What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home security system ?? (1 Viewer)

da_budman

Footballguy
So Im getting a home security system.  Preferably wireless.  and also  a device that will lock and unlock the basement door remotely.  I want the whole system to integrate with amazon alexa.  I think 2 cameras minimum but possibly 4 is what im looking for  decent quality but definitely not anything horribly expensive.   I dont want the monthly expense of using a service to monitor the house.....Just a camera that records what goes on outside the house.  I  really dont even know where to start here. Anybody in this business that can help me out here???  Its amazn prime day so that might cut down on the cost.... hoping to spend 300-400 dollars or less.  

I dug back into this recently.  When looking previously it was essentially simplisafe....now there are a ton.  I've decided to go with the ring suite.  It has all the inside monitoring stuff, plus several things for outside (floods, cameras etc).  The equipment seems to get really good reviews over the others as well.  Ordered a starter kit that does most of the inside including the windows downstairs for about $300 yesterday on Amazon.  Then I can expand to add floodlights, doorbell etc later.

Check out Abode (www.goabode.com). Self-monitoring options are very good, and you can also arrange for short-term monitoring by them relatively cheaply if you're going to unreachable on vacation, etc.  Pairs well with other smart devices like locks.

I also ordered a Ring kit yesterday. Went with the 14 piece kit but had to add 6 more sensors. I also went with a Ring Doorbell 2 for the front door. About $400 for that set up with prime day deals. Will pay for itself in 8 months going from $60 a month with ADT monitoring to $10 a month with Ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexa, lock the basement door. Alexa, show me my female captives on my slave cam.

:oldunsure:

Been looking at the Ring security system for awhile and I'm going to order this week since they've got some killer deals right now.

Everything is already discounted and there are additional 20% off codes available for military, first responders, teachers, and students.  I had my daughter use her student email to generate a 20% off code.

The 14-piece 2nd generation kit is regularly $330, on sale for $260, plus 20% off, so $208.

Been looking at the Ring security system for awhile and I'm going to order this week since they've got some killer deals right now.

Everything is already discounted and there are additional 20% off codes available for military, first responders, teachers, and students.  I had my daughter use her student email to generate a 20% off code.

The 14-piece 2nd generation kit is regularly $330, on sale for $260, plus 20% off, so $208.
Have had the ring for my front door and my drive way for the past couple years.    Works great

Ring is a piece of junk.  If someone rings the doorbell it works, otherwise it takes the system at least 20 seconds to notify me of a person at the door if it does at all.

Yes, I've tried adjusting the sensitivity.

Ring is a piece of junk.  If someone rings the doorbell it works, otherwise it takes the system at least 20 seconds to notify me of a person at the door if it does at all.

Yes, I've tried adjusting the sensitivity.
Have their doorbell and alarm for a few years.  It is the hard wired doorbell, so not sure if that makes a difference.  It works great though, no issues.  It is very sensitive to wifi signal and speed though, so if you don't have a great signal to where the ring is, it struggles to work well.  It even picks up my neighbor pulling out of their driveway across the street almost immediately - I actually should adjust that so it stops.

Have their doorbell and alarm for a few years.  It is the hard wired doorbell, so not sure if that makes a difference.  It works great though, no issues.  It is very sensitive to wifi signal and speed though, so if you don't have a great signal to where the ring is, it struggles to work well.  It even picks up my neighbor pulling out of their driveway across the street almost immediately - I actually should adjust that so it stops.
Yes if your wifi connection is weak your performance will not be good.   

It is wifi connected, but not my network's fault.  Its about 20 ft from router with no walls.

Bumping this thread and hoping for some advice. Reminder - I highly recommend Frontpoint for a full home system. Have been a customer for over four years now and have been very happy. They use the Alarm.com app which is easy to use.

Does anyone have experience installing any kind of basic security system at an AirBnB or VRBO? Think multi-month stay and I assume a non-monitored system. Could it make sense to put in a basic system with video and/or a siren alarm for increased security when renting a property? It could be something rudimentary like door/window sensors that trip a loud alarm when opened.

I imagine it would have to be easily uninstalled having done no damage to the doors/windows of the home.

Would I have to alert the home owner?

Any other considerations?

TIA

Bumping this thread and hoping for some advice. Reminder - I highly recommend Frontpoint for a full home system. Have been a customer for over four years now and have been very happy. They use the Alarm.com app which is easy to use.

Does anyone have experience installing any kind of basic security system at an AirBnB or VRBO? Think multi-month stay and I assume a non-monitored system. Could it make sense to put in a basic system with video and/or a siren alarm for increased security when renting a property? It could be something rudimentary like door/window sensors that trip a loud alarm when opened.

I imagine it would have to be easily uninstalled having done no damage to the doors/windows of the home.

Would I have to alert the home owner?

Any other considerations?

TIA
You could do this very easily with Simplisafe and I'm sure Scout and some of the other wireless options. Even the camera based systems like Wyze or Blink.

After research and initially wanting to go with the Google, I'm leaning towards Ring for security purposes. 

Cheapest for equipment and professional monitoring for $10/month or $100 a year is the cheapest out there. Also since it's Amazon backed should be around forever.

Anyone have experience positive or negative with the Ring or just why you decided to go another route?

thinking about installing just the security units for outside doors. In AZ for 6 months during the winter so need something for the home house. home will have wi-fi while gone. can a security system let me know in AZ by cell phone if a door is breached at my home house????????. not enthused about paying a monthly security notification fee.
thanx all.

Son's mom will be renting a couple of rooms in my house starting in September.
She asked about keys. My response was, "OK, but I'll have to see if I can find'em."

thinking about installing just the security units for outside doors. In AZ for 6 months during the winter so need something for the home house. home will have wi-fi while gone. can a security system let me know in AZ by cell phone if a door is breached at my home house????????. not enthused about paying a monthly security notification fee.
thanx all.
Check out Wyze. I have their sensors on all doors/windows and are monitored for $100 year. You can also add cams in tandem. Highly recommend

Eufy Video cams for the win. No monthly fee too.

**** Ring and their ####show of a privacy situation.

Users who are viewing this thread