Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
zamboni

Athletes That Are Universally Respected And Liked

Recommended Posts

On 7/16/2019 at 7:37 AM, Jayrok said:

Arthur Ashe

This is who came to mind as I was looking through the listings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Bo Jackson

Bad temper and indecisive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Paul Molitor

Hates cheese curds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, djmich said:

Anybody say mike trout yet

Yes. No Steve Trout yet though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 8:43 PM, ChiefD said:

Bo Jackson

While I have seen a few Bama fans ask for his autograph and seemingly admire him - I know there are some Bama fans that hate him passionately. If they are willing to kill trees they can hate Bo. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 8:37 AM, Jayrok said:

Arthur Ashe

Jimmy Connors was not a fan - they pretty much hated each other butting heads over Davis Cup and ATP union. Connors was banned from French Open due in part to the fight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ffldrew said:

Jimmy Connors was not a fan - they pretty much hated each other butting heads over Davis Cup and ATP union. Connors was banned from French Open due in part to the fight.

I think we can still say universally even with Connors’ opinion. Jimmy himself was a grade A d-bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:24 PM, zamboni said:

Yes. No Steve Trout yet though. 

No Dizzy Trout either.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Struck out constantly.

172 whiffs in 1989 doesn't even sniff the top 10 in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom Servo said:

No Dizzy Trout either.

Something fishy about some of these answers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maurice Cheeks

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

172 whiffs in 1989 doesn't even sniff the top 10 in 2019.

brings to mind the great Joe D - the Yankee Clipper had 361 career HRs, only 369 career SOs ... many, many others have gaudier stats, but no one was ever more talented.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spike said:

Maurice Cheeks

 

i am the least sentimental person ever, but even i am moved by him helping that girl with the national anthem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this guy forever has my respect and well wishes and deep admiration - no matter the wrong turns he subsequently made.

who  knows how this affected him ... it may have been intregal in the demons that consumed him. 

"of all the words of tongue or pen, these four are saddest: "it might have been" 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zigg said:

Steve Nash

Friend of mine who was a cabbie in AZ gave him a ride one time. He had two younger female compatriots with him, dropped them off, then got dropped off at his own house where he scaled the wall to his own house and presumably snuck back inside.

Not a reason to not like him, just sharing. :shrug:

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zamboni said:

Just-named GM for the new Seattle NHL franchise: Ron Francis

https://www.nhl.com/seattle/fans/ron-francis

Rick Ley is phoning in from somewhere in the Middle Of Being Forgotten and is screaming into the phone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

anna kornikova

Never heard of her.....Picture(s) please.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, otb_lifer said:

this guy forever has my respect and well wishes and deep admiration - no matter the wrong turns he subsequently made.

who knows how this affected him ... it may have been intregal in the demons that consumed him. 

"of all the words of tongue or pen, these four are saddest: "it might have been"

I'm all about the forgiveness of him. 

Also in agreement on Muhammad Ali: No white athlete would ever get the pass that Ali did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 2:57 PM, rockaction said:

I'm all about the forgiveness of him. 

Also in agreement on Muhammad Ali: No white athlete would ever get the pass that Ali did.

Counterpoint: He also dealt with a lot of White Nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Counterpoint: He also dealt with a lot of White Nonsense.

I get that this is shtick and terseness for the point of making a point but allow me to quibble with both what he dealt with and how pernicious it was...

Most universally-liked people don't join organizations like the Nation Of Islam and subscribe to that nonsense no matter how much nonsense they put up with from others, especially when that nonsense turns geopolitical and takes positions on the Middle East of all places.

I can certainly sympathize with those that have been

  1. disenfranchised
  2. discriminated against
  3. not given a voice in geopolitics

But to go out and preach against a race, against Judaism by espousing Zionist control of America, and to call someone like Frazier an "Uncle Tom" for existing is way sort of beyond it, IMO.

Wolfe tears Clay up in one of his New Journo pieces on him, a piece written during his pre-Ali days. Wolfe said he wondered why he didn't like him at all considering he generally relates to people like that, and in retrospect realizes it was during his conversion from Clay to Ali.

Doesn't strike me even as historically a nice guy no matter how people want to talk about White Nonsense, which actually seems to underplay the black experience in the sixties. White Nonsense is way more pernicious that just that. It's segregation, sit-ins, lunch counters, and a whole host of things that dehumanized one race in the name of nothing other than rank ignorance. 

/endsoapbox

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arnold Palmer

Tony Gwynn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 8:04 AM, otb_lifer said:

some NYers from days gone by ...

