What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Poll - What % increase in salary would cause you to move out of state for a new job? (1 Viewer)

How much percentage change in income would it take to move to a different state (say halfway across

• 0% - I would move without any change inn income

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • 10% increase

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • 20% increase

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • 40% increase

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • 60% increase

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • 80% increase

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • 100% increase

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • 100%+ increase

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • I would never move, regardless of salary bump

Votes: 11 11.6%

• Total voters

The Z Machine

Footballguy
Asking for a friend...

Assumptions:

- The new position is equivalent or a small step in your career progression.

- The new city is the same cost of living as where you are now.

- You have no friends or family in the new city, and the closest friends / family are a 10+ hour drive or a flight away.

- Your partner (if you have one) can do their job remotely, keeping their current position, although working from a distance would put a damper on their career prospects.

- The new location has basically the same amenities and cultural opportunities as where you are now.

Last edited by a moderator:
More to life than money...

What do I think of the new company?  Do I get the feeling I will be just as happy or happier in the new environment?

How's the pizza and BBQ in the new area?

Am I near a beach?

How's the weather?

Am I near a major airport?

Will my partner nag me for years on end for making her move there?

Current salary is important. 

10% increase on $35k is much less than 10% increase of $150k. 

Moving costs paid by new company? Sell of home in old city?

More to life than money...

What do I think of the new company?  Do I get the feeling I will be just as happy or happier in the new environment?

How's the pizza and BBQ in the new area?

Am I near a beach?

How's the weather?

Am I near a major airport?

Will my partner nag me for years on end for making her move there?
New company is smaller, but that means more ability to influence strategy and culture.  Comparing the cultures, the new one seems less intense and slower paced. Also, the product at the new is decidedly less sexy, but fewer competitors.

Use your current location and an imagined one.

I said 40%, probably closer to 50%. I’m not really tied here though and have no kids. 

Honestly thats about the bump it would take for me to work in an office again. Telecommute 4 Lyf. 

I said 40%, probably closer to 50%. I’m not really tied here though and have no kids. 

Honestly thats about the bump it would take for me to work in an office again. Telecommute 4 Lyf. 
Are you married? I ask because if no, then you're unmarried, childless, and telecommuting. The next question I'd ask is if you got lonely and what you do about it?

The assumption of same cost of living takes out of the running those few cities I’d even be remotely interested in uprooting my life to move to. So I went with 100%+.

Are you married? I ask because if no, then you're unmarried, childless, and telecommuting. The next question I'd ask is if you got lonely and what you do about it?
Married, but childless, do have two dogs. 

I’ve been telecommuting for almost 8 years (ages 29-37). The first year was tough, going from a job with a ton of interaction to basically turning the switch completely off. Now, with time I’ve met people in my company and so the phone meetings provide interaction and I do meet with clients in person maybe 25x a year.  After the first year I just got used to it and find it to be a huge value add now. I walk the dogs at lunch, I can keep the tv running during the day or whatever. It would take a lot for me to be fine working in an office again. 

I’ve been telecommuting for almost 8 years (ages 29-37). The first year was tough, going from a job with a ton of interaction to basically turning the switch completely off. Now, with time I’ve met people in my company and so the phone meetings provide interaction and I do meet with clients in person maybe 25x a year.  After the first year I just got used to it and find it to be a huge value add now. I walk the dogs at lunch, I can keep the tv running during the day or whatever. It would take a lot for me to be fine working in an office again. 
Yeah, sounds good. I think if I were in your position, I'd dig it, too.

Yeah, sounds good. I think if I were in your position, I'd dig it, too.
The other thing I’d say is that while I did make some good friends in my prior job, by and large my office experience was avoiding gossips and busy body types.  I got stuck for an hour nearly every day listening to people’s family problems and stuff like that. 

The other thing I’d say is that while I did make some good friends in my prior job, by and large my office experience was avoiding gossips and busy body types.  I got stuck for an hour nearly every day listening to people’s family problems and stuff like that. 
I always worked in research positions or behind-the-scenes stuff where I was really isolated. I sort of thank my stars that my social outlets and experiences did not involve any bit of corporate or work culture.

My wife says she thinks she'll feel isolated and lonely if she were working from a home office every day.  Combined with a longer winter, that is a major concern for me.

Another factor is if I lose that job are there similar jobs with a similar pay rate in the area or is this just a one shot bump.    I'd hate to feel like I ever needed one job in particular.  Its nice knowing that if you lose your job you can fine pretty much the same job in a hurry.    It helps a lot with not getting stressed out with the demands of a job.  

It depends where you live and what industry. There are really only 3 metropolitan areas I would consider living in because that is where 95% of the jobs in my industry are.  Sure, other areas have a sprinkling of companies, but if you get laid off there, you are guaranteed to be moving because nothing else is around. It is a volatile industry, so companies going under is pretty common. 

I think the new location actually has more opportunity than the current location for my type of work.

FYI, I haven't gotten an offer yet. 

Tough call. I’ve never uprooted my family and so glad I held my ground. At one point I got passed over for an SVP of Sales role because I wouldn’t move from CA to Alabama. They hired another guy who was a disaster, fired him and promoted me without the move. Sales is a bit different as we likely can live anywhere. 

But I’ve seen plenty of people uproot a family and move only to get canned a year later.  That house they sold in CA? More expensive now. 

If no family or friends consideration then it would have to be a lot more money and a better ceiling. Plus a great place to live. 

It would take a lot for me to uproot my family.  Essentially, I would need a job to uproot my family.  In your scenario, I voted for 40% with the assumption that you are making at least $100k.   I would at least kick it around for that increase.  

My wife says she thinks she'll feel isolated and lonely if she were working from a home office every day.  Combined with a longer winter, that is a major concern for me.
given this news, no amount of money would be enough. she's telling you "no". 

long winters are just brutal. we just got out of a December - MAY winter. it's soul sucking. i'd take a 25% pay cut to move somewhere without winter. right now. this instant.

No amount could make me move; daughter is going into junior high and her fourth year of preprofessional ballet. She’s excelling in all her STEM classes but if she foregoes college to pursue a performing arts career, she has an ideal path to that.

BUT 20 years ago - not a great comp to the OP’s parameters - I left the suburbs of Detroit and big four public accounting to become a accounting/finance executive. 50% salary increase plus an equity stake in an established (5+ years) startup in hyper growth mode. I badly miscalculated the difference in cost of living, but made such a good first impression at my new firm that within a month - after closing a round of financing - I negotiated an additional raise that equates to doubling my salary.

Moving to NYC was the biggest risk I ever took. Ultimately it turned out to be the best possible career move (IMO), but in hindsight it was very stressful. That first startup (four years until we had a successful exit) was, by far, the best work experience of my career. 15+ years later, we still hold reunion dinners, companywide and for my department. Lifelong alliances were formed and I worked with or did business with many of my colleagues at the next company.

given this news, no amount of money would be enough. she's telling you "no". 

long winters are just brutal. we just got out of a December - MAY winter. it's soul sucking. i'd take a 25% pay cut to move somewhere without winter. right now. this instant.
Yea, this part doesn't sound good. I voted 40%, but if my wife didn't want to work remote and didn't think she could find a similar job with an actual office in the new city, I think that would kill the deal regardless of the salary bump. 

All else being equal and it was a move purely for money, I wouldn't do it for less than 50% at this point in my life...maybe more. That being said, 10 years ago I made a move for well less than that, and there are places I'd move to for 0% increase.

All things aren't equal.  You aren't happy in your current job otherwise you wouldn't be interviewing, so that's something.  As far as a new company, here are some things I'd move for:

* more interesting city.  If you don't have kids and/or other family where you are, why not see a different part of the country?

* Better opportunities for advancement.  Sometimes you get stuck in a rut and it's good to change things up.

* More opportunities outside of present job.  My town doesn't have a whole lot going for it in my line of work.  If things go sour (again), I'd want to be somewhere where things are happening.  Silicon Valley is the prime example.

*More interesting product.  I've found I work much more effectively if I feel like my product can actually make a difference for the general population as opposed to simply affect the bottom line.

If you wanna talk your way thru things, feel free to PM me.

I doubt any realistic bump. We have family and friends with established roots here and an almost 2-year-old whom everybody adores. I want him to have those family/friend relationships. I wouldn’t want to uproot that and start over for some extra money. Who cares. We make enough. 

I am applying for jobs across the country right now, 10% in salary and we are gone. Assuming the job is decent.

My wife's family and my family are currently a plane flight away, and we should probably move closer.

I might move north to Seattle for a 400% increase. My wife's industry is centered in our current city so I may end up being the sole source of income if we move.

Same job, environment, and COL, but far away from family and friends - so this boils down to how much monetary value you place on close relationships? There's probably a number, but it's a lot. I'll say ~10X my salary, so I could retire in a couple years and move back.

Would have to double or triple my salary or more.  And even then it wouldn't be an easy decision, and it would have to be a state nearby so we're still within driving distance of family.

Earlier in my life it wouldn't take much at all, we moved with the job for twenty years. 

Now, we've been here over 4 years, we've established roots, two kids in high school, one in middle School, one in elementary, one in pre School, best school district in the state and probably one of the best in the country (let's say top 10%), great support network especially for our daughter, within two hours of the in laws, growing City (too fast honestly).  Our backyard is attached to a decent greenway, we can walk to the elementary school without crossing the road, easy drive from the Smokies, lakes nearby, 5 hours from the beach, my favorite airport is 7 miles from my front door.... The more I think about this the more I know there's no way we'd move for money.

