What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corvette: Mid-Engine (1 Viewer)

Chevy revealed the new mid-engine Corvette.

0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds. Looks incredible. All for under $60k (for the base).

I admit I'm biased - my Dad worked for GM for 42 years. But it seems like they knocked it out of the park on this one. I hope it tests as well as it seems.
For anybody that has gone car shopping recently, I think we can agree that the $60k base does not accurately reflect the price of the vehicle most people would want to drive/purchase.

Looks like a Corvette merged with a Ferrari IMO, which is what they are going for. Supposedly they just couldn't squeeze any more performance out of a front-engine car and keep up with the other supercars. I think it looks awesome, but I understand some of the negativity. In addition to the mid-engine move, they dropped the manual transmission as well.

Looks like a Corvette merged with a Ferrari IMO, which is what they are going for. Supposedly they just couldn't squeeze any more performance out of a front-engine car and keep up with the other supercars. I think it looks awesome, but I understand some of the negativity. In addition to the mid-engine move, they dropped the manual transmission as well.
WHAT!?

The C7 is a better looking car. Who cares how fast it goes, there is always something faster. looks cool but I agree with Andy. Sadly it really looks like a freaking Acura NSX.

It does look an awful lot like an NSX.  NSX's look awesome but agree it's a Vette, it can be different from other Vettes but shouldn't be like some other brand imo.

Love the car and all of that but I'm not getting rid of my Corvette until the C8 comes with a manual transmission.  If it never comes, I'll look at a gently used C7 or I'll jump ship and get a Porsche 911 when the time comes.  I do really like the design, I've driven DCT's and they're amazing and all of that but I enjoy the experience of rowing my own gears.  I don't know how many cars I've bought over the years but I've never bought an automatic for myself and I don't plan on it anytime soon.

Just saw one of these on the road today- it looks incredible in person. The guy driving it was going the speed limit though, I was really wanting him to open it up but it had manufacturers plate and this guy obviously was doing some kind of test on it. 

Switching to a mid-engine configuration is supposedly much more expensive.... shocked to see they've kept a $60k price point. Looks sweet!

For anybody that has gone car shopping recently, I think we can agree that the $60k base does not accurately reflect the price of the vehicle most people would want to drive/purchase.
Maybe, but at least there is a low-end that is pinned to some number that is actually attainable. I'm kind of shocked to be honest that the starting point isn't 6-figures now that there are pickup trucks that are 6-figures. And people scratch their heads when it turns out car sales are down recently.

The C7 is a better looking car. Who cares how fast it goes, there is always something faster. looks cool but I agree with Andy. Sadly it really looks like a freaking Acura NSX.
But the signature look of the old Corvettes was a giant hood(when compared to modern performance cars), right? If the Engine wasn't going to be there anymore do you expect them to have a giant trunk in the front of the car? If the whole point of the exercise was to keep performance competitive with super cars I don't know how they could have a body similar to the old style, have a mid engine sports car with the engine between the driver and the back wheels, without adding to the weight and making handling suffer overall. I think if someone photoshopped a corvette hood on the front of this thing they would see exactly what I mean.

I think they did an amazing job..... but to be completely honest I think the NSX is a pretty amazing car too. If people don't care about performance and just want something that looks more like a 70's muscle car why wouldn't they just buy a 70's muscle car?

80k is a decent luxury suv.  I mean you can barely find a f150 for under 60k. 

I don't get why they felt it necessary to complete on the supercar level.

Is the typical Corvette buyer really worried about being in that space?

Paddle shifters though. Still...BOOOOO!
Mustang did the same thing, IIRC. Guess it's the going trend. They (in the Mustang blurb I read) said they "guaranteed" the however-many-speed auto transmission would impress even the hard core stick guys. Call me skeptical until I actually try it. 

Who is the Corvette buyer?   

If you want a Corvette go to a Mecum auction and for 60k you can get a real one.  

Who is the Corvette buyer?   

If you want a Corvette go to a Mecum auction and for 60k you can get a real one.  
Don't get me wrong, I love the look of old Vettes and would love to own one, but lets be real, they didn't drive or handle great and the maintenance on them will not be the same.

Maybe, but at least there is a low-end that is pinned to some number that is actually attainable. I'm kind of shocked to be honest that the starting point isn't 6-figures now that there are pickup trucks that are 6-figures. And people scratch their heads when it turns out car sales are down recently.
Sure the 60K price is attainable, but the Corvette you get at that price is not going to get you 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds as the OP mentions.

Sure the 60K price is attainable, but the Corvette you get at that price is not going to get you 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds as the OP mentions.
I wouldn't believe the specs on 0-60, etc. until reviewers go out and test it.  The article is just what Chevy is saying at this point as no one has driven it outside of GM.

I would guess they have finally realized that they can't sell to the Baby Boomers forever.  :shrug:

I read in an article announcing the new C8 that said that the average age of a Corvette convertible buyer is 67 years old. BMW 6-series is 54, and the Nissan GT-R is 33. Looks like they are trying to freshen up the image and go after younger car buyers and shed the divorced/retired old dude image.

I would guess they have finally realized that they can't sell to the Baby Boomers forever.  :shrug:

I read in an article announcing the new C8 that said that the average age of a Corvette convertible buyer is 67 years old. BMW 6-series is 54, and the Nissan GT-R is 33. Looks like they are trying to freshen up the image and go after younger car buyers and shed the divorced/retired old dude image.
Maybe. But I thought that younger crowd wasn't really buying cars at all. Much less $60k ones. :shrug:

They are going to sell a ####load of these over the next few years... but nobody is buying one for $60k anytime soon. Probably not even $75k. 

No, but the base model will have the same body and will probably be in mid 3s instead of 2.8. Will still be an insanely sexy/fast car for ~60k. 

Ford sells a lot of the base ####ty ecoboost mustang too. This will be nearly a full second faster than the GT-350 for less money. :banned:

I think it looks awesome.    I think I missed the window for owning a corvette.   I don't think I want to get in and out of a car that sits on the ground.      I would love to own one.   

BTW a person would never be able to manually change gears faster than the dual clutch system that comes with this new Corvette. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0FjkvFQcso

Last edited by a moderator:

Corvette sales were down last year, because all of the old dudes were waiting for this car.

No, but the base model will have the same body and will probably be in mid 3s instead of 2.8. Will still be an insanely sexy/fast car for ~60k. 
Not only that but I think the big improvement they were looking for in this car was the handling, to achieve better track times. 

I just have no interest in drag racing. None. If that was your goal wouldn't you be driving an electric car anyway?

I get the folks who are saying it doesn’t look like a vette. Fair point. But a great looking car. And supercar for us to show the world we can beat them at a fraction of the cost. 

The scary part is those are the performance numbers out of the base model. What will the Z06/ZR1 offer?  Buh bye Lambo. 

Would love to own something like this one day, but looks like it’s a true two seater. Not all that practical for us family dudes. 

I like it. They did a great job both inside and out.

However, I still have little confidence in a lot of American made cars in terms of quality, reliability, etc.

Probably a great car to drive something like 1000 miles a year. Definitely not a daily driver.

I think it looks awesome.    I think I missed the window for owning a corvette.   I don't think I want to get in and out of a car that sits on the ground.      I would love to own one.   

BTW a person would never be able to manually change gears faster than the dual clutch system that comes with this new Corvette. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0FjkvFQcso
Of course a DCT is faster than a manual. But that’s not the point. It’s fun to drive a manual. 

Users who are viewing this thread