What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Glasses Guys - What are you wearing? (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
With the aging demographics of this site, this seems relevant. It looks like we have a few threads on advice for lenses and prescription advise but not on actual fashion/styles of frames. I used to manage a chain retail optical store, so I've always had some interest (and lots of different frames thanks to a friendly optometrist and optician who still hook me up cheap).

I have a fairly strong prescription so I tend toward plastic frames or smaller metal that won't show the thickness on the edges (I always get the high index thin lenses and usually a polished edge as well if the lens can be seen at all). I've got a fairly narrow head as well, so the wider/larger frames don't ever look quite right - just noticed all three pairs I'm wearing these days are 53/17.

I've worn the Ray Ban 8901 for the most part over the last few years. I've had other pairs but for comfort and look, I keep coming back to them.

My wife loves the way the Nike 7090 look on me, so I wear them second most, again they're lightweight and very comfortable.

I have a pair of Polo PH1157 frames as well (gunmetal colour), I'll wear for work sometimes or in more formal settings. It takes some time adjusting to the nose pieces from the plastic frames, so they get bumped down a bit. 

So, what is everyone wearing these days? :nerd:   :nerd:   :nerd:   :nerd:   :nerd:  

Last edited by a moderator:
With the aging demographics of this site, this seems relevant. It looks like we have a few threads on advice for lenses and prescription advise but not on actual fashion/styles of frames. I used to manage a chain retail optical store, so I've always had some interest (and lots of different frames thanks to a friendly optometrist and optician who still hook me up cheap).

I have a fairly strong prescription so I tend toward plastic frames or smaller metal that won't show the thickness on the edges (I always get the high index thin lenses and usually a polished edge as well if the lens can be seen at all). I've got a fairly narrow head as well, so the wider/larger frames don't ever look quite right - just noticed all three pairs I'm wearing these days are 53/17.

I've worn the Ray Ban 8901 for the most part over the last few years. I've had other pairs but for comfort and look, I keep coming back to them.

My wife loves the way the Nike 7090 look on me, so I wear them second most, again they're lightweight and very comfortable.

I have a pair of Polo PH1157 frames as well (gunmetal colour), I'll wear for work sometimes or in more formal settings. It takes some time adjusting to the nose pieces from the plastic frames, so they get bumped down a bit. 

So, what is everyone wearing these days? :nerd:   :nerd:   :nerd:   :nerd:   :nerd:  
Was wearing the Polo PH1157, or something really similar, but switched two years ago to these:

https://www.glassesusa.com/black-medium/muse-m-classic/39-p9146.html?promo=yousave65&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1L_X5du-4wIVF_5kCh1y0wjSEAQYAiABEgIBTPD_BwE

and these

https://www.visionworks.com/eyeglasses/mens/perry-ellis/pe-347/sku170183

TurboFlex TF2465 - so for me, all glasses look (for the most) the same and I don't really care about the frame branding.  At this point,  I'm more about the function because I've bent, dropped, banged up so many frames over the years, now I just want something with some flexibility.  Link to video demo on the frames.  Insofar as lenses go, I get the HD progressive, transition, anti-reflective and UV coating.  And I just have a pair of prescription sunglasses for driving.  I get everything from Costco, I have eyeglass insurance through my work so most of the cost is covered, I think my out of pocket is like $250 or something for the everyday glasses and I think I usually hit a sale at Costco and get the prescription sunglasses for $50 or something?  I get glasses every other year, my prescription changes about every 4 or 5 years.

On my second pair of Nike's. 

Very comfortable and light. 

Normally I wear a fairly modest pair with a thin brown frame and oval lenses. However, I had a bunch of HSA money that was expiring last year so I "splurged" on a pair of Oakley Tincup frames.

They look OK on me, but I will probably go back to my old pair for 2 reasons:

1. I prefer glasses that hang off the ears (rather than using pressure to hold tight against my skull).

2. the lenses are too close to my face. Because I am nearsighted, I don't need glasses for reading. When I wore my old glasses around the house or in the office, I could just "peek" under (or over) the lenses whenever I needed to read something. But that's not possible with the Oakleys, so I end up taking them off 10 times a day to read things.

Bought Dad glasses for about 10 years.  Then went to a high end shop with some HSA money burning a hole in my pocket and was told roughly, "nobody looks any *younger* in those glasses."  Thanks, guy.  Oh, and I'll  buy what you choose.  Currently wearing Blackfin Seascale.  Like em a lot.  

only have readers i wear for when needed.

Sometimes i wear at my desk all day.  Bought a 3 pack on Amazon for $11

I started wearing progressives a couple years ago and really like them.  Takes a bit to get used to not moving your head, just adjust your eye direction but I like them.  I dont pay much attention to my brand, whatever looks OK and not too expensive is my theory. Currently sporting some Costco frames and I don't even know the brand. :)

I think the size of my gut distracts from my face anyway.

Normally I wear a fairly modest pair with a thin brown frame and oval lenses. However, I had a bunch of HSA money that was expiring last year so I "splurged" on a pair of Oakley Tincup frames.

They look OK on me, but I will probably go back to my old pair for 2 reasons:

1. I prefer glasses that hang off the ears (rather than using pressure to hold tight against my skull).

2. the lenses are too close to my face. Because I am nearsighted, I don't need glasses for reading. When I wore my old glasses around the house or in the office, I could just "peek" under (or over) the lenses whenever I needed to read something. But that's not possible with the Oakleys, so I end up taking them off 10 times a day to read things.
A quick trip to Mexico and you could have gotten Orkley Tencups for 1/50th the price.

After I stopped dying my hair and grew a beard, I noticed I was looking washed out in pictures, really white especially next to Mrs. Eephus.  So I went with a chunkier black frame Cutler and Gross 1012 (like these but in black).  I wouldn't have gone with something so bold when I was younger but it seems to work.

I wear a pair of Marchon NYC.  I've had it for a few years now, and just been updating the lens the last couple of years.  Might be time for a new pair.  :blackdot:

You guys will gay up anything on this site. Been rocking a pair of "I have no ####### idea brand" frames for 10 years.

Can barely see out of the glasses because they are scratched up so bad, need to schedule to get a new pair just haven't.

Contacts for 14 years or so, old glasses with a prescription from when I was in college for when I've already taken them out for the night. Would never wear the glasses out on purpose. Guess I'm lucky I've never had any sort of eye infection or I'd be screwed, should probably pick up a new backup pair of glasses.

I'd wager most of the people I've met in the last ten years would mostly be shocked to find out I need glasses. Just always wear the contacts, I don't even think about it anymore. 

Contacts for 14 years or so, old glasses with a prescription from when I was in college for when I've already taken them out for the night. Would never wear the glasses out on purpose. Guess I'm lucky I've never had any sort of eye infection or I'd be screwed, should probably pick up a new backup pair of glasses.

I'd wager most of the people I've met in the last ten years would mostly be shocked to find out I need glasses. Just always wear the contacts, I don't even think about it anymore. 
I'd wear contacts if not for the conjunctivitis I got when I was eighteen that they no longer issue drops for because the chemicals in the drops made the fishies die.

Yes, this is true. I think they figured it out years ago, but by then, contacts irritated the heck out of me.

I'd wear contacts if not for the conjunctivitis I got when I was eighteen that they no longer issue drops for because the chemicals in the drops made the fishies die.

Yes, this is true. I think they figured it out years ago, but by then, contacts irritated the heck out of me.
Damn. 

I know many people whose eyes can't take contacts, so that's understandable. I hated them at first in HS but "needed" them for sports and then wore them more and more as time went on. Now it's just a twice-daily ritual to put them in and later take them out, I don't even think about it, it's like needing to brush my teeth. 

Damn. 

I know many people whose eyes can't take contacts, so that's understandable. I hated them at first in HS but "needed" them for sports and then wore them more and more as time went on. Now it's just a twice-daily ritual to put them in and later take them out, I don't even think about it, it's like needing to brush my teeth. 
I wore contacts for years but quit when we had kids.  Just part of a larger resignation to my fate.

In retrospect, I'm amazed I was able to get them out of my eyes and into the case every night.

I wore contacts for years but quit when we had kids.  Just part of a larger resignation to my fate.

In retrospect, I'm amazed I was able to get them out of my eyes and into the case every night.
People who get too high or drunk really need to stay away from contacts.  Too easy to flush them down the sink or try to put both in the same eye.

belljr said:
only have readers i wear for when needed.

Sometimes i wear at my desk all day.  Bought a 3 pack on Amazon for $11
I'm in the readers boat too... except what started as only for reading has now expanded to needing them for most things within a 4-6' radius instead of arm's length.

tortoise, rayban style eyebobs.

but my noggin is so huge, they (and every reader I've bought) don't fit right front to back. I've always thought I need to start a melon-head business, hats, glasses, etc catered to the larger brained crowd. XXL- still too small for everything for me.

Andy Dufresne said:
I loved my Silhouettes too for years. So light and comfortable. 

Went a little thicker and bolder (for me) a number of years ago and have changed the lenses a few times on these Banana Republic Garrick’s https://www.amazon.com/Banana-Republic-Garrick-Satin-Light/dp/B00BT0R12U I’m about ready to try something new again for my everyday glasses so it’s cool to see the ideas here.

For prescription sunglasses I have these sweet Rayban 3534’s in Gunmetal https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/RB3534 MALE 004-rb3534-gunmetal/8053672497724?cid=PM-FGS_300419-PLAUS_8053672497724&cid=PM-FGS_300419-PLA+-+Smart+Shopping+-+All+Products+-+June+2019-8053672497724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi63gtdC_4wIVl5OzCh0a4Az7EAQYAiABEgL4MvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds with custom mirror coating (Chicago Collection- Pastel Mirror 2) from Opticote http://www.opticote.com/mirror-coating.php

I have worn contacts since I was 16. I turned 48 last November and went back to glasses full time. I was wearing readers or carrying my readers 90% of the time to do or read anything within two feet of my face.  

I also now have the new version of bifocals and I don’t know if you can get that with contacts?

I would like to get a prescription pair of sunglasses without breaking the bank. Any suggestions? 

I also now have the new version of bifocals and I don’t know if you can get that with contacts?

I would like to get a prescription pair of sunglasses without breaking the bank. Any suggestions? 
To tag onto that, does anybody who wears bifocals have a pair of distance-only sunglasses?  Does that work? 

The progressive lenses really drive the price of sunglasses up; I'd like to avoid that if I could for a spare pair.

Users who are viewing this thread