We're financially stable, even doubling my salary wouldn't change our daily lives, though we'd vacation/ travel more. 

I won't say never, but you'd have to offer enough that I'd wonder why the mafia wants me to be their attorney. And then the question would be how to leave without getting killed.

After kids are grown we might move, but not for another 13 years.

I won't say never, but you'd have to offer enough that I'd wonder why the mafia wants me to be their attorney.
Nice touch here. 

eta* just a compliment. Would you be moving to Memphis?

I’m with others, family and friends all here.  Four kids in middle and high school.  Maybe after they are all out on their own in 10 years but not before that.  With no kids I would consider for a 60%+ bump as it would accelerate my retirement and I could always move back.

I did this same kind of thing for about 3 years. There are some things I miss about, mostly listed above, but I'm not sure I could do the full time telecommute thing again. Of course it would depend on the job I was doing. The one then was ideal for it. Now, it could be done, but I prefer the separation of home and work. Work isn't that far from home so other than the odd days of something stupid happening traffic wise, this is better.

Also, I voted no increase necessary. My kids are about out of the house, going some place new would be fun/interesting for my wife and me. I'd probably even be willing to take a pay cut if the right opportunity and location was set before me...

I did this same kind of thing for about 3 years. There are some things I miss about, mostly listed above, but I'm not sure I could do the full time telecommute thing again. Of course it would depend on the job I was doing. The one then was ideal for it. Now, it could be done, but I prefer the separation of home and work. Work isn't that far from home so other than the odd days of something stupid happening traffic wise, this is better.

Also, I voted no increase necessary. My kids are about out of the house, going some place new would be fun/interesting for my wife and me. I'd probably even be willing to take a pay cut if the right opportunity and location was set before me...
We're going to start telework 1 x per pay period, which is good,  Full time would be different.  On one hand, I envision sitting at a bar on the beach working and enjoying the scenery.  In reality I'd probably be sitting in my dining room, half naked, eating cheetos. 

Current salary is important. 

10% increase on $35k is much less than 10% increase of $150k. 

Moving costs paid by new company? Sell of home in old city?
The reverse is also true. Once you make enough to pay for everythign comfortably, an increase in salary has way less effect on you standard of living.

The reverse is also true. Once you make enough to pay for everythign comfortably, an increase in salary has way less effect on you standard of living.
That's kinda where we are now. My wife and I have more or less equal incomes, which allows us to live comfortably, although we're likely not saving enough for retirement or kids college. I would also love another week vacation and using that more $$ to do bigger vacations abroad would be nice.

NutterButter said:
i presumed we were talking about similar job satisfaction between jobs
Sure. My point was more that if you're satisfied in your job and current life situation you're less likely to make a move solely so you could retire earlier. 

I’d never say never but even doubling my salary I’m not sure I’d want to move.  All of our friends and family live close
This. My dad moved in 1985 (moved back in 2000) and said leaving was a terrible decision that he still regrets. Its definitely out of the question in the short term as I have a high schooler and middle schooler (in addition to a college kid) who I would never pull out of school at this point. 

I voted 40% based on the assumptions in the OP.

Life is all about making things the best you can for you and your family.  I think a 40% bump in annual salary, all other things being equal can put you on a quicker track to prosperity and afford you the opportunities to enjoy some of the finer things in life.  

It's strange to me that people wouldn't move for anything.  It's also strange to me that in this day and age that the majority of people live within 15-18 miles of where they were raised.  Look, I'm not a heartless person, I love my family and have a vast network of friends I have kept in touch with for decades.  But, in the end, this is my life.  Everyone branches off in their own way.  I moved 20+ years ago and never looked back.  I probably talk to my parents now more than I did when I lived 20 miles away.  Sure, I don't see them nearly as much, but when we do spend time together I cherish it that much more.  I keep in touch with my friends as best I can, but let's face it, life moves on.  Careers, children, marriages, divorces and so on.  My life is all about, well, me.  My spouse, my children, our futures.  I know life is not all about money, but it is all about being able to try to do better for your kids (if you have them) or yourself.  I wouldn't want to become a burden for anyone else, so I need to maximize my earning power/potential and honestly, the younger the better.

All that said, I think the most important thing is to make sure your partner is 100% on board with the decision.  If they are not, a salary percentage increase is not going to change their mind.  I think I was fortunate that my spouse was not opposed to making a leap of faith with me and I am sure it was the best decision we ever made.

There are a lot of factors beyond the money that would come first.

Is it a good time to move for the kids?

Wife career?

Am I closer/further to family?

Desirability of new locale (weather, beach/mountains, etc).

eta - assuming these are all yes or a plus, I voted 40%.

Users who are viewing this thread