What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ghost Shows (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I have admitted in the past that I have an addiction to these shows.  I think they're fun to watch.  Some, anyway.  Not all.  And while I'm pretty sure 95% of what is shown is obviously fake/misleading, I find the other 5% the most intriguing.  

With that disclaimer, I was excited to see Ghost Hunters is coming back to A&E.  And to my surprise, Grant was in the commercials.  I had always thought his departure was weird, considering he had said he didn't want to say why he left.  That is a huge red flag.  But the more I saw the commercials, the more I realized I didn't see any of the other guys.  So I did a Google search for Ghost Hunters and oddly enough, the first result was that the "Ghost Hunter guys have a new show", and it's called Ghost Nation.  It comes out around the same time as Ghost Hunters, but is still on SyFy and has Jay and Steve and Dave.  

So my question is what happened between Jay and Grant?  And how did Grant get the naming rights?  I can't seem to find any details about it, but obviously there had to have been some kind of falling out.  Grant said he left to spend more time with his family.  But now he's back doing the show.  Anyone know the tea?  Or anyone excited for these two shows this August/Fall?

Sounds like someone ran out of $$$$$
You mean Grant?  I didn't even think of that.  But why not go back with Jay and revive Ghost Hunters together?  The fact that they are on different competing shows makes me think the breakup wasn't as amicable as they made it out to be.

You mean Grant?  I didn't even think of that.  But why not go back with Jay and revive Ghost Hunters together?  The fact that they are on different competing shows makes me think the breakup wasn't as amicable as they made it out to be.
Agree.

I don't think it was amicable.

Also I think a lot of stuff was staged.

Maybe that's where the trouble started.

I follow Kris Williams on twitter.  She's definitely on Team Grant. Doesn't seem to have anything positive to say about Jay.  

I'm weirdly intrigued by Ghost Adventures.   I know it's got some cheese to it, but when I try to get into any other Ghost shows they all seem EXTRA cheesy and fake in comparison.   

Agree.

I don't think it was amicable.

Also I think a lot of stuff was staged.

Maybe that's where the trouble started.

I follow Kris Williams on twitter.  She's definitely on Team Grant. Doesn't seem to have anything positive to say about Jay.  
I had said I thought Grant left because he felt things were getting to "staged" by the producers.  Because towards the end of his run, I felt like a lot of the "evidence" went from being cool things (like the shadow in the lighthouse or the figure they saw that we didn't or the camera man getting hit by his own bag in front of the Army guys).  I thought he might have been fed up with that and wanted to get back to his roots.  Which would kind of fall in line with how it's going AND with what you're saying.

I'm weirdly intrigued by Ghost Adventures.   I know it's got some cheese to it, but when I try to get into any other Ghost shows they all seem EXTRA cheesy and fake in comparison.   
That's odd to me (and not judging), but out of all of the shows, this one seems the most cheesy and trying too hard to make something out of nothing.  I haven't watched it since about season 4, but it seemed like every third show, one of the guys would get possessed.  It was strange.  And every click they hear on the recorders sounds to them like an evil entity threatening them.  Just seemed way over the top.  But, hey, they've been on forever, so people obviously love that show.  

That's odd to me (and not judging), but out of all of the shows, this one seems the most cheesy and trying too hard to make something out of nothing.  I haven't watched it since about season 4, but it seemed like every third show, one of the guys would get possessed.  It was strange.  And every click they hear on the recorders sounds to them like an evil entity threatening them.  Just seemed way over the top.  But, hey, they've been on forever, so people obviously love that show.  
EVERY house is haunted with every possible type of paranormal activity.

Heavily contrived.

To each his own though.

I only watch a few minutes of these types of shows here and there as I was flipping around for something to watch.  I love horror books and movies but don't believe in ghosts so it seems the whole idea of wandering around a house with the lights off and holding a heat detection device was kind of dumb.  Has a single episode of any of these shows come up with an ounce of verifiable paranormal activity?

I only watch a few minutes of these types of shows here and there as I was flipping around for something to watch.  I love horror books and movies but don't believe in ghosts so it seems the whole idea of wandering around a house with the lights off and holding a heat detection device was kind of dumb.  Has a single episode of any of these shows come up with an ounce of verifiable paranormal activity?
Depends on what you would rate as "proof."  And I mean that seriously.  Like I said, there was an episode of GH where they were in a lighthouse and as they ascended the stairs, you could see on the camera, this figure looking over the rails at them, then moving quickly up to the next level without using the stairs.  It was insane!  Is that actual proof?  No.  I'm sure people could argue it was something else, but if you watch the footage, it was pretty creepy.

The other one I mentioned was at an Army base where the head army guy of the base was showing the team around before shooting.  The sound guy's bag flew up from his waist and hit him in the face.  Dude started to freak out and they had to hook him up to machines because he was shaking and his blood pressure had dropped dangerously low.  They just happened to have a camera set up in that room and you could see the bag move with no one touching it.  Even the army guy was a little shaken up.  Again, proof?  No.  But pretty crazy.

My belief is that only about 5% of the "evidence" has any merit to it.  And I'm not saying it proves anything.  But it's wild enough to give me the chills and keep coming back to watch more.  Even if I have to wade through a bunch of crap to see the good stuff.

Earlier GA is good. Recent seasons I feel like they've been mailing it in. They don't even travel anymore. It's all local Vegas locations.

Best GA episode IMO is Upper Fruitland Curse. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

I recently tried to get into the new Portals to Hell with Ozzy's kid, but I only made it 3 episodes before I tapped.

I don't like psychic shows. That's why I love ghost adventures, ghost hunters. The shows with actual "hard" evidence. Stuff on film. Tons of cameras to catch stuff. With psychics you just have to take them at their word. And that's really difficult on a TV show that needs to draw ratings.

Earlier GA is good. Recent seasons I feel like they've been mailing it in. They don't even travel anymore. It's all local Vegas locations.

Best GA episode IMO is Upper Fruitland Curse. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

I recently tried to get into the new Portals to Hell with Ozzy's kid, but I only made it 3 episodes before I tapped.

I don't like psychic shows. That's why I love ghost adventures, ghost hunters. The shows with actual "hard" evidence. Stuff on film. Tons of cameras to catch stuff. With psychics you just have to take them at their word. And that's really difficult on a TV show that needs to draw ratings.
The GA movie, which got them the TV show had me on the edge of my seat.

I think that when the people doing the hunting are scared/freaking out, it actually makes the show more scary.  When the team goes in and tries to act all macho or actually isn't scared, it takes away some of the fun.  

There was a weird show with two guys on for one season.  One wore a suit and the other was blonde.  They would each take a turn spending a full night alone in a place while the other watched cameras outside.  The blonde guy would get so freaked out I thought he was going to have a heart attack and that made me nervous watching the show.

I wish more ghost hunting shows had people like that.  I don't want the guy who's not afraid to be in that "haunted" house.  I want the people who are like me, and would be crapping bricks being in that dark house looking for what goes bump in the night.

There was an episode of GH where they were in a lighthouse and as they ascended the stairs, you could see on the camera, this figure looking over the rails at them, then moving quickly up to the next level without using the stairs.  It was insane!  Is that actual proof?  No.  I'm sure people could argue it was something else, but if you watch the footage, it was pretty creepy.

The other one I mentioned was at an Army base where the head army guy of the base was showing the team around before shooting.  The sound guy's bag flew up from his waist and hit him in the face.  Dude started to freak out and they had to hook him up to machines because he was shaking and his blood pressure had dropped dangerously low.  They just happened to have a camera set up in that room and you could see the bag move with no one touching it.  Even the army guy was a little shaken up.  Again, proof?  No.  But pretty crazy.
You have any video links to the lighthouse and bag moments?

The GA movie, which got them the TV show had me on the edge of my seat.

I think that when the people doing the hunting are scared/freaking out, it actually makes the show more scary.  When the team goes in and tries to act all macho or actually isn't scared, it takes away some of the fun.  

There was a weird show with two guys on for one season.  One wore a suit and the other was blonde.  They would each take a turn spending a full night alone in a place while the other watched cameras outside.  The blonde guy would get so freaked out I thought he was going to have a heart attack and that made me nervous watching the show.