Gil Hodges

Rod Gilbert

Dave DeBusschere

Roy White

Donnie Baseball

Ed Kranepool

Mike Bossy

Roy Campenella

George Martin

Thurman Munson 

Catfish Hunter

No one likes people from New York.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 12:56 PM, Dan Lambskin said:
On 7/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, Bucky86 said:

Larry Fitzgerald.

@swirvenirvin @lumpy19

Eff Fitzgerlad.  Especially when swirve has his unders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 11:04 AM, otb_lifer said:

some NYers from days gone by ...

Gil Hodges

Rod Gilbert

Dave DeBusschere

Roy White

Donnie Baseball

Ed Kranepool

Mike Bossy

Roy Campenella

George Martin

Thurman Munson 

Catfish Hunter

You can add Willie Randolph and Greg Nettles to the NYers list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it's Joe Thomas(LT)CLE.

Before he was even drafted as a top 3 pick he seemed to have his head on straight. Heard the news he was drafted by CLE in 2007 while he was out on a boat fishing with his old man on Lake Michigan.

Started at LT for the Browns as a rookie and played the next 10,363 snaps in a row pretty much at a sustained All-Pro level. Only a torn triceps pried him out of the lineup in 2017. Think about that for a second. He played for a DECADE for the CLEVELAND BROWNS and never missed ONE SNAP. On a CLE team that won 10 games his rookie season and never reached .500 thereafter he never rotated out at the end of yet another abysmal season playing outdoors in NOV/DEC in CLE. To the best of my knowledge he never held out, never demanded a trade to a better team(could you find a worse one?). He just played like an All-Pro.... every down...... every SEASON. That is just a level of sustained excellence in the face of adversity I'm not sure that I've ever seen, and we may never see again.

On top of all that it seems that now that he's retired he's giving more interviews and he sounds exactly like the same type of guy that would go fishing with his father during the first round of the NFL draft. He just seems like a guy that gets it. It's a shame that millions of characters have been typed with regards to a guy like Josh Gordon and maybe 1/1000th of the media attention has been spent on a guy like Joe Thomas. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kellen Winslow

Sr not Jr

 

  • Thinking 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BoltBacker said:

For me it's Joe Thomas(LT)CLE.

Before he was even drafted as a top 3 pick he seemed to have his head on straight. Heard the news he was drafted by CLE in 2007 while he was out on a boat fishing with his old man on Lake Michigan.

Started at LT for the Browns as a rookie and played the next 10,363 snaps in a row pretty much at a sustained All-Pro level. Only a torn triceps pried him out of the lineup in 2017. Think about that for a second. He played for a DECADE for the CLEVELAND BROWNS and never missed ONE SNAP. On a CLE team that won 10 games his rookie season and never reached .500 thereafter he never rotated out at the end of yet another abysmal season playing outdoors in NOV/DEC in CLE. To the best of my knowledge he never held out, never demanded a trade to a better team(could you find a worse one?). He just played like an All-Pro.... every down...... every SEASON. That is just a level of sustained excellence in the face of adversity I'm not sure that I've ever seen, and we may never see again.

On top of all that it seems that now that he's retired he's giving more interviews and he sounds exactly like the same type of guy that would go fishing with his father during the first round of the NFL draft. He just seems like a guy that gets it. It's a shame that millions of characters have been typed with regards to a guy like Josh Gordon and maybe 1/1000th of the media attention has been spent on a guy like Joe Thomas. 

I still laugh at the clods who criticized Joe for honoring his commitment to go fishing with his dad rather than attend or at least watch himself get drafted. Class guy even if he had a few dumb detractors for that one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BoltBacker said:

For me it's Joe Thomas(LT)CLE.

Before he was even drafted as a top 3 pick he seemed to have his head on straight. Heard the news he was drafted by CLE in 2007 while he was out on a boat fishing with his old man on Lake Michigan.

Started at LT for the Browns as a rookie and played the next 10,363 snaps in a row pretty much at a sustained All-Pro level. Only a torn triceps pried him out of the lineup in 2017. Think about that for a second. He played for a DECADE for the CLEVELAND BROWNS and never missed ONE SNAP. On a CLE team that won 10 games his rookie season and never reached .500 thereafter he never rotated out at the end of yet another abysmal season playing outdoors in NOV/DEC in CLE. To the best of my knowledge he never held out, never demanded a trade to a better team(could you find a worse one?). He just played like an All-Pro.... every down...... every SEASON. That is just a level of sustained excellence in the face of adversity I'm not sure that I've ever seen, and we may never see again.

On top of all that it seems that now that he's retired he's giving more interviews and he sounds exactly like the same type of guy that would go fishing with his father during the first round of the NFL draft. He just seems like a guy that gets it. It's a shame that millions of characters have been typed with regards to a guy like Josh Gordon and maybe 1/1000th of the media attention has been spent on a guy like Joe Thomas. 

Joe is a Wisconsin kid from the laid back Milwaukee suburb of Brookfield where I once roamed. Of course he's a good dude.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 3:34 PM, rockaction said:

I get that this is shtick and terseness for the point of making a point but allow me to quibble with both what he dealt with and how pernicious it was...

Most universally-liked people don't join organizations like the Nation Of Islam and subscribe to that nonsense no matter how much nonsense they put up with from others, especially when that nonsense turns geopolitical and takes positions on the Middle East of all places.

I can certainly sympathize with those that have been

  1. disenfranchised
  2. discriminated against
  3. not given a voice in geopolitics

But to go out and preach against a race, against Judaism by espousing Zionist control of America, and to call someone like Frazier an "Uncle Tom" for existing is way sort of beyond it, IMO.

Wolfe tears Clay up in one of his New Journo pieces on him, a piece written during his pre-Ali days. Wolfe said he wondered why he didn't like him at all considering he generally relates to people like that, and in retrospect realizes it was during his conversion from Clay to Ali.

Doesn't strike me even as historically a nice guy no matter how people want to talk about White Nonsense, which actually seems to underplay the black experience in the sixties. White Nonsense is way more pernicious that just that. It's segregation, sit-ins, lunch counters, and a whole host of things that dehumanized one race in the name of nothing other than rank ignorance. 

/endsoapbox

Muslims shouldn't take positions on what happens in the Middle East?

I thought about this, and if a hypothetical white guy said "You know, I don't think white people can really get along with other types of people", and then decided to reconfigure his life so he had as little contact with other people of other races as possible, I don't really have a problem with it. I saw someone on Twitter joke the other day that "we had our own water fountains and movie theatres and then this (guy) MLK came along." And Killer Mike noted in his Netflix show that during segregation, money stayed within the black community much longer. Black people spent their money at black-owned businesses, not outside ones.

And, from a black person's perspective, when they look at the unbroken chain of awful behavior towards their people from whites for centuries, not ending in 1865 whatsoever, I get where it's coming from. Maybe the hypothetical "chill white separatist" feels the same way. The issue with separatism is, of course, when one group wants to "cleanse" or "clear out" the other races or people, which is kind of where 99% of white people who want separation between the races end up.

The NOI has a lot of issues. They're not great people. And Ali was an extremely flaVVed person as well. But he also worked closely with (and greatly trusted) Bob Arum, who's Jewish. So I dunno. Maybe if someone would write a book or produce a documentary about the guy we could know more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Muslims shouldn't take positions on what happens in the Middle East?

No, when people that endorse the theory that Zionists control either the U.S. media and/or government, one can be sure that Some Sort Of Nonsense is likely to flow thenceforth, and that a statement like that certainly betrays their ultimate perception of what is happening in the Middle East, geopolitically and racially and religiously speaking. They should be taken as seriously as that original statement, and their arguments thusly judged in that context. 

1 hour ago, Good Posting Judge said:

But he also worked closely with (and greatly trusted) Bob Arum, who's Jewish.

I'm glad Ali was friends with Bob Arum. Some of his closest friends were white. And Jewish. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Good Posting Judge said:

The NOI has a lot of issues. So I dunno. Maybe if someone would write a book or produce a documentary about the guy we could know more.

This is the understatement of the year. Saying the NOI "has a lot of issues" is like saying that the KKK has a "problem in its top-down administration."  As for the documentary, I'm waiting for one that isn't hagiography. I won't hold my breath.

Ali is certainly complicated, but to call him a slam dunk as beloved within the context of culture is to (pardon me) whitewash his actual statements and actions with apologies and apologias worthy of archaic religiosity and religions. It's a hard sell, but something with which our media seems obsessed as pertains to the memory of ALI. As it is, I'm one of the dissenters that don't need either the media harangue about societal context or left-wing apparatchiks getting scoldy about how to view someone's actual statements and deeds.

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not even going into the Killer Mike and black vs. white separatist shtick. That would take way, way too long to do. (I started to, but then just quit.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.