 without a college degree. He made much more than $32k, but did work long hours. 

Users who are viewing this thread