What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Job Crossroads (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
Sorry for the long-winded post here....

I've been totally unsatisfied with my current job since... well... since I took it about 2 years ago.  It's a desk job, and I was told there would be some field work.  Nope.  I hate sitting at a desk all day.   And my recent back issues are a real indicator of why I hate it.  The job is oftentimes stressful, and it's at a big company so there's a lot of dumb "big company" crap to deal with.  Middle management watching over your shoulder, TPS reports, ridiculous and uneventful conference calls, etc.

I have an interview with a manufactured homebuilder on Tuesday (my birthday, for those that need to update their notebooks), which I'm actually fairly excited about.  I would be leading their acquisitions efforts and also spearheading renovation efforts.  Basically they have their "higher-ups" doing this stuff and they need someone to handle the day-to-day work of their real estate and construction efforts.  Right up my alley, and I'm guessing there will be a ton of upward mobility.  The industry is growing big-time.  I would be traveling all across the west coast and Pacific Northwest.  I LOVE to travel for work, and I've never really explored the PNW.  I figure I'd be in Salt Lake City, Boise, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix... Company is local, and I'd be "the new guy".  Will know more on Tuesday.

Thing is, I've been talking to a buddy of mine about coming back to his company for several months now.  This company was the first I worked for in this industry.  Started in 1999 (WOW 20 years ago!) as an assistant PM.  Worked for them for a couple years, and then got a gig with an architecture firm (more money/responsibility).  When that gig ended, came back to the consulting firm.  Worked with them for several years and then ended up working as a remote consultant, as me and the now-wife moved to Austin.  Once projects dried up there, I worked out-of-industry for a few years.  Then they had another opportunity for me in 2014 and we moved back to California.  I was with them a couple years and then our #1 client kicked us to the curb and so I was basically left with nothing to do, so they had to let me go.  So basically I've worked with them off-and-on for the better part of 20 years.  Probably 10ish years in sum.

Now 3 years later they are on the verge of getting a couple of big projects with an investor in student housing projects in Dallas and Indianapolis.  My buddy (who was just a PM back in '99, now he basically owns a third of the company) is going to need help, and I'm first on his list.  Going back to this company is VERY appealing.  I know everyone, it has a "family feel", and it's a top-notch company.  Small and family-oriented.  Would be doing work that I really enjoy, and I'd be traveling for this gig too.  I'd be in Dallas (and likely Austin) monthly and probably in Indianapolis as well.  I still have a ton of friends in Austin and I'd absolutely love to spend a day or two out there every month.  Problem is, the deal is not inked and I'm not sure when (or even if) I'd be able to start here.

So.... not sure what to do here.  Something feels compelling about the builder gig.  Growing industry, and I could spearhead a division that they don't even have yet.  Lots of opportunity here.

Or do I go to where I feel EXTRA comfortable, able to work with a good friend, travel to a city that I love and could have fun after work is done for the day.  But... always a hint of instability with this company.  

Thoughts, schtick, etc. welcomed....

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go back to work for your buddy, would it be another situation where the job ends as soon as the big project ends? If so..........I'd lean towards the manufactured home company.
The student housing deals would be a 4-year lifespan, and I'm quite confident that we would generate enough business to sustain me being there long term.  I am going to have lunch with him on Thursday and am going to tell him about the builder gig (which I'll know more about after Tuesday).  I will most certainly bring up my reluctance to sign on with his company again if there's gonna be instability.

If you go back to work for your buddy, would it be another situation where the job ends as soon as the big project ends? If so..........I'd lean towards the manufactured home company.
The student housing deals would be a 4-year lifespan, and I'm quite confident that we would generate enough business to sustain me being there long term.  I am going to have lunch with him on Thursday and am going to tell him about the builder gig (which I'll know more about after Tuesday).  I will most certainly bring up my reluctance to sign on with his company again if there's gonna be instability.
The 4-year commitment would make me lean back towards your buddy. Are you at all concerned that the new dynamics (him being part owner, you being much more than just an assistant PM) could lead to tension that could strain your relationship?

The 4-year commitment would make me lean back towards your buddy. Are you at all concerned that the new dynamics (him being part owner, you being much more than just an assistant PM) could lead to tension that could strain your relationship?
Not at all.  We work great together.  Always have.  I know what my role would be and I would be coming in at a nice level.  Smaller company, but would probably be listed as an Vice President or something like that.

I will definitely know more Tuesday and then Thursday.  

If you think you'd be happy doing either of the possible new jobs, then I would fall back on which one pays more and how it would impact family (more time away, do you have to move, will you be working with attractive co-eds, etc.)

If you think you'd be happy doing either of the possible new jobs, then I would fall back on which one pays more and how it would impact family (more time away, do you have to move, will you be working with attractive co-eds, etc.)
Anything besides what I'm doing right now would make me infinitely happier.  I think they'll pay about the same... not sure which one will have more financial "room to grow" at this point.  I think travel would be about the same.  But one would have me in a few different cities along the west coast and PNW and the other would be Dallas/Austin and possibly Indianapolis.

The allure of being able to go to Austin once a month is HUGE.

What do you do exactly?

and then got a gig with an architecture firm (more money/responsibility)

that part made me giggle...sorry.

signed-

Architects.

What does your gut say?  I know it sounds cliche but I think you know deep down what’s more appealing.  Based on the brief summary of each it seems, from my perspective of someone who doesn’t know you, you are more excited about the manufactured home builder opportunity.

What does your gut say?  I know it sounds cliche but I think you know deep down what’s more appealing.  Based on the brief summary of each it seems, from my perspective of someone who doesn’t know you, you are more excited about the manufactured home builder opportunity.
I agree with this. Quick read says you'd take the manufactured home position, but have trouble saying no to the safety of a company you already know.

Not to be the negative nancy, but if I'm understanding correctly, you haven't even interviewed with the manufactured home place yet, much less received an offer. I guess I would't stress it too much until I was a little further along in the process. But it sounds like either option would be much better than where you are currently if you do get an offer. Good luck!

In the end, I would choose culture over opportunity.  I’m too old to get excited about potential and ifcomes.

What do you do exactly?

and then got a gig with an architecture firm (more money/responsibility)

that part made me giggle...sorry.

signed-

Architects.
I have done pretty much everything in the real estate development and construction industry.  Everything but financial analysis.  Pre-acquisition due diligence, entitlements processing, project management, construction progress inspections, etc.

At the time (2000ish), I wasn't making that much and the architecture firm offered me 10% more than I was currently making.  

I actually went to work for another architecture firm about 2 years ago (doing entitlements) and they paid OK.

Not to be the negative nancy, but if I'm understanding correctly, you haven't even interviewed with the manufactured home place yet, much less received an offer. I guess I would't stress it too much until I was a little further along in the process. But it sounds like either option would be much better than where you are currently if you do get an offer. Good luck!
You're right.

I had a phone interview with the company's recruiter and she sounded pretty excited and eager to get me in front of the COO.  Which I will be doing on Tuesday.

Thanks!

You're right.

I had a phone interview with the company's recruiter and she sounded pretty excited and eager to get me in front of the COO.  Which I will be doing on Tuesday.

Thanks!
Don't listen to him.  You've got this.  While your there, sleep with the recruiter to let them know you're not a man they want to low ball.

This is good. You haven’t even met the COO yet. Don’t get ahead of yourself. You’ve thought it through to this point and you know what questions to ask and the tipping points. Have fun exploring the opportunities and let it play out.

Users who are viewing this thread