What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Space Jam 2 (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I just read on Wikipedia that Damian Lillard is scheduled to be in Space Jam 2 along with Anthony Davis, Klay Thompson, and, of course, LeBron James.  I was thinking of a couple of other current NBA guys that could be in the film, and the only names I could think of are Blake Griffin and Jimmy Butler.

Looking back at the original Space Jam, it featured a starting five of Muggsy Bogues, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Larry Johnson, and Shawn Bradley playing against Michael Jordan and the Looney Tunes.  If it is true that Blake Griffin and Jimmy Butler will join Klay Thompson, Anthony Davis, and Damian Lillard in playing LeBron and the Looney Tunes, will that prove to be as successful as the original Space Jam?

I just read on Wikipedia that Damian Lillard is scheduled to be in Space Jam 2 along with Anthony Davis, Klay Thompson, and, of course, LeBron James.  I was thinking of a couple of other current NBA guys that could be in the film, and the only names I could think of are Blake Griffin and Jimmy Butler.

Looking back at the original Space Jam, it featured a starting five of Muggsy Bogues, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Larry Johnson, and Shawn Bradley playing against Michael Jordan and the Looney Tunes.  If it is true that Blake Griffin and Jimmy Butler will join Klay Thompson, Anthony Davis, and Damian Lillard in playing LeBron and the Looney Tunes, will that prove to be as successful as the original Space Jam?
"successful" how?

Do kids even know who Bugs Bunny is now?

Also, why are the only names you could think of? Why not Steph Curry? Kevin Durant? Kawhi Leonard? Zion? etc etc?

would the looney tunes team win?  is that what you are asking?

the only other name that i can think of aside from Butler and Griffin is Guerschon Yabusele,

This movie is going to stink. A Lebron vanity project as he continues to try and follow in MJ's footsteps isn't going to be good at all. 

I also know that some WNBA stars are going to be part of the sequel as well, including Diana Taurasi and the Ogwumike sisters, Nneka and Chiney.

I heard Jake Layman turned them down.

And I expect this movie to do pretty well. The young fans out there will drive it while old guys like all of you whine about it.

I don't think it will do amazing.

I mean the original SJ was unique in that it had the blending of animation and real life (ala Who Framed Roger Rabbit).  That was something that brought viewers in even if you were not basketball fans. Now we know SJ2 will be a CGI-fest. Heck tampon commercials have CGI in them--so this is not something new that will wow people. The first SJ franchise brought in 6 BILLION in revenue.

When SJ came out it was at the height of a player driven NBA. They were celebrating their 50th anniversary. You had Jordan, Barkley, Shaq, a young Kobe. You had the Bulls trying to make history. This was an exciting time for the NBA. Now, the NBA is exciting for another reason--player movement. Don't get we wrong, I am a big NBA fan, so this year is going to be great to watch, but back then everyone could identify Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman and Magic. How many current NBA stars could the average, non-NBA diehard person identify picture wise, outside of LBJ, Curry, maybe Harden (because of the beard)?  There just isn't that non-fan attraction to this movie.

Here is biggest thing. MJ vs LBJ.  MJ embraced the Looney Toons role. He was charismatic and easily the most identifiable athlete in history. He was funny and could pull off self-deprecating and do comedy. People liked MJ. Lebron is different. He is an amazing player, but he is not likable. IMO he takes himself way too seriously. Sure he is extremely popular but no where near MJ level.

I just think this is a big mistake for LBJ to try this. It smells of him following in the footsteps of MJ and he can't. There is only one MJ.

Courtjester said:
I don't think it will do amazing.

I mean the original SJ was unique in that it had the blending of animation and real life (ala Who Framed Roger Rabbit).  That was something that brought viewers in even if you were not basketball fans. Now we know SJ2 will be a CGI-fest. Heck tampon commercials have CGI in them--so this is not something new that will wow people. The first SJ franchise brought in 6 BILLION in revenue.

When SJ came out it was at the height of a player driven NBA. They were celebrating their 50th anniversary. You had Jordan, Barkley, Shaq, a young Kobe. You had the Bulls trying to make history. This was an exciting time for the NBA. Now, the NBA is exciting for another reason--player movement. Don't get we wrong, I am a big NBA fan, so this year is going to be great to watch, but back then everyone could identify Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman and Magic. How many current NBA stars could the average, non-NBA diehard person identify picture wise, outside of LBJ, Curry, maybe Harden (because of the beard)?  There just isn't that non-fan attraction to this movie.

Here is biggest thing. MJ vs LBJ.  MJ embraced the Looney Toons role. He was charismatic and easily the most identifiable athlete in history. He was funny and could pull off self-deprecating and do comedy. People liked MJ. Lebron is different. He is an amazing player, but he is not likable. IMO he takes himself way too seriously. Sure he is extremely popular but no where near MJ level.

I just think this is a big mistake for LBJ to try this. It smells of him following in the footsteps of MJ and he can't. There is only one MJ.
His accountant disagrees 

Capella said:
Footballguys.com: once again not even close to being the target audience 
If I'm not mistaken about the target demo, though, the guys at footballguys.com will be the demographic expected to pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capella said:
Eh, it's a sequel to a 20 year old film. They're aiming for the new age of LeBron loving kids just as much as they're looking to bring back older nostalgia viewers.

Sports fans that actually part with money to watch live sporting events including those pricey live games at the Stadiums not just on TV, you think that's not the target audience to draw in a movie, starring one of the premier athletes on the planet? 

-I think they are trying to draw some of us in but I haven't been to the movies since...I hate to say this but...CATS! I had to take Mrs on Christmas and it was the least violent of anything that was playing and she loves Broadway so we went. When that's your last movie and you've been to both the Cineramadome and Mann's Chinese, that's a bitter pill to swallow. 

Honestly, nothing that has come out since they gave the all clear has interested me much in wanting to go sit down in a dark room with strangers for 2 hours but I'm sure something will eventually draw me in. Once the movies got fairly affordable let's say we stopped going as much. When I lived in SoCal I went all the time, also they have better theaters than any of the Florida ones I've been to. 

Looks ridiculously stupid

Yep, and the 6 yr old said she wanted to watch it, so I might be reporting back soon.  
We watched it last night. It is stupid and not that good, BUT, with kids that are 14 and 11, there are few movies that everyone will sit down and watch together. This was one of them. It was nice for the whole family to sit together and watch something everyone was into. So there is that……….

Users who are viewing this thread