What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Top 5 US Cities to Visit - Exclude Your Own (1 Viewer)

Great thread topic, GB.

Off the top of my head I think I go:

Boise ID

New York, NY

Austin, TX

Portland, OR

San Diego, CA

Honorable Mention

New Orleans, LA

Asheville, NC

Memphis, TN

Buena Vista, CO

San Francisco, CA

Los Angeles, CA

Fernandina Beach, FL

Hilton Head, SC

Last edited by a moderator:
Peoria, IL (hard to beat Big Al’s)

Brazil, IN (mainly because of the popcorn festival)

Effingham, IL (nice lake and cross)

Richmond, IN (a great all-American city)

Kenosha, WI (great Chinese food)

I felt a need to include big cities on my list, but its hard to argue against this. Maybe add Steamboat Springs or Park City to make it five?
Same. My top 10 or 20 would all be in Colorado, upstate Michigan, upstate New York, northern New England, TN/NC mountains. If I had been to the Pacific NW, Utah, or eastern CA probably some of those towns too. 

I don't have much interest in spending more than a day of two in most cities. When we travel we usual parlay one big city with however many small towns we can fit. 

Same. My top 10 or 20 would all be in Colorado, upstate Michigan, upstate New York, northern New England, TN/NC mountains. If I had been to the Pacific NW, Utah, or eastern CA probably some of those towns too. 

I don't have much interest in spending more than a day of two in most cities. When we travel we usual parlay one big city with however many small towns we can fit. 
Yeah, I try to avoid cities as well. Nothing beats a good mountain town.

My family travelled a lot more when I was young, so too many of my experiences are dated and incomplete.  I just feel like I haven't travelled enough as an adult to make a good list of 5.

Cities I know are on my list; NYC & Chicago.  Been to both as an adult and love them both.  Probably stay #1 & #2 regardless.

Cities I've been to and liked, but was too young to form a good opinion; Miami, Honolulu, Atlanta, Denver, DC & San Diego.

Cities I've been to as an adult and thought were decent; Phoenix, KC & Vegas.

Cities I think I would like, but have never been to; San Francisco, Austin, Boston and Seattle.

Jayrod said:
My family travelled a lot more when I was young, so too many of my experiences are dated and incomplete.  I just feel like I haven't travelled enough as an adult to make a good list of 5.

Cities I know are on my list; NYC & Chicago.  Been to both as an adult and love them both.  Probably stay #1 & #2 regardless.

Cities I've been to and liked, but was too young to form a good opinion; Miami, Honolulu, Atlanta, Denver, DC & San Diego.

Cities I've been to as an adult and thought were decent; Phoenix, KC & Vegas.

Cities I think I would like, but have never been to; San Francisco, Austin, Boston and Seattle.
Also, here is a list of cities I've been to as an adult and are out of the running; Dallas, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Detroit, & Indianapolis.

My list will be a little different as while I've traveled and vacationed a lot, it's been isolated to the Southeast (mostly):

• NYC - only been once but thought it was great.  Would never want to live there but going to Manhattan and doing the touristy stuff was awesome would go back tomorrow
  • Orlando - 90% of you will say WTF but if your family loves amusement parks (Disney, Universal) then there's really no better city in probably the world
  • Several Florida Gulf coast cities - if allowed I would lump them all together - if I had to pick one I would say Seaside (where the Truman Show was filmed) - we love beach life and that is a great setting although you are limited in scope - it's just a beach town
  • Nashville/Austin - been a few times to each but neither for long - the vibe seems very similar to me with the country music scene and the BBQ scene - would like to spend more time there
  • D.C. - been a few times but always for work - got to see the sites just enough to take pictures but dying to go back and take in all that the city has to offer
Honorable Mentions:

• Chattanooga - here's a curveball and honestly I would only recommend it to people looking for a cheap/quick getaway that live close by.  It's a perfect 3-day weekend trip for us (we can drive there in a little over an hour) and there's enough to do (local trails, indoor rock climbing, aquarium, museums, IMAX, Lookout Mtn/Ruby Falls, Zoo) that we never get bored.  Throw in some decent restaurants and it's a quick little trip just to get away.
  • Vegas - I get the appeal but it's not really my taste - but there's no denying it's a great destination that everyone should take in at least once
  • San Diego - only went once for business many years ago but seemed really cool and the Zoo was outstanding
  • Denver - spent a day there and visited Estes Park (not sure how far outside the city that is) - was 27 years ago but was really cool
Places high on my list that I'd like to visit:

• Boston, Chicago (spent one day there in the burbs), SF, Pacific Northwest (probably Seattle), New Orleans
Places I have no interest in visiting:

• Dallas, Los Angeles, any city in Delaware - @Ned :bye:

Jayrod said:
Atlanta is a good to great place to live (based on your perspective) but it's a pretty bad city to visit.  Way too spread out, there's no sizzle to any one area - the only one that comes close is the Centennial Olympic park area where the Aquarium, World of Coke, Civil Rights museum and College Football HOF are.  I would compare it to my Chattanooga entry in that it's a decent 3-day weekend trip but that's about it.  And I say this as someone who has lived here 45 years.  I couldn't imagine flying in to Atlanta for a week unless we are hosting some big event.  If you live close enough to drive over then it's fine for killing a few days.

These are all cities we've visited and stayed for at least a week in the last 5 years or so. I don't want to drive in a city, we prefer walk-able and public transport:

1. New Orleans- stay in the Monteleone for a great central location to food and music greatness with alcohol debauchery.

2. NYC (we've graduated from mid-town hotels to East Village apts)

3. Boston- loved the Freedom Trail and old, old taverns. Baseball.

4. Vancouver- we've been many times and the last time we stayed in a hotel a few blocks from Stanley Park that provided bicycles, great daily rides. Excellent PacNW food and vibe.

5. I was happy to see Bend mentioned by others. We stayed in a McMenimans converted old schoolhouse to hipster hotel. Great beer. We saw valet bicycle parking for the first (and only) time at the weekly Thur nite fest on the Deschutes river. We considered moving there.

Honorable mentions- Chicago for baseball and public transport, entertainment.

Denver- walkable, beer, weed, Rockies baseball for $1.

Moab- Nat and state parks are amazing- beer, ballooning, mountain biking.

Atlanta is a good to great place to live (based on your perspective) but it's a pretty bad city to visit.  Way too spread out, there's no sizzle to any one area - the only one that comes close is the Centennial Olympic park area where the Aquarium, World of Coke, Civil Rights museum and College Football HOF are.  I would compare it to my Chattanooga entry in that it's a decent 3-day weekend trip but that's about it.  And I say this as someone who has lived here 45 years.  I couldn't imagine flying in to Atlanta for a week unless we are hosting some big event.  If you live close enough to drive over then it's fine for killing a few days.
Maybe I haven’t traveled enough, but I’ve always found ATL to be an under appreciated food destination.  My bro lived downtown for years (Newnan now after he and the wife had a kid; also a cool town).  Mary Mac’s, Fat Matt’s BBQ, Flying Biscuit, Front Page News, Eats jerk chicken, Virginia Highlands area, lots of awesome options for a guy who lives in chain restaurant hell Orlando

Maybe I haven’t traveled enough, but I’ve always found ATL to be an under appreciated food destination.  My bro lived downtown for years (Newnan now after he and the wife had a kid; also a cool town).  Mary Mac’s, Fat Matt’s BBQ, Flying Biscuit, Front Page News, Eats jerk chicken, Virginia Highlands area, lots of awesome options for a guy who lives in chain restaurant hell Orlando
I agree but I don't know too many folks that would 1. go on vacation for restaurants and 2. would pick Atlanta to be that place over NO, NYC, Chicago (or Paris if non-US).  I don't disagree with you though - maybe it's just me but when we go on vacation I don't look at restaurants until after we've picked the destination.

Only listing places I've been in no particular order:

Sedona, AZ

Napa/Sonoma, CA

Walt Disney World, FL

La Jolla, CA

Denver, CO

Austin - have been once and would love to go back

New Orleans - haven't been

Asheville - have been twice

Tampa - have been twice, probably wind up moving to the Tampa burbs in the next 5-8 years

Key West - haven't been

I agree but I don't know too many folks that would 1. go on vacation for restaurants and 2. would pick Atlanta to be that place over NO, NYC, Chicago (or Paris if non-US).  I don't disagree with you though - maybe it's just me but when we go on vacation I don't look at restaurants until after we've picked the destination.
Riding MARTA from Hartsfield to downtown sure is an entertaining adventure ;)

Portland, OR - My wife and I love this city so much, we're thinking of relocating there.  Have not visited a better overall food city than here and it's not really close.  

Las Vegas, NV - No better time of year then opening weekend of March Madness at the sports books.  

New York - Only been once, but there's so much I didn't get to see and do.  The pizza is as good as advertised.  

Scottsdale, AR - No real reason other than our timeshare has an awesome location here.  It's our go-to weekend relaxation trip.  Slight step down now that I hear Don&Charlie's is closing, however.

Princeville, Kauai - Another top timeshare spot for us.  Hanalei beach, good restaurants, best shave ice we've had in hawaii.  

offdee said:
My city, so I can't put it in the mix, but I project managed the build of this award winning website and Milwaukee is indeed a cool up and coming city (especially in the summer!).  Humor me and check it out.

https://www.visitmilwaukee.org/
I travel quite a bit for business and the trips usually aren't to glamorous spots.  Milwaukee was a city that I was not excited to visit and ended up blowing me away.  So much fun.  Great bars and restaurants near the river, the Brewers park was great.  The people are nice, beer is cold and I ended up really loving it.

in no particular order

Nashville  - I'm stunned at the lack of love for this city.  The music scene in fantastic...and I don't like country music all the much.  Such as cool city

San Diego - Great city with perfect weather

Chicago - In the summertime is a fantastic place to visit.

Lahaina - Cool little beach town on my favorite place in the world...Maui

Hayward WI - Not the town so but all the lakes in the area.  Summertime at the cabin in the upper Midwest is such a fantastic place to be. Hayward is very close to the lake we spent many a summer evening fishing, water skiing, having cocktails on the pontoon boat.  Remembering those times and looking forward to more help we get through the craptastic WI winters.

I travel quite a bit for business and the trips usually aren't to glamorous spots.  Milwaukee was a city that I was not excited to visit and ended up blowing me away.  So much fun.  Great bars and restaurants near the river, the Brewers park was great.  The people are nice, beer is cold and I ended up really loving it.
Too bad the whole place smells like skunked beer.

in no particular order

Nashville  - I'm stunned at the lack of love for this city.  The music scene in fantastic...and I don't like country music all the much.  Such as cool city

San Diego - Great city with perfect weather

Chicago - In the summertime is a fantastic place to visit.

Lahaina - Cool little beach town on my favorite place in the world...Maui

Hayward WI - Not the town so but all the lakes in the area.  Summertime at the cabin in the upper Midwest is such a fantastic place to be. Hayward is very close to the lake we spent many a summer evening fishing, water skiing, having cocktails on the pontoon boat.  Remembering those times and looking forward to more help we get through the craptastic WI winters.
HAYWARD, WI!!!!!  

You know Scupper?  :oldunsure:

I haven't been to some US cities others listed, so my list may change over time.

Jackson, WY
NYC
Chicago
DC
San Diego

I think my list is impacted by being from a relatively small city, with no nearby mountains or beaches.

My list will be a little different as while I've traveled and vacationed a lot, it's been isolated to the Southeast (mostly):

• NYC - only been once but thought it was great.  Would never want to live there but going to Manhattan and doing the touristy stuff was awesome would go back tomorrow
  • Orlando - 90% of you will say WTF but if your family loves amusement parks (Disney, Universal) then there's really no better city in probably the world
  • Several Florida Gulf coast cities - if allowed I would lump them all together - if I had to pick one I would say Seaside (where the Truman Show was filmed) - we love beach life and that is a great setting although you are limited in scope - it's just a beach town
  • Nashville/Austin - been a few times to each but neither for long - the vibe seems very similar to me with the country music scene and the BBQ scene - would like to spend more time there
  • D.C. - been a few times but always for work - got to see the sites just enough to take pictures but dying to go back and take in all that the city has to offer
Honorable Mentions:

• Chattanooga - here's a curveball and honestly I would only recommend it to people looking for a cheap/quick getaway that live close by.  It's a perfect 3-day weekend trip for us (we can drive there in a little over an hour) and there's enough to do (local trails, indoor rock climbing, aquarium, museums, IMAX, Lookout Mtn/Ruby Falls, Zoo) that we never get bored.  Throw in some decent restaurants and it's a quick little trip just to get away.
  • Vegas - I get the appeal but it's not really my taste - but there's no denying it's a great destination that everyone should take in at least once
  • San Diego - only went once for business many years ago but seemed really cool and the Zoo was outstanding
  • Denver - spent a day there and visited Estes Park (not sure how far outside the city that is) - was 27 years ago but was really cool
Places high on my list that I'd like to visit:

• Boston, Chicago (spent one day there in the burbs), SF, Pacific Northwest (probably Seattle), New Orleans
Places I have no interest in visiting:

• Dallas, Los Angeles, any city in Delaware - @Ned :bye:
Chattanooga is a great small city. It's progressive with a surprising number of good restaurants, and a ton of outdoor options. Having been raised in ATL, I'd rather live in Chattanooga and visit Atlanta than vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread