What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Athletes That Are Universally Respected And Liked (1 Viewer)

zamboni

Footballguy
Been meaning to start a thread like this, and the Wimbledon final yesterday between two class acts clinched it.

Roger Federer, in particular, strikes me as an athlete about whom you never hear a bad word. Seems to be universally respected and liked by rivals, fans, athletes from other sports, and just about everyone else.

Have a few more in mind, but who else would you put in the same stratosphere?

I can't think of too many currently active who are even close to Federer.

Guys like Ernie Banks, Brooks Robinson, John Unitas, Julius Erving come to mind for past generations.

Guys like Ernie Banks, Brooks Robinson, John Unitas, Julius Erving come to mind for past generations.
All good calls except for Dr. J, I think. Having an out-of-wedlock daughter kind of notched him down a peg in the public's eye, I think.

Freddie Freeman has a career split of .321/.392/.521 against my favorite baseball team yet I've never heard anyone say anything negative about the guy. He's just a big ole cuddly teddy bear.

lionel messi gets standing ovations from opponent's fans. 

also is a quiet, seemingly humble, out of the media dude who also seems to go about just trying to do his job without a lot of noise. plus is one of the GOAT. 

joe montana seemed similar (minus the standing o's from opponent fans).

lionel messi gets standing ovations from opponent's fans. 

also is a quiet, seemingly humble, out of the media dude who also seems to go about just trying to do his job without a lot of noise. plus is one of the GOAT. 

joe montana seemed similar (minus the standing o's from opponent fans).
Messi was the first that came to mind.

Almost the polar opposite to Cristiano Ronaldo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Messi was the first that came to mind.

Almost the pilot opposite to Cristiano Ronaldo.
true. rape-allegations aside, he also gets the occasional standing o from opponent's fans... but only because he's amazing at the sport- not because of the chiselled abs he routinely shows, or the name on the back of his jersey he routinely points to after scoring.

Probably should have googled this one first.

Assuming this is a joke?

Spends a lot of time acting like he's the final arbiter on basketball greatness because he dominated an eight-team league that drew from a talent pool that was infinitesimal compared to the modern era, a fact he never acknowledges.

nah
put some names down first before jumping to critic-mode, imo.

put some names down first before jumping to critic-mode, imo.
I did: Freddie Freeman and Cutch. It seems like baseball players are the best candidates in the current era for some reason.  NBA guys are just too outspoken to garner universal respect and affection, and football players are generally either not that well known or have provoked some crazy fan base by whupping on them. Pat Mahomes is a great call, though.

One from the past who hasn't been mentioned: Barry Sanders

I did: Freddie Freeman and Cutch. It seems like baseball players are the best candidates in the current era for some reason.  NBA guys are just too outspoken, and football players are generally either not that well known or have provoked some crazy fan base by whupping on them. Patrick Mahomes is a great call, though.

One from the past who hasn't been mentioned: Barry Sanders
sorry- and thanks.

huge barry fan. aren't there people who felt like he didn't do enough to lead his team to titles or that he quit too soon? thought he had an outspoken group of haters.

sorry- and thanks.

huge barry fan. aren't there people who felt like he didn't do enough to lead his team to titles or that he quit too soon? thought he had an outspoken group of haters.
Yup, good point.

Easy to confuse people who are universally respected and liked and people who should be universally respected and liked.

It seems like baseball players are the best candidates in the current era for some reason.  NBA guys are just too outspoken to garner universal respect and affection, and football players are generally either not that well known or have provoked some crazy fan base by whupping on them.
I think NHL players - maybe not so much any more in the millennial generation - would have baseball beat. 

I think NHL players - maybe not so much any more in the millennial generation - would have baseball beat. 
I agree, although I don't think many of them are well-known enough to qualify. Not a slam on the sport, just that they're behind helmets and masks all game and generally maintain a low profile off the ice.  Also hockey fans can be pretty spiteful about guys on rival teams.  I can't imagine not liking Alex Ovechkin but the entire city of Pittsburgh would certainly disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread