What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do you consider a Po Boy? (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
Got a sandwich for lunch today.  Now this was no authentic type place or anything so i wasn't expecting much, but i order a shrimp po boy and I get:

5 or 6 boiled shrimp, a bit of lettuce, a few pieces of tomato, some remoulade sauce

on a hot dog bun

Now I'm no expert, but this seemed like some grade A bull####, especially for $9.75.

My old man used to love two things. Freshly popped popcorn at sporting events and po boy sandwiches. If there was the scent of popcorn in the air he'd disappear and when he returned you'd always find him with that red and white striped box. For one. Popcorn for one. Never asked if anyone else wanted any. Dude was raised poor. His dad was a barber. So I think it reminded him of being a kid. Like popcorn was the only luxury they could afford growing up. Same thing with po boy sandwiches. For some reason he always thought they were so cool, and would get so pumped and enthused talking about them. Sandwiches. Dude would get all giddy over a sandwich. I never saw him ever actually buy one, but he made them at home with a big, fresh hoagie roll and generous helping of ingredients. Bread was the main attraction though; always super good quality. He would have been super excited to order a shrimp po boy, and would have done so on a special occasion, like a trip to New Orleans or Georgia or something. And, like you, he would've been super let down if that's what he came away with. So I kinda feel you on that. Feel your pain on that one. It sounds like the restaurant might've been unprepared, possibly more focused on slinging seafood, which might explain the inadequate quality of sandwich roll they used.

Same as a sub, grinder or hoagie. They mostly have fried seafood on them because the name orignated from a part of the country where fried fish stuff is more prevalent but I've seen and had a roast beef or turkey po boy as well so I don't think it's exclusive to fried seafood. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bread has to be crispy on the outside, soft and tender bread inside.  Roast beef is the origin, and you've not lived until you've had a debris po-boy.  They aren't just native to Louisiana either; Texas, Mississippi, Bama, Georgia....all over the south but no doubt New Orleans does it the best. 

Know where you can't get a good one? :hot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bread has to be crispy on the outside, soft and tender bread inside.  Roast beef is the origin, and you've not lived until you've had a debris big-boy.  They aren't just native to Louisiana either; Texas, Mississippi, Bama, Georgia....all over the south but no doubt New Orleans does it the best. 

Know where you can't get a good one? :hot:
Tijuana 

Love a great shrimp po boy fully dressed. Acme oyster house in NO serves a good one. Also went to a place I think was called RO seafood that has a great one. Remoulade, lettuce, tomato, pickle. Great bread. Loaded with shrimp 

On our road trip this past weekend, we were talking about parts of the country and what food they're known for.  I said, "Oooo!  Louisiana has Po Boys."  My wife and daughter were completely nonplussed.  So they asked what a Po Boy was.  And as I went to explain, I realized that I actually had no idea.  It's not something I'd eat because I'm a picky eater.  I think I had a Po Boy platter once with fried catfish, which was pretty good.  But honestly, I have no idea what it is.

I'm definitely not an expert but if I ordered one and didn't get something fried, I'd wonder WTF was going on. 

Unless specifically spelled out...I remember ordering a pulled pork po boy somewhere not long ago that was incredible. But I wouldn't expect pulled pork to be fried so we're good there.

Two things I would expect on a standard po'boy would be fried seafood and remoulade. Oyster easily my favorite of the seafood choices.

A hot dog bun sure as hell ain’t it. I don’t usually send food back but I’d have a word with that one. Boiled shrimp too. Hell nah. 

Got a sandwich for lunch today.  Now this was no authentic type place or anything so i wasn't expecting much, but i order a shrimp po boy and I get:

5 or 6 boiled shrimp, a bit of lettuce, a few pieces of tomato, some remoulade sauce

on a hot dog bun

Now I'm no expert, but this seemed like some grade A bull####, especially for $9.75.
I don't like to use the word "authentic" when talking food. It simply has no meaning and food origin stories are typically factless mythology. Interesting and cherished but typically not based upon facts.

The idea of a specific authentic food changes from country-to-country, state-to-state, city-to-city, neighborhood-to-neighborhood, block-to-block, house-to-house, maybe even room-to-room.

To me it sounds like you got a #####y Po-boy.

I don't like to use the word "authentic" when talking food. It simply has no meaning and food origin stories are typically factless mythology. Interesting and cherished but typically not based upon facts.

The idea of a specific authentic food changes from country-to-country, state-to-state, city-to-city, neighborhood-to-neighborhood, block-to-block, house-to-house, maybe even room-to-room.

To me it sounds like you got a #####y Po-boy.
There is such thing as an authentic cheesesteak.  Most places are just making a beef sandwich.  And a terrible one, at that.

Users who are viewing this thread