What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What percentage of social media outrage is fake? (1 Viewer)

What percentage of news that generate an outrage movement was created specifically to turn clocks an

• 0% - Authors are genuinely concerned or outraged, and sharing that true feeling is their only motiva

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 1% - 25% - Authors are primarily concerned with sharing their feelings, but they recognize that they

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 26% - 50% - Authors are primarily concerned with sharing their feelings, but they recognize that the

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 51% - 75% - Authors are primarily concerned with generating reader numbers, so they play up some out

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • 76% - 99% - Authors are primarily concerned with generating reader numbers, so they play up some out

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • 100% - It’s all about the clicks with authors faking personal outrage and fabricating an outrage mov

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Gary Coal Man

Footballguy
NOTE:  The poll was kind of awkward to word so make of it what you will and perhaps comment with your view in a more clear manner than I did in my poll options.

LINK

Internet classified website Craigslist hasn't changed much over the years, and neither has its founder, Craig Newmark. He is still the same nerdy bird-lover (to use his own terms) he always was.

However, the same cannot be said for the digital landscape surrounding Craigslist, which has shifted quite a bit. In a new interview with The Guardian, Newmark gave his opinions on these changes and the current state of social media, the web, and other topics.

You can read his remarks in full right here, but one of the more interesting statements Craig offered during his interview was about the "outrage culture" (as it is often described) we see throughout the modern-day web:

“Americans are much more reasonable and moderate than what you might guess when you see a little Twitter war. But I'm guessing that the purpose of many Twitter wars is to polarise people and, in fact, we've seen that happen because you can often trace some of the fighting groups to the same location. Most of the outrage I've seen in the online world – I would guess 80% – someone's faking it for profit.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most social media outrage is exaggerated.

I doubt that most social media outrage is faked.

And I definitely don't think that 80% of social media outrage is faked for profit.

Total social media outrage as a % of total tweets, posts, etc. is mostly real.  I'm really only on this board and check on twitter.  Most of the people believe what they are writing.

Now, the articles that start a lot of the outrage, a lot of those are manufactured and slanted to generate traffic by inciting outrage.  I'd say a majority of those are faked.

Total social media outrage as a % of total tweets, posts, etc. is mostly real.  I'm really only on this board and check on twitter.  Most of the people believe what they are writing.

Now, the articles that start a lot of the outrage, a lot of those are manufactured and slanted to generate traffic by inciting outrage.  I'd say a majority of those are faked.
Yeah, I totally agree with your differentiation and analysis on both groups.

Users who are viewing this thread