What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYC Blackout (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Got an email from my work that power is out to our building in midtown, and some of my GBs are reporting it’s more than just midtown. Sounds like it could be much of Manhattan?  How the heck does such a widespread blackout happen there?

Seeing the reports on CNN and Twitter now too  

Also it’s the 42nd anniversary of the big blackout of 1977. 

:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s cool, it’ll be back on tomorrow. 

If not, the average New Yorker is well prepared for extended periods without power or other services :thumbup:  

Risk of Boogaloo: 2.3%

Got an email from my work that power is out to our building in midtown, and some of my GBs are reporting it’s more than just midtown. Sounds like it could be much of Manhattan?  How the heck does such a widespread blackout happen there?

Seeing the reports on CNN and Twitter now too  

Also it’s the 42nd anniversary of the big blackout of 1977. 

:unsure:
NYC is such a different place now compared to 1977.  Even it lasted 2 nights, it'd probably be ok.

Russians or Chinese, amirite?
Latvians imo.

A transformer fire caused a  large-scale power outage in parts of New York City Saturday evening, knocking out traffic lights, stalling elevators and limiting subway service.

As of 8:45 p.m. Saturday, Con Edison reported that more than 45,000 customers were without power in an area that included Midtown Manhattan and the Upper West Side. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority tweeted that there were outages at various underground stations and trains were bypassing stations impacted by the power failure and service into Manhattan from Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx would be limited

Nm...news saying midtown and parts of uws.

But LES Evil is fully powered.
My daughter's building is out. I'm hearing 42nd to 72nd, Fifth Ave ot the Hudson River. Times Square is dark, some subway stations are out but trains are still running (they're just bypassing the stations without power.

I'm not traveling until 8am so hopefully it will be restored. But sounds like I should be able to get to Penn Station without any issue.

I was living UWS then, but out of town for the weekend.  So bummed to miss it.  Heard from neighbors that it was an awesome party.
2003 was great. I was in Boerum Hill then and had a small brownstone apt with a private garden. We fired up the two Weber grills and told anybody walking by to bring any perishables over & we'd cook it for them. Met a bunch of neighbors I otherwise wouldn't have and got to know people in my building who had never done more than nod at the mailbox. It was awesome backyard bbq.

Also, it was close enough to 9/11 that we all did some reminiscing about having to walk home again (most took the Brooklyn Bridge both days.) One of my neighbors was in a train that stuck in the tubes under the river and they had to walk along the tracks about 1.5 miles following behind MTA workers with flashlights. But yeah, it was kind of magical....like, for one night at least, everyone acted like they lived in a small town and looked out for one another, instead of the cool detachment you usually get from neighbors or fellow straphangers.

A transformer fire caused a  large-scale power outage in parts of New York City Saturday evening, knocking out traffic lights, stalling elevators and limiting subway service.

As of 8:45 p.m. Saturday, Con Edison reported that more than 45,000 customers were without power in an area that included Midtown Manhattan and the Upper West Side. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority tweeted that there were outages at various underground stations and trains were bypassing stations impacted by the power failure and service into Manhattan from Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx would be limited
Upon hearing the news, President Trump signed an executive order deporting Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, and the rest of the Autobots back to Cybertron.  "We have the safety of hardworking American people to think about!, he tweeted.  "If they can't control themselves, they can leave. Sad!". 

Getzlaf15 said:
Why is this news?  Outages occur everywhere all the time.
While the inconvenience factor is basically the same as in any city and greater than any rural area, the $$$ factor is exponentially greater

Users who are viewing this thread