What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If the government paid you $750 per asylum seeker per day, how many at a time would you house, feed, and clothe? (1 Viewer)

How many asylum seekers in your own home?

• Total voters
Can I just keep the ones who are good at construction stuff? I have a few renovations that I've been meaning to start...

I am also assuming that you would treat them better than they are being treated. Maybe use an ankle monitor or something, but order Uber eats for everyone every night, private room or maybe two to a room.... figure probably hire a maid or two.  And still be able to quit your job and teach ESL classes during the day. 

Yes. Insurance will run you about $1000/month per person, which is roughly 4% of your fees.
What about counseling services for their trauma? What about the legal fees for when some sleezy attorney tries to sue me because the kid stubbed his toe or something? Just trying to evaluate all of the costs here. 

Yes. Insurance will run you about $1000/month per person, which is roughly 4% of your fees.
What about counseling services for their trauma? What about the legal fees for when some sleezy attorney tries to sue me because the kid stubbed his toe or something? Just trying to evaluate all of the costs here. 
Good point. Probably a good idea to throw in another $1000 per month per person for that stuff.

Since henry threw out the 750 a day figure which is the cost at places that have onsite medical, schooling, counselors, etc. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same level of services here. 

Zero.

I would have to take the responsibility for everything that does or doesn't happen with these people. It wouldn't take long and someone would complain that their room is smaller than mine. What rights do I have to hold these people if they try to leave? Congress and media would want to come through every other day to advance their political agendas. I'll pass

But, to be fair, I wouldn't take $750 a day to live with any stranger. (asylum seeker or not). This isn't the Big Brother house. 

This asumes I'd do it for 1 year, and have a steady stream of asylum seekers. I'd take care of 10 and put all of them 2 to a room in the same gentrified renovated apartment  building in Miami's upper side or Little Haiti area. My daughter says the price is about $1,250 ($20/day per person) for a nice 2 bedroom. Electricty, about $2/day per person. Internet and cable tv, about $2/day.  I'd contract with a Cuban cantina delivery service, where a large meal of choice is delivered to the door for $12 per day. This is also known as food by the pound and is large enough for lunch and dinner. For breakfast,  figure $2 per day for bananas, milk and cereal. A one time cost of $365 ($1/day) for a Wal-Mart trip to buy essential clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, towels, soap deodorant for the year. $365 ($1/day)  to deliver a bed and chairs and folding table. $150 ($0.50/day)  for 5 soccer balls. $33 per day for health insurance. Thrown in $365 ($1/day) for a laptop and $150 ($0.50/day) for a tv. $25 per day for GPS monitoring  (wild guess). We're up to $100 per day. I'd hire a licensed social worker part time and send them to a nearby Catholic school, cost about $50 per day. Now up to $150 per day.

$600 profit per day is $6000 profit per day for 10 asylum seekers? I'd quit my day job, get Obama care, and manage the business fulltime.

I'd like to see the books from the Homestead Center connected to John Kelly. 

I don't know them, their background, their motives .... could be rapists, thieves, murderers .... I wouldn't let anyone like that in my house, around my family that I don't know.I'd be shocked anyone would

Stealthycat said:

I don't know them, their background, their motives .... could be rapists, thieves, murderers .... I wouldn't let anyone like that in my house, around my family that I don't know.I'd be shocked anyone would
That's a lot of money.  For that much a few could live at my house and the family and I would go down the street to the hotel for awhile until we find another house.  Rinse, repeat, profit!! 

That's a lot of money.  For that much a few could live at my house and the family and I would go down the street to the hotel for awhile until we find another house.  Rinse, repeat, profit!! 
Isn't that what's happening now? 

The people that are housing them live someplace else.

Henry Ford said:
Just wondering.
I'm currently in a 1 room apartment.  So I would outsource. Put as many as I could in rooms at the Embassy suites, give them a 100.00 a day room service allowance and make about 500 a day per person.

I was sentenced to 12 years of Catholic school when I was kid. Wow, Christianity has changed a lot since then. 

Speaking of when I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After schoolwe'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

avoiding injuries said:
Let’s say I take in 10. Am I obligated to take in their family members too down the road?
It’s sad how some people, rather than see the parallel between these private prisons being paid $750 per day per person and not meet basic human needs that we give actual criminal prisoners, want to find silly “what if’s” and legal arguments as to the liability involved. It would be easy to take better care of these people with the money we are giving these private companies, they just don’t, and are making a big profit off of taxpayer dollars. They also donated large sums of money to get trump elected. 

Why do they need to be in holding areas? Fence in a facility, install a bunch of bathrooms and a big kitchen, I’m sure they’d be happy to take care of themselves.

parasaurolophus said:
Well i dont have on site medical or ptsd counselors so i guess i am at 0. 
You wouldn’t need on site medical because you don’t have a city of prisoners. You don’t need ptsd counselors because, in this scenario, children aren’t taken from their parents and locked up for months. 

Stealthycat said:

Have you ever traveled to a foreign country or are you too worried that they’re all rapists and murderers and since you can’t take your guns you don’t feel safe? Seriously dude, you’re fear of every person being out to harm you is alarming. Maybe someday I’ll get murdered because I’m not worried enough about it. I do spend time in Mexico every year, so that alone probably is quadrupling my chances, right? 

Henry Ford said:
It does sort of make you wonder what we’re paying these contractors this amount of money for if they can’t provide basic necessities for hygiene.
They arent having those issues at the places that are costing 750 a day. 

They arent having those issues at the places that are costing 750 a day. 
All of the children housed without adults cost $750 a day.  They found a 17 year old Guatemalan kid with a premature baby in her lap sitting in a wheelchair.  Four kids who were so ill they had to be rushed to the hospital.  One non-responsive. 

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the children housed without adults cost $750 a day.  They found a 17 year old Guatemalan kid with a premature baby in her lap sitting in a wheelchair.  Four kids who were so ill they had to be rushed to the hospital.  One non-responsive. 
Obviously money is not the issue. At $750 a day, there should be plenty. 

Based on the poll, it looks like most people would take 2-3 asylum seekers. 

What happens if there is a need for you to take 10-15 asylum seekers? This is the problem that people don't seem to understand. If you can limit the number of people coming into your home (even if you're getting paid $750 per day), why is it difficult to understand that the country needs to limit it as well. There is not an unlimited amount of space in these facilities or in your home. 

Have you ever traveled to a foreign country or are you too worried that they’re all rapists and murderers and since you can’t take your guns you don’t feel safe? Seriously dude, you’re fear of every person being out to harm you is alarming. Maybe someday I’ll get murdered because I’m not worried enough about it. I do spend time in Mexico every year, so that alone probably is quadrupling my chances, right? 
yes I've traveled - I lived in Caracas for a while even

very few people let strangers into their homes - its why most everyone has door locks, security fences, gated communities, alarm systems etc etc - to keep people we don't know OUT 

This is not true. 

Users who are viewing this thread