What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bruce Springsteen or Bob Seger (1 Viewer)

Who Do You Prefer

• Bruce

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Bob

Votes: 67 43.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 14 9.1%

• Total voters
Seen them both live.  Know both catalogues pretty well.

For me it's Bob Seger and not close.    

I wouldn't take a single Springsteen song over any of Seger's songs below.  The guy is so underrated.

1.  Shame on the Moon

2.  You'll Accompany Me

3.  Fire Lake

4.  Against the Wind

5.  Still the Same

6. Night Moves

Seger’s early years are a study in great lost rock albums. Of his first 7 albums, six fell out of print and were never reissued as CDs. I have a vinyl copy of Tales of Lucy Blue, which I just learned from the internet was re-titled Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man.He had a lot of disputes with Capital and bad distribution deals with other labels, which many people blamed on Punch Andrews. But he was always loyal to his manager and stuck with him. I *think* Seven was the first Silver Bullet album. All I know is they really hit their stride with Beautiful Loser, and Live Bullet is one of my all time favorite concert albums (I generally don’t like live albums.)

I distinctly remember my sister returning home from a year studying abroad I felt compelled to excitedly tell her in the airport how wildly popular he had become because of Night Moves. As often happened at that stage of life, I became disinterested in any release after that. Same thing with Genesis until The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Kansas through Masque, Supertramp up to Even in the Quietest Moments, et al - I loved their songwriting until they found commercial success; once they started charting, I moved on to the next discovery.

Seger seems relatively formulaic after the tenth album. I still enjoyed him and he puts on a great show, but by then I was more into other bands.

Springsteen was a mythical figure in my junior high years, someone rumored to be wildly popular on the East Coast. Listening to the first two albums I didn’t really understand why, but Born to Run changed my mind.

Saw them live four times and for a time in the late 80s / early 90s I was deeply immersed in listening to every album in his catalogue, to the point of obsession. He released a couple albums - maybe simultaneously? - without E Street around 1992 and I completely lost interest in any release he did after that.

Both are great rockers, I think Brice is a better lyricist but as a guilty pleasure I just enjoy rocking out to Seeger more, especially the early stuff. 

Not really part of the equation but ESB dominates SBB:

Lead guitar - Drew Abbot v Steven Van Zandt 

Sax - Alto Reed v Clarence Clemons 

Drums - Charlie Martin v Max Weinberg

As personas, I think Seger is pretty laid back, earthy, not especially pretentious. He lives on a lake in NW Oakland County near some friends of mine, and while they don’t know him, everyone out that way says he’s a pretty normal. The Boss is a little extra, a little too intense, highly opinionated, arrogant.

Just my take, isn’t really part of the OP’s Q but just saying that I listen to Seger & easily identify with his music thematically. Springsteen stirs something altogether different, and whereas Seger’s lyrics feel familiar and soothing, Bruce’s lyrics are more incisive. I appreciate the depth he presents, but at the same time, it almost feels misplaced. Man, sometimes you really don’t want a song that makes you think too much. But that’s what great art does - it makes you a bit uncomfortable, and confronting that, you learn something from a perspective you hadn’t considered before.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be somewhat regional too.  Springsteen seems to enjoy more popularity in the Northeast whereas  Seger may be more popular almost everywhere else.

Surprised by the love for Seeger.  His stuff is just ok for me and honestly Bruce isn’t that far above him but my perception of how people view the two is Bruce is in a tier above Seeger.  May need to give Bob a listen at the pool today.

I would not really call myself much of a fan of either, and I probably like about the same amount of songs by both, but Seger has a few songs I actively dislike (Old Time Rock N' Roll, Her Strut, Like a Rock), so I'll give the Boss the edge. 

I love them both but went with Springsteen. Bigger catalog and better lyrics. This takes nothing from Seger. Roll me away is one of my all time favorite songs. I can get lost dreaming to that song.

I would not really call myself much of a fan of either, and I probably like about the same amount of songs by both, but Seger has a few songs I actively dislike (Old Time Rock N' Roll, Her Strut, Like a Rock), so I'll give the Boss the edge. 
I also dislike those songs quite a bit.  

I wouldn't take a single Springsteen song over any of Seger's songs below.  The guy is so underrated.

1.  Shame on the Moon

2.  You'll Accompany Me

3.  Fire Lake

4.  Against the Wind

5.  Still the Same

6. Night Moves
You didnt even mention his best song 

Turn the Page.  :wub:

It's the Boss and it's not even close.  His Lyrics alone qualify him as a bona fide poet.  That clip floating around on the innerwebs, of a fan holding a sign requesting "You Never Can Tell" by Chuck Berry, was a perfect example of Bruce going above and beyond for the fans. He spent a good five minutes talking the band into trying to play it and they tried and pulled it off.  You probably won't see Bobby doing that or playing four hour shows either.  He's called the Boss for a reason.  

I found it.

Boss gonna Boss

1.  Shame on the Moon

2.  You'll Accompany Me

3.  Fire Lake

4.  Against the Wind

5.  Still the Same

6. Night Moves
Jungleland

Rosalita

Racing in the Street

Point Blank

Thunder Road

Probably more, but that's a start. And I like those Seger songs too.

Seger’s early years are a study in great lost rock albums. Of his first 7 albums, six fell out of print and were never reissued as CDs. I have a vinyl copy of Tales of Lucy Blue, which I just learned from the internet was re-titled Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man.He had a lot of disputes with Capital and bad distribution deals with other labels, which many people blamed on Punch Andrews. But he was always loyal to his manager and stuck with him. I *think* Seven was the first Silver Bullet album. All I know is they really hit their stride with Beautiful Loser, and Live Bullet is one of my all time favorite concert albums (I generally don’t like live albums.)

I distinctly remember my sister returning home from a year studying abroad I felt compelled to excitedly tell her in the airport how wildly popular he had become because of Night Moves. As often happened at that stage of life, I became disinterested in any release after that. Same thing with Genesis until The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Kansas through Masque, Supertramp up to Even in the Quietest Moments, et al - I loved their songwriting until they found commercial success; once they started charting, I moved on to the next discovery.

Seger seems relatively formulaic after the tenth album. I still enjoyed him and he puts on a great show, but by then I was more into other bands.

Springsteen was a mythical figure in my junior high years, someone rumored to be wildly popular on the East Coast. Listening to the first two albums I didn’t really understand why, but Born to Run changed my mind.

Saw them live four times and for a time in the late 80s / early 90s I was deeply immersed in listening to every album in his catalogue, to the point of obsession. He released a couple albums - maybe simultaneously? - without E Street around 1992 and I completely lost interest in any release he did after that.

Both are great rockers, I think Brice is a better lyricist but as a guilty pleasure I just enjoy rocking out to Seeger more, especially the early stuff. 

Not really part of the equation but ESB dominates SBB:

Lead guitar - Drew Abbot v Steven Van Zandt 

Sax - Alto Reed v Clarence Clemons 

Drums - Charlie Martin v Max Weinberg

As personas, I think Seger is pretty laid back, earthy, not especially pretentious. He lives on a lake in NW Oakland County near some friends of mine, and while they don’t know him, everyone out that way says he’s a pretty normal. The Boss is a little extra, a little too intense, highly opinionated, arrogant.

Just my take, isn’t really part of the OP’s Q but just saying that I listen to Seger & easily identify with his music thematically. Springsteen stirs something altogether different, and whereas Seger’s lyrics feel familiar and soothing, Bruce’s lyrics are more incisive. I appreciate the depth he presents, but at the same time, it almost feels misplaced. Man, sometimes you really don’t want a song that makes you think too much. But that’s what great art does - it makes you a bit uncomfortable, and confronting that, you learn something from a perspective you hadn’t considered before.
Bob Seger played ay my uncles HS dances.

Boss is an easy one for me.   In all fairness, I haven't give Seger his due time but I have a hard time believing that Seger can even come close.   

It's the Boss and it's not even close.  His Lyrics alone qualify him as a bona fide poet.  That clip floating around on the innerwebs, of a fan holding a sign requesting "You Never Can Tell" by Chuck Berry, was a perfect example of Bruce going above and beyond for the fans. He spent a good five minutes talking the band into trying to play it and they tried and pulled it off.  You probably won't see Bobby doing that or playing four hour shows either.  He's called the Boss for a reason.  

I found it.

Boss gonna Boss
Awesome.   You always get your moneys worth at a boss show.  

Seger by a million (for me*).

It'd be by infinity but Dancing in the Dark is a great song.

*I appreciate that Bruce is a great talent and a much bigger star than Seger. I just don't like his sound as much and his attempt at an "Everyman" persona is phony to me.

Hollywood Nights

Even Now

The Fire Inside

Seger by a million (for me*).

It'd be by infinity but Dancing in the Dark is a great song.

*I appreciate that Bruce is a great talent and a much bigger star than Seger. I just don't like his sound as much and his attempt at an "Everyman" persona is phony to me.
I remember reading a review of a Bruce concert that was like, "there were three guitar players on stage for the whole show and I don't remember a single song where three guitar players were actually needed." 

Dancing in the Dark is one of his worst songs.
I would expect that to be said by fans of Springsteen. If I don't like the sound of his best, it makes sense I'd like one of his worst. I guess I just really like the bass line in that one.

But it's still the fastest kid at slow camp, for me.

I would expect that to be said by fans of Springsteen. If I don't like the sound of his best, it makes sense I'd like one of his worst. I guess I just really like the bass line in that one.

But it's still the fastest kid at slow camp, for me.
True. I thought I hated Springsteen until my wife introduced me to non-radio Springsteen about 10 years ago. It's like two completely different musicians. 

I tried hard to get into Sprinstein 15 years ago and bought a 2 CD box set or whatever and while I liked some of it, there are way too many slow, meandering, depressing songs with no UMPH.  I need umph. 

I never had to try very hard to enjoy Seger.  Agree with an earlier poster, Shame on the Moon and Fire Lake are terrific songs that radio didn't murder to pieces.  Old Time of RockNRoll is an abomination of a song that needs to be retired for good.  Not Seger's fault, tho....

And Turn the Page is one of the only songs I'll attempt to drunk karaoke.  Great great song.

I tried hard to get into Sprinstein 15 years ago and bought a 2 CD box set or whatever and while I liked some of it, there are way too many slow, meandering, depressing songs with no UMPH.  I need umph. 

I never had to try very hard to enjoy Seger.  Agree with an earlier poster, Shame on the Moon and Fire Lake are terrific songs that radio didn't murder to pieces.  Old Time of RockNRoll is an abomination of a song that needs to be retired for good.  Not Seger's fault, tho....

And Turn the Page is one of the only songs I'll attempt to drunk karaoke.  Great great song.
Yep, much prefer Rock & Roll Bruce to folk singer Bruce.

I’m a Michigan man- spent a lot of time in Ann Arbor where Bob is from and he ran in the same concert scene as my dad in the late 60s/early 70s but Bruce is definitely better.

As much as I like Seger, I loathe that song.

At our wedding dance, my underage drunk sister pulled the album (yes, 25 years ago) off the DJ's turntable three times yelling,  "MY BROTHER HATES THIS SONG!" 

Seger encapsulates nostalgia and hope into 4 minute vignettes. And he does it better than anyone since Dylan.

First, let me say they are both fantastic artists/songwriters.  However, if their places of birth were reversed, this probably wouldn't even be close.  Springsteen growing up in the heavily populated NJ/NY area has a huge advantage in fan base and exposure over Seger. I believe this results in him being a little overrated while Seger is vastly underrated. Springsteen was also able to surround himself with superior talent. E Street >> Silver Bullet.  But mano a mano, on a level playing field, it's gotta be Seger.

I found it.

Boss gonna Boss
Bruce has been doing that song since at least '74.

The whole "talking the band into playing it" shtick was just an act.

Also, Bob did it better.

Users who are viewing this thread