What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL 2019 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread (3 Viewers)

Cameron Wolfe @CameronWolfe

For what’s it worth, I had two Bucs defenders ask me after practice today who No. 27 was. It’s Kalen Ballage. They said he gave them fits all week. The speed and acceleration surprised them.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

#Jets starting ILB Avery Williamson suffered a torn ACL, source said. He had his MRI today and is out for the season. Terrible preseason injury.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

With Arizona already without CB Patrick Peterson for the first six games due to a suspension, it now has lost CB Robert Alford for about two months with a leg injury. Cards shorthanded at CB to open season.

Brady Henderson @BradyHenderson

Pete Carroll said Ziggy Ansah suffered a minor groin pull a few days ago. Doesn't think it'll impact his availability for Week 1, but still no word on if his shoulder will be ready.

Daniel Popper @danielrpopper

Anthony Lynn confirms Keenan Allen is dealing with an ankle injury on top of the sore knee. Says he thinks the ankle injury happened Wednesday.

Doug Kyed @DougKyed

Harry, who isn't practicing, has multiple injuries and wasn't running with the first-team before going down can't logically be considered a projected starter as of today

(N'Keal Harry)

John Daigle‏ @notJDaigle

#Jets beats have been adamant about Ty Montgomery’s involvement in camp, and it showed sans Le’Veon Bell as the former played 16-of-16 first team snaps vs #Falcons, including lining up out wide in 10 personnel. Fantasy’s RB77 remains a late-round steal.

Context Matters‏ @dwainmcfarland

Not sure how bad #Jaguars Alfred Blue's ankle issue is. Foot was trapped under a lot of pressure. Blue was holding off Ryquell Armstead to this point for #2 behind Leonard Fournette. Armstead was held out tonight w/ a concussion.

Context Matters‏ @dwainmcfarland

Not sure how bad #Jaguars Alfred Blue's ankle issue is. Foot was trapped under a lot of pressure. Blue was holding off Ryquell Armstead to this point for #2 behind Leonard Fournette. Armstead was held out tonight w/ a concussion.
Getting a clearer picture of who the #2 RB is going to be in Jacksonville seems big. I'm not convinced they are on the roster yet.

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Big news for the Patriots, with No. 10 still available.

NFL is reinstating Patriots’ WR Josh Gordon, league source tells ESPN.

Cameron Wolfe @CameronWolfe

For what’s it worth, I had two Bucs defenders ask me after practice today who No. 27 was. It’s Kalen Ballage. They said he gave them fits all week. The speed and acceleration surprised them.
So Bucs defenders can't read jerseys and bypass their coaches to ask beat reporters for opponent's info? 

Context Matters @dwainmcfarland

DeVante Adams played first series.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling played all snaps with Adams.

Allison saw the field on 11 personnel looks.

Kumerow appears to be the four.

Jimmy Graham played in 11 and 12 looks out for 21 for Marcedes Lewis. Lewis also played in 12 looks.

David Syvertsen @Ourlads_Sy

#Giants recent WR signing TJ Jones is raising eyebrows in nearly every practice AND has

9 catches - 104 yards - 2 TD in 6 quarters of football.

Brady Henderson @BradyHenderson

Pete Carroll said Ziggy Ansah suffered a minor groin pull a few days ago. Doesn't think it'll impact his availability for Week 1, but still no word on if his shoulder will be ready.
I am willing to bet it does impact his availability for week 1

Terez A. Paylor @TerezPaylor

Another key for the Pack: They must get more from their young WRs than they did in ‘18. Marquez Valdes-Scantling brings the speed they’re looking for in an outside WR, while Jake Kumerow has opened eyes with his consistency. Allen Lazard's energy and effort has also stood out.

Tweets from Mike Giardi @MikeGiardi

Some observations of the Tennessee #Titans for those that are here for that. That's a talented roster but they had issues on both sides of the ball during joint practices versus the #Patriots. (thread)

It starts with the QB. Marcus Mariota is 5 years in. I suspect we know what he is now. Mobile. Smart. Safe. And it's the last part that would worry me some in Tenn. He didn't take many risks in practice. With that receiving group, he should.

I don't think Ryan Tannehill would be an upgrade at the position but one thing you know about the former Dolphins QB is that he will take a risk or 3. This offense might need a kick start at some point. I could see Tannehill giving them that. The problem is it doesn't last.

I like the receiving group. Corey Davis needs to be more consistent but there's no reason why he can't be a top-10 receiver in this league. He has every tool. Taywan Taylor actually was the Titans best WR during these joint practices. Quicks and an ability to get over the top

We didn't see much from Adam Humphries but I thought he was the best target for the Pats to chase in the offseason and they agreed only to come up 2nd to Tennessee. Vrabel said he "felt him" during their first preseason game. If he's healthy, he'll be a great bail out option.

Love the Titans secondary. Kevin Byard is one of the best safeties in all of football and when he took part in 1-on-1's with receivers (and not tight ends) he won. Butler had a very good 2nd half of the year, Logan Ryan is sound as a pound and Adoree' Jackson is uber-talented...

I just wonder how well they'll be able to marry rush with coverage. Harold Landry was quiet these two days but showed flash as a rookie. If Jurrell Casey returns to full form maybe it's a moot point. He demands two bodies. They'll need something week to week from Cameron Wake.

Bucs coach Bruce Arians said Dare Ogunbowale is making a "really strong" case to be the No. 3 running back.

This isn't the first time Arians has singled out Ogunbowale. The Bucs have one of the weakest backfields in the league, so Ogunbowale has some handcuff value behind Peyton Barber and Ronald Jones if he wins the job. Ogunbowale has the pass protection skills to push for a role on third downs.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Aug 17, 2019, 12:30 PM ET

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss

Veteran WR Dontrelle Inman has requested his release from the Patriots, and the club has agreed to release him, per a source.

SEA - WR D.K. Metcalf Needs Knee Surgery         Source: NFL Network - Tom Pelissero

Tom Pelissero writes: "D.K. Metcalf needs knee surgery, per Pete Carroll. Don't think he'll be out long."

"Metcalf's injury happened a few days ago. Carroll said doctors have a clear look on the MRI. Think it'll be a really quick recovery. No details on type of surgery. I asked if Metcalf has shot for Week 1 -- Carroll just repeated they're very optimistic."

Matthew Cannata @CannataPFN

Per Brian Flores, no decision has been made RE: Josh Rosen and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Flores said that ideally, there's one quarterback for the entire season.

To me, that means that Josh Rosen would have the edge if all things are equal, or at least close.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Colts placed new RB D’Onta Foreman and WR Daurice Fountain on Injured Reserve, while signing veteran FA RB Charcandrick West and UDFA RB Marquis Young.

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL

Colts running back D'Onta Foreman tore his biceps, four-month recovery expected. Unfortunate run for former Texans running back, Doak Walker award winner, full recovery expected

Last edited by a moderator:
Erik Bacharach @ErikBacharach

Big development for the #Titans: Derrick Henry, who hadn’t practiced since suffering an injury to his left calf on Day 1 of training camp (July 16), returned to practice today.

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

#Cowboys DE DeMarcus Lawrence (shoulder) is expected to come off the PUP list soon, source says. Lawrence will be limited at first but has been hoping to be ready for Week 1 vs. the #Giants and it looks like that’s a reasonable goal.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Note after a day at the #Redskins: The tentative plan is for RB Derrius Guice (knee surgeries) to get some work in the preseason game vs the #Falcons, I’m told. It’ll likely be his only action of the preseason but getting some contact before the regular season would be important.

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood

LaFleur says TE Jimmy Graham doesn’t need surgery on his finger, and that he’ll be all right.

(Graham dislocated his finger in practice yesterday)

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Chargers SS Derwin James (foot) is expected to miss 3-4 months.

Initially thought to be out for a maximum of three months, James reportedly bent a screw that he had inserted into his foot as a freshman at Florida State, leading doctors to determine the best course of action in removing it. With this recent development, it’s likely Los Angeles moves James to IR with the potential to return later this season. Adrian Phillips is still expected to soak up a full-time role in the Chargers’ secondary.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Aug 19, 2019, 3:59 PM ET

Russell Okung’s return to Chargers uncertain with season approaching

COSTA MESA — It was the exact scenario as the first day of training camp, and one that has repeated throughout the summer for the Chargers.

