What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colorado protesters replace U.S. flag with Mexican flag (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
AURORA, Colo. (CBS4)– Hundreds of protesters gathered in Aurora on Friday evening to march to the ICE detention facility where illegal and undocumented immigrants are being housed. They also removed the U.S. flag, replaced it with a Mexican flag, and spray painted graffiti on a Blue Lives Matter flag before it was seen flying upside down on the flag pole.

This comes before planned ICE raids in Denver and 10 other cities nationwide.

The protesters say they are demonstrating against the treatment of the people living inside. The Blue Lives Matter flag was vandalized with “Abolish ICE” in spray paint.

Trigger Warning: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/07/12/protests-ice-aurora-immigration-raids/

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of points: 

1. Protestors for rights for undocumented immigrants have long used the Mexican flag. There is nothing new about this. The more extremist ones have done stuff before like removing the American flag; this doesn’t help their cause IMO (which is a good one also IMO). 

2. If I am correct the “blue lives matter” flag is the USA flag with a dark blue stripe meant to honor the police. I like that flag, I have close friends who have one (their daughter served in the police force) and it’s not meant to be a refutation of Black Lives Matter (at least not in its original intent.) Its really sad that someone chose to vandalize it. 

3. As with Trump supporters, as with every popular movement in this country, I urge people not to judge its nature by the actions of the most extreme members. I am quite confident that the vast majority of those protesting simply want better conditions for the migrants in those camps. 

AURORA, Colo. (CBS4)– Hundreds of protesters gathered in Aurora on Friday evening to march to the ICE detention facility where illegal and undocumented immigrants are being housed. They also removed the U.S. flag, replaced it with a Mexican flag, and spray painted graffiti on a Blue Lives Matter flag before it was seen flying upside down on the flag pole.

This comes before planned ICE raids in Denver and 10 other cities nationwide.

The protesters say they are demonstrating against the treatment of the people living inside. The Blue Lives Matter flag was vandalized with “Abolish ICE” in spray paint.

Trigger Warning: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/07/12/protests-ice-aurora-immigration-raids/
What bothers me the most about this is that it ultimately hurts the cause and helps Trump get votes.

2. If I am correct the “blue lives matter” flag is the USA flag with a dark blue stripe meant to honor the police. I like that flag, I have close friends who have one (their daughter served in the police force) and it’s not meant to be a refutation of Black Lives Matter (at least not in its original intent.) Its really sad that someone chose to vandalize it. 
It absolutely was meant as a refutation of BLM, back when everyone was blaming the movement for the spike in violence on law enforcement officers.   It's typically accompanied by the Punisher skull auto decals around here anyway.  I don't think defacing it is productive but I would also really hope we aren't flying it at ICE facilities either.

It absolutely was meant as a refutation of BLM, back when everyone was blaming the movement for the spike in violence on law enforcement officers.   It's typically accompanied by the Punisher skull auto decals around here anyway.  I don't think defacing it is productive but I would also really hope we aren't flying it at ICE facilities either.
Sounds like the protesters put it up per DWs link. 

I don't think they should fly BLM flags at govt buildings if they are.  Only American and State flags.

Justice Scalia would have agreed.
I'm all for free speech until someone says something I disagree with, then it is dangerous.  I condemn speech that could threaten the safety of others, but don't condemn the actual violence against people I disagree with. I'm for love...

Couple of points: 

1. Protestors for rights for undocumented immigrants have long used the Mexican flag. There is nothing new about this. The more extremist ones have done stuff before like removing the American flag; this doesn’t help their cause IMO (which is a good one also IMO). 
That seems like a really dumb PR move...I might be in complete support of their overall cause, but taking another country's flag as your symbol is a good way to get me to ignore your (the general “your”) specific group

Users who are viewing this thread