What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Leaf joins ESPN as college football analyst (1 Viewer)

grateful zed

Footballguy
Ryan Leaf, the former Washington State quarterback and No. 2 NFL Draft pick whose career was plagued by drug addiction and who served time in prison, joined ESPN as a college football analyst.

Leaf, 43, will call games alongside play-by-play announcer Clay Matvick, according to ESPN. His games will be televised on ESPN2 and ESPU. He worked for the Pac-12 Network last season and co-hosted a show on SiriusXM’s Pac-12 station.
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ryan-leaf-espn-college-football-analyst

Last edited by a moderator:
Recovery is never done, it's always ongoing.  I'm frankly a bit scared for him of what the ESPN spotlight might do.  But I'm also hopeful that he's able to stay strong and "make it" for his and his family's sake.  I do enjoy his work as well.

It's good to see the guy come back from destroying his life and really make something of himself off the field.

It's just a shame that regular folks don't typically get the same opportunities in life.

It's good to see the guy come back from destroying his life and really make something of himself off the field.

It's just a shame that regular folks don't typically get the same opportunities in life.
Most all regular folks get multiple opportunities to salvage the life they have after similar bad decisions. Many of them, like many celebrities, just fail to fully take advantage of 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances. 

Most all regular folks get multiple opportunities to salvage the life they have after similar bad decisions. Many of them, like many celebrities, just fail to fully take advantage of 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances. 
Yes, people get opportunities, but typically not high paying, high profile opportunities like Leaf has due to his celebrity status (and despite being perhaps the biggest draft bust in NFL history). Just another example of the injustices in society.

Yes, people get opportunities, but typically not high paying, high profile opportunities like Leaf has due to his celebrity status (and despite being perhaps the biggest draft bust in NFL history). Just another example of the injustices in society.
Not really. If regular people get the chance at the same opportunity they had before their indiscretions, then there isn't an injustice. Lots of regular joe's go into treatment for drug addictions and get a chance to reclaim their life afterwards. Some are successful, some not. Some get lots of chances depending upon their skill sets. 

Didn’t he start back as a high school football coach or something? This has been a long road for him, not like he got the espn job 6 months after being clean. Good for him. 

You're right, it's some real bull#### that I couldn't land an NFL analyst job after I overcame my youthful indiscretions.

The 30 for 30 documentary on Leaf was really cool.  Lots of really cool insight and a look at what it was like being him back in the day.  He was open and honest about all of his issues and problems and I, for one, am glad to see him make it back.   

Former quarterback and current ESPN college football analyst Ryan Leaf was arrested Friday on a charge of misdemeanor domestic battery.

Leaf was arrested around 2 p.m. in Palm Desert, California, and booked into the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, according to online jail records.

He was released Friday night on $5,000 bail, according to the records. His next court date is Sept. 25.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29212949/former-qb-ryan-leaf-arrested-domestic-battery-charge

Users who are viewing this thread