Russell Okung stood next to teammate Brant Weiss to bookend the left side of the horizontal line, a fitting place for the Chargers’ left tackle who missed his 14th training camp practice on Wednesday.

As he had on the morning of July 25, when Okung revealed that he suffered a pulmonary embolism in June, Okung wore a white hat and his No. 76 jersey to stretch with his teammates.

Perhaps the only difference was how fast Okung sprinted during the high-knees drill. It seemed Okung was going at a faster pace than usual, but there’s no way of knowing without a stopwatch. Okung then proceeded to watch the rest of practice from the sidelines.

There’s also no guessing when it comes to Okung’s return to practice, and it’s highly possible the team, Okung and his doctors don’t know when that will be.

Unlike a torn ACL or any other common football injury, there isn’t a standard recovery time for a pulmonary embolism. It all depends on how Okung’s body reacts to the treatment, and this serious health matter can’t be rushed.

Okung wasn’t exaggerating when he said the health scare was a near-death type of experience. That was confirmed by Dr. George P. Teitelbaum, an interventional neuroradiologist at Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica.

“Could be a fatal event,” Teitelbaum said of what could have occurred if Okung ignored his chest pain and continued to participate in football activities. “You become short of breath, you could collapse, your blood pressure could fall.”

Teitelbaum, who isn’t associated with the Chargers and hasn’t treated Okung, said Okung’s return to football likely wouldn’t start until he’s off blood thinners, which help blood flow smoothly through the veins and arteries, and keep blood clots from getting bigger or forming. Okung said in his statement that blood clots caused him to have a pulmonary embolism.

“(Okung’s doctors) would undoubtedly be looking for wherever the blood clot came from, if they don’t find it, he’s still going to be treated the same way,” Teitelbaum said. “While you’re on those medications (blood thinners), you cannot do things that would endanger you, such as using a knife or riding a bicycle, doing any sort of contact sports. If you injure the joint, say your knee, you can get tremendous swelling because of bleeding into the joints and this can damage or destroy the joint.

“Then the other would be getting hit in the head and getting a concussion. That could turn a simple concussion into a major, life-threatening (injury) in the brain. It would sort of be suicide to try to do very vigorous and dangerous contact sports while you are on (blood thinners).”

No update has been provided since Okung made his announcement last month. But he has been present at practices, meetings and provided guidance for his offensive line teammates.

If Okung, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, isn’t ready for the start of the season, there are many routes the Chargers can go. For players on the non-football injury list, like Okung, the rules are similar to players on the physically unable to perform list, which  prevents the player from playing and practicing for the first six weeks of the regular season.

Okung’s teammates are hopeful that he returns this season, but they’re not rushing him.

“It’s kind of one of those things you don’t want to talk about,” Chargers guard Dan Feeney said. “It’s real life stuff. One of those things that changes in a split second. I’m praying for (Okung). I’m hoping for him.

“He’s getting the best care that he can to get back here as fast as he can, but healthy. You don’t want to risk his health for football, but we definitely miss him.”

Okung won’t be participating for the Chargers’ two-day joint scrimmage with the New Orleans Saints that starts Thursday. Current starting left tackle Trent Scott will be tasked with slowing Saints star pass rusher Cameron Jordan, and Okung will be there to assist Scott in any way he can.

Bengals coach Zac Taylor said LT Cordy Glenn (concussion) likely won’t play until the season opener.

The hits just keep coming in Cincinnati’s trenches as this news follows OG Christian Westerman’s recent retirement. The team will also likely be without LT Jonah Williams (torn labrum) and OG Clint Boling (retirement) for all of 2019. If Glenn isn’t able to play Week 1, the Bengals will roll out makeshift protection consisting of LT Andre Smith, LG Michael Jordan, C Billy Price, RG John Miller and RT Bobby Hart (then cross their fingers) in Seattle.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Aug 19, 2019, 4:36 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread