What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recurring themes/people in your dreams (1 Viewer)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
Anyone care to share the things that routinely come to them in dreams?

I, for one, seem to be stuck in high school.  The characters in many of my dreams are my old high school friends despite the fact that I'm now 43 and haven't seen most of these people in over 25 years.  The even weirder thing is that they're not usually of my closest friends, but more second and third tier people.    

The only themes that seem to reoccur are that hot girls like to ignore me and that I have an ability to float around when I want to.    

Sex?

The unique recurring dream I will have every once in a while is the back at high school dream.  The twist mine have is that I am my current age, and I'm going out playing sports.  I was a poor high school athlete and very skinny.  At least in my subconscious, I thought I would have been more able to compete as an adult (though, the way kids are built these days, not realistic).  It's fun trucking high schoolers on the football field in your dreams though.

Another I have is based on a real high school experience.  In the summer before the first year of high school, my parents scheduled our summer vacation so I was gone the first week of summer practice.  I felt like I missed a lot and was behind most of the season.  I occasionally will have a dream that I'm at football practice and everyone is going from drill to drill and I don't know what I'm doing, and I don't have all the right equipment.  Someone shrink that for me.

My parent's house from Cincinnati that I lived in for 4 years always seems to be the "my home" in my dreams.  It's strange. 

And where most people dream about being in high school taking a test they didn't study for, my stress dream is I'm working at Bennigan's (I worked there for 4 years) and my shift has just ended, but as I'm about to leave the host comes up and tells me she seated one last table in my station.  I always freak out because I don't have a pen or paper and I can't seem to know how to operate the POS system.  

One other thing is if I look at my phone, it's some weird OS that is always infected with some virus and I can't access anything on it.

Probably other things, too, but those are the big ones.

For decades, i had three dreamtropes that would recur w maddening regularity. My dreams are more nebulous in old age (except when i tried gabapentin for a nerve condition and it made the needle stick on my dreams til i woke up w palpitations) and i'm happy they are.

The dreamtropes were: pushing car-radio buttons in a frantic search for info necessary to the dreamstory, punches having no effect on their targets (i'm actually kind of a one-punch guy irl) and, of course, the reason why every male is afraid he's gay, giving myself a hummer.

ETA: For a decade after my wife died, i'd regularly dream she was alive and on a mission of some kind against me

Last edited by a moderator:
Sex?

The unique recurring dream I will have every once in a while is the back at high school dream.  The twist mine have is that I am my current age, and I'm going out playing sports.  I was a poor high school athlete and very skinny.  At least in my subconscious, I thought I would have been more able to compete as an adult (though, the way kids are built these days, not realistic).  It's fun trucking high schoolers on the football field in your dreams though.

Another I have is based on a real high school experience.  In the summer before the first year of high school, my parents scheduled our summer vacation so I was gone the first week of summer practice.  I felt like I missed a lot and was behind most of the season.  I occasionally will have a dream that I'm at football practice and everyone is going from drill to drill and I don't know what I'm doing, and I don't have all the right equipment.  Someone shrink that for me.
This you?

Colors:  my dreams always have the same color palate... and it's late 70s/early 80s AF.  Old dull, orange, yellow and brown colors abound... it feels really cheesy and very comforting at the same time. 

And where most people dream about being in high school taking a test they didn't study for
I can't find the classroom I'm supposed to be in.  I went to a small high school with all the classrooms on one floor with basically a rectangular floor plan.  It turns into a bizzaro maze in my dreams.

Haven't had it in awhile,  but I've had dreams of going to middle or high school,  getting there and realizing that I'm not wearing an article of clothing and I'm wondering how I got there without it.  Shoes, pants, shirt.  It's a different article of clothing each time. 

My recurring dreams fall into one of four somewhat related categories:

1) I’m at a new school and don’t know where my classes are. 

2) It’s finals week and I either forgot to study, or I don’t know where the test rooms are. 

3) I’ve got a gig and forgot to practice the songs and don’t know them. 

4) I’ve got a gig and I forgot to bring my equipment. 

An optional added element to any of the four above is that I’m either dressed inappropriately or semi-naked. 

Is it possible that I have some unaddressed anxiety?!?

I can't find the classroom I'm supposed to be in.  I went to a small high school with all the classrooms on one floor with basically a rectangular floor plan.  It turns into a bizzaro maze in my dreams.
I didn’t realize how common all these dreams are. I guess it makes sense. Stress/anxiety manifesting in dreams with common settings shared by most people. 

I've never had the dream where I'm not wearing clothes when I should be.  

One thing that's really weird I totally forgot is this gem:

I don't have nightmares, but I can have dreams where something evil or scary is going on.  Not what I would call a typical nightmare, but I guess fairly close.  But the dream can go from a normal dream to one of these evil dreams in a blink of an eye.  And there's always one telling thing to let me know that the dream is changing: Light switches no longer turn on lights.  

I can be in a house, go into a room, flip the switch, and if the light doesn't come on, it's about to get real.  These dreams used to kind of freak me out, but once I learned the pattern, I can know actually bring myself out of them.  Sometimes I can just tell myself to wake up.  But other times I'll even say in the dream, "Uh-oh.  This is one of those bad dreams."  And I'll have to figure out a way to wake myself up.  But since I'm aware that it's a dream, anything that seems scary or evil won't affect me as long as I acknowledge that I'm just dreaming.  It's really weird.  

I usually get them when I'm really stressed.  Maybe 4 or 5 times a year.  But as soon as I'm in a room and a light won't work, I prepare for the worst.  I've actually been in places where I flip a switch in real life and the light doesn't come on and for a split second my skin crawls thinking about the evil that's coming only to realize I'm not dreaming.  

I've never had the dream where I'm not wearing clothes when I should be.  

One thing that's really weird I totally forgot is this gem:

I don't have nightmares, but I can have dreams where something evil or scary is going on.  Not what I would call a typical nightmare, but I guess fairly close.  But the dream can go from a normal dream to one of these evil dreams in a blink of an eye.  And there's always one telling thing to let me know that the dream is changing: Light switches no longer turn on lights.  

I can be in a house, go into a room, flip the switch, and if the light doesn't come on, it's about to get real.  These dreams used to kind of freak me out, but once I learned the pattern, I can know actually bring myself out of them.  Sometimes I can just tell myself to wake up.  But other times I'll even say in the dream, "Uh-oh.  This is one of those bad dreams."  And I'll have to figure out a way to wake myself up.  But since I'm aware that it's a dream, anything that seems scary or evil won't affect me as long as I acknowledge that I'm just dreaming.  It's really weird.  

I usually get them when I'm really stressed.  Maybe 4 or 5 times a year.  But as soon as I'm in a room and a light won't work, I prepare for the worst.  I've actually been in places where I flip a switch in real life and the light doesn't come on and for a split second my skin crawls thinking about the evil that's coming only to realize I'm not dreaming.  
I kind of glossed over the evil that happens, but the dream will go from happy to a dreadful feeling.  There always seems to be some sort of presence in the room that I can just tell is evil.  Usually I can't see it, but every so often what I'll see is something in the shadows.  Like a dark blob.  It moves quickly and tries to surround me so I can't leave the place I'm in.  It doesn't make any sound at all, but it comes off as very intimidating.  If I yell at it, that I'm not afraid, it will shrink or retreat.  Almost like it's feeding off my fear.  I can't make it go completely away, but I really can't take control of the dream until I show the evil I'm not afraid.  

I kind of glossed over the evil that happens, but the dream will go from happy to a dreadful feeling.  There always seems to be some sort of presence in the room that I can just tell is evil.  Usually I can't see it, but every so often what I'll see is something in the shadows.  Like a dark blob.  It moves quickly and tries to surround me so I can't leave the place I'm in.  It doesn't make any sound at all, but it comes off as very intimidating.  If I yell at it, that I'm not afraid, it will shrink or retreat.  Almost like it's feeding off my fear.  I can't make it go completely away, but I really can't take control of the dream until I show the evil I'm not afraid.  
Any idea what it might represent?

Any idea what it might represent?
No clue.  Like I said, they usually happen around high stress times in my life, but not always.  And there's no real pattern to what the dream is before that gets taken over by the darkness.  I've had sex dreams, dreams where I'm buying a new home, dreams about fun times with my dream friends...  Doesn't matter.  But if I walk into a room and flip the light switch and the light doesn't come on, the good dream is done and the evil takes over.  And what's weird is that the original dream theme is still there.  The people from that dream all are freaking out because of what's happening.  

And where yelling at the darkness will make it retreat, I usually have to yell something like, "I'm not afraid of you!"  Or "You have no power over me!"  Many times, I've woken up from these dreams because I actually yell them in real life.  My wife loves that.   :lol:

I've had dreams of watching aircraft crash ever since I can remember.  Planes, helicopters, you name it.  In a variety of locations / ways.  Not sure what it means.

I've had dreams of watching aircraft crash ever since I can remember.  Planes, helicopters, you name it.  In a variety of locations / ways.  Not sure what it means.
Is it the main focus of the dream or is it just something that happens in dreams?  

I have a regular one about playing golf on a muddy golf course.  I can't get a good stance because of the mud, or my ball will shift in the mud during my backswing.  Readjust my stance and start over, and over, and over.  I'm usually playing with my ex-FIL and he's getting pissed at me for how long it's taking.  And I like/still get along great with the guy.  :shrug:

I have one about being able to dunk everything in basketball also, but that is a lot more fun.  :)  

Is it the main focus of the dream or is it just something that happens in dreams?  
Umm... both, if that makes any sense.  Sometimes it's the main focus (ie, all i can remember) or sometimes it's just something that happens in the course of the dream.

Colors:  my dreams always have the same color palate... and it's late 70s/early 80s AF.  Old dull, orange, yellow and brown colors abound... it feels really cheesy and very comforting at the same time. 
Sounds like your dreamscape is stuck inside a 1979 J. C. Penny catalog.

Haven't had it in awhile,  but I've had dreams of going to middle or high school,  getting there and realizing that I'm not wearing an article of clothing and I'm wondering how I got there without it.  Shoes, pants, shirt.  It's a different article of clothing each time. 
Yes,  I often wonder towards the end of these why I left the house that way.

Yes,  I often wonder towards the end of these why I left the house that way.
For me, it's like I'm at school doing whatever I should be doing and then 15 minutes after I get there, I realize I'm not wearing any shoes or socks and I wonder why I just noticed and how it happened.  LOL.

As a young kid I had a recurring nightmare. I'd be on an old fashioned train. Think Wild Wild West type train. It was speeding out of control, but was going to run out of track and into a chasm. I was being chased towards the front of the train by some monster type thingy.  I'd always wake up either by falling to my doom or being caught. I'd be a wreck of emotions/adrenaline after waking up. One night, knowing that I was dreaming again, I managed to some how jump off the train, over the chasm and the monster dude got stuck on the train and fell into the chasm with the train. I've never had the dream again. And as a bonus, that sparked a wonderful period in my life where I could fly, at will, in my dreams.  

Back in my twenties, when I had a lot of anxiety going on, I would dream I was getting shot. Recurring dream. Then I stopped certain shenanigans and that left me for the most part. When it returns from seemingly out of the blue, I know something is up and that something needs to be addressed. 

Sometimes I'll have dreams about trying to score some drugs and keep it secret from everyone.  Most times I end up getting busted by the police.

It's weird because I haven't used drugs in over 15 years.

I’m sure I do dream, I just don’t remember them upon waking; I do often wake up confused, having to verify where I am, even going through memory bank of confirming my name, date of birth, address, simple stuff like that.

When I was a kid I constantly had sleep paralysis, but only ever when taking a nap on the living room couch.  They were terrifying and I’d often wake up by flopping off the couch after what felt like hours of struggling to move or make sounds in my sleep.  Years later my brother admitted to me about having sleep paralysis when he was a kid.  I was surprised and opened up about having it too (never talked about it, freaked me out that much), and that I only ever had it at our childhood home.  His eyes got big, “mine only happened on the couch...” I interrupted with a “you’re messing with me, right?!  I’ve talked about this and just forgot and now you’re pranking me?!”  Nope, we both had sleep paralysis dreams and only ever independently whilst napping on the living room couch.  Clearly there’s an ancient burial ground under our childhood home

I’m sure I do dream, I just don’t remember them upon waking; I do often wake up confused, having to verify where I am, even going through memory bank of confirming my name, date of birth, address, simple stuff like that.

When I was a kid I constantly had sleep paralysis, but only ever when taking a nap on the living room couch.  They were terrifying and I’d often wake up by flopping off the couch after what felt like hours of struggling to move or make sounds in my sleep.  Years later my brother admitted to me about having sleep paralysis when he was a kid.  I was surprised and opened up about having it too (never talked about it, freaked me out that much), and that I only ever had it at our childhood home.  His eyes got big, “mine only happened on the couch...” I interrupted with a “you’re messing with me, right?!  I’ve talked about this and just forgot and now you’re pranking me?!”  Nope, we both had sleep paralysis dreams and only ever independently whilst napping on the living room couch.  Clearly there’s an ancient burial ground under our childhood home
I had that a while back and wrote about it on here.  Had no clue what it was.  I genuinely thought I was being abducted by aliens.  Not joking at all.  Hands down, the scariest thing that ever happened to me.  I remember I googled something like "aliens waking me up at night using little girl to talk to me" and the first result was "sleep paralysis.' Crazy how everyone has a very similar experience with it.  

Reposted from 1873:

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams;—

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

I haven't had these dreams in years, but in the past sometimes I would dream that I was back in high school and there was test given out that I didn't know about, or I couldn't remember the combination to my locker.

I also would dream about snakes sometimes. I would either be stuck in my car on in my house, and I couldn't get out because there were snakes all in the yard and hanging from trees.

I also occasionally would have tornado dreams. I could see a tornado coming from a distance, and I would be running to find a place to hide from it.  

Another dream I'd have on occasion is I was cop, and I would get shot. I'd always get shot in the stomach, and I could feel the burn in my dream. 

with regular occurrence:

- i'm with a group of friends (nobody specific, all kinda nameless/faceless) and i know something (non-specific) awful is going to happen so i want to warn them. suddenly, i'm standing further away from them so i have to shout to be heard, only i can't get their attention. then i start screaming to them, but no sound comes out.

- working at the parts department at the Nissan dealership. need to put a stock order away, but the boss is always calling me away to do something else. when i go to complete that task, the boss asks me what the hell i'm doing and why the stock order hasn't been put away yet. the scene repeats over and over.

- feeling like i'm floating above my surroundings in a very quiet place outdoors, but i'm actually under water. i know it's nighttime because the sky is dark and i can see stars, but the liquid is kind of yellow/orange. every time i move my arms to try to pull myself forward, i create a single ripple in the water that continues on ahead of me in a perfectly straight line all the way to the horizon. the water is warm and comforting. and about halfway through the dream, i realize that i am dreaming and suddenly all the water goes away and i'm just standing alone in the cold and dark.

with regular occurrence:

- i'm with a group of friends (nobody specific, all kinda nameless/faceless) and i know something (non-specific) awful is going to happen so i want to warn them. suddenly, i'm standing further away from them so i have to shout to be heard, only i can't get their attention. then i start screaming to them, but no sound comes out.

- working at the parts department at the Nissan dealership. need to put a stock order away, but the boss is always calling me away to do something else. when i go to complete that task, the boss asks me what the hell i'm doing and why the stock order hasn't been put away yet. the scene repeats over and over.

- feeling like i'm floating above my surroundings in a very quiet place outdoors, but i'm actually under water. i know it's nighttime because the sky is dark and i can see stars, but the liquid is kind of yellow/orange. every time i move my arms to try to pull myself forward, i create a single ripple in the water that continues on ahead of me in a perfectly straight line all the way to the horizon. the water is warm and comforting. and about halfway through the dream, i realize that i am dreaming and suddenly all the water goes away and i'm just standing alone in the cold and dark.
How long ago did you work at the parts department?  I ask because my Bennigan's job was 25 years ago.  Seems odd that's the job my dreams always go back to.

My dreams have always been way out there.  It's like I take a hit of acid before going to sleep.  

One recurring one I have takes place in ancient egypt.  It's in a city with a bunch of pyramids and temples and I'm walking around it with Jesus, Abraham Lincoln, and George Washington, and a bunch of other random people.  Then we go into one of the temples and sit at a table to eat dinner.  That's usually when I wake up.  

I also frequently have the common dream where I'm in college and I suddenly realize I haven't shown up to class all semester and today is the final.  The way mine differs is that the rest of the class and the professor either have jungle animal heads or have heads from that old twilight zone episode with the pig people who bandage up that woman.  Also there is a jazz band playing at the back of the classroom and there is frequently water slowly dripping from the ceiling.  

TheIronSheik said:
How long ago did you work at the parts department?  I ask because my Bennigan's job was 25 years ago.  Seems odd that's the job my dreams always go back to.
Mine do to.  I worked at a grocery store from 89-94 and I have this reoccurring dream where I go into the store shopping and then realize am I supposed to be working?  Or I haven't been schedule to work in a while do I still have a job?  Or a slight variation I rush into the store in a panic not knowing what my schedule is.  Very strange my dreams always revert back to that job since I've had multiple, way more important jobs since then.

Also have the showing up to class at the end of the semester dream too.  It's either an exam I'm ill prepared for or more often I completely blew off the class project that is due and a huge chunk of my grade.  I'm not an anxious person so no idea where these are coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread