What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Eli taking all this flak? (1 Viewer)

ffbsensei

Footballguy
I've read a number of posts who were gleeful that Eli was booed or that he took some heat during this past week. I'm not sure I understand why this is taking place.The Chargers approached the Mannings and said they wanted to negotiate with him as the number 1 pick. They told the Chargers (and nobody else), that there was no interest in their part for Eli to play in San Diego. At that point, the Chargers went public with the Mannings request. They could have just as easily made a trade or picked somebody else. The Chargers went out of their way to make Eli look bad (AND weaken their bargaining position).The Mannings did not set out to make the Chargers look bad. And like it or not, they were in a position to dictate where Eli could play. The Charger organization seems the one to have come away from this week looking bad. The Charger organization seems to have tried to scapegoat Eli to take the focus off of their poorly run organization with little forseeable upside in the next few years.As it turned out, the end result is that everybody won - Eli gets to play in NY, NY gets the QB that they want, Chargers are in a good position with extra picks. This could have all been done without the Chargers going public with Eli's request and everybody would have been spared the angst and nobody had to look bad.Thoughts?Sensei

Im on the fence on this one. On one hand I think it was wrong for the Chargers to let out Mannings position. On the other hand I think Manning should be happy whoever drafts him. All that ebing said... I think its wrong for all the nuts who actually have nothing better to do than go to the draft to have booed him. Those same fans who were booing him-most of them New Yorkers were the same people who were cheering for him after the trade.

The issue isnt who took what public. The issue is that the NFL has a draft for a reason, assumedly so that bad teams can get good players. Manning wouldnt play ball. Think about the havok it would cause if the top 10 guys did the same thing. Sure, everybody wants to play for the Colts or the Patriots, but football wouldnt be very interesting if that were the case.So Eli didnt want to play for SD, and he decided to use the leverage of the hold out to avoid that. Fine. San Diego decided to use the leverage of taking that statement public. Do they not have the right to tell the world the reason Eli Manning wont be a Charger is because he refuses to be? If they didnt, how many fans would be cursing the Charger front office for 'refusing to take' Manning? Whether going public helped their leverage or not in the long run is immaterial. What they did was certainly no worse than what Manning did, and was obviously instigated by Manning.

Im on the fence on this one. On one hand I think it was wrong for the Chargers to let out Mannings position. On the other hand I think Manning should be happy whoever drafts him. All that ebing said... I think its wrong for all the nuts who actually have nothing better to do than go to the draft to have booed him. Those same fans who were booing him-most of them New Yorkers were the same people who were cheering for him after the trade.
that's pretty ironic, don't ya think

Last edited by a moderator:
he is a POS. he is in no position to decide where he is going to play. the chargers have every right to draft him. he should be honored and feel very lucky to have been bestowed with the skills to compete in the nfl (actually, we do not know if he does have the skills). he is obviously very clueless (daddy is also clueless i guess) if he thinks going to the giants is going to mean annual trips the playoffs. just because daddy manning wasnt good enough to elevate the skills of others on his teams when he played, doesnt mean eli wont be able to either. i thought the booing was great. i laughed so damn hard as he stood there with his stupid look on his face. eli and daddy both need a good :boxing:

Boo hoo for Manning. He is getting the shot at being the No1 overall pick in the draft and he thinks he gets to dictate where he'll play?!?!?!? This is a DRAFT people, not free agency. You don't like who drafts you, sign a short term deal and get the F out via free agency. This is the NFL here were talking about. There are people who would give their right and left nuts to play in the NFL, and he thinks he can just dictate where he gets to play? What an egomaniac.I hope that on his first snap in a real game he gets a career ending injury, maybe that will put things in perspective for Mr. I Get the World on Silver Platter!!!

I can understand why those with less talent or fans might allow envy to taint their beliefs.Very few players EVER have the ability to pick and choose their team, only players in the enviable position of getting drafted in the #1 position. The fact is that Eli put himself in that position by being the top-rated player.I don't think the Chargers would have been put in an awkward position if the trade came down with the Giants. In fact, I've read some threads here who think the Giants paid TOO much for Eli and that the Chargers came out better in the end.The Mannings did the correct thing by using all of the leverage at their disposal to put Eli in the most optimal situation. The Charger organization reflected poorly on themselves by appearing small-minded, and probably reinforces the Manning's decision not to play for that organization.The end result could have been achieved without ANYBODY looking bad or anybody else trying to make someone else look bad. The Mannings did this the correct way, they kept everything to themselves...even after the Chargers went public, they didn't castigate the Charger organization for being a poorly run organization.The Mannings showed class, the Chargers did not. The Mannings used all of the leverage at their disposal, as they should, to put Eli in the best possible situation. Sensei

The Mannings showed class, the Chargers did not. The Mannings used all of the leverage at their disposal, as they should, to put Eli in the best possible situation.
I dont get it. Didnt San Diego simply use all the leverage at their disposal to do what was best for their team? Make no mistake, if San Diego had mysterously passed over Manning with nothing being said the team would have a major public relations problem with their fans. Why should they put up with that just to be nice to a guy who told them to go stick it? Is it classy to manipulate the draft?

I can understand why those with less talent or fans might allow envy to taint their beliefs.Very few players EVER have the ability to pick and choose their team, only players in the enviable position of getting drafted in the #1 position. The fact is that Eli put himself in that position by being the top-rated player.I don't think the Chargers would have been put in an awkward position if the trade came down with the Giants. In fact, I've read some threads here who think the Giants paid TOO much for Eli and that the Chargers came out better in the end.The Mannings did the correct thing by using all of the leverage at their disposal to put Eli in the most optimal situation. The Charger organization reflected poorly on themselves by appearing small-minded, and probably reinforces the Manning's decision not to play for that organization.The end result could have been achieved without ANYBODY looking bad or anybody else trying to make someone else look bad. The Mannings did this the correct way, they kept everything to themselves...even after the Chargers went public, they didn't castigate the Charger organization for being a poorly run organization.The Mannings showed class, the Chargers did not. The Mannings used all of the leverage at their disposal, as they should, to put Eli in the best possible situation. Sensei
You are mistaken. This IS NOT FREE AGENCY! It's a draft, you go where you are picked. If you are a free agent then you can use everything at your disposal as leverage to get the best possible situation.

There was nothing to be gained by making Eli look bad. They could have still pulled off the deal with NY...and, as some have said, Chargers got the better end of the deal.There was no leverage to be gained by revealing the conversation with Manning, other than to make them look bad. There's nothing wrong with Manning trying to position himself in the best possible situation. We all know that rookie qbs chosen #1 often get beat up on bad teams. If someone can keep themselves out of that situation, shouldn't they? Wouldn't you?By going public with the Manning's conversation, the Chargers put themselves in a worse position...they would be negotiating trades from a place of weakness. And if they couldn't pull off a trade, making Eli LOOK bad will certainly encourage him to follow through with his statement of sitting out the year and the Chargers end up with nothing.

You are mistaken. This IS NOT FREE AGENCY! It's a draft, you go where you are picked. If you are a free agent then you can use everything at your disposal as leverage to get the best possible situation.
You're correct, this is a draft. And it doesn't normally happey, but in certain situations, the player in the enviable position of being the top choice, has some degree of latitude if all of the pieces fall into place.That is, the team drafting first has the ability to pick up a multitude of draft picks and not have to go down too far. Can anyone say that the Chargers were harmed in anyway?Among the various pieces is that the player MUST have options other than playing for the NFL. Most players don't have the luxury of sitting out the year. The Mannings have the good fortune of being able to do that. Giving up a year's salary would be cost prohibitive for many players. Elway signed with the Yankees, Eli had the financial freedom to sit out a year. Better to give up one year's worth of salary then to be put behind a sieve of a offensive line.The fact is, Eli had options that many players didn't have, and all of the pieces fell into place. Everyone came out a winner...I daresay that if many of these posters who are decrying Eli's actions were in a similar situation, AND had similar options, they would do the same thing. Sensei

This is one instance where I hope the old saying "what goes around comes around" applies. Nothing will be sweeter than to be 5 years down the road and Rivers is a STUD whilst Manning is a DUD!

If a team has the #1 pick and the team (and its fans) have rated Eli Manning the #1 player, but that player refuses to sign with them, then I would hope that the team would inform the fans that they had no choice but to trade him away. As a fan, I'd be pi$$ed if the team had traded away our #1 rated guy without any explanation. I see nothing wrong with the Chargers dragging Manning's name through the mud. He brought it on himself.

The evil Mannings need to realize that they are not the Kennedys of the NFL and it is not their blood right to decide where they want to play. I found it particularly disgusting that even after the Chargers drafted him Eli said--they know our position I'm just gonna hope for a trade today. He could have just said--they drafted me and we'll see what happens. And that moron Peyton saying "we have respect for all NFL franchises and this was no knock on the Chargers." What the hell was it then?

The fans see two people here:Tillman: Gave up millions of dollars to go fight and die for America in Afghanistan.Eli Manning: The money alone isn't enough. He also needs to go to the team he wants to as well as get paid.Did the Chargers have to make this public? You can make a case for it. Had they quietly not chosen him, people would be second-guessing the Chargers. So they cleared the air. Eli never denied it.I think the fans will probably forget about all this, but it was just horrible, horrible timing considering the Tillman death, and Eli did not handle it well.

There was nothing to be gained by making Eli look bad. They could have still pulled off the deal with NY...and, as some have said, Chargers got the better end of the deal.
But that's just not true. You may recall that the deal didnt get done until after they actually drafted Manning. If it was such a simple matter, why didnt they close the deal sooner? Had they not disclosed that keeping Manning ultimately wasnt an option, a team like NY might have traded down before the draft assuming they could never get the guy they wanted. Again, why should San Diego take any risks on behalf of a guy that wasnt showing them any respect?
There was no leverage to be gained by revealing the conversation with Manning, other than to make them look bad. There's nothing wrong with Manning trying to position himself in the best possible situation.
Thats not necesarilly true. What would have happened had SD not been able to close a deal pre-draft, they would either be stuck not taking Manning and getting nothing in exchange or drafting him and then trying desperately to get rid of him for some undisclosed reason. That is a nasty risk.And what about the PR question you are ignoring? Why should the Charger's front office risk getting burned if Manning is a superstar somewhere else? That would have been 2 Mannings in a row SD passed up. There is such a thing as covering your rear. Why shouldnt they? What do they owe Manning?

Eli:

"Pssst...hey SD.....just fyi....I think you guys suck....and I will not play for you if you draft me.....I have some leverage being the best player so I am going to buck the NFL system....even though I say I have alot of respect for it....oh and by the way.....please don't tell anybody and make me and my family look bad....OK..????"

SD:

Uh....ok..we'll just look like idiots and not pick you.....or we will trade you and have everybody wonder why and we won't say anything......hey we passed on Vick too....shouldn't surprise anyone....yeah we should just be quiet instead of honest.....we heard that honesty thing is overrated.......why would we want to tell people what really happened......

Eli:

Thanks guys....thanks for taking one for the team Manning......

I don't understand how anyone can say that anyone but Manning was responsible for the mess. He made the demand - not SD. SD just made it public - probably partly to let their fan base know what was going on so they could save face and partly as a just desserts for Manning for his behavior. SD was well within their rights either way.As far as the draft - it was positively hilarious & satisfying to watch SD pick Manning with the 1st pick anyhow & make him hold up the Chargers' #1 jersey. It looked like someone has forced him to take a couple of bites out of a turd. Priceless. Then he had to suffer with that for an hour before the trade.I was literally lmfao!

As far as the draft - it was positively hilarious & satisfying to watch SD pick Manning with the 1st pick anyhow & make him hold up the Chargers' #1 jersey. It looked like someone has forced him to take a couple of bites out of a turd. Priceless. Then he had to suffer with that for an hour before the trade.I was literally lmfao!
Your absolutly right it was like he wsas thinking..... bu...ub....ub....but.....iiiii......mmmm.....au....uah.....maaaaa.....maaaa....nning! Hu...hu.....ow.....can....theee....eeey......doooooo.....thiiii......iiiiis....too.....oooo......ME! :cry: :cry:

The Chargers approached the Mannings and said they wanted to negotiate with him as the number 1 pick. They told the Chargers (and nobody else), that there was no interest in their part for Eli to play in San Diego.
That right there is why Eli is getting all the flak, and rightfully so. You dont tell an NFL team that you dont want to play for them. Get real, a football player plays football. Every other kid interviewed all were happy to be drafted and play for whoever drafted them. Thats how it should be.

There was no leverage to be gained by revealing the conversation with Manning, other than to make them look bad. There's nothing wrong with Manning trying to position himself in the best possible situation.
Not true at all. Here are the possible benefits of going public:1. They can take Gallery now without the fans getting upset.2. Cleveland will believe they might take Gallery, and might feel they have to deal with San Diego rather than Oakland if they want to be sure they get him. Adding another team who could deal for the pick can create leverage, particularly if the Giants weren't seriously interested in trading up for him.3. The next player who comes along who wants to try to dictate where he goes, and thinks he can do so in secret to avoid the adverse fan reaction, is going to have to think twice.

Simply put, I would have booed John Elway back in the day, when he had a similar situation with the Colts...Has nothing to do with Manning's ability. He may be the next best thing. But to try and blackmail (can't think of an easier term for it) a team into not drafting you, by threatening to hold out, is just stupid. You will not find any sympathy from the average football fan, sorry.Everyone (Manning, SD, NYG) got lucky and everything worked out. But if a trade never occurred, this woulda been an ugly situation...

I've read a number of posts who were gleeful that Eli was booed or that he took some heat during this past week. I'm not sure I understand why this is taking place.The Chargers approached the Mannings and said they wanted to negotiate with him as the number 1 pick. They told the Chargers (and nobody else), that there was no interest in their part for Eli to play in San Diego. At that point, the Chargers went public with the Mannings request. They could have just as easily made a trade or picked somebody else. The Chargers went out of their way to make Eli look bad (AND weaken their bargaining position).The Mannings did not set out to make the Chargers look bad. And like it or not, they were in a position to dictate where Eli could play. The Charger organization seems the one to have come away from this week looking bad. The Charger organization seems to have tried to scapegoat Eli to take the focus off of their poorly run organization with little forseeable upside in the next few years.As it turned out, the end result is that everybody won - Eli gets to play in NY, NY gets the QB that they want, Chargers are in a good position with extra picks. This could have all been done without the Chargers going public with Eli's request and everybody would have been spared the angst and nobody had to look bad.Thoughts?Sensei
WHY?!?!?!Because a punk rookie is not suppost ot dictate where and who he plays for. He is suppost to just be happy to be in the NFL.I think it is sad when a young man entering his career has to hide behind daddy and his millionaire brother. Without that leverage, he's a flippin' Charger and happy as pie to be there.The guy now enters the league with a HUGE target and pressure to produce on him. I personally can't wait to see him crushed by a nasty Philly, Dallas, or Wahington blitz.

The fans see two people here:Tillman: Gave up millions of dollars to go fight and die for America in Afghanistan.Eli Manning: The money alone isn't enough. He also needs to go to the team he wants to as well as get paid.Did the Chargers have to make this public? You can make a case for it. Had they quietly not chosen him, people would be second-guessing the Chargers. So they cleared the air. Eli never denied it.I think the fans will probably forget about all this, but it was just horrible, horrible timing considering the Tillman death, and Eli did not handle it well.
I don't think it was about money to Manning whatsoever. In fact, he was willing to sacrifice all of his money and sit out just to not play for S.D. So how was it about money to him?

We all know that rookie qbs chosen #1 often get beat up on bad teams. If someone can keep themselves out of that situation, shouldn't they? Wouldn't you?
Are you saying that Eli improved his situation by going from SD to the NY Giants? That the Giants are not a bad team also? Even though SD does not have a O line, at least they have a top notch RB that can take some pressure off the QB. If Eli thinks he is going to have an easier time playing on this Giants team and facing the N.Y. media and fans as opposed to the SD media and fans, he is going to be in for a huge surprise in about 5 months.

I'll echo the thoughts relayed here.. I'm tired of whinners like Elway and Manning coming into the draft thinking the rules should be rewritten for them!! :cX: I'm all for the NFL changing the rules so that you can Franchise a rookie.. San Diego should be able to Tag him and make it to where if he ever plays in the NFL it will be with them. San Diego painfully earned the right to draft the best possible player in the draft.. Manning's daddy should have stayed out of it and let his son do what was right, sign with the team that drafts you, complete your contract, then sign with another team if he still wants to. His actions undermine the entire premisses that the draft is based. I'm forever an Eli heckler.... I hope Kearse plants him on his ### the first game on Sept 12,, and I hope the Giants do badly enough that the Chargers get the first overall pick next year.. No, I'm not a charger fan..

Are you saying that Eli improved his situation by going from SD to the NY Giants? That the Giants are not a bad team also? Even though SD does not have a O line, at least they have a top notch RB that can take some pressure off the QB. If Eli thinks he is going to have an easier time playing on this Giants team and facing the N.Y. media and fans as opposed to the SD media and fans, he is going to be in for a huge surprise in about 5 months.
I think Eli (and/or his family) didn't like the Charger's organization, as opposed to not liking the guys on the roster. I have to say, AJ Smith seemed to stumble and bumble through a lot of the weeks before the draft, and I questioned a lot of what he was doing. Though he seems to have done well for his team in the end.Edit to add: Plus, isn't LT2's contract up after this year? There's a good chance he won't be a Charger next year if the team doesn't show improvement.

Why bring Tillman into this? Tillman was a great man who sacrificed alot for his Family and country. Using him in your silly little dispute to make Eli look good or bad is just an insult to him and his family. Tillman should be one of the few Pro football players you point out to you kids and say now there is a true man who had his life straight. Also, don't forget he gave up millions to stay in Arizona because they had put faith in him. As far as Eli goes he is no differnt than any other Elite NFL player. They do what's best for themselves. So give it a break already guys.