I wish more ghost hunting shows had people like that.  I don't want the guy who's not afraid to be in that "haunted" house.  I want the people who are like me, and would be crapping bricks being in that dark house looking for what goes bump in the night.
Yeah, I think you're talking about Ghost Stalkers? The guy who goes in the houses has like a punk/emo style?

Why don't these "ghosts" ever speak full volume? Why is it always some unintelligible, hair-above-silent sound that needs a hi-tech microphone to hear and a giant leap to decipher? Why do they always shoot the "ghost hunting" parts of the show in the dark?

I have admitted in the past that I have an addiction to these shows.  I think they're fun to watch.  Some, anyway.  Not all.  And while I'm pretty sure 95% of what is shown is obviously fake/misleading, I find the other 5% the most intriguing.  

With that disclaimer, I was excited to see Ghost Hunters is coming back to A&E.  And to my surprise, Grant was in the commercials.  I had always thought his departure was weird, considering he had said he didn't want to say why he left.  That is a huge red flag.  But the more I saw the commercials, the more I realized I didn't see any of the other guys.  So I did a Google search for Ghost Hunters and oddly enough, the first result was that the "Ghost Hunter guys have a new show", and it's called Ghost Nation.  It comes out around the same time as Ghost Hunters, but is still on SyFy and has Jay and Steve and Dave.  

So my question is what happened between Jay and Grant?  And how did Grant get the naming rights?  I can't seem to find any details about it, but obviously there had to have been some kind of falling out.  Grant said he left to spend more time with his family.  But now he's back doing the show.  Anyone know the tea?  Or anyone excited for these two shows this August/Fall?
you might like this...free if you have Prime

https://www.amazon.com/Demon-House-Zak-Bagans/dp/B07B5Z2L2X

Why don't these "ghosts" ever speak full volume? Why is it always some unintelligible, hair-above-silent sound that needs a hi-tech microphone to hear and a giant leap to decipher? Why do they always shoot the "ghost hunting" parts of the show in the dark?
Along the lines of why we can never see a perfect pic/video of Bigfoot.

Especially when everyone has a smart phone in their pocket.

None of it's real IMO.

And that's coming from someone who always wanted to believe in these things since I was a kid.

The modern theory is that is takes ghosts tremendous amounts of energy to do well...anything to the level that a human could sense. Speak, move an object, manifest into an apparition, etc.

As far as at night... honestly I'd just assume that lends itself to the creepy mood, it's really more just for the TV viewer.

Along the lines of why we can never see a perfect pic/video of Bigfoot.

Especially when everyone has a smart phone in their pocket.

None of it's real IMO.

And that's coming from someone who always wanted to believe in these things since I was a kid.
This is the way I feel.  I love ghost stories, I just don't believe them.  

You have any video links to the lighthouse and bag moments?
I don't.  Don't know if they stream somewhere.  The lighthouse was St. Augustine.  Season two I think.  The Armory was season 1, ep. 7.  

And then the one where Grant saw a ghost but the camera wasn't on him was I think Fort Miflin?  It was an old fort in Delaware.  His reaction was literally like he saw a ghost.  Didn't seem acted or faked.  He seemed shook.

The modern theory is that is takes ghosts tremendous amounts of energy to do well...anything to the level that a human could sense. Speak, move an object, manifest into an apparition, etc.

As far as at night... honestly I'd just assume that lends itself to the creepy mood, it's really more just for the TV viewer.
But I've heard countless supposedly real stories of poltergeist activities, some rather violent.   You would think that just once someone would be able to catch books flying off shelves, dishes crashing to the floor, etc. 

But I've heard countless supposedly real stories of poltergeist activities, some rather violent.   You would think that just once someone would be able to catch books flying off shelves, dishes crashing to the floor, etc. 
I look at it like this:  It's just as easy to believe as it is not to.  Believing doesn't affect my life negatively so why not leave 100% skepticism out of it?  Again, for the most part, I think it's almost all BS.  But I'm not going to say ghosts (or whatever it is) doesn't exist 100%.  Allowing myself to believe actually brings me some joy.  

I look at it like this:  It's just as easy to believe as it is not to.  Believing doesn't affect my life negatively so why not leave 100% skepticism out of it?  Again, for the most part, I think it's almost all BS.  But I'm not going to say ghosts (or whatever it is) doesn't exist 100%.  Allowing myself to believe actually brings me some joy.  
Fair enough.   Just because I don't believe doesn't mean I completely rule it out either.  I am just more of a "believe it when I see it" kind of guy.

So, Pascal's Wager for ghosts?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_wager

Fair enough.   Just because I don't believe doesn't mean I completely rule it out either.  I am just more of a "believe it when I see it" kind of guy.
And this was kinda me as well. I always wanted to believe these kinds of things, but I am a cautious believer with them, until I have an experience. It all fascinates me. I was lucky enough to have found that experience a few years ago. Now I know without a doubt in my own mind at least, that ghosts are real.

I still hope to see a UFO in person, and have an OBE before my days are up.

I always liked Ghost Hunters more than the rest of them mostly bc they didn’t always find something and often times they found tangible reasons for “activity”.

My favorite scene was when they were investing the Queen Mary and they heard a bunch of noise while they were touring it with their guide who was some crackpot clairvoyant wannabe. They asked her  what the noise was and she responded with something like “it’s just the ghost letting us know he’s here.” Turns out it was an active boiler. Lol. Can’t get that kind of stuff past plumbers.

Obligatory

But they do at times.  See my link above of the brick being thrown.  Other episodes do have rare instances where things are thrown from tables unexplainably, etc.

I believe Ghost Adventures guys got originally famous for their very early documentary where they captured on film a brick just catapulting itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBAiysFzLOY
Why did he run away screaming like a little girl?   The brick wasn't anywhere close to him.  If I am a ghost hunter the LAST thing I am going to do is run away from what might be a true paranormal event.  If this is indicative of the courage the people investigating the supernatural have it is no wonder they never prove anything.   Lame.

Why did he run away screaming like a little girl?   The brick wasn't anywhere close to him.  If I am a ghost hunter the LAST thing I am going to do is run away from what might be a true paranormal event.  If this is indicative of the courage the people investigating the supernatural have it is no wonder they never prove anything.   Lame.
It's fake, dude. No matter what "Slim Ritchie" says. The scariest thing about the show by miles is that there are people out there who actually believe it could be legit.

This was their first hunt.  It was a documentary.  It was all still new to them.  And I'm sure they went in thinking they wouldn't see anything.  I think it's easy to say if you were alone in a basement of a supposedly haunted building by yourself and you saw an object fly across the room, you would keep your cool.  But even without actually knowing you, that seems odd.  

When I see a reaction like this, this makes me think it's more true than a guy who hears something move in an abandoned warehouse and his first thought is, "Let's go investigate this punk."

Because if I was in there, I'd be on edge.  And not even because of ghosts.  My first thought is an animal about to attack me or a homeless guy on meth.  Then you see a flying brick and all of sudden you're wishing it was the first two things you thought of.

This was their first hunt.  It was a documentary.  It was all still new to them.  And I'm sure they went in thinking they wouldn't see anything.  I think it's easy to say if you were alone in a basement of a supposedly haunted building by yourself and you saw an object fly across the room, you would keep your cool.  But even without actually knowing you, that seems odd.  

When I see a reaction like this, this makes me think it's more true than a guy who hears something move in an abandoned warehouse and his first thought is, "Let's go investigate this punk."

Because if I was in there, I'd be on edge.  And not even because of ghosts.  My first thought is an animal about to attack me or a homeless guy on meth.  Then you see a flying brick and all of sudden you're wishing it was the first two things you thought of.
Why was he is alone?   Why such crappy lights?   Once he realized it wasn't an animal or homeless guy on meth (assuming they did determine that) why not go back there, not only that night but over the next week or so to see if it happened again?   

All I am saying is that if I were afraid of heights I wouldn't work on ladders and if I were afraid of ghosts I sure as hell would't run away from what I saw on video.

There may be ghosts/poltergeists but this didn't do anything to convince me.   

Why was he is alone?   Why such crappy lights?   Once he realized it wasn't an animal or homeless guy on meth (assuming they did determine that) why not go back there, not only that night but over the next week or so to see if it happened again?   

All I am saying is that if I were afraid of heights I wouldn't work on ladders and if I were afraid of ghosts I sure as hell would't run away from what I saw on video.

There may be ghosts/poltergeists but this didn't do anything to convince me.   
It was a three man documentary.  They each had handheld cameras and they were all investigating different floors.  It was also in the middle of a ghost town, so there wasn't anyone within miles of their location.  Just a ghost town in the middle of the desert.  

It was a three man documentary.  They each had handheld cameras and they were all investigating different floors.  It was also in the middle of a ghost town, so there wasn't anyone within miles of their location.  Just a ghost town in the middle of the desert.  
Ok.  Have they or anyone else ever gone back to that location to verify paranormal activity?  Seems if it were a real poltergeist it wouldn't just happen once and then never again.

ETA:  According to Wikipedia they did go back and observed "considerable activity"  but it doesn't specify what that was. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.  Have they or anyone else ever gone back to that location to verify paranormal activity?  Seems if it were a real poltergeist it wouldn't just happen once and then never again.
They did during their shows.  It was around the time I stopped watching.  If I remember correctly, they had special permission to investigate the place and no one else had ever been allowed to do so.  So it was kind of like a one time thing.  I could be remembering that wrong, but I think that was the case.

FTR, once the show started, that's when Zach started to act all tough to "ghosts" and would get mad at the other two guys if they started to get scared.  Again, that's another reason I started to dislike the show.  I thought his being afraid made it more real.  I'm not watching these shows as a scientist wanting to "finally get some proof" on paranormal activity.  I'm watching it because it's fun.  And seeing someone scared in a supposed haunted house is fun to me.  Seeing someone pretend to be tough on ghosts while trying to explain to me why the device his emo friend made for him can talk with the dead is dumb.  I hate all of those fake devices.  The EVP's are the only device I find interesting.  

They did during their shows.  It was around the time I stopped watching.  If I remember correctly, they had special permission to investigate the place and no one else had ever been allowed to do so.  So it was kind of like a one time thing.  I could be remembering that wrong, but I think that was the case.

FTR, once the show started, that's when Zach started to act all tough to "ghosts" and would get mad at the other two guys if they started to get scared.  Again, that's another reason I started to dislike the show.  I thought his being afraid made it more real.  I'm not watching these shows as a scientist wanting to "finally get some proof" on paranormal activity.  I'm watching it because it's fun.  And seeing someone scared in a supposed haunted house is fun to me.  Seeing someone pretend to be tough on ghosts while trying to explain to me why the device his emo friend made for him can talk with the dead is dumb.  I hate all of those fake devices.  The EVP's are the only device I find interesting.  
I always internally moan every time they pull out that that gun that shoots the green dots everywhere and shows mini stick figures doing the cha cha.

Sometimes I wonder, what if it's not ghosts.  What if it's some 4th dimensional thing that we know nothing about?  Not saying that's more feasible, but even if ghosts as we think of them aren't real, I don't think that discounts a lot of what could be happening.

I see on the 30th, A&E is having a special about the longest ghost hunt ever and it took place at Pennhurst Asylum.  Really excited for this one considering I could probably hit a 3 iron and land it on the property.

Same reason Bigfoot has never been photographed in HD,  just ultra grainy video.

I have been watching these shows for years.   I think I've watched every single episode of Ghost Adventures.   I got hooked by watching Ghost Hunters and was bummed when the show ended.  Ghost Hunters International was good too, and there was a nice piece of eye candy on that one to boot.  Cool to see Grant is back with Ghost Hunters but several episodes in and I'm not all too impressed.  Gonna check out the "other" one with Jay and crew.  

There was one episode of GA where a ceiling fan that was sitting on a table in a basement just flies off.  If this was staged, I would suspect they'd do crap like that more often, but they don't.

I'm still a skeptic but still love watching these shows.  

Ozzy's kid's show was meh.

nirad3 said:
There was one episode of GA where a ceiling fan that was sitting on a table in a basement just flies off.  If this was staged, I would suspect they'd do crap like that more often, but they don't.
This was a good episode and definitely creepy 

Users who are viewing this thread