:no: to those thinking Manning and his family showed any ounce of class. :thumbup: to those that think Manning and his family are a POS. :yes:

I've read a number of posts who were gleeful that Eli was booed or that he took some heat during this past week. I'm not sure I understand why this is taking place.
Pretty simple, regardless of who aired it, no one denied that Eli Manning thought he was above the NFL draft, too good to be put into a simple lottery. SD was rightly insulted when he refused to play for him and they gave him a taste of his own medicine.Bottom line, it's a privilege to play in the NFL, and Eli Manning thought it was his right, not only to play, but toplay for whomever he chooses, which is only a rght after you've proven yourself for four years, unless you're not good enough to get drafted.

Eli wasn't even #1 on alot of peoples draft board for QB anyways... Eli was not a sure fire #1 like Elway was....In no way should Eli dictate where he goes... you can spin this story until your dizzy and vomit... but bottom line, the draft is there for a reason and it isn't for Daddy little boy to go where Daddy wants him to go... Im not fond of the little hissy fit "I'll sit out if I have to" either.Screw Eli, Screw Archie... he wasn't that good anyways.12 ppl booed him in my livingroom.

The Chargers approached the Mannings and said they wanted to negotiate with him as the number 1 pick.  They told the Chargers (and nobody else), that there was no interest in their part for Eli to play in San Diego. 
You honestly believe that prior to the Chargers going public that the only people who knew about the Mannings desire not to play in San Diego were the Chargers, the Mannings and their agent? People talk about how the Chargers went public with this like no one else knew. Archie already stated that he talked to many people around the league to help make their decision. While the Chargers were the ones that offically went public there were many front offices that knew what was going on. Trust me the Giants didnt learn about this tidbit from ESPN like you and I did. Chris Mortenson even had previously talked to AJ Smith about the rumor of Eli not wanting to play in SD. At first AJ denied it, and said they were in contract talks. Then a day or two later came out and said that yes Eli doesnt want to be a Charger. The Giants really wanted Manning, and once they knew he didnt want to be a Charger it looked like they had leverage, cause the Chargers would never draft him or so we thought. The Chargers leaked the story to the public but this info was out there in the football circles and was hurting the Chargers chances of trading out and still getting good value. The Chargers still drafted Eli and the game of chicken w/ the Giants began.

I think others have said it earlier in the thread, this is less about where the Chargers and Giants are as teams NOW, as opposed to the people at the top who are running the organization.The mannings thought that not only were the Chargers a bad team, there was no direction and no improvement in the foreseeable future.People who are mad at Eli say things like, "He should just be happy to be drafted." They speak like one who don't.He didn't buck the system...He stayed within his options...its anybody's option not to have to report to the team that drafted him. He just told them that ahead of time.People say that the Chargers made an example of Eli by going public with his position. I don't buy that. I think the Chargers put themselves in a WORSE position by disclosing the Mannings' position.The Mannings tried to do this quietly so that nobody had to look bad. Its unfortunate that it came down the way that it did.And for those who say that Manning now has a target on his back...that's foolishness. Don't you think that rookie QBs ALREADY have a target on themselves? Defenses are going to come after him regardless. Its childish and immature to wish poorly for somebody.The Mannings have options that nobody on this forum have...just because others don't have those options doesn't mean that they should forgo those options. And just think, if the deal hadn't been made...the Chargers would have looked like they had egg on their faces. Eli already told them he wasn't going to report. So by going public, they positioned themselves with no leverage. If the deal hadn't gotten done with NY, it would have gotten VERY ugly. The Chargers would have had to take MUCH less than they got...and they would have looked like fools.

I think others have said it earlier in the thread, this is less about where the Chargers and Giants are as teams NOW, as opposed to the people at the top who are running the organization.The mannings thought that not only were the Chargers a bad team, there was no direction and no improvement in the foreseeable future.People who are mad at Eli say things like, "He should just be happy to be drafted." They speak like one who don't.He didn't buck the system...He stayed within his options...its anybody's option not to have to report to the team that drafted him. He just told them that ahead of time.People say that the Chargers made an example of Eli by going public with his position. I don't buy that. I think the Chargers put themselves in a WORSE position by disclosing the Mannings' position.The Mannings tried to do this quietly so that nobody had to look bad. Its unfortunate that it came down the way that it did.And for those who say that Manning now has a target on his back...that's foolishness. Don't you think that rookie QBs ALREADY have a target on themselves? Defenses are going to come after him regardless. Its childish and immature to wish poorly for somebody.The Mannings have options that nobody on this forum have...just because others don't have those options doesn't mean that they should forgo those options. And just think, if the deal hadn't been made...the Chargers would have looked like they had egg on their faces. Eli already told them he wasn't going to report. So by going public, they positioned themselves with no leverage. If the deal hadn't gotten done with NY, it would have gotten VERY ugly. The Chargers would have had to take MUCH less than they got...and they would have looked like fools.
I can take issue with so many things here I'm not sure where to start. What if all the players elligible to be drafted said where they would and would not play? If the Mannings think the Chargers are so inept does this mean they think Eli should not have been the #1 pick in the draft and is not the best talent? The Chargers went public and still got a ton for him so what are you talking about? The deal with the Giants did get done and they got a lot.

Edit to add: Plus, isn't LT2's contract up after this year? There's a good chance he won't be a Charger next year if the team doesn't show improvement.
I think LT2 is signed through 2005, but I could easily be wrong.My point was, to say the reason Eli didn't want to play for SD was because they are a bad team and QBs on bad teams get beat up seems like a silly excuse considering he wanted to play for the Giants. (I'm sure there was some conflict with management types because it is not like Eli was holding out for a team ready to contend this year.) I just think Eli would find it easier to be the starting QB on a rebuilding team in sunny San Diego as opposed to a rebuilding team in New York. Assuming Rivers starts in SD and does not get killed, he will have LT2 in the backfield at least one year and hopefully longer. Also, if M Williams is allowed in a Supplemental draft, the Chargers have a real good chance of adding him before the season. Worst case, SD should have two high draft picks in the 1st Rd next year. They can draft one player and then trade the other pick for immediate help. As long as Upper Management does not screw up, the pieces should be in place for SD to improve over the next couple of years.

I think others have said it earlier in the thread, this is less about where the Chargers and Giants are as teams NOW, as opposed to the people at the top who are running the organization.
This is something that none of us know as of now, but could be possible.
The mannings thought that not only were the Chargers a bad team, there was no direction and no improvement in the foreseeable future.
Funny cause he just caused his team to become worse and the Chargers to get better in the very near forseeable future by them having to give up the 1st next year!
He didn't buck the system...He stayed within his options...its anybody's option not to have to report to the team that drafted him. He just told them that ahead of time.
Yes he did, the team with the 1st pick or worst finish from the prior year is SUPPOSED to get the top player as by there evaluation!
People say that the Chargers made an example of Eli by going public with his position. I don't buy that. I think the Chargers put themselves in a WORSE position by disclosing the Mannings' position.
Again, funny cause the trade works out better for SD hense they did the right thing! Plus the vast majority of people seem to disagree with you.
The Mannings tried to do this quietly so that nobody had to look bad. Its unfortunate that it came down the way that it did.
No they tried to do this quietly so that the Manning team wouldn't look bad.
The Mannings have options that nobody on this forum have...just because others don't have those options doesn't mean that they should forgo those options.
The U.S. as a country has the power to distroy all living things on earth, does that mean to you the we should just because things may not be going our way?
And for those who say that Manning now has a target on his back...that's foolishness. Don't you think that rookie QBs ALREADY have a target on themselves? Defenses are going to come after him regardless. Its childish and immature to wish poorly for somebody.
No it is not foolish to think that the other players in the league may take exception to a guy who thinks he is better than them and above the law without having proved a single thing in the NFL yet.What the Mannings did was wrong on a moral level and lacks respect for the NFL Draft. Why people who love Manning so much can't admitt this is beyond me? This does not mean he is domed or gonna get hurt, just that a lot of fans and players are going to see something more to actually like this guy. Get over it already. He will most likely still be a great NFL player, but untill he changes his attitude, I can't imagin too many guys are going to really enjoy playing with him. Oh and before I get scorned about how they are all pros, yes they will do their jobs and smile, but as most of us in the working world know, that does not mean you are happy.

The mannings thought that not only were the Chargers a bad team, there was no direction and no improvement in the foreseeable future.
Well, I guess the Mannings would love any team that would trade 2 #1's, a 3rd and a 5th for his services. ;)

Cooper? Is that you?

He didn't buck the system...He stayed within his options...its anybody's option not to have to report to the team that drafted him. He just told them that ahead of time.
Agree
People say that the Chargers made an example of Eli by going public with his position. I don't buy that. I think the Chargers put themselves in a WORSE position by disclosing the Mannings' position.
I don't think the Chargers were trying to make an example of Eli. I think they took a calculated gamble. And the fact that they made a deal indicates to me that the gamble paid off. We will never the details of what they were offered before they went public, or before they drafted Manning. But my guess is that the pot got a little sweeter after their pick.. who knows..
The Mannings tried to do this quietly so that nobody had to look bad. Its unfortunate that it came down the way that it did.
No, the Mannings tried to do this quietly, so that the Mannings didn't look bad, while still getting what they wanted. They basically wanted to have their cake and eat it too. The Chargers were under no obligation to accommodate the Manning's every desire, especially if they thought they could improve their position by going a different direction.
And just think, if the deal hadn't been made...the Chargers would have looked like they had egg on their faces. Eli already told them he wasn't going to report. So by going public, they positioned themselves with no leverage. If the deal hadn't gotten done with NY, it would have gotten VERY ugly. The Chargers would have had to take MUCH less than they got...and they would have looked like fools.
I have a different take on this. The Chargers knew the Giants wanted Eli. They probably believed the Giants knew Eli didn't want to play for the Chargers. But since there is a chance the Chargers won't take a chance on drafting Eli, there is little incentive for the Giants to make a big offer. By going public with the Mannings position and (this is key) adding that the Mannings expressed a desire to play for the Giants, and then drafting Eli, they increased the pressure on the Giants to make a deal. The Giants want to make a deal. The Mannings want the Giants to make a deal. Heck, the NFL probably wants the Giants to make a deal. Like I said, it was a gamble..

This is something that none of us know as of now, but could be possible.Funny cause he just caused his team to become worse and the Chargers to get better in the very near forseeable future by them having to give up the 1st next year!Yes he did, the team with the 1st pick or worst finish from the prior year is SUPPOSED to get the top player as by there evaluation!Again, funny cause the trade works out better for SD hense they did the right thing! Plus the vast majority of people seem to disagree with you.No they tried to do this quietly so that the Manning team wouldn't look bad.The U.S. as a country has the power to distroy all living things on earth, does that mean to you the we should just because things may not be going our way?No it is not foolish to think that the other players in the league may take exception to a guy who thinks he is better than them and above the law without having proved a single thing in the NFL yet.What the Mannings did was wrong on a moral level and lacks respect for the NFL Draft. Why people who love Manning so much can't admitt this is beyond me? This does not mean he is domed or gonna get hurt, just that a lot of fans and players are going to see something more to actually like this guy. Get over it already. He will most likely still be a great NFL player, but untill he changes his attitude, I can't imagin too many guys are going to really enjoy playing with him. Oh and before I get scorned about how they are all pros, yes they will do their jobs and smile, but as most of us in the working world know, that does not mean you are happy.
Somebody mentioned earlier that the inner NFL circles had gotten wind of the Chargers not being able to sign Eli and may have been getting low-ball offers. I don't know if that's true or not, but perhaps that may have impacted their ability to get maximum value.It doesn't bother me that I'm in the minority on the positions, I often have a contrarian view.I still don't get your analogy to the US having the ability to blow up the world...No other player typically has the opportunity to be put in a place where they have leverage. Eli obviously had the leverage because he ended up where he wanted to end up. The Chargers weren't hurt because they got a great deal for him. And the NFL draft is intact... Eli wasn't trying to knock or mess up the Chargers...he just didn't want to play for them. He had the opportunity to not play for them and took advantage of that.Not sure why there's all this animus towards Eli and the Manning family. Nobody in this league is going to look out for you, its a business. Eli took care of the business of taking care of Eli within the bounds of what he was allowed to do.He didn't try to keep it quiet...he KEPT it quiet. You can say that he was trying to protect himself...but after the whole issue went public, he refused to detail the reasons why he didn't want to play for the Chargers because he didn't want to make them look bad EVEN after he was made to look bad.He showed remarkable poise for a young man.Peyton aka the Sensei :)

As long as Upper Management does not screw up, the pieces should be in place for SD to improve over the next couple of years.
ahhh...anyone notice who SD drafted w/the 3rd round pick acquired from the G-men?How 'bout a freakin Kicker, 1 of 3 drafted out of 250 players...way to go AJ! :thumbdown: and you guys continue to bust Manning's ballz for not wanting to play for such a LOSER?the only reason a trade never happened earlier was that NYG was not giving up the 2nd this yr, and finally included next yrs 1st insteadCoughlin drafted the father of his grandson...CSneed, G-BC...with the second pickCoach was looking out for his future son-in-law (Sneed dates Coach C's daughter at BC and has a boy w/her)...I don't hear anyone busting Coughlin's chops for looking out for his family...yet the Manning's get blasted by Eli excersising his right to not report and give up MILLIONS this season?please...you guys are unbelievable

Archie was just on Mike North on 670 AM in Chicago taking the heat. I will give him this- he has the balls to get on and take the heat. AND he called into the show! I still think that it was lame that Eli did not want to play for the Chargers but it is done. The Giants are skating on thin ice with a rookie QB in a rough division and the Chargers get their QB. Both teams will struggle in 2004 but the thing that I fear is other players doing this next year and beyond. Thisd is going to ruin the draft if it happens...

ahhh...anyone notice who SD drafted w/the 3rd round pick acquired from the G-men?How 'bout a freakin Kicker, 1 of 3 drafted out of 250 players...way to go AJ! :thumbdown: and you guys continue to bust Manning's ballz for not wanting to play for such a LOSER?the only reason a trade never happened earlier was that NYG was not giving up the 2nd this yr, and finally included next yrs 1st insteadCoughlin's drafted the father of his grandson...CSneed, G-BC...with the second pickCoach was looking out for his future son-in-law (Sneed dates Coach C's daughter at BC and has a boy w/her)...I don't hear anyone busting Coughlin's chops for looking out for his family...yet the Manning's get blasted by Eli excersising his right to not report and give up MILLIONS this season?please...you guys are unbelievable
The selection of the kicker Nate Kaeding has been discussed already in another thread. Kaeding was seen as the highest rated kicker coming out of college since Jano. Chargers have had major kicking problems over the last few years, short kickoffs leading to a short field, not being able to attempt FG over 45 yds.The Chargers didnt overpay for Kaeding and picked up a quality player addressing one of their many holes. In FFB world kickers are meaningless scrubs that we throw on at the end of a draft. In real football they make a world of difference. Look at the value Vinateri brings to New England. Or how not having one impacted both the Giants and 49ers in recent years. The Chargers arent going to the SUperbowl this year, and there arent always good kicking prospects every year. The pick was solid, it wont impress a lot of people due to the perception of kickers. Again its tough to evaluate the trade if Kaeding is top tier kicker for the next 10+ years thats not a bad pick.

Eli Manning: The money alone isn't enough. He also needs to go to the team he wants to as well as get paid.
Eli is definately was definately not concerned with the amount of money he would have received in San Diego because the mannings have millions. The overall reason Eli opted not to go to San Diego is becuase..well the early disCHargers suck. They have been in a 5-year slump and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. There are absolutely no targets for Eli to throw to. Eli would have to waste his talent of throwing and practice the hand-off manuver for the chargers to have a chance to win. The Giants is a good fit for Eli.

Lots of hostility toward Manning and I don't get it. The draft does NOT give a team the right to have a player play for them. It gives the team the exclusive right to sign a player for one year. In other words, if the player wants to play he must play for the team that drafted him (for a year, barring any trades, etc.). You can't force anyone to play for you, or to sign a contract. If Manning knew he wasn't going to play for the Chargers - he did them a huge favor telling them. The other option allowed by the rules would have been to keep quiet and hold out for a year, then re-enter the draft. Ummm...I think the Chargers would have been burned worse by that than by him privately telling them "don't pick me" after his refusal to negotiate with them pre-draft didn't seem to get the message across.Now, you can dislike Manning's attitude and say he should be grateful to play for whatever team picks him. But why? Why should he be grateful - he is earning the money, after all. He does have to work for it (except the signing bonus) - he has to put himself out there risking injury, etc. And he certainly worked to get to the point where he is considered a potential #1 pick in the NFL draft. It isn't like he showed up in NY having never played football and expecting to get drafted #1.Yeah, would most of us willing trade places - of course. But I think it is the armchair QB in all of us that prompts folks to act like being drafted into the NFL is the greatest honor you could ever be bestowed - so great that you shouldn't take any action even if you deem it to be in your best interests (and within the rules).

Kaeding was seen as the highest rated kicker coming out of college since Jano.
and OAK F'ked up there too...passed on a certain SAlexander to take a freakin' kicker!I have watched Matt Stover do it for a long time in this league, so you don't have to dummy it down for me with the FF explaination about the worth of a kicker...Stover has been so valuable to the Ravens over the years they carry a K just for kicking off and use matt for FG attempts, as he is moneySD has sh-it for WR's, and passed on good ones to take a kicker...take a WR with the pick from NY and take the second best K in round 5 or 6...VBD does have it's merrits in the NFL alsomy point is SD is at best a questionably run organization, and Manning decided to give up a ton of money to wait another year if SD took him---as was his right

Users who are viewing